Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1515) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440377 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) (1517) (1518) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:48am On Sep 02, 2020
There was discussions along this line (bolden) around 2015/16, it looks like it is not an easy thing to achieve.
I suspect any attempt to do this will be a direct affront on US, there will be consequences.
Olaide1295:

China's economy is doing just great. The SoEs are well managed and they are lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty.
Go to Bejieng and you'll see wonderful infrastructure. US infrastructure is nowhere near.
They are also now a superpower. Infact, if i was Meffy, i'll hold about 15 - 25% of Nigeria's reserves in Chinese Remnibi since thats where most of our imports come from.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:51am On Sep 02, 2020
Olaide1295:
https://nairametrics.com/2020/09/02/breaking-nigerias-foreign-trade-drops-to-n6-24-trillion-trade-balance-hits-n1-8-trillion-deficit/

With continuing trade deficits, how long can CBN go?
is not the cbn is Nigerians how long can Nigerians go from importing basic items like toothpicks , tissue paper and exporting jobs and complaining at the same time of no jobs .....it we ....we are a replica of our Nation....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:51am On Sep 02, 2020
All we as Nigerians not SMART enough to be an export country?
Many countries of the world do not even know the name of their CBN governor but Nigeria know their CBN governor as if he was a state governor because those guys have to manage the econony made up of people whose only interest is in importing.

Olaide1295:
https://nairametrics.com/2020/09/02/breaking-nigerias-foreign-trade-drops-to-n6-24-trillion-trade-balance-hits-n1-8-trillion-deficit/

With continuing trade deficits, how long can CBN go?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:52am On Sep 02, 2020
Oga, you have started copying my mind. I could sue you for trespass of mind reading. WE practically wrote the same thing at 9:51am
ahiboilandgas:
is not the cbn is Nigerians how long can Nigerians go from importing basic items like toothpicks , tissue paper and exporting jobs and complaining at the same time of no jobs .....it we ....we are a replica of our Nation....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 9:52am On Sep 02, 2020
Olaide1295:

China's economy is doing just great. The SoEs are well managed and they are lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty.
Go to Bejieng and you'll see wonderful infrastructure. US infrastructure is nowhere near.
They are also now a superpower. Infact, if i was Meffy, i'll hold about 15 - 25% of Nigeria's reserves in Chinese Remnibi since thats where most of our imports come from.

Abeg o.
Do not suggest anything to these our unlettered leaders, make them no get this kind thoughts into their heads.
The Americans will happily and quickly sever our thin oil lifeline without wasting time.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:55am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
Oga, you have started copying my mind. I could sue you for trespass of mind reading. WE practically wrote the same thing at 9:51am
sorry ooh the thing they pain me .....i practically look at my house this morning i dont have any made in Nigeria item only yams and some other food stuffs but everthing is foreign and job exports

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:57am On Sep 02, 2020
That country is too powerful, I used to think we could call their bluff, o boy I realize it is not just bluff, they only need someone like Trump and nothing anyone else can do.
The one that frighten me the most was the Huawei matter. Initially, UK said they will continue to do business with Huawei no matter what US thinks but just recently, after America squeeze their brocus, they have now turned back to say all Huawei products should be out of the UK by 202x not sure of the exact year. If UK can succumb, who is Nigeria to force a direct affront on the US? We are a nation of respectful people abeg.

Cyberknight:

Abeg o.
Do not suggest anything to these our unlettered leaders, make them no get this kind thoughts into their heads.
The Americans will happily and quickly sever our thin oil lifeline without wasting time.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 9:57am On Sep 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:

Nigerians will continue to import toothpick as long as there is cheap forex.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:00am On Sep 02, 2020
Make we kuku stop our Engineering department for our universities then.
My own na Rice, Yam and beans. My furniture na carpenter at least the wood go be from Naija
ahiboilandgas:
sorry ooh the thing they pain me .....i practically look at my house this morning i dont have any made in Nigeria item only yams and some other food stuffs but everthing is foreign and job exports

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:00am On Sep 02, 2020
Is 400 cheap? Bros, na lack of creativity abeg nothing to do with cheap. Cheap is just an excuse
Olaide1295:

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:01am On Sep 02, 2020
Olaide1295:

You will what?

Hold 15% of your reserves in RMB?

That's not wise
Sorry

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 10:02am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
That country is too powerful, I used to think we could call their bluff, o boy I realize it is not just bluff, they only need someone like Trump and nothing anyone else can do.
The one that frighten me the most was the Huawei matter. Initially, UK said they will continue to do business with Huawei no matter what US thinks but just recently, after America squeeze their brocus, they have now turned back to say all Huawei products should be out of the UK by 202x not sure of the exact year. If UK can succumb, who is Nigeria to force a direct affront on the US? We are a nation of respectful people abeg.

