Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,323 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440375 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) (1517) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kendumazy(m): 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2020
Tvegas:
Suddenly Dollar has dropped to 430/440 at the Black market just on expectation of FX sales by CBN. This confirms CBN position that there is no real demand backing recent increases. Its all artificial and speculative plays. Its well with this country.

It's crazy. Let's watch out what comes up in the coming days.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 3:13pm On Sep 01, 2020
Tvegas:
Suddenly Dollar has dropped to 430/440 at the Black market just on expectation of FX sales by CBN. This confirms CBN position that there is no real demand backing recent increases. Its all artificial and speculative plays. Its well with this country.

I just checked

That's amazing undecided

I think we warned some people
About that speculatory move they wanted to make
Now negodu undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

REITs are regulated by SEC.

Retail Investors can't get N10 billion to buy a mall or Office complex, that generates rental income in dollars. But 1000 Investors can buy such and get yield of over 10% and above which can increase due to inflation and currency devaluation. You also enjoy the service of professional property managers and fund managers.

Google the annual financial report of UPDC REIT or SFS REIT and the properties in their portfolio

How do I invest in this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:27pm On Sep 01, 2020
OgogoroFreak:
How does one invest in this?

It is a conservative Investment for people interested in steady income on an annual basis

Get in touch with your investment banker and check the consistency of the REIT in the last 8 years, location of their properties , the property managers, fund managers and Trustees

A guy on this thread invested in REIT in the US and currently get 11% returns.

I have been dealing with SFS REIT and UPDC REIT for the past 4 years.

SFS REIT has 5 Properties in Lagos and Abuja valued at N2.2 billion and N400 million in fixed income Investments

UPDC REIT has Shopping complexes, Mall, Office complexes, luxury apartments and warehouses in Lagos and Abuja valued at N25 billion and N4 billion in fixed income Investments

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 3:27pm On Sep 01, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

REITs are regulated by SEC.

Retail Investors can't get N10 billion to buy a mall or Office complex, that generates rental income in dollars. But 1000 Investors can buy such and get yield of over 10% and above which can increase due to inflation and currency devaluation. You also enjoy the service of professional property managers and fund managers.

Google the annual financial report of UPDC REIT or SFS REIT and the properties in their portfolio

So...
For curiosity sakes

What REIT positions do you take?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2020
Tvegas:

Good. Let those that speculated and bought at 470 make some heavy losses. That will put them in the cooler for sometime.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

It is a conservative Investment for people interested in steady income on an annual basis.

Get in touch with your investment banker and check the consistency of the REIT in the last 8 years, location of their properties , the property managers, fund managers and Trustees

A guy on this thread invested in REIT in the US and currently get 11% returns.

I have been dealing with SFS REIT and UPDC REIT for the past 4 years.

SFS REIT has 5 Properties in Lagos and Abuja valued at N2.2 billion and N400 million in fixed income .

UPDC REIT has Shopping complexes, Mall, Office complexes, luxury apartments and warehouses in Lagos and Abuja valued at N25 billion and N4 billion in fixed income.

How does one invest including for US?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:46pm On Sep 01, 2020
DexterousOne:

So...
For curiosity sakes

What REIT positions do you take?

The two listed

SFS REIT and UPDC REIT.

N REIT, that is packaged by Chapel Hill Denham is new. So I will give them time, till next year.

They have some South African as the managers, the are buying real estates at depressed prices. They have Bolaji Balogun as the CEO of Chapel Hill Denham, also the Chairman of Lafarge, the Chairman of Trustfund pension manager and the son of the founder of FCMB.

Trust fund pension manager has over N400 billion under management.

Some of the real estate being bought by Chapel Hill Denham are owned by foreign private equity Investors and other institutional Investors.

I don't see rental income increasing until 2022, businesses are struggling, but they will definitely get returns that are more than 10%.

Just realized that the more expensive a property the higher the rental yield.

Chapel Hill Denham is one of the well respected Investment Banking firms in Nigeria.

I don't understand why some of the prime real estate Investments that are owned by foreigners are in the market for sale

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Comeandcollect: 3:50pm On Sep 01, 2020
It could hit N390/$ by the 5th september, i can"t wait for this, looking to trade at this point.

