Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1327) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440055 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1324) (1325) (1326) (1327) (1328) (1329) (1330) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nezzjnr:
I'm really learning a lot from you guys

Please how about Water production

Most people are saying that the market is too saturated
Please My Bosses
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 6:05pm On Jun 16, 2020
Wait o, all these debt we are talking about that FG is owing, shey majority of them are all these TB, Sukuk and bonds that FG is buying apart from the IMF and Chinese loans?

ahiboilandgas:
sure i have some holdings too .thank God we are sell in the secondary markets ...we we are not comfortable with pay back abilities
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
ojesymsym:
Wait o, all these debt we are talking about that FG is owing, shey majority of them are all these TB, Sukuk and bonds that FG is buying apart from the IMF and Chinese loans?

inclusive ....total debt position vs revenue ....pmb is a disaster

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 6:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
But with the price of crude crashing this year being our only major income source why the surprise?
Look at it like this, if crude oil increases the revenue side will increase so that the debt to revenue ratio will also begin to reduce. In my opinion, it was bound to happen being a mini economy.
ahiboilandgas:
inclusive ....total debt position vs revenue ....pmb is a disaster
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 6:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:
Nobody predicted Corona. Even Warren Buffet who have been investing for decades bought billions worth of Delta Airlines shares and sold at a loss. As a result, many millennials on Reddit that made profit on Delta stock have been expressing ecstasy as to how better they are in the investment world than someone who's been doing it for decades.

The difference is this: Warren's failure (or long term thinking) was publicized but nobody has a clue what other stocks these millennials have lost hugely on in their portfolios.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if FGN defaults on bonds we have more things to worry about as a nation.

As I always say, it is sweet to be shouting feminism in Nigeria and demanding for equal rights while men in countries like Iran are not even enjoying basic comfort that warrants anyone singing equality melodies to their ears.

Lol
Lmao

I saw one supposed guy like that (forgotten his name) clowning Wareen Buffet and calling his investment style outdated and obsolete

All these new players in this game cheesy

They always amuse me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 6:46pm On Jun 16, 2020
Cyberknight:
Lol.
Perhaps the end game is to take interest rates close to that of the UK (base rate is 0.1%, projected to hit zero by next quarter), and the US (federal funds rate is 0.25%) to compel "investors" to move out of safe harbours invest in the real economy the CBN keeps hyping.

But the risk premium in the "Nigerian real economy" is too high.

Hence that policy is doomed to be ineffective
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 6:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
unite4real:
All those that invested in the Sukuk and wanting to know whether they are successful or not. Know this.

I got a letter from Lotus capital that i was successful with full allocation but that I will get the allocation details by email before the end of the week.

Preety bad I missed out. When is another sukuk coming up, is it an annual occurrence?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rmx: 7:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
GonFreecss1:

1. If you didn’t know there would be future production cuts, then you have not been following these things long enough. Note that in that period, there wasn’t even a production cut, it was just no sales! Worse than a production cut could ever be. So what is your point?

2. Also wrong sir. Go and check the historical charts of the external reserve and see how sharp it went down. Hovered around this? Lol! Bros! I am beginning to believe what those guys meant about your points days back.

3. I am not talking about oil. I was talking about Dollar to naira rates. In which due to the fact that oil had not been sold for a long time, would affect it and due to the fact as with number 1 above - production cuts! Like I said, if you have been following these things for a while you will understand.

4. Hahahahaha. If you don’t know why the Nigerian government decided to borrow money instead of spending down to that Number, bros... then there is still a lot more you need to understand.

You say luck? grin grin grin grin grin

I am not the bragging type, but my buying power says otherwise.

Your seem to understand than most this issue of naira exchange rate and I have read with smiles a lot of discuss on oil and naira exchange rates and people not being able to see the correlation and how things eventually turned up and forming knowledgeable

Nobody is right all the time and knows exactly how things will pan out , but if peeps dint know by at least February/ March that things might go south with the naira then they should try to learn against future occurrence because it might happen again , don’t know when, maybe another 3/4/5 years if nothing changes . I think inflow of foreign investor dollars has been reducing since 2nd/3rd quarter last year and accelerated 1st quarter this year due to corona and collapse of oil prices , so we have now low oil prices and reduced volumes to sell due to demand shock and by forced cuts later

