Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1828) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4444703 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1825) (1826) (1827) (1828) (1829) (1830) (1831) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 27, 2021
EarlyCareer:

As someone has mentioned already, you could think of them as a digital wallet. I am not very sure how quarterly reports play in here....maybe account statement you mean? They are not selling shares.

what is the relationship between selling shares got to do with business/company quarterly reports.Does it mean they don't have financial auditors

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 11:25pm On Mar 27, 2021
Biafran4life:
what is the relationship between selling shares got to do with business/company quarterly reports.Does it mean they don't have financial auditors

I think the other guys can respond to you, i do not intend to continue in this discuss or "monkey hunting" as you have described it, since we are "new" people.

Let us do what works for us all.

Best wishes.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obaze21: 4:28am On Mar 28, 2021
DaBogu:
10-15yrs

What examples of such companies?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obaze21: 4:29am On Mar 28, 2021
So apart from treasury bonds and like, what other safe investment are there? Pls help
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by handsomebolanle: 5:48am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

As someone has mentioned already, you could think of them as a digital wallet. I am not very sure how quarterly reports play in here....maybe account statement you mean? They are not selling shares.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 7:58am On Mar 28, 2021
obaze21:
So apart from treasury bonds and like, what other safe investment are there? Pls help

Savings account

Risk and investment go hand in hand
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 8:09am On Mar 28, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:48am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

They are using people's money to invest and paying interest. They need to be releasing financial statements and reports. How else would people know what they are doing with their money?

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:56am On Mar 28, 2021
afroxyz:
Does piggyvest release quarterly reports?

Not possible.

You have asked an important question

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:59am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

You don't have to sell shares before information about a business, profitablity of the business, sustainability of the business, and the source of the company's profits are made public. Especially a business that accepts cash from the public

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:07am On Mar 28, 2021
They will burst by retailing the same funds you people buy here lol. But only making it very easy for young people to buy them.

They target young people because they offer ease and a better user experience. As a young person, of course fund safety is also important, but if I can buy same bonds and funds you guys buy in a saner and better interface, why should I go through the traditional messed up process. Una like to they suffer grin

2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:14am On Mar 28, 2021
Which one is digital wallet na? When there receive deposit and also invest on customers behalf?

Like they (piggyvest) said, they started as a bank app (piggybank) and then graduated to an investment app. Even as a bank, they are supposed to be releasing quarterly report for investors and customers. This will enable them to have an idea of what their money is used for, know how their investment is faring and probably aid them in deciding whether to add more, hold or withdraw from the investment completely. The only thing I see them do is offer mouth watering rates to investors. That's not good enough.

Stanbic IBTC asset management send me monthly report on how their funds faring. I wanted to attach that of February 2021 but I couldn't and I don't want to start littering everywhere with screen shots.

Someone could be marketing anything anywhere on Nairaland without issues even if the product is not convincing enough and it will still be surviving but the fastest way to kill it is to bring it to this thread in an attempt to hoodwink unsuspecting investors. The person will make the bubble burst before it's time.

It's okay that newbies come to seek ideas but it does not sit well with me too when an investment is mentioned and you start seeing name that are new to the thread trooping to convince people of what they themselves are not completely convinced about.

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:17am On Mar 28, 2021
afroxyz:

They are using people's money to invest and paying interest. They need to be releasing financial statements and reports. How else would people know what they are doing with their money?

That's a good point. It depends on how you see it, or maybe I also do not understand this well. A private company owes no outsider this information, unless publicly traded in a stock exchange. The fintechs offer a service to their users, these users do not own shares so are not typically investors in the said company.

Not sure if all asset management companies in Nigeria that are not traded in the NSE release annual report. They just manage people's fund.

The one fintech I use gave a breakdown of all monies processed in 2020 to its users.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 9:19am On Mar 28, 2021
Analysis paralysis will eventually paralyse some people's journey to wealth creation. Yes, due diligence is very essential. However, when you're too sceptical about everything, you will end up doing nothing to achieve financial freedom. There is no need to re-invent the wheels when it comes to investment; simply do what wealthy people have successfully done over the years.

Determine your risk appetite and go for what works for you:

Low Risk = Treasury Bills, Mutual Funds, Fixed Income, Bonds...
Medium Risk = Real Estate Ownership, REITs...
High Risk = Stocks, Establish a business...

Putting your money in a venture that promises a 10% per month return shows how greedy you are. In fact, it's a waste of time to do any due diligence in this case. It's simply a no-no! 120% per annum!! Haba!!! And we should stop deceiving ourselves with the phrase ''the money you are willing to lose'' - what does that even mean? Even if you're a billionaire, why should there be a percentage of your riches that you're ready to lose?

One of my mentors always says: If you're too careful, you'll be careless!

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:21am On Mar 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

You don't have to sell shares before information about a business, profitablity of the business, sustainability of the business, and the source of the company's profits are made public. Especially a business that accepts cash from the public

You have a point.

Let me state here that I do not work for piggyvest, crowywise, kuda, etc. I use a few of the services some of them provide for convenience sake. I also use normal mutual funds and trade NSE.

Just as I responded above, this depends. They are not publicly traded. Perhaps this is a concrete step that they all have to take to gain further credibility....

That being said, people like us are risking it with them. Risk appetite differs, I guess.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:22am On Mar 28, 2021
DaBogu:
https://nairametrics.com/2020/11/09/top-5-fund-managers-in-nigeria-by-asset-value/

Stanbic IBTC Asset Management is really defending their position, over N400 billion under management

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:30am On Mar 28, 2021
freeman67:
Which one is digital wallet na? When there receive deposit and also invest on customers behalf?

Like they (piggyvest) said, they started as a bank app (piggybank) and then graduated to an investment app. Even as a bank, they are supposed to be releasing quarterly report for investors and customers. This will enable them to have an idea of what their money is used for, know how their investment is faring and probably aid them in deciding whether to add more, hold or withdraw from the investment completely. The only thing I see them do is offer mouth watering rates to investors. That's not good enough.

Stanbic IBTC asset management send me monthly report on how their funds faring. I wanted to attach that of February 2021 but I couldn't and I don't want to start littering everywhere with screen shots.

Someone could be marketing anything anywhere on Nairaland without issues even if the product is not convincing enough and it will still be surviving but the fastest way to kill it is to bring it to this thread in an attempt to hoodwink unsuspecting investors. The person will make the bubble burst before it's time.

It's okay that newbies come to seek ideas but it does not sit well with me too when an investment is mentioned and you start seeing name that are new to the thread trooping to convince people of what they themselves are not completely convinced about.

you also joined or started commenting in this thread because you replied to a person, right?

I understand your skepticism, however, not all of us are interested in becoming active contributors. Besides, is this now a clique thing as I have suspected? A less frequent contributor cannot have an opinion that goes against the norm?....

That aside, stanbic is publicly traded company. That should be the standard, I use them too. As I said above, fintech may eventually evolve to that stage, they give feedback to their users already so....let's see how it goes.

Also, a digital wallet is what it is...a digital wallet. You could look it up. Piggyvest is not only mentioned here, unless I am wrong. Crowywise provides bonds, etc. Some provide stocks etc

In closing, let people invest as they please. No one is forcing, people are just sharing their opinions for others to make educated guess. I am surprised that the criteria for opinions now is if a person is a consistent contributor. If I had agreed with you all, would you suspect me?

FYI, as I said, I use both old and new - Stanbic for mutual funds and Tb, and the fintech as digital wallet and for US stocks.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 9:30am On Mar 28, 2021
seyisanya:
Analysis paralysis will eventually paralyse some people's journey to wealth creation. Yes, due diligence is very essential. