Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,601 members, 7,840,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4473953 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2235) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by simplibaba(m): 11:26am On Oct 22, 2015
mekaboy:

I think the rates will go up as soon as the 2016 budget is ready, you know the govt has past its borrowing limits for 2015 and they r still borrowing. When its time to borrow for 2016, the rates will be more attractive.

Hopefully november 19th auction rate should b better provided 2016 budget is ready by then
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:42am On Oct 22, 2015
mekaboy:

cbn stop rate for 364 is 10.81? i thought it was 12%.

When was this auction?

21ST OCT AUCTION

91 DAYS ---8.49%

182 DAYS ---10.15%

364 DAYS ---10.81%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 12:23pm On Oct 22, 2015
Poor for 365

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 12:43pm On Oct 22, 2015
feelamong:

21ST OCT AUCTION

91 DAYS ---8.49%

182 DAYS ---10.15%

364 DAYS ---10.81%

The idea is to get people to invest in other areas of the economy instead of lending to govt . This is also to discourage banks who are rushing to grab bonds instead of lending to businesses.

If the rates go down, it will no longer be profitable for banks and their fixed deposit rates will be affected.

People will also be discouraged from fixed deposits.

But its for a while, as the rates go down people will refuse to buy tbils and bonds ate that rate. Govt will need to borrow massively if they want to live up to expectation.

For now it will hit the banks hard as they will no longer be able to meet up with their fixed deposit rates.

Forcing them to lend to businesses.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by udysweet(f): 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2015
For the 2nd time in a month,my bank cldnt go thru wit again wit the bidding sayin it was unsuccessful and my account creditted back. Anyone else experienced it? Wat else can one invest in that can fetch one a gud profit and safe?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slimtriggaman: 1:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
I Second the rates improving in 2016..precisely first quarter because there would be alot of liquidity due to the amount of money borrowed since beginning of this year due to crash in oil prices inorder to balance a deficit budget
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2015
feelamong:

i think this govt is sending some serious message to us all...we all should go and do some real businesses and get productive. seems the days for easy easy money is gradually coming to an end (if its sustainable)

maybe na to go begin farm now cheesy

on a serious note, its time to start looking at taking some sort of risk in other investment vehicles

yes bro u right. but one need to diversify. maybe real estate will be more profitable now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Daddi: 7:51pm On Oct 22, 2015
udysweet:
For the 2nd time in a month,my bank cldnt go thru wit again wit the bidding sayin it was unsuccessful and my account creditted back. Anyone else experienced it? Wat else can one invest in that can fetch one a gud profit and safe?
I don't state rate, just allow them to go with their prevailing rates. Like the 21st October bid I got 8% for 91days, which I'm convinced it's fair. So with that its always hard to get my bids unsuccessful. Better luck next time
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by quertyquack: 8:16pm On Oct 22, 2015
Unfounded optimism. The low rates suit the FG quite well. They will remain so for a while. The TSA has delivered fresh lifelines as well as leakages that have been plugged. There is so much liquidity in the market. Plus too much investor funds. Don't see it changing except crude takes a massive hit.
mekaboy:

I think the rates will go up as soon as the 2016 budget is ready, you know the govt has past its borrowing limits for 2015 and they r still borrowing. When its time to borrow for 2016, the rates will be more attractive.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 9:00pm On Oct 22, 2015
quertyquack:
Unfounded optimism. The low rates suit the FG quite well. They will remain so for a while. The TSA has delivered fresh lifelines as well as leakages that have been plugged. There is so much liquidity in the market. Plus too much investor funds. Don't see it changing except crude takes a massive hit.

It will suit them till people stop buying. They will still have to payout matured funds at some point. They r just trying get get investors to invest in other areas. Lets watch ans see.

Like I said about govt targeting banks with this, i heard some banks have already started telling their customers they cant pay them the agreed rates on interest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slimtriggaman: 5:55am On Oct 23, 2015
Anybody with successful zenith bank bid for 91 days tenor?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by udysweet(f): 6:31am On Oct 23, 2015
Thanks a lot. But I actually don't state rate,I used 1st bank and its my 2nd time(3ce actually) dey did one for me in August. But dis oct 6th own ddnt sail thru but I later saw dey tried again for 15th. So its my 3rd trial wch was for 21st october dat ddnt suceed,I'm hoping der wld be anoda opportunity again b4 October runs out
Daddi:
I don't state rate, just allow them to go with their prevailing rates. Like the 21st October bid I got 8% for 91days, which I'm convinced it's fair. So with that its always hard to get my bids unsuccessful. Better luck next time
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 11:41pm On Oct 23, 2015
I saw on channels tv that the 2024 bond yield was up to 17.5% but what i saw from the cbn site for the last auction was 13.87% so where did they get the 17% from?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 2:55am On Oct 24, 2015
udysweet:
Thanks a lot. But I actually don't state rate,I used 1st bank and its my 2nd time(3ce actually) dey did one for me in August. But dis oct 6th own ddnt sail thru but I later saw dey tried again for 15th. So its my 3rd trial wch was for 21st october dat ddnt suceed,I'm hoping der wld be anoda opportunity again b4 October runs out