That naira has been steadily losing value over the last 40 years or more all due to myriads of factors , oil/lng prices and volume of production being one of them is not debatable , others important ones will be level of remittances by Nigerians in diaspora , how Nigeria is seen as an investment destination , this depends on the government in power and policies and will determine the amount of fdi /portfolio investment that comes in , increased appetite for imported items particularly as our middle class increases ,corruption , overall population size etc

People have been saying all sorts about the Cbn being able to defend the naira in 2016 /2017 , if our import bills and all transfers out of Nigeria is more than what we get as income from all sources eg remittance , oil and gas income , fdi and fpi , etc naira will be under pressure and will fall , no two ways , it’s a Question of time

I remembered prices of oil going down during the last year of Jonathan and purchasing forex for some imports nov /dec 2014 at higher than normal rates of around 190/ 195 outside the normal window, official rates must have been 170/180 or so then , pressure pretty much continued throughout 2015 , remembered buying a large amount of forex for another transaction around September 2015 at 220/230

By June/ July 2016 rates were moved by the Cbn from 200 to 260/280 officially, pressure continued and rates were eventually moved to 306/320 official Cbn rates and for banks , bdc , I and e window at 360 sometime in 2017/2018 I and e window was created to take pressure off the naira sometimes in 2017/2018 , black market rate got to 520 based on speculations before receding to slightly above 360 , so in effect devaluation from 200 to 360 happened over a protracted period of 2/3 years

A combination of things in my opinion happened that caused this massive devaluation particularly in 2016/2017 , oil prices continued to go down and the bombings , destruction of pipelines and infrastructure in the niger delta resulting in production reducing to about 1 to 1.2 m barrels , also a lot of fdi and fpi stayed off Nigeria 2015/2016/ 2017 because of uncertainty and lack of clear directions on investment from the new govt

Also note naira lost value under previous civilian govts, Obasanjo , Jonathan etc but not as much as under the current , and I have been importing and opening form m’s and letters of credit for close to 20years if not on a monthly basis , maybe every other month at least

Point to note also - strategic players/import as recognized by Cbn are simply manufacturers for importation of raw /packaging materials and machineries and they were to be giving priority over others especially importers of finished products as mandated by the Cbn ,dint always play out like that however . Also note There is an import prohibition list and some items were added by the Cbn 2016/17 to curb imports and preserve the reserve. The Same is being done in this current crisis , i have 6/7 lc transaction since February / March that have have been partially transmitted due to $ shortages

Will leave story of financial crises of 08/10 and how it affected the naira for another day

Dangote refinery might change the narrative as regards our import bill , time will tell

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nigeria cannot default easily as many here are insinuating, Nigeria is more sophisticated than you guys think, but our biggest problem as a nation is corruption, about 60% of money Nigeria had borrowed so far ended up in the hands of (govt officials) criminals one way or another. We just have to put our house in order. The biggest churches in South Africa are owned by Nigerians, while the biggest businesses in Nigeria are owned by South Africans. It is all a matter of setting our priorities straight.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
Donbrig:
Nigeria cannot default easily as many here are insinuating, Nigeria is more sophisticated than you guys think, but our biggest problem as a nation is corruption, about 60% of money Nigeria had borrowed so far ended up in the hands of (govt officials) criminals one way or another. We just have to put our house in order. The biggest churches in South Africa are owned by Nigerians, while the biggest businesses in Nigeria are owned by South Africans. It is all a matter of setting our priorities straight.

I'm not necessarily basing my investment assumptions on a premise that things will go wrong, but Greece had way better fundamentals in 2015 than Nigeria has now, and look what happened there.

The bolded simply supports an assertion that things can go wrong.
With the fall in TB yields, a "sudden stop" in fpi and all that entails is no longer unimaginable. I'm not a supporter of devaluation, because I don't think the Nigerian economy will derive any of the positive effects (such as encouraging increased local production, which in Nigeria is bedevilled by issues way beyond simply rendering imported products uncompetitive), but I can see that it might become necessary some time very soon.

At some point the FG has to embark upon aggressive revenue raising moves, because we all know they're not going to make any cuts to expenditure where its needed (the bloated government at all levels). There is a very low limit to the amount that can be squeezed out of this economy without draconian measures.

And so on.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
sure i have some holdings too .thank God we are sell in the secondary markets ...we we are not comfortable with pay back abilities
Exactly!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
AdaoraNK:

Lol... You will have to keep your 'torchlight' on, steady.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 8:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
ojesymsym:
But with the price of crude crashing this year being our only major income source why the surprise?
Look at it like this, if crude oil increases the revenue side will increase so that the debt to revenue ratio will also begin to reduce. In my opinion, it was bound to happen being a mini economy.