Pls keep sending updates in ur location on this thread ;
https://www.nairaland.com/6091076/update-sale-price-dollar-location

Kendumazy:

It's crazy. Let's watch out what comes up in the coming days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2020
chigo4u:

How does one invest including for US?

They have a thread for that on Nairaland
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deepwater(f): 5:15pm On Sep 01, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
so u dont even know that cbn has restricted bank from loaning out to Nigeria firms that dont generate income in dollars i was wasting time with an empty head...wow ....read if u got datahttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.advocaat-law.com/assets/resources/0f2436bd8571465852ed33de52186e4d.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjtw6OUmsDrAhVfShUIHQ0LAVQQFjARegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0LaEpx5Y65FCOQHbNPYsyC

But seriously your point makes no sense to what I said.
I see you try to bully people out of their facts by stating what is on your mind with proofs despite how unrelated the topic maybe to your own opinion

One world for that is classless

Now listen my friend, go back and read my comment and your counter and see how much of a dumb head you are.

You think is by calling figures up and down NL, mentioning names of "successfull" nigerian business men and telling how they got their monies that makes you a financial authority.

Charlie, you hand never rub oil. We have seen better

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

They have a thread for that on Nairaland

So fbnquest should be able to help out to invest with SFS REIT and UPDC REIT? I actually thought you were talking about a flexible fixed income securities that could generate 10% in your earlier post.

Saving interest has been given me some consolation returns but now that's crashed, My options so far is to direct funds to mutual funds while I wait for a profitable bonds. My last bid for FGN bond failed , 9.8% for a 25 yrs bond is ridiculous.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:10pm On Sep 01, 2020
Saving interest accounts don cast too.....CBN orders banks to pay 10%of MPR as interest on savings deposit
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:11pm On Sep 01, 2020
Akin3891:

So fbnquest should be able to help out to invest with SFS REIT and UPDC REIT? I actually thought you were talking about a flexible fixed income securities that could generate 10% in your earlier post.

Saving interest has been given me some consolation returns but now that's crashed, My options so far is to direct funds to mutual funds while I wait for a profitable bonds. My last bid for FGN bond failed , 9.8% for a 25 yrs bond is ridiculous.
CBN orders banks to pay 10%of MPR as interest on savings deposit
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2020
Dangote Cement Plc is issuing Series 17 and 18 Commercial Paper to raise N50 billion under its N150 billion CP Issuance Programme. The offer opened yesterday and is expected to close on Thursday, September 3, 2020. The series 17 CP has a tenor of 177 days and yield of 4.0 per cent, while the 18 series CP has a tenor of 268 days and a yield of 5.0 per cent.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 6:19pm On Sep 01, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
CBN orders banks to pay 10%of MPR as interest on savings deposit

Another rubbish policy.
With an MPR of 12.5% or whatever it is now, banks will be lending at 20% or so, so there is no way low savings deposit interest will translate into increased credit supply even if the banks were risk-tolerant. I foresee the CRR debit train continuing merrily as it has been over the last few months.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:25pm On Sep 01, 2020
rians keep N36 trillion in banks and low yielding assets
Too much cash, low yields, nowhere to invest

Published 5 hours ago on September 1, 2020 By Nairametrics With nowhere to invest, Nigerians keep N36 trillion in banks and low yielding assets, Naira hits N570 to $1 at forwards market, pressure on the naira climbs up
SHARE TWEET

Nigeria’s low-interest-rate environment for savings and investments is eroding trillions of Naira in value for Nigerians who keep money in the banking system. The total money supply in the country as of July 2020 was N36.8 trillion up by over N2 trillion from December last year and the highest on record.

The Nigerian financial sector has been experiencing a low-interest-rate environment since the CBN blocked the sale of its Open Market Operations (OMO) bills to local investors (except banks) last October. The singular action has driven savings deposit rates, fixed deposit rates, and other risk-free rates such as treasury bills to under 6% per annum. This is despite a rising inflation rate that rose to 12.82% the highest in 27 months.

Wale Okunrinboye, the Head of Research Sigma Pensions explained why money supply has been on an increase. “On what has driven the expansion. It has been partly driven by credit growth given the LDR policy but more strongly by an expansion in net foreign assets,” he said.

