Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440811 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1470) (1471) (1472) (1473) (1474) (1475) (1476) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 7:10am On Aug 06, 2020
Dear Clients,

Over the past few months, there has been a reduction in the interest rates of investments your monies are usually put in. These include treasury bills, bonds and money market instruments.
These rates have continued to fall over time.

We’ve been able to hold off reducing your interest rates for the past few months, however, it is imperative that we review this now to reflect current market realities.

From Saturday 8th August 2020, we’ll we reviewing our rates downward.

What’s Changing?

zSave: Interest rates on the funds in your zSave will now earn a 4% return per annum. Your prorated earnings will be paid at the end of every month.
As always, you can make unlimited withdrawals, buy airtime and pay bills without forfeiture of interest.

zPlan: The interest rates on your plans will now be graduated. This means that the interest on your goal will be calculated based on the length of time for your goal, and also other factors like if your goal is locked. This will range from 4% – 10% per annum.
This interest rate is determined when setting up the goal.

Unlocked goals.
0 – 60 days (1 – 2 months) – 4%
61 – 180 days (2 – 6 months) – 6%.
181 – 365 days (6 – 12 months) – 7.5%
Above 365 days (1 year and above) – 9%

Locked Goals.
0 – 60 days (1 – 2 months) – 4.5%
61 – 180 days (2 – 6 months) – 6.5%.
181 – 365 days (6 – 12 months) – 8%
Above 365 days (1 year and above) – 10%

P.S: Locked goals cannot be liquidated before the goal’s set maturity date.
At all points in time, you will be able to view your interest rate and interest earned either on the web, or on the mobile app.

Questions.
Does this affect my current zPlan goals?
No. Only goals set from 8th August 2020 will be affected by this change. All previously existing goals (funded and unfunded) will still earn the previous rates.

Love❤
The Ziing Team�

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 8:28am On Aug 06, 2020
Olaide1295:

No, this is not true.
Not everyone can physically join the protest. Some people will contribute financially, others morally.
Protesters peacefully demand for a better government and it's shameful that you mention terrorists in the same sentence.
I was in Somolu last week and i literally saw people living in poor conditions. For how long can Nigeria continue like this.
We hear 100M people are living in poverty, imagine a stadium is filled with 5000 people. Then picture 100M people and try to remember that each one of those are human beings (not just number)

Our Nation is in trouble, We need people (You and I) to Stand up and encourage others. We need a revolution.

There is nothing wrong with a peaceful protest, what is bad is the language. No government will tolerate a bunch of people chanting revolution on the streets. No government anywhere will take it lightly. Yes we need change, but we should endeavor to communicate our grievances properly.

If you are in doubt here is the meaning as culled from Wikipedia:
"In political science, a revolution ( Latin: revolutio, "a turn around" ) is a fundamental and relatively sudden change in political power and political organization which occurs when the population revolts against the government, typically due to perceived oppression (political, social, economic) or political incompetence."

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tochex101(m): 8:48am On Aug 06, 2020
ositadima1:

There is nothing wrong with a peaceful protest, what is bad is the language. No government will tolerate a bunch of people chanting revolution on the streets. No government anywhere will take it lightly. Yes we need change, but we should endeavor to communicate our grievances properly.

If you are in doubt here is the meaning as culled from Wikipedia:
"In political science, a revolution ( Latin: revolutio, "a turn around" ) is a fundamental and relatively sudden change in political power and political organization which occurs when the population revolts against the government, typically due to perceived oppression (political, social, economic) or political incompetence."
So how is the best way for the populace to air their greivances.....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:12am On Aug 06, 2020
Tochex101:

So how is the best way for the populace to air their greivances.....

Look, I don't claim to know the best way. I assume a protest should be focused on key points, the fewer the better to avoid confusion. Location matters too.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kintus(m): 10:27am On Aug 06, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
God will not help us untill we get sense by force ...the refine locally expect pms to hit 200 naira crude jumping to 45 dollars

More hardships on the way for the poor masses.