If you want to borrow money,one important factor to consider is the ability to pay the loan back.
We have taken too much loan in recent years than what our revenue can cope with.
Before the recent fall in oil price,we were already using more than 50% of our revenue to service our debt. We keep increasing our debt everyday while revenue was not increasing.

To make matter worse, pmb advisers said borrowing in dollars was better than in naira and they kept increasing foreign denominated loans at alarming rate.
With a fall in oil price,we had no option than to devalue our currency.
That official movement of naira to dollar exchange from about 305 to about 360 increased the cost of servicing our dollar denominated loans by about 15%.

I don't know how this will end but I know Nigeria economic situation is in a very bad shape.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:32pm On Jun 16, 2020
Understood.

pluto09:

If you want to borrow money,one important factor to consider is the ability to pay the loan back.
We have taken too much loan in recent years than what our revenue can cope with.
Before the recent fall in oil price,we were already using more than 50% of our revenue to service our debt. We keep increasing our debt everyday while revenue was not increasing.

To make matter worse, pmb advisers said borrowing in dollars was better than in naira and they kept increasing foreign denominated loans at alarming rate.
With a fall in oil price,we had no option than to devalue our currency.
That official movement of naira to dollar exchange from about 305 to about 360 increased the cost of servicing our dollar denominated loans by about 15%.

I don't know how this will end but I know Nigeria economic situation is in a very bad shape.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 8:34pm On Jun 16, 2020
Quite an interesting debate.

From my basic understanding of life in general there’s always an associated risk(s) when it comes to making choices and investing isn’t left out.

Personally, I would be more worried not for my investment but what would be come of the country as a whole if FGN begins to default on its obligations.

We know bonds are risky but for a risk adverse individual, if not bonds as a form of diversity what next.

Even bank deposit or liquid cash won’t be safe if the aforementioned happens.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 8:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
Philantropists:
The lifespan of Nigerian bonds will soon reach it's elastic limit, the debts has been stretched beyond limits, the country Nigeria won't be able to repay the debt in 250 years from now, it is too much debt, the solution for the government is to keep servicing. There will come a point when the foreign investors will carry their money then Nigeria will be left with local investors money, we are not far from it. Sukuk was to borrow N150 billion but they ended up borrowing N162 billion, what is the plan for the additional N12 billion? Nothing but to embezzle.

It has happened in Zimbabwe, It has happened in Venezuela, it is happening now in Nigeria. Bonds are good in a growing economy but Nigerian economy is at decline phase. Recently i realized the money generated from 1 year bond period is what i can make within 6 months of investing at the right place, eye opener indeed.
Obviously it is better to have your money work for you but there are better aspects that generates double. Recently i made N1.3m interest within 2 months doing nothing, this same amount i would have to wait one year with fixed bonds capital of N13m to generate that interest. In another 2 months i will make another 1.3m doing almost nothing, short term investment is a key to wealth multiplication.

Do u care to share the risk free business that is giving u 10% every six months?

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Destinydele: 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
Greeting to thé gurus in thé house...Please, help à brother...I have account with stanbic Bank .How Can i get Bond from secondary market ?? Presently living in Bénin city edo state and i have 16m to invest..Do you people Know any investmen house in edo state that will agreed to sell Bond in secondary market?? Thanks as i await your contributions..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Destinydele: 9:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
Greeting to thé gurus in thé house...Please, help à brother...I have account with stanbic Bank .How Can i get Bond from secondary market ?? Presently living in Bénin city edo state and i have 16m to invest..Do you people Know any investmen house in edo state that will agreed to sell Bond in secondary market?? Thanks as i await your contributions...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
ositadima1:

Do u care to share the risk free business that is giving u 10% every six months?

May be crowdfunding. Anything of that rate will definitely carry more risk than bonds though, except it's a business.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 9:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
Destinydele:
Greeting to thé gurus in thé house...Please, help à brother...I have account with stanbic Bank .How Can i get Bond from secondary market ?? Presently living in Bénin city edo state and i have 16m to invest..Do you people Know any investmen house in edo state that will agreed to sell Bond in secondary market?? Thanks as i await your contributions...

Send Stanbic an email na oga.