Precisely.
Nigeria no follow for the countries that can stand up to the US.
It will just take 5 minutes to kill our economy beyond repair.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:03am On Sep 02, 2020
What of if there is a policy that anyone that wants USD should look for something that will provide an equivalent of what he needs and export that product to earn the USD he desires, is that not feasible?

ahiboilandgas:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:06am On Sep 02, 2020
I can argue that no country can. The closest is Russia. What every other country does is to use side attacks or better still just avoid having issues with them.
See the Iranian deal that US (Trump) single handedly scuttled.
Anyway, lets try and focus on the forex matter.

Cyberknight:

Precisely.
Nigeria no follow for the countries that can stand up to the US.
It will just take 5 minutes to kill our economy beyond repair.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:08am On Sep 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
A fake economy that the west is so scared of ?or a new ideology to develop faster than the western propagated ideals ..........the greatest uplifting of 500 m people out of poverty cannot be fake ....

You all may not understand where I am coming from (as usual)

You all are looking at the results
But I am looking at the process that led to the results

It's not sustainable

Even the Chinese government have promised to work on those structural deficiencies

But are they sincere?

Okay let's cast our minds back to 1970s Nigeria

Things seemed to be better because of some "enjoyment" here and there

BUT
The process that produced that...
Was not self sustaining
. Here we are today

The patermalist hold of the CCP on the Chinese economy IS NOT SUSTAINABLE and it's all a ruse

A country that does not allow for transparency cannot stand the test of time

There were record bankruptcies in the Chinese economy with respect to some of the SoEs

What the CCP did was to take over their books
And then pump them afloat

And they do not even allow for independent audits
Who are they deceiving?

I know as Nigerians
We are carried away by the optics

But let's look at the structure
The German/Japanese model is the best

Nigeria will be unrecognisable in 20 years if we adopt it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 10:14am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
Is 400 cheap? Bros, na lack of creativity abeg nothing to do with cheap. Cheap is just an excuse
400 is truly not cheap.

I am a believer that Nigerians do not deserve products if they cannot produce it. If Nigeria cannot manufacture a car, then Nigerians don't deserve it.
The cost of such product should be prohibitively high that people are forced to manufacture locally. This will also spur FDI.

Right now, we think we deserve cars and fancy imports but it's the Niger-delta oil that is subsidizing the entire economy.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:15am On Sep 02, 2020
Small shake body
And China is in trouble

Let's see how the next 20 years go
And whether those structural reforms promised will tale root
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:16am On Sep 02, 2020
Olaide1295:

how come it hasn't stoped naira moving from 120 to 475 ? What guarantees it will stop at 800 naira ? Or is based on what the world bank have been telling us since 1987 ...how many firm have spring up due to devaluation and costly dollars ...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:17am On Sep 02, 2020
Olaide1295:

400 is truly not cheap.

I am a believer that Nigerians do not deserve products if they cannot produce it. If Nigeria cannot manufacture a car, then Nigerians don't deserve it.
The cost of such product should be prohibitively high that people are forced to manufacture locally. This will also spur FDI.

Right now, we think we deserve cars and fancy imports but it's the Niger-delta oil that is subsidizing the entire economy.

I agree wholeheartedly
Like I always say
We are living a lifestyle we do not merit, deserve or afford

Look at the number of private jets, and luxury products in the country
Compare that with the level of productivity and value creation/addition in the country....

Dont you see there is a mismatch?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:22am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

It's not sustainable

Even the Chinese government have promised to work on those structural deficiencies

But are they sincere?

BUT
Was not self sustaining
. Here we are today

The patermalist hold of the CCP on the Chinese economy IS NOT SUSTAINABLE and it's all a ruse

There were record bankruptcies in the Chinese economy with respect to some of the SoEs

Who are they deceiving?

I know as Nigerians

u are making assertion without any emprical data or research findings ....u cannot predict 20 years of china on the thing air ....this is not religious exercise but a data one...it only prophets and religion that work on predictions,dreams and vision .....economy /investment are based on well research datas to reach prediction....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 10:23am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

It's not sustainable

But are they sincere?

BUT
Was not self sustaining
. Here we are today

Who are they deceiving?

I know as Nigerians

The paternalistic Chinese model might not be sustainable.
But its a start.
It's better than nothing.
Nigeria can never, repeat NEVER be like Japan or Germany.
We are a) uneducated; and b) disunited.

The Germans and the Japanese focused single-mindedly on rebuilding their economies after World War 2.

Nigeria is focusing on buying 2020 Toyota Camry cars. Like all children, Nigerians love toys.

So the only hope for us is some form of top-down regulation of our economy.
Without that we are doomed.