Get relevant financial data from Nairametrics on Nairalytics

Since the central bank reduced access to the purchase of its securities, investment in CBN related bills has reduced to N3.4 trillion as of July 2020 from N8 trillion at the end of December 2020. The outflow of money from CBN bills created a huge liquidity supply that found its way back into the banking sector.

first bank
The CBN has practiced heterodox monetary policies as it seeks to manage exchange rate stability while attracting foreign exchange investments into the country. To achieve exchange rate stability, it offered high-interest rates to buyers of its OMO bills. However, the cost of servicing these bills and its attendant effects on the economy meant it had to stop in November. OMO bills rate has now fallen to single digits since this year for its short dated bills.

READ: BIG TROUBLE: CBN’s N650 billion ‘crisis’ explained

CRR Pressure
It appears that the central bank may have envisaged that the possible influx of cash into the financial system could trigger a new round of foreign exchange speculation. Banks have in the past been accused of diverting excess cash flow emanating from excess deposits into forex roundtripping rather than lend to the private sector. This risk has resulted in over N2 trillion of banking sector deposits held by the central bank as reserves. Mr. Okunrinboye explains again.

“On FX demand, the buildup in liquidity could be a problem but the pickup in Bank reserves suggests that CBN’s debits have worked to remove the extra liquidity entirely.”

READ: ‘Shashe Banking’ cost CBN N1.3 trillion in interest expense in 2017

With money supply at all-time highs, interest rates on 3 months treasury bills is a paltry 1.2% compared to about 11% last year. With the inflation rate at 12.8%, investors in Nigeria’s treasury bills have a whopping -11% in negative real return.

Apart from government securities and commercial bonds, the only investment outlet available to invest is in the stock market. But with the possibility of another round of exchange rate devaluation lurking, investors are left to choose between investing in a capital market that has lost trillions in market value or keeping the money in banks at the risk of being eroded by inflation, or look elsewhere even if it means investing abroad. It appears many have chosen the latter.

READ: Why Emefiele’s interest rate policy is ‘great’

A diaspora investor Charles Bivins, who spoke to Nairametrics lamented about his disappointment with investing in the Nigerian equities market.

economic outlook
“I will not also support anyone to invest in Nigeria’s low-interest-rate as things are now. I was a strong believer in the Nigerian economy and I have invested a lot of funds in the equity market. If I had deployed the capital I invested in the markets in Canada where I reside, I would probably have made like 20 times my money in a 10-year frame. All things being equal, investors should be prepared to take some risk and invest in a low-interest environment, but nothing is stable in Nigeria,” he said.

READ: FG expected to spend a record N12.65 trillion for 2021 budget

Another Hedge Fund Manager who preferred that we do not mention his name vowed he will not invest in Nigeria considering the low-interest environment.

“I cannot invest in Naira right now. Not just possible. It is against any fund manager’s fiduciary responsibility to invest in either equity or fixed income instruments at this time when you are almost certain that you will lose money once you enter,” he concedes.

Unfortunately, a lot of Nigerians have no choice but to retain their funds in Nigeria’s low yielding financial system. Institutional investors like pension funds with over N11 trillion in pension fund assets out of which N1 trillion is in treasury bills and another N1.35 trillion in bank placements. Yields on these funds are by estimates negative after adjusting to inflation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:20pm On Sep 01, 2020
ahiboilandgas:

Published 5 hours ago on September 1, 2020 By Nairametrics With nowhere to invest, Nigerians keep N36 trillion in banks and low yielding assets, Naira hits N570 to $1 at forwards market, pressure on the naira climbs up
SHARE TWEET

Nigeria’s low-interest-rate environment for savings and investments is eroding trillions of Naira in value for Nigerians who keep money in the banking system. The total money supply in the country as of July 2020 was N36.8 trillion up by over N2 trillion from December last year and the highest on record.

The Nigerian financial sector has been experiencing a low-interest-rate environment since the CBN blocked the sale of its Open Market Operations (OMO) bills to local investors (except banks) last October. The singular action has driven savings deposit rates, fixed deposit rates, and other risk-free rates such as treasury bills to under 6% per annum. This is despite a rising inflation rate that rose to 12.82% the highest in 27 months.