It is well.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 11:42am On Aug 06, 2020
Iogobenz:
Market square is gyrating to replace them when they go cool
Great news.
The craze for FDI on this particular thread I expected a lot of intellect is alarming.
Is it not these same FDIs people that are putting pressure on the naira now because they are trying to repatriate their funds to home countries?
Now imagine if Nigeria could replace these FDIs with indigenous companies by say 50%.
Don't you know overtime naira will strengthen marginally for sheer lack of dollar demand by these FDIs?
I expected more honestly...
Nigeria is not a country that can't do without FDI in an ordinary retail business.
Make them commot abeg,can't wait for sundry foods to become a fortune 500 company.
Shoprite is leaving,shoprite is leaving...make I begin cry abi wetin? undecided

Whatever dollars FDIs repatriates to their home country is very paltry compared to the fact that Nigeria imports virtually everything. So, through the FDIs or not, there will always be a pressure on our scarce dollars.

Let us not also forget the economic activities and diplomatic friendliness the presence of these FDIs bring to the table. They pay rent, tax, salaries etc to indigenous people and organization as well.

I do not think FDIs are our problem, sir.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opomulero(m): 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2020
Waoo, when people are just starting this downward review message is coming.

these rates are not encouraging at all

so sad
Dsticks47:
Dear Clients,

Over the past few months, there has been a reduction in the interest rates of investments your monies are usually put in. These include treasury bills, bonds and money market instruments.
These rates have continued to fall over time.

We’ve been able to hold off reducing your interest rates for the past few months, however, it is imperative that we review this now to reflect current market realities.

From Saturday 8th August 2020, we’ll we reviewing our rates downward.

What’s Changing?

zSave: Interest rates on the funds in your zSave will now earn a 4% return per annum. Your prorated earnings will be paid at the end of every month.
As always, you can make unlimited withdrawals, buy airtime and pay bills without forfeiture of interest.

zPlan: The interest rates on your plans will now be graduated. This means that the interest on your goal will be calculated based on the length of time for your goal, and also other factors like if your goal is locked. This will range from 4% – 10% per annum.
This interest rate is determined when setting up the goal.

Unlocked goals.
0 – 60 days (1 – 2 months) – 4%
61 – 180 days (2 – 6 months) – 6%.
181 – 365 days (6 – 12 months) – 7.5%
Above 365 days (1 year and above) – 9%

Locked Goals.
0 – 60 days (1 – 2 months) – 4.5%
61 – 180 days (2 – 6 months) – 6.5%.
181 – 365 days (6 – 12 months) – 8%
Above 365 days (1 year and above) – 10%

P.S: Locked goals cannot be liquidated before the goal’s set maturity date.
At all points in time, you will be able to view your interest rate and interest earned either on the web, or on the mobile app.

Questions.
Does this affect my current zPlan goals?
No. Only goals set from 8th August 2020 will be affected by this change. All previously existing goals (funded and unfunded) will still earn the previous rates.

Love❤
The Ziing Team�
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Iogobenz(m): 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Whatever dollars FDIs repatriates to their home country is very paltry compared to the fact that Nigeria imports virtually everything. So, through the FDIs or not, there will always be a pressure on our scarce dollars.

Let us not also forget the economic activities and diplomatic friendliness the presence of these FDIs bring to the table. They pay rent, tax, salaries etc to indigenous people and organization as well.

I do not think FDIs are our problem, sir.
If you had 10 problems and I reduce or solve 4 problems for you,has your problem not been reduced to 6?
Take away those repatriation and see how naira will gain.
You think if telecoms,retail and other groups sell their stake to Nigerians the naira won't gain?
Also,I never said FDIs shouldn't come to Nigeria,however I had a problem with FDIs coming to do petty things that Nigerians can do like retailing tooth paste and toilet roll and to sell beer.
I for no talk if total dey build refinery or GE dey build power assets,these are the things we need not coming here to help us sell agbalumo and tangerine.We can do that.
These are some problems a weak naira will help us achieve coupled with good economic policy and a free market system.
FDIs will direct their assets and funds more into things Nigerians can't do like power and the likes rather than just come here and be doing nonsense to make easy money.
You think if shoprite goes that will be the end?Not at all.
Others will buy it and continue paying rents and employing people so no issues.
It's just foreign ownership of the retail giant that is harmful
I don't know why everyone keeps misunderstanding what I said.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by delawal: 1:13pm On Aug 06, 2020
all these talks abt protest aint necessary. just last year wht were u people doing during d election. some of u in d west thought its a contest of tribe supremacy between yorubas and igbos witout seeing d huge failure of buhari govt. most of u from r north prefered a dunce to be there once he is from north, now una carry revolution come. did u people just woke up now. some of u looking for people to bail where have u all been since. d bile una carry for belle wont allow una see beyond ur nose. as i said last time, after coming here to make noise u all will go back and,embrwce eame shi.t u made noise abt. naija is doomed bc yall thinking ability is beclouded by hate, nepotism and co

