Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,798 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:22 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1577) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4644779 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1574) (1575) (1576) (1577) (1578) (1579) (1580) ... (2264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 6:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
ultron12345:

1000 cows is even small.

There's a dairy company called Almarai in Saudi Arabia. They milk over 22 litres per day each cow, and they have 94,000 cows. They produce 1 billion litres of milk annually. They process this milk into different products. They have 38,000 staff, do $3.9B in revenue annually, with market cap of $13.1B (that is packaged Fulani herdsmen company = dangote cement x 2, or dangote cement + MTN Nigeria)

They do their dairy farming in the Saudi desert. They imported management from Ireland. Imported all their cows (modified breeds). They even had to put AC (air conditioning) in all the farm sheds for all the cattle to protect them from the harsh desert heat which can sometimes reach as high as 45C. Since they can't grow grass to feed the cattle, they bought land in Argentina and the US, grow the grass there then import them to Saudi Arabia to feed the cattle.

All this struggle and stress yet they are able to produce products that in terms of price are competitive in the international market, hence they also export to other countries. If it's Nigerians, they'll come up with 1000 reasons why it can never work and blame the government. Nigerians will be waiting for Dangote or indians/lebanese/chinese. If Dangote does it finally, they'll say it's monopoly. If it's Lebanese or Indian, theyll say it's money laundering.

Fonterra, a dairy cooperative owned by 10,500 farmers in New Zealand makes $12B in revenues exporting milk and other dairy products. That's 30% of the world's dairy exports, from tiny New Zealand.

Chiquita is doing $3B in revenue growing ordinary bananas in South America and selling in US. Dole does $4.5B doing same along with ordinary water melon and pineapple.

Ecuador, Philippines, Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatemala make $3.3B, $1.9, $1.6B, $1B and $1B annually from exporting ordinary banana. Ivory Coast and Cameroon get $340M and $250M from the same banana. Nigerians will be blaming government. Thank God banana is not an electricity intensive business. I wonder what excuse will be given for this. It's labour intensive and we have cheap labour, cheap land, conducive tropical climate and a weak currency, yet we can't do anything.

All these are the kind of things we need in this country, this is what will grow our economy, not coding another ride-hailing app or biscuit ordering app.

Even if we want to do tech, we should go for IT outsourcing like India, not to be coding apps that our people are too poor to use. Where we can use our massive university educated and cheap labour resources to provide labour intensive IT services to companies in the developed world. Instead of them playing Americans $60,000 per annum, they'll outsource to Nigerian companies at quarter that price. This is what TCS, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, Wipro and many others do in India. These 4 companies employ 450000 (yes, not 4,500, not 45,000 but 450,000. Four hundred and fifty thousand employees), 242000, 125000, and 175000 people respectively and made $23B, $13B, $5B and $9B in revenues respectively. Over 95% of this revenue is "exports", meaning the money came in foreign currency. And they have over 20 of such companies in India, employing in hundreds of thousands. Imagine we had just one in Nigeria. But no, it's only hotel and filling station we can build. Ordinary call center, we could not do. We had to wait for an Indian company disguised as an "African Company" to come and get BPO contracts from our Telecom companies. That Indian company is employing thousands of Nigerians across several locations today. Only in Ibadan, they have over 2000 staff at their call center. All this while Nigerians blamed the government.

As we talk about making policies for ease of business, we should also ask, making these policies for who? Because it seems Nigerians are not ready to do anything apart from blaming the government.

So sorry to digress oo, back to your post.

I don't like the idea of CBN or government owning enterprises. They should just create policies and try to make things easier. In my opinion, the CBN is really trying, one can get low interest loans through the bank of agriculture and bank of industry. CBN is now the one doing the work of ministry of agriculture.

Even if they must own farms, they should have minority stake of 40% maximum, so that the private shareholders make the decisions. Before some stupid Nigerians enter government and kill the farm by using the management positions to reward their incompetent friends and relatives.

That number employed is even 542,000 not 450k (242, 125,175k)

Look at the numerous ways we can grow our forex earnings by at least $10bn per annum.

And we're still begging world Bank for $1.5bn.

I think I'll push my retirement forward.

Let me float an agric firm.

Even it it's $10m a year, it'll be a good start.

With 1000 such other firms, we'll be talking $10bn in forex earnings.

Thanks for your beautiful insights.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 8:16pm On Oct 02, 2020
ultron12345:

Lol... It seems Abdulsamad Rabiu's strategy at BUA group is "Copy Dangote". Dangote went into sugar and flour. They did same. Dangote sold his flour business. They did same. Dangote is into cement. They did same (at least, this broke the myth that government will kill destroy anyone who tries to enter cement business to protect dangote). Now, they recently gave out contract to a French company to build a 200,000bpd refinery in Akwa Ibom.