Wale Okunrinboye, the Head of Research Sigma Pensions explained why money supply has been on an increase. “On what has driven the expansion. It has been partly driven by credit growth given the LDR policy but more strongly by an expansion in net foreign assets,” he said.

Since the central bank reduced access to the purchase of its securities, investment in CBN related bills has reduced to N3.4 trillion as of July 2020 from N8 trillion at the end of December 2020. The outflow of money from CBN bills created a huge liquidity supply that found its way back into the banking sector.

first bank
The CBN has practiced heterodox monetary policies as it seeks to manage exchange rate stability while attracting foreign exchange investments into the country. To achieve exchange rate stability, it offered high-interest rates to buyers of its OMO bills. However, the cost of servicing these bills and its attendant effects on the economy meant it had to stop in November. OMO bills rate has now fallen to single digits since this year for its short dated bills.

CRR Pressure
It appears that the central bank may have envisaged that the possible influx of cash into the financial system could trigger a new round of foreign exchange speculation. Banks have in the past been accused of diverting excess cash flow emanating from excess deposits into forex roundtripping rather than lend to the private sector. This risk has resulted in over N2 trillion of banking sector deposits held by the central bank as reserves. Mr. Okunrinboye explains again.

“On FX demand, the buildup in liquidity could be a problem but the pickup in Bank reserves suggests that CBN’s debits have worked to remove the extra liquidity entirely.”

With money supply at all-time highs, interest rates on 3 months treasury bills is a paltry 1.2% compared to about 11% last year. With the inflation rate at 12.8%, investors in Nigeria’s treasury bills have a whopping -11% in negative real return.

Apart from government securities and commercial bonds, the only investment outlet available to invest is in the stock market. But with the possibility of another round of exchange rate devaluation lurking, investors are left to choose between investing in a capital market that has lost trillions in market value or keeping the money in banks at the risk of being eroded by inflation, or look elsewhere even if it means investing abroad. It appears many have chosen the latter.

A diaspora investor Charles Bivins, who spoke to Nairametrics lamented about his disappointment with investing in the Nigerian equities market.

economic outlook
“I will not also support anyone to invest in Nigeria’s low-interest-rate as things are now. I was a strong believer in the Nigerian economy and I have invested a lot of funds in the equity market. If I had deployed the capital I invested in the markets in Canada where I reside, I would probably have made like 20 times my money in a 10-year frame. All things being equal, investors should be prepared to take some risk and invest in a low-interest environment, but nothing is stable in Nigeria,” he said.

Another Hedge Fund Manager who preferred that we do not mention his name vowed he will not invest in Nigeria considering the low-interest environment.

“I cannot invest in Naira right now. Not just possible. It is against any fund manager’s fiduciary responsibility to invest in either equity or fixed income instruments at this time when you are almost certain that you will lose money once you enter,” he concedes.

Unfortunately, a lot of Nigerians have no choice but to retain their funds in Nigeria’s low yielding financial system. Institutional investors like pension funds with over N11 trillion in pension fund assets out of which N1 trillion is in treasury bills and another N1.35 trillion in bank placements. Yields on these funds are by estimates negative after adjusting to inflation.

About N5 Trillion should be Invested in real estate for workers who do not have their own houses and they have minimum of N10 million in their Retirement Savings Acco
ahiboilandgas:

SHARE TWEET

first bank

CRR Pressure

economic outlook

About N5 Trillion from the Pension Fund should be Invested in real estate for workers who don't have their own houses and currently have a minimum of N10 million in their Retirement Savings Account.

SEC, Federal Mortgage Banks, Investment Banking firms, Real Estate professionals should come up with Mortgage Backed Securities that can unlock the economic potentials in real estate

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by UncleJJ(m): 5:37am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

China is a fake economy
So I dont even talk about those ones

Who cares what the west thinks?
Africa is inconsequential to their progress

undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 7:07am On Sep 02, 2020
UncleJJ:

undecided

Yes
You heard right

China is a fake economy..
The fundamentals are all to see.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:32am On Sep 02, 2020
Chine is fake economy and (US) Trump is doing everything to crumble their rise and stop their "Belt and Road Initiative". If my memory is right, you were same chap that said Japan has one of the worse currency in the world, apparently you do not like the Asians at all.
DexterousOne:

Yes
You heard right

China is a fake economy..