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Greenvaiper: 1:17pm On Aug 06, 2020
delawal:
all these talks abt protest aint necessary. just last year wht were u people doing during d election. some of u in d west thought its a contest of tribe supremacy between yorubas and igbos witout seeing d huge failure of buhari govt. most of u from r north prefered a dunce to be there once he is from north, now una carry revolution come. did u people just woke up now. some of u looking for people to bail where have u all been since. d bile una carry for belle wont allow una see beyond ur nose. as i said last time, after coming here to make noise u all will go back and,embrwce eame shi.t u made noise abt. naija is doomed bc yall thinking ability is beclouded by hate, nepotism and co

Thank you my brother. Like I said, the problem of Nigeria is caused by the same group of people shouting revolution now revolution now. Na still dem and their people still go vote buhari in 2019 because they wanted to spite Ibo people.
Nonsense ingredients, Nigerian army should waste their Ak 47 bullets on all their yansh.
Revolution ko, revolution nii

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 2:12pm On Aug 06, 2020
opomulero:
Waoo, when people are just starting this downward review message is coming.

these rates are not encouraging at all

so sad

So sorry about that sir.

But kindly Note: All previously existing goals (funded and unfunded) will still earn the previous rates.

The best time to create your Zplan Goal is now.

Lastly the 10% ROI will still be available for Locked Goals set Above 365 days (1 year and above) – 10%

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AdaoraNK(f): 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2020
emmanuelewumi:
Kingsway stores, UTC stores and Leventis stores were foreign owned Businesses with Branches all over the country before they became Nigerian owned Businesses due to Obasanjo indigenization policy of 1976.

Where is Kingsway, Leventis and UTC, they have now been converted to Churches and warehouses

Especially warehouses because of its large space and solid structures.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AdaoraNK(f): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2020
barrydiv7:
Greetings my ogas in the house, please is it advisable to buy dollar now and keep it for a short while (maybe Jan or feb)?
Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Don't try it we are planning to sell soon.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 5:18pm On Aug 06, 2020
DMO resumes FGN SAVINGS BOND Offers

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 06, 2020
What's driving record gold prices? How much higher could they go?
Investors are flocking to gold as a hedge against mounting risks from coronavirus to geopolitical tensions.
Coronavirus pandemic Financial Markets
United States Federal Reserve
Business & Economy Rock bottom interest rates, record government spending and rising uncertainty are all fueling gold's record-breaking rally this year
Spot gold surged past $2,000 an ounce for the first time ever on Tuesday, and prices kept climbing on Wednesday.
Gold is up more than 30 percent this year - placing it among the best performing assets. What is driving the relentless rally in all that glitters? And how much higher could gold prices go?
Hold on, rewind a second. What do you mean by 'spot' gold?
Spot gold refers to the price of an ounce of gold right now, at this moment in time, as opposed to some point in the future.
And why worry about the future?
Gold investors worry a lot about the future. That helps explain why gold - like other precious metals - also trades on the futures market.