Reminds of one business case I came across a while back about MacDonalds and one other restaurant company (I think its Pizza Hut). Pizza Hut waits for McDonald's to do all the business and site analysis and immediately MacDonalds open a new branch, Pizza Hut does same and opens a branch opposite them.

Good strategy. No need re-inventing thd wheel.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
NL1960:

Good strategy. No need re-inventing thd wheel.

True that

It's a mental state we as Africans are in that we need to reconfigure
Wealth is worked for
And is gotten via VALUE ADDITION

Most rich folks on the continent got their money via grabbing and rent seeking not productivity or value addition
That's the wrong precedent set that younger ones are looking up to and is killing productivity and initiative

Value addition is the way to go

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2020
I'm entering the Agric sector after school

I'm going into vegetable crops and Plantain

The problem I have with Plantain is the market... Which market will be ready to get plantains harvested from 50 acres

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SteveOfu: 8:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
emmanuelewumi:
An average Nigerian enterpreneur or business man wants fund in form of equity or debt for expansion, but still want to retain total control of the business.

It doesn't work that way
it's my business and I should have both, how does is work?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SteveOfu: 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Founders can be so emotional to the title CEO.

With $10 million in my account after selling my shares and I still have 48% of the profit from the business, why should I be bothered that I have been removed as the CEO.

$10 million is big money even in US.
I will be bothered, my business I should be in charge or employ the CFO myself.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
SteveOfu:

It doesn't work that way. When PE Investors buy into your company, if there are 10 board members it will be shared either 50:50 or 60:40.

George was removed as the CEO of Health Plus and made the chairman of the company but she refused.

I think Chidi Okoro, the former CEO of GlaxoSmithkline who is newly employed as the CEO of the company will do a better job trying to reposition the company.

If you are the CEO, they will produce the chairman and the CFO.

Anything short of this, will be better to get funding through debts

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:01pm On Oct 02, 2020
SteveOfu:

If you will be bothered, you should for no reason sell more than 49% of your company to outsiders.

The new majority owners wanted the company to be an African brand but the founder is comfortable being a Nigerian brand.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:17pm On Oct 02, 2020
I miss t.b at 15.54 ...... I attempted to rent out some empty flats , several persons show interested strangely when it time to pay they dissapper......only 1 person has paid out of 20 person that show strong interest......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmaversity(m): 9:18pm On Oct 02, 2020
RayRay06677:

I got the 30m, against all sane advise I have commenced investing it in forex. Will finish the process as soon as I get to town as the concluding part needs my presence. I did 5m for 5 friends at Barafinance at 20%, we share the proceed 50/50 and I get my capital at the end of two years. 25m is for my mediate family and will need to open account for them and sign some documents on their behalf. Will do that as soon as I get back. I just feel justified wasting that much, 35m in all.
Thanks for replying
Wish you all the best in your investments.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
The number of disturbing calls from agents to tenates begging or pricing rents like tomatos ....me and not a fan of build to rents

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Founders can be so emotional to the title CEO.

With $10 million in my account after selling my shares and I still have 48% of the profit from the business, why should I be bothered that I have been removed as the CEO.

$10 million is big money even in US.
Sir I can understand that feeling by giving an example...... A manager in my firm was once offered a job in another company(foreign), with 12 times his current salary with benefits and he blatantly refused........He basks under the fact that his job and current position keeps him in charge of so many people's life and he really enjoys the way staffs tremble to approach him, he enjoys the fact that the states security apparatus and governors number is just a phone call away and no foreign job could give him such clout, hence he couldn't leave the job even if promised *100 his current pay.......

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:33pm On Oct 02, 2020
Green Northrern tannery among the first skin tannery company in Nigeria exporting and feeding Spain and Italy steady at the peak of it herr was office in Spain..it now history ....the massive ware house for export is now shopping store generating 50m per anum .....the hide and skin bussiness is dead ......but wait it did not die mr Lee a Chinese billionare and Amar a labasene took control of the industry and bought over all the supply networks of the Nigerians and still export millions of dollars wort of hide and skin from Nigeria and has lease/ bought 7 Nigerians own tanneries and now has a monopoly of all hide and skin in Nigeria,chad ,Niger and car

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 9:54pm On Oct 02, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
The number of disturbing calls from agents to tenates begging or pricing rents like tomatos ....me and not a fan of build to rents
Don't b discouraged........Use Parable of the 10 virgins to your advantage.......Make urself extremely Inassessable and only those who need the house on call will remain with their money in hand..........

Personally I no dey for all this call landlord, chat Landlord.....if it's important, u make it a point to meet me in person

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello guys!