Emmasoft, a new client perhaps?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 9:15pm On Jun 16, 2020
Destinydele:

Contact stockbroking@stanbicibtc.com.. Be careful here

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Destinydele: 9:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ok ..i will do just that..Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 9:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
Destinydele:

Actually you can buy bond from the secondary market from the comfort of your home or office irrespective of where your fund is domicile or where you reside at the moment.

All you need to do is contact us at investment one (Former GTBank asset management) and you are good to go. Click the link on my signature to open account online. My contact is also there.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2020
Oga u funny oo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2020
ukay2:

Loooooool

Na oga Ahinbingas de deal on imported Truk parts, so he needs to over analyse the FGN to avoid losses.

Am hoping make this FGN debt issues relate to NTB at 18%, FGN Bonds at discount prices

No be over analysis and headaches be my problem

PMB and other top government functionaries are sleeping well at home, na me go come de drink panadol for them....

Oga you funny ooooo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 11:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Chai naira from 40k in 2014 to 83k .....we are designed to be poor by oyinbo

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Galactico4ever(m): 11:47pm On Jun 16, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Chai naira from 40k in 2014 to 83k .....we are designed to be poor by oyinbo
I will still blame buhari and his cabinet
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 12:12am On Jun 17, 2020
What of if we take the advise of Pro full devaluation, how e for come be.
Galactico4ever:
I will still blame buhari and his cabinet
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gnykelly(m): 12:50am On Jun 17, 2020
ukay2:

I lost heavily in bank PHB. ..I see it as school fees payments in NSE and am better now and making more profits now after paying school fees in my early days in NSE.

Some people ran away from NSE then and never came back, but I refused to back out from NSE and am happy now.

Also have equities and Bonds in NYSE via Trove App

if I may ask what percentage cut does trove charges. do i need a dorm act
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 6:11am On Jun 17, 2020
rmx:

Your seem to understand than most this issue of naira exchange rate and I have read with smiles a lot of discuss on oil and naira exchange rates and people not being able to see the correlation and how things eventually turned up and forming knowledgeable

Nobody is right all the time and knows exactly how things will pan out , but if peeps dint know by at least February/ March that things might go south with the naira then they should try to learn against future occurrence because it might happen again , don’t know when, maybe another 3/4/5 years if nothing changes . I think inflow of foreign investor dollars has been reducing since 2nd/3rd quarter last year and accelerated 1st quarter this year due to corona and collapse of oil prices , so we have now low oil prices and reduced volumes to sell due to demand shock and by forced cuts later

Will leave story of financial crises of 08/10 and how it affected the naira for another day

Dangote refinery might change the narrative as regards our import bill , time will tell

You are very knowledgeable too and actually understand the point I was trying to drive home.

The financial crisis you talk about is quite sad because it affected my old man. Some of his friends even died because of that period. The NSE was at an all time high and the crash that followed...

As for the Dangote Refinery, it’s one of the things that gives me hope and encouragement. It might start with oil and continue with many other things, let’s see how things go. I am little bit pessimistic, but I am hoping things go well. We all could use a little bit of optimism right now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 6:23am On Jun 17, 2020
Phyde:
Interest rates are really dropping. I'm sure MMFs are not exempted cry

and I just sign up for this........ Chai
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaoyibo: 8:32am On Jun 17, 2020
Can you give some examples of this kind of short term investment?
Philantropists:
The lifespan of Nigerian bonds will soon reach it's elastic limit, the debts has been stretched beyond limits, the country Nigeria won't be able to repay the debt in 250 years from now, it is too much debt, the solution for the government is to keep servicing. There will come a point when the foreign investors will carry their money then Nigeria will be left with local investors money, we are not far from it. Sukuk was to borrow N150 billion but they ended up borrowing N162 billion, what is the plan for the additional N12 billion? Nothing but to embezzle.

It has happened in Zimbabwe, It has happened in Venezuela, it is happening now in Nigeria. Bonds are good in a growing economy but Nigerian economy is at decline phase. Recently i realized the money generated from 1 year bond period is what i can make within 6 months of investing at the right place, eye opener indeed.
Obviously it is better to have your money work for you but there are better aspects that generates double. Recently i made N1.3m interest within 2 months doing nothing, this same amount i would have to wait one year with fixed bonds capital of N13m to generate that interest. In another 2 months i will make another 1.3m doing almost nothing, short term investment is a key to wealth multiplication.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1324) (1325) (1326) (1327) (1328) (1329) (1330) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.