The Chinese model, however flawed, is the only thing that can work here. The government (and by government I mean a serious-minded and altruistic construct, not the exploitative entities we have always had) has to direct most aspects of any progress we want to make.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:25am On Sep 02, 2020
For four year Trump has been shaking China, do they look like a country in trouble.
See Corona virus that started from there, they handled it in 3 months while the rest of the world is still grumpling. I guess a lot of people just hate them.
DexterousOne:
Small shake body
And China is in trouble

Let's see how the next 20 years go
And whether those structural reforms promised will tale root

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:26am On Sep 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
u are making assertion without any emprical data or research findings ....u cannot predict 20 years of china on the thing air ....this is not religious exercise but a data one...it only prophets and religion that work on predictions,dreams and vision .....economy /investment are based on well research datas to reach prediction....

And what makes you think I am just talking just for talking sakes?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 10:31am On Sep 02, 2020
Did you know that September is the first of 3 most productive months in the year?

Now that the tides are turning for good, Set those goals, tick off each accomplished task and make this month your best yet.

Welcome to the month of September.

To an account with us kindly use the link on my signature or better still follow the process below.

Dial (*5678#) / 2/ 1/ 1/ 1/
Input your details.
Forward the confirmation mail you receive with your KYC to any of our staff.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:31am On Sep 02, 2020
Cyberknight:

The paternalistic Chinese model might not be sustainable.
But its a start.
It's better than nothing.
Nigeria can never, repeat NEVER be like Japan or Germany.
We are a) uneducated; and b) disunited.

The Germans and the Japanese focused single-mindedly on rebuilding their economies after World War 2.

Nigeria is focusing on buying 2020 Toyota Camry cars. Like all children, Nigerians love toys.

So the only hope for us is some form of top-down regulation of our economy.
Without that we are doomed.

The Chinese model, however flawed, is the only thing that can work here. The government (and by government I mean a serious-minded and altruistic construct, not the exploitative entities we have always had) has to direct most aspects of any progress we want to make.

You get my point
I'm happy you do...

It might be good for a start for Nigeria
But it can only take you to a level...

To really be a developed country (which china is not)
You need self sustaining institutions
And a well structured and transparent economy

But if we have a CCP equivalent in Nigeria
Will they want to give way when their usefulness has expired?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:32am On Sep 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
how come it hasn't stoped naira moving from 120 to 475 ? What guarantees it will stop at 800 naira ? Or is based on what the world bank have been telling us since 1987 ...how many firm have spring up due to devaluation and costly dollars ...
Who told you it hasn't been reducing?
What was the GDP of Nigeria as at when dollar was 120?
What's the GDP now?
Hasn't it increased upon the fact that naira weakened?
This should tell you productivity increased and more of these imported items were starting to get produced here.
Now imagine what will happen if naira is devalued to 400 range and the confidence it will give investors.
Go out and do real work and stop reading online journals,I've told you this many times.
Its for your own good bros.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 10:32am On Sep 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
For four year Trump has been shaking China, do they look like a country in trouble.
See Corona virus that started from there, they handled it in 3 months while the rest of the world is still grumpling. I guess a lot of people just hate them.

Na them bring am in the first place.
In any case, the methods they used (total lockdowns, extremely tight restrictions and all that) are only possible in a totalitarian society and not in freer ones, whether that is a good or a bad thing.

But I agree with you than China is a solid economy, the Americans can only cause them trouble here and there; overall they are standing firm.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:35am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

And what makes you think I am just talking just for talking sakes?
making assertions come with evidence ....so how did u arrive at those assertions?...in research i have to quote u as my source of assertions after knowing how u arrived at those weighty assertions....if america say Nigeria will break in 2015 this might due intelligence work by the c.i.a ...it didnt break but 27 lga in northeast turned to iswap for 4 years ...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 10:37am On Sep 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

You get my point
I'm happy you do...

It might be good for a start for Nigeria
But it can only take you to a level...

To really be a developed country (which china is not)
You need self sustaining institutions
And a well structured and transparent economy

But if we have a CCP equivalent in Nigeria
Will they want to give way when their usefulness has expired?

Of course they won't.
But you see the CCP as a disadvantage to China.
I don't think it is.
So-called democracy is not necessarily better than the Chinese system from the standpoint of economic achievement.
Anyway, the CCP is now "communist" in name only - it's economic theory and actions are all socialistic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:41am On Sep 02, 2020
Cyberknight:

Of course they won't.
But you see the CCP as a disadvantage to China.
I don't think it is.
So-called democracy is not necessarily better than the Chinese system from the standpoint of economic achievement.
if the Nigeria communit party can achieve 1/4 of ccp we will be very happy ...good road ,steady electricity ,Good hospitals, enough jobs ...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 10:42am On Sep 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
if the Nigeria communit party can achieve 1/4 of ccp we will be very happy ...good road ,steady electricity ,Good hospitals, enough jobs ...

1/4 too much.

1/50th even - we'll be jumping for joy.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:43am On Sep 02, 2020
Cyberknight:

1/4 too much.

1/50th even - we'll be jumping for joy.
chai chai ...true..

(1) (2) (3) ... (1512) (1513) (1514) (1515) (1516) (1517) (1518) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Acidosis(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.