Will it be wise to divert some notes one have into land purchases, e.g. like in estates, since we are in "dark age Nigeria" and investments [NTB, stocks, bonds, savings, et'al] are down?

Or do you have better options outside the above?

Thanks for you informed contributions already.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:02am On Oct 03, 2020
maishai:

Sir I can understand that feeling by giving an example...... A manager in my firm was once offered a job in another company(foreign), with 12 times his current salary with benefits and he blatantly refused........He basks under the fact that his job and current position keeps him in charge of so many people's life and he really enjoys the way staffs tremble to approach him, he enjoys the fact that the states security apparatus and governors number is just a phone call away and no foreign job could give him such clout, hence he couldn't leave the job even if promised *100 his current pay.......

This is different from someone who sold about 51% equity in his company for millions of dollars.

That $10 million can be used to start another company, which I can sell at a premium in another 10 years and the cycle will continue

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 4:51am On Oct 03, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

This is different from someone who sold about 51% equity in his company for millions of dollars.

That $10 million can be used to start another company, which I can sell at a premium in another 10 years and the cycle will continue

Sounds like he wants to eat his cake and have it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by innosolo: 5:29am On Oct 03, 2020
SCAM ALERT‼️‼️

That is how I got scammed

Please if you want to do forex, please don't invest through all those WhatsApp groups with the name FOREX TRADING INVESTMENT promising you double return on investment. They are scammer!

I got scammed through this.After seeing several ads on WhatsApp, I decided to give it a try before investing big.

I made my payment for 5k investment package to get
10k after the admin assured me that I will get paid within 45mins. But guess what? 45mins passed, 2hrs passed, 3hrs passed. You know what they started saying when I asked them. They said 5k package is no longer available, and also 10k package is no longer available that I have to pay extra 15k for 20k package before I can get paid. When I therefore demanded a refund, they said they can't make any refund till 1month. Imagine o!

They later promised to pay me the next day after much calling and all that. But even as I send you this message now, no payment. They refused picking my calls and removed me from the WhatsApp group. That is how my 5k use leg walk

If you invest through those WhatsApp group thinking you will get double of your money within 45mins, you are on you own. You are lucky because nobody told me this before I invest.

Here are the admins numbers and account number I paid to.

Ayodele happy
Access bank

Don't ever make payment to this account if you like your money

Be warned! Don't fall a victim like me. A word is enough for the wise
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Crazeworld(m): 6:10am On Oct 03, 2020
innosolo:
SCAM ALERT‼️‼️

That is how I got scammed

Don't ever make payment to this account if you like your money

Be warned! Don't fall a victim like me. A word is enough for the wise
Did this happen to you or someone else? I can't believe anyone who frequents this thread will be so gullible fall victim to ponzi schemes.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 6:11am On Oct 03, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Lol! Pricing, times are hard, stick to the price. Also, do a background check on the prospective tenant, run a verification on the tenants.

Welcome Alhaji Landlord.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 6:22am On Oct 03, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Lol! Pricing, times are hard, stick to the price. cheesy
Also, when they call be very courteous about it.

Agent: Hello Good morning Sir.

You: Good morning.

Agent: Sir, I get person wey want rent am for abc, but that your xyz price too much. Errr sir ,you know for that piece it is too much, let do a lesser amount and after 3 yrs you increase.

You: Agent! That's the rent, is there any other thing you wish you to discuss because I have a meeting in 5 mins

In addition, Speak to the previous landlord of your tenants, do a background and verification check on the tenants.

Finally if you ain't a fan of building to rent, you can as well sell it.

Welcome Alhaji Landlord.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 6:47am On Oct 03, 2020
Nezzjnr:

The problem I have with Plantain is the market... Which market will be ready to get plantains harvested from 50 acres

One of the major problems with agriculture in Nigeria is marketing/market..
Do your home work properly. Don't go into agriculture because you want to help build the country, go where you are sure you can recoup your capital and earn profit.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 7:40am On Oct 03, 2020
pluto09:

Do your home work properly. Don't going into agriculture because you want to help build the country, go where you are sure you can recoup your capital and earn profit.
I'm doing it for Financial gains
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by iamoyindamola(m): 8:04am On Oct 03, 2020
Nezzjnr:

Sell to those markets close to you and try estates since you will be distributing in bulk at once
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 03, 2020
pluto09:

Do your home work properly. Don't going into agriculture because you want to help build the country, go where you are sure you can recoup your capital and earn profit.

Where is your farm located?