What is the futures market?
That is an exchange where buyers agree to take possession of gold from the seller at a future date, but at a price agreed upon by both parties in advance.
Any other basics we should cover first?
Gold also trades through funds that offer investors exposure to gold bullion, gold futures and companies that mine gold, without having direct ownership of the metal.
So what's driving this rally in gold prices? Let me guess- the pandemic?
You win a gold star because yes - it is primarily the massive economic disruptions triggered by the pandemic that are driving gold higher, as well as the response to them from governments and central banks - especially the United States Federal Reserve - not to mention opacity surrounding the path of the virus and mounting geopolitical tensions.
A long sentence, I know. But put it all together, and you have one powerful cocktail of uncertainty.
I get that the global economy is in bits. But how is the Fed driving gold higher?
The Fed and other central banks aren't doing it on purpose. It's more of a consequence of the fact that the central banks are pretty much doing whatever it takes to keep their economies from seizing up.
The Fed for its part has kept credit flowing to US households and business by keeping borrowing costs low - which it's achieved by slashing its benchmark interest rate to zero and buying hundreds of billions of dollars worth of bonds. The Fed has also made sure that there are plenty of dollars available globally to businesses that want them - because the US dollar is the world's reserve currency.
These Fed moves have weakened the dollar and lowered investor returns on bonds. That makes gold look like a far more attractive investment by comparison.
What about the US government response: How does that factor in?
Congress has passed trillions of dollars in virus relief aid to help the US through the pandemic. And Democrats and Republicans in Congress are currently negotiating another round of relief that could see them spend trillions of dollars more.
To put all of this spending into perspective - the US federal budget deficit clocked in at $2.7 trillion in the first nine months of fiscal year 2020. That's $2 trillion more than the deficit recorded during the same period last year.
That record-shattering deficit, combined with ultra-low interest rates, has depressed the value of the US dollar to the point where some are questioning whether the mighty greenback's role as the global reserve currency is sustainable in the long run. That makes gold a more attractive investment relative to the dollar because the precious metal is seen as a hedge against currency depreciation.
So when investors turn sour on currencies, gold prices jump?
It's not just currency depreciation - gold is seen as a hedge against all sorts of potential downside risks. Take the stock market, for instance. The major US indexes have been on a tear since they tanked in March. But if there's a resurgence of the virus that triggers more lockdowns that kick the legs out of from under the economy again, then it's quite possible stocks could suddenly turn tail and go lower again. Gold can serve as a hedge against those potential losses.
And the US and China tensions?
That heaps even more uncertainty into an already cloudy outlook. But explaining the myriad consequences of the US-China decoupling here would use up a lot of space, so I suggest you go deeper by reading this excellent analysis.
$2,000 an ounce - I've got major FOMO. Could gold prices go higher from here?
Nothing is certain. Especially when investing. But analysts over at Goldman Sachs think gold could go as high as $2,300 an ounce. And back in April, Bank of America raised its 18-month price target on gold to $3,000 an ounce. But again, nothing is certain. No matter what the gold bugs say.
What's a gold bug?
Someone who thinks gold is an awesome investment and usually won't shut up about it.
Good to know. But before I go, was it a real gold star that I won?
I meant that as a figure of speech.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2020
Very good, but I couldn't find it on their website.

ahiboilandgas:
DMO resumes FGN SAVINGS BOND Offers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ozymes: 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2020
The circular is there
Donbrig:
Very good, but I couldn't find it on their website.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 6:05pm On Aug 06, 2020
I spoke with a friend who is a staff in NIPOST, he said they are having a serious underground battles with FIRS on who should collect or be in charge of duty stamp charges. Does it mean NIPOST and FIRS no longer know their various duties to the nation, who should be responsible for the collection of duty stamp charges? My friend said both agents will soon start to wash their dirty linen in the public, with lots of corruption and siphoning of funds, and the case of NDDC is nothing compared to what is about to hit the media, particularly from FIRS.

A country where doctors work as accountants (NDDC), lawyers work as engineers.. everything just dey jagajag for our country.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2020
I've seen it, thanks boss.

ozymes:
The circular is there
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:35pm On Aug 06, 2020
*ANNOUNCEMENT TO EVERYONE!!!*

Please & please if you have plans to buy land in PAKURO or MOWE or LOTTO, Don't do that for now, because FED ERAL GOVERNMENT wanted to build power line (TCN) & interchange link like the one at Shagamu.

And the road will link to AKUTE & IKORODU, It will affect part of RCCG, Deeper Life, Bala House & lots of homes.

RIGHT NOW PEOPLE ARE SELLING THEIR PROPERTIES (LANDS & HOUSES) TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT INFORMED.

Make research before you venture into immovable property.

Please save the novice from falling such victim (caveat emptor)...

Share this information to your family & friends!

How true is this

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:52pm On Aug 06, 2020
Donbrig:
I spoke with a friend who is a staff in NIPOST, he said they are having a serious underground battles with FIRS on who should collect or be in charge of duty stamp charges. Does it mean NIPOST and FIRS no longer know their various duties to the nation, who should be responsible for the collection of duty stamp charges? My friend said both agents will soon start to wash their dirty linen in the public, with lots of corruption and siphoning of funds, and the case of NDDC is nothing compared to what is about to hit the media, particularly from FIRS.

