Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,940 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1357) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439367 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1354) (1355) (1356) (1357) (1358) (1359) (1360) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 9:27pm On Jun 24, 2020
ositadima1:
Regarding the yen vs usd comparison, I think that exchange rate alone does not measure wellbeing of the economy.

You also need to factor average earnings of the citizens of that country. A cleaner in Japan can buy a new Toyota sedan after saving seriously for 3 to 4 years, same in the USA.

A cleaner in Nigeria cant do that in the next 15 years.

We are not even talking about the economy. Lol.

Just the “currency”. Currency is not just the value relative to another currency. The actual amount in circulation matters a lot. Just like how shares outstanding matters for stock.

Never have I heard someone say “Nestle” has more value or is more expensive than “Dangote Cement” because of it’s price. And say “Nominal price”. Who actually does that?

Can it exchange for more? Yes! But that’s just about it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 9:31pm On Jun 24, 2020
GonFreecss1:

Just the “currency”. Currency is not just the value relative to another currency. The actual amount in circulation matters a lot. Just like how shares outstanding matters for stock.

Never have I heard someone say “Nestle” has more value or is more expensive than “Dangote Cement” because of it’s price. And say “Nominal price”. Who actually does that?

What did you study in school?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 10:55pm On Jun 24, 2020
GonFreecss1:

I understand your point. What I was saying is exchange rate may be insignificant to residents of a particular country. For example 10, 000 squids(imaginary currency) may exchange for 1 USD but some guy earns enough squids to live same standard of life as an American who is in a similar job. To that guy the fact dat 10, 000 is to 1 doesn't mean much. We are saying the same thing sha.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SirBen90: 11:18pm On Jun 24, 2020
Now that we have all aired our views on currency, Ghana vs Nigeria, and whatnot grin, let's move on please. Taink You.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 11:40pm On Jun 24, 2020
SirBen90:
Now that we have all aired our views on currency, Ghana vs Nigeria, and whatnot grin, let's move on please. Taink You.

All the banter happened because some were triggered that I would rather invest in Ghana than Nigeria if given tbe choice tongue

In their mind
How can he say that? cheesy

Na I'm cause talk o
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SirBen90: 11:43pm On Jun 24, 2020
DexterousOne:

All the banter happened because some were triggered that I would rather invest in Ghana than Nigeria if given tbe choice tongue

In their mind
How can he say that? cheesy

Na I'm cause talk o
Bruh....U no say Las Las na naija be awa own....even if u wan invest for Ghana....keep ahm for mind.....look what U've done cry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nwokeomajayb: 3:46am On Jun 25, 2020
wow

Sholapey:
I bought a plot of land in an estate at magboro for 4m naira then €20000. I sold it in 2017 for 5m naira, in naira I gained 1m but lost about €6000. Since then I learnt never to convert my foreign currency to naira again. I only invest naira ROI in Nigeria and my foreign income in foreign investment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 25, 2020
Theconglomerate:
I wanted to say this.
No one can access their dorm accounts now.No bank will pay you dollars now.
I'm sure if you request for the money to be converted to naira,they'll pay you immediately.
Reason I always advise against this.Dorm account is useless in times like this.
Better get offshore aza jejely.

Which kin false information be dis

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 10:07am On Jun 25, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 12:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
ositadima1:
An interesting way to estimate true exchange rate. Take for example samsung galaxy s10 plus, this phone should have the same functionality anywhere and so same value irrespective of location right?

It costs about $600 on Amazon and #315,000 on Jumia. If I divide 315,000 by 600 I get about 525. If I am to neglect transportation cost differences I can say that $1 is worth about #525.

Anyway, The Economist did same with McDonald's burgers which they called Big Mac Index.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
I need to read up on this. Interesting!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Onboard1: 12:25pm On Jun 25, 2020
tumababa:

Which kin false information be dis

Give us the accurate information pls
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2020
Onboard1:

Give us the accurate information pls

Let's put this debate to rest abeg.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Stevyne: 5:44pm On Jun 25, 2020
topsquino:

You can access money from your Dom account. I withdrew more than $10,000 from GTB 2 days ago

Topsquino

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2020
topsquino:

You can access money from your Dom account. I withdrew more than $10,000 from GTB 2 days ago

Boss!!! Show me love abeg. Any amount go do.
2105796125 UBA ��.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:05pm On Jun 25, 2020
oyedav:
Boss!!! Show me love abeg. Any amount go do.
2105796125 UBA ��.

Please send a private message to him, he will get across to you if need be.

We don't encourage begging on this thread.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
You guys should be careful of the type of information you share here. The guy I quoted there is a professional beggar on Nairaland.

The funniest thing is that these beggars are very active on the betting and forex threads

Slow and steady is the way to building a sustainable wealth

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 6:21pm On Jun 25, 2020
emmanuelewumi:
You guys should be careful of the type of information you share here. The guy I quoted there is a professional beggar on Nairaland.

The funniest thing is that these beggars are very active on the betting and forex threads

Thank you Sir.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AdaoraNK(f): 6:50pm On Jun 25, 2020
ositadima1:
An interesting way to estimate true exchange rate. Take for example samsung galaxy s10 plus, this phone should have the same functionality anywhere and so same value irrespective of location right?

It costs about $600 on Amazon and #315,000 on Jumia. If I divide 315,000 by 600 I get about 525. If I am to neglect transportation cost differences I can say that $1 is worth about #525.

Anyway, The Economist did same with McDonald's burgers which they called Big Mac Index.

Make me understand why you used $600 as the basis of knowing the true worth of naira to USD using Amazon and Jumia pricing as a case study.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 6:54pm On Jun 25, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Thanks. I've modified my post
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lifeevents: 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2020
MrMcJay:

So sorry to hear of your dad's experience.

@ the bolded, to get legit land in Lagos, you need:

A realistic budget,

Avoid payment by instalments,

Physically visit the land,

Get a registered Surveyor to pick up the physical coordinates of the land and chart it to be sure it doesn't fall under government acquisition,

Get a Property lawyer to undertake verification of the land,

Verification is not only at Alausa or of only documents, verify the sellers to be sure they aren't impostors and they have the right to sell,

Speak to people living near the land. The information that vulcanizer or fruit seller near the property would give you can save you from losing millions. Ask them.

Let your lawyer prepare your documents and at the point of payment, the sellers must sign. No stories.

Immediately you pay, start building your fence. If possible, pay like 60% of the cost of the land and once fencing is done, pay up the balance of 40%.

Once the transaction is done and you've received your documentation, try to perfect your title at the Lands Registry.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 7:17pm On Jun 25, 2020
ositadima1:

So I have been thinking about this. I found a fault in it which is that you used an imported item. The price in Naira is already based in the fallacious exchange rates.

I think a good test will be to compare price of a bag of rice or any other commodity consumed in both countries
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AdaoraNK(f): 8:00pm On Jun 25, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Please send a private message to him, he will get across to you if need be.

We don't encourage begging on this thread.

Gbam! We share ideas, knowledge and learn here.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2020
Olaide1295:

So I have been thinking about this. I found a fault in it which is that you used an imported item. The price in Naira is already based in the fallacious exchange rates.

I think a good test will be to compare price of a bag of rice or any other commodity consumed in both countries

You are right to some extent. But, Samsung is owned by south Korea, the phone is made outside the usa. So, both USA and Nigeria are importing the same phone from same manufacturer, except Jumia sourced the phone from the usa which I doubt. I don't know, but if it was just fallacious exchange rate then it should be #420 × $600 = #252000 , again assuming both retailers sourced from same source and roughly gained same profits.

Anyway, the link explained it in more detail.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 8:29pm On Jun 25, 2020
AdaoraNK:

Make me understand why you used $600 as the basis of knowing the true worth of naira to USD using Amazon and Jumia pricing as a case study.

Phone is the exact same in both countries. An American will spend 600 units of their currency to buy it. A Nigerian spends 315000 units to do same.

Meaning for every dollar spent by the American a Nigerian spends 525 naira (315000 ÷ 600).

I believe it is just a rough estimate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nwokeomajayb: 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2020
You can only use that formula in a regulated market. Naija is exposed to bootleg and unregulated prices. Remembered back in 2015 I do buy phones of 20k and I’ll sell 50k depending on the customer. Unregulated dollar out will give you unregulated Naira in. Think about that and you’ll see how bias you are with the analysis

��‍♂️��‍♂️
ositadima1:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nwokeomajayb: 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2020
shocked shocked.
AdaoraNK:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nwokeomajayb: 11:04pm On Jun 25, 2020
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
ositadima1:

You are right to some extent. But, Samsung is owned by south Korea, the phone is made outside the usa. So, both USA and Nigeria are importing the same phone from same manufacturer, except Jumia sourced the phone from the usa which I doubt. I don't know, but if it was just fallacious exchange rate then it should be #420 × $600 = #252000 , again assuming both retailers sourced from same source and roughly gained same profits.

Anyway, the link explained it in more detail.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 12:22am On Jun 26, 2020
Nwokeomajayb:
I left computer village and I’m in a better position to tell you that you’re wrong with this analysis. We do buy from China and Hong Kong. We peg our prices according to the expenditure and demand. I’ve sold a phone with 40k profit even more than that. I’m talking about real deal because slot and Jumia do buy from us. Don’t mention that naira overvalued again please because it’s not true.

I checked Jumia again and it appears that the least price was #290000. #290000/$600 = 483

Ok, you are correct, their is a lot to consider. Maybe, price in a Samsung direct outlet in Nigeria should give a better comparison.

Mind you, I didn't come up with the concept, I am not that clever wink , if you go through the article you will also see a similar comparisons made by an Australian bank with ipods which they called Ipod Index.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nwokeomajayb: 12:41am On Jun 26, 2020
ositadima1:

I checked Jumia again and it appears that the least price was #290000. #290000/$600 = 483

Ok, you are correct, their is a lot to consider. Maybe, price in a Samsung direct outlet in Nigeria should give a better comparison.

Mind you, I didn't come up with the concept, I am not that clever wink , if you go through the article you will also see a similar comparisons made by an Australian bank with ipods which they called Ipod Index.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 1:44am On Jun 26, 2020
https://nairametrics.com/2020/02/18/cbns-forex-intervention-is-counter-productive-manufacturers/

smiley
If a whole MAN who has cheap dollars to their advantage is complaining,I wonder why some argue this glaring fact.
CBN commot hand for naira,if una like make una no listen.Keep pleasing the fùcking masses at the expense of the nation's industrialisation.
If you want buy import,please pay the real price for it and stop enjoying free subsidy because of Nigeria leaders quest for re-election.
Bankruptcy awaits una las las...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Diyke4rich: 4:48am On Jun 26, 2020
I have done importation business wey back, you forget one thing, the price of jumia will be more expensive meaning they will add their commission, the seller will add his expenses such as cost of clearing, transportation and profit, therefore your analysis is very wrong, *thus*? your analyses cannot determine the true value of naira

ositadima1:

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1354) (1355) (1356) (1357) (1358) (1359) (1360) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.