Oluku before Bypass, Edo state is a thriving market place for plantains in Nigeria. I'd advise you check it out. Or better still if the distance is too great you can go there still to scout out buyers and make arrangements for purchases or something like that.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IyaTola: 8:38am On Oct 03, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Get a property lawyer or read the this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5915804/what-worst-experience-tenant/8#94172444

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 8:57am On Oct 03, 2020
ultron12345:

Lol... It seems Abdulsamad Rabiu's strategy at BUA group is "Copy Dangote". Dangote went into sugar and flour. They did same. Dangote sold his flour business. They did same. Dangote is into cement. They did same (at least, this broke the myth that government will kill destroy anyone who tries to enter cement business to protect dangote). Now, they recently gave out contract to a French company to build a 200,000bpd refinery in Akwa Ibom.

Reminds of one business case I came across a while back about MacDonalds and one other restaurant company (I think its Pizza Hut). Pizza Hut waits for McDonald's to do all the business and site analysis and immediately MacDonalds open a new branch, Pizza Hut does same and opens a branch opposite them.

That's one of the rules to get rich. Copy your competitors

https://www.businessinsider.in/a-29-year-old-self-made-millionaire-who-earns-100000-a-month-in-passive-income-says-there-are-4-rules-he-created-to-get-rich/amp_articleshow/71224623.cms?__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kalusam(m): 9:14am On Oct 03, 2020
Well said...nothing to add!
ultron12345:

There is no learning curve joor. Anyone who is serious will import the necessary expatriate management and specialized manpower from India at the beginning. Then they can transfer skills to local staff. Is farming rice more complicated than manufacturing cement that Nigerian companies are doing.

These small small farmers are not the one who will move agriculture forward in Nigeria. They can't take us anywhere. We need people and corporations who are ready to do agriculture on a large scale, who can afford the necessary mechanization and processing equipment and will farm land in thousands of hectares. Those small farmers will then be employed on these large farms and be paid salaries. Only the economies of scale alone will be able to bring down costs. Someone farming on 2000 hectares will produce at a lower cost per unit than someone farming on less than half hectare. Small farmer will buy bag of fertilizer at N5000 from middlemen because he's buying in small quantities. Big farmer will buy at N3000 direct from manufacturer because he's buying in hundreds of trailers. Such large farms will more productive as they will be able to afford the necessary seeds and fertilizers and best farm practices. This will solve the problem of small Nigerian farmers yielding 1 ton per hectare when their counterparts abroad are doing 8 tons per hectare.

All these tiny 2 plot farms cannot take us anywhere. These small farms lack economies of scale, are inefficient, poorly managed and unproductive. They are one of the reasons why food is expensive.

The way we look for people to invest billions in factories is the same way we need people to invest billions in farming. Or at best, cooperatives can be formed, where a group of small farmers or just ordinary investors can pull land and funds together to form a company underwhich they will be employees earning salaries monthly and then dividends at the end of the year. This cooperative will employ proper expatriate management who will manage the farm properly. If 5000 people pull N1Million each, that is N5B. Bank loan can be taken from bank of agriculture to make it up to N12-15B. Invest all this in a single sizeable rice farm with a rice mill of good capacity, and a plant to convert the remaining bran into animal feed or bran oil. Or invest that into a single cattle or poultry farm and tell me whether your products will not be cheaper and of better quality. One can even start taking advantage of the weak currency and start exporting since such company will be able to produce to high quality standards required by developed countries. Not to expect illiterate 2 plots farmers to export yam to Europe that will be returned due to poor quality. Is it Fulani herdsmen that will export beef or milk? Can they process beef properly to EU standards? Can they pasteurize milk at ultra-high temperatures and package it aseptically?

Imagine we didn't have big cement manufacturers. Imagine we had just thousands of small households who go to the mine, use chisel and shovel to dig up limestone and other minerals. Then use wheelbarrow to carry it home. Then start using iron block to manually grind the minerals. Then mix manually, heat with firewood, then grind again, the pour into those black polythene bags or into one big basin to take to the market to sell. Imagine how wasteful and inefficient this process is. Of course, the end product will be of a higher price and lower quality than that of huge, well-organized cement plants. This is the problem of agriculture today.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mybad: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2020

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 10:06am On Oct 03, 2020
please find below the Fixed Income rate guide effective, Monday 05/10/2020.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dsticks47(m): 10:09am On Oct 03, 2020
Dsticks47:
please find below the Fixed Income rate guide effective, Monday 05/10/2020.
Continuation.

For more info kindly get across to me through my Signature.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 10:58am On Oct 03, 2020
iamoyindamola:

Sell to those markets close to you and try estates since you will be distributing in bulk at once

Won't I have problem selling all at once

I would have chosen Mile12 but a lot of criminals are there posing as market agents

(1) (2) (3) ... (1574) (1575) (1576) (1577) (1578) (1579) (1580) ... (2264) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.