The fundamentals are all to see.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:36am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
Chine is fake economy and (US) Trump is doing everything to crumble their rise and stop their "Belt and Road Initiative". If my memory is right, you were same chap that said Japan has one of the worse currency in the world, apparently you do not like the Asians at all.

An economy like China's is FAKE

Only structural changes in China will see China's economy stand the test of time
That model they run with their SoEs are unsustainable

And no
You are misquoting me....
I said japan had one of the WEAKEST
Not worst

A currency can be weak, but the most important thing is STABILITY

The currency is weak, but is stable
And that is their competitive edge

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:48am On Sep 02, 2020
How much I wish Nigerian economy can grow to be as 'FAKE' as that of China, fake enough to be at par with the superpower of the world and our currency gets as 'WEAK' as that of Japan.
DexterousOne:

Only structural changes in China will see China's economy stand the test of time

And no
Not worst

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 8:53am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

And no
Not worst

Lol.
I see nothing wrong with China's economy, for a country that is essentially a developing one.
Apart from most of the OECD countries (excluding the U.S., the UK, Turkey, Mexico, etc.), very few countries have gotten the mix of economic theory and practical implementation right.

The sustainability of being the world's manufacturing centre (and the associated export-driven fundamentals) might be challenged somewhat post-Covid, but apart from that China's command-and-control/moderated capitalism economy is doing just fine, whether SOE's constitute a significant number of economic players or not. Pure laissez-faire capitalism is definitely not the best way to go in all cases.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:59am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
How much I wish Nigerian economy can grow to be as 'FAKE' as that of China, fake enough to be at par with the superpower of the world and our currency gets as 'WEAK' as that of Japan.

Amen for the Japanese prayer
God forbid for the Chinese prayer

I'll rather have Nigeria like Germany
Than Nigeria like China

Germany's economic structure is the best (in my opinion)
Japan runs a similar model

There is always an argument of who copied who between Germany and Japan cheesy grin
China own is not.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 9:06am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

Amen for the Japanese prayer
God forbid for the Chinese prayer

I'll rather have Nigeria like Germany
Than Nigeria like China

Germany's economic structure is the best (in my opinion)
Japan runs a similar model

There is always an argument of who copied who between Germany and Japan cheesy grin
China own is not.

On current trends, Nigeria will never be like Germany, or Japan or China.
So that debate is superfluous.
Our case is like a man who still treks from village to town, while others are debating the relative merits of a Porsche over a Ferrari after purchase.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 9:10am On Sep 02, 2020
Cyberknight:

On current trends, Nigeria will never be like Germany, or Japan or China.
So that debate is superfluous.
Our case is like a man who still treks from village to town, while others are debating the relative merits of a Porsche over a Ferrari after purchase.

Unfortunately

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:39am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

And no
Not worst

how did u arrived at the findings that china is a fake economy? Did u conduct a research (published) in any journals ( would like to read up the links)or it what CNN and west propagate? Or just assumptions....the china fake structure have lifted 500m people out of poverty and brough more infrastructural development to africa more than the western style ......without chinese products many items will be beyond reach for many africa from tv to smart phone......if the fake model can reduce poverty in Africa by 50 percent we gladly use the techniques

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chelseamann(m): 9:40am On Sep 02, 2020
I miss this thread.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 9:43am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

And no
Not worst

China's economy is doing just great. The SoEs are well managed and they are lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty.
Go to Bejieng and you'll see wonderful infrastructure. US infrastructure is nowhere near.
They are also now a superpower. Infact, if i was Meffy, i'll hold about 15 - 25% of Nigeria's reserves in Chinese Remnibi since thats where most of our imports come from.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:43am On Sep 02, 2020
A fake economy that the west is so scared of ?or a new ideology to develop faster than the western propagated ideals ..........the greatest uplifting of 500 m people out of poverty cannot be fake ....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 9:46am On Sep 02, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (1511) (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) (1517) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Acidosis(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.