A country where doctors work as accountants (NDDC), lawyers work as engineers.. everything just dey jagajag for our country.

I'm not surprised

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 06, 2020

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2020
Phylife:

Please enlighten me about it.

Thanks.

https://nairametrics.com/2018/11/26/why-buy-fgn-savings-bond/

https://nairametrics.com/2019/08/16/difference-between-fgn-savings-and-treasury-bills/

Kindly go through this two links

Boss in the House can also help you out

but take note of this

A bond ladder can be as long or as short as you want. Short and long being used here to refer to maturity dates. To build your ladder, let us assume that you have N600,000 to invest. You can invest N50,000 in each rung. You can put N50,000 in of the 12 2-Year maturity FGN Savings bond in the market, if you need as much as that. By next year, as they begin to mature, you invest the proceed from each maturity into the next available and newly issued bond. If interest rate is up when the new issue occurs, you get part of the increased interest rate which helps increase your overall portfolio returns. If unfortunately interest is down when the new issued is offered, you benefit from paying relatively less for the bonds and having your portfolio insulated from the effect of the low rate by the higher rate bond already in your portfolio’s bond ladder.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 9:43pm On Aug 06, 2020
Anyone interested in this bond with possible idea of coupon rates and tenure?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gogedda: 9:48pm On Aug 06, 2020
For Nigerians in Diaspora who are looking to invest in Real Estate in Nigeria. There will be a zoom meeting this Saturday, 8th of August with one of the Real Estate Companies that is the sponsor of the Lagos marathon. At least we will be hearing directly from the Executive director of the company. Just thought I let you all know in case you are interested.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdrei09: 10:00pm On Aug 06, 2020
Good evening, everyone.

I invested some money in treasury bills last year and it will mature in few days.

So I went to bank today to tell them that I'll be renewing it. Unfortunately, I was told that it's been suspended by FG. I wasn't aware because I haven't been following the stuff.

I am a student but I do freelancing during break. The money I invested the last time was what I made during a long break.

I have started working again since they sent us home due to the covid-19 pandemic and I have been able to make some money I wish to add to the one that will mature in few days and reinvest everything.

I want to ask if there's anyone that can suggest a legit and very safe way I can invest the money. I don't want to do fixed deposit because the rate is too low.

I can't read all the previous messages because they are just too much.

I can't go into any business because I won't be able to monitor it when school resumes. I'm a medical student.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2020
drdrei09:
Good evening, everyone.

I invested some money in treasury bills last year and it will mature in few days.

So I went to bank today to tell them that I'll be renewing it. Unfortunately, I was told that it's been suspended by FG. I wasn't aware because I haven't been following the stuff.

I am a student but I do freelancing during break. The money I invested the last time was what I made during a long break.

I have started working again since they sent us home due to the covid-19 pandemic and I have been able to make some money I wish to add to the one that will mature in few days and reinvest everything.

I want to ask if there's anyone that can suggest a legit and very safe way I can invest the money. I don't want to do fixed deposit because the rate is too low.

I can't read all the previous messages because they are just too much.

I can't go into any business because I won't be able to monitor it when school resumes. I'm a medical student.
Nothing of such, you can try another branch or bank.
You may as well try Fgn savings bonds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 10:48pm On Aug 06, 2020
TotoNaRubber:
Anyone interested in this bond with possible idea of coupon rates and tenure?

If fg can offer 9.8 for a 25 years bond, wonder what rate this will go for, maybe 3/4%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 11:07pm On Aug 06, 2020
Please what the vision ,mission,and objectives of big brother Nigeria .....for the company i understand income but for the voters?i seems not to undeestand abi abi old school

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 11:19pm On Aug 06, 2020
The voters benefit from absolute stupidity, most of them believe their vote counts. I have this new friend, she told me her friend asked her bf to recharge N10k so she can vote big brother nigeria and the boyfriend was reluctant, she begin para for him and he foolishly loaded N10k for her to send messages for N10k.

When the N10k finished she took her boyfriend's phone and continued voting.

So this same girl now turned to me and said when voting starts i should send her N10k recharge card so she can vote. I just said ok, but until then.

ahiboilandgas:
Please what the vision ,mission,and objectives of big brother Nigeria .....for the company i understand income but for the voters?i seems not to undeestand abi abi old school

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1470) (1471) (1472) (1473) (1474) (1475) (1476) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: jidejado(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.