Same here.
I use first bank,and the their last failed.
I am keeping faith for a successful one at the next bidding.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by udysweet(f): 6:31am On Oct 24, 2015
Yeah I pray too. Dey refunded me,I'm hoping its this month tho

tolutweety:

Same here.
I use first bank,and the their last failed.
I am keeping faith for a successful one at the next bidding.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2015
udysweet:
Yeah I pray too. Dey refunded me,I'm hoping its this month tho

Nope. It's every fortnight.

Next is 5th Nov.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chikkaobi(m): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
Please can someone clarify for me why people go for 1yr TBills instead of 91days tenure?
In a situation where 91days is 10%, 180days is 12% and 365 days is 14%

Why will anyone wanna go for 365 days tenure?
Or is the 10% for 91days fake?

Assuming I have 1million
Going for 91days gives me 100,000 ROI on 10% right?
Or is this wrong?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tziz(m): 6:15pm On Oct 25, 2015
chikkaobi:
Please can someone clarify for me why people go for 1yr TBills instead of 91days tenure?

Assuming I have 1million
Or is this wrong?
Slow down bruh.
Divide dat 100,000 by 4, yes, the answer is wat u get for 91days tenure. 25k.
If its for 364days, goin wit ur rate (14%) den u get 140,000.
Dats it. If its for 182days, den calculate the rate and divide by 2, if its for 91days, u divide by 4.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bond yields to fall futher next week according to channels tv.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by quertyquack: 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
LOL! 100k for 1m in 91days. You sef check am now.
chikkaobi:

Assuming I have 1million
Or is this wrong?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chikkaobi(m): 1:29am On Oct 26, 2015
tziz:

Slow down bruh.
Divide dat 100,000 by 4, yes, the answer is wat u get for 91days tenure. 25k.
If its for 364days, goin wit ur rate (14%) den u get 140,000.
Dats it. If its for 182days, den calculate the rate and divide by 2, if its for 91days, u divide by 4.

quertyquack:
LOL! 100k for 1m in 91days. You sef check am now.

Weew... Then stanbic has given me wrong info if this is the case.
Because I was wondering why anyone will wanna go for 1yr when 91days ROI is almost same with it.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.
Waiting for a whole year for a 14% ROI on 1m?

Mehn, I think I'll just have to "Take a bow and Go trade Forex"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reyus: 6:14am On Oct 26, 2015
chikkaobi:

Because I was wondering why anyone will wanna go for 1yr when 91days ROI is almost same with it.
Goodluck bro.

I somehow don't see Tbills as an investment or business idea. I see it as a kind of interest-yeilding savings account for idle funds or money-miss-road.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
Enjoy your forex and be sure that you are the one that will trade it. If it is that lucrative for you to invest 1mill and get 1.1mill for just 30 days then it would not b as risk free as T.B.. I gave a friend money N250000 for this forex at 10% monthly for and after the expiration of our agree period of 6 months, its been 2 extra months no interest and my capital hasn't come out.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 2:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
@feelamong, please i send you a mail i got from fidelity securities, i want you to help scrutinize it. i await your response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 2:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
confluence:
@feelamong, please i send you a mail i got from fidelity securities, i want you to help scrutinize it. i await your response.

mail replied.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 2:57pm On Oct 26, 2015
@feelamong replied seen, i sent you another now thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
confluence:
@feelamong replied seen, i sent you another now thanks

replied.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chemali: 4:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
chikkaobi:

There is a fairly accurate excel calculator for returns from Tbills at the bottom of this page:

http://www.iwilltalk.com/investing-in-treasury-bills-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
chikkaobi:

Were u given 14% on 365days... ??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 6:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
freeman67:
Enjoy your forex and be sure that you are the one that will trade it. If it is that lucrative for you to invest 1mill and get 1.1mill for just 30 days then it would not b as risk free as T.B.. I gave a friend money N250000 for this forex at 10% monthly for and after the expiration of our agree period of 6 months, its been 2 extra months no interest and my capital hasn't come out.

Pls do u mean u lend someone 250k @10% for the purpose of forex trading and he fails to remit any amount to u?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bigdot1759(m): 7:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
freeman67:
just dat u fail to do ur research wella, cuz if u have a Forex signal provider wit copy trade dat can guarantee u 40%/months

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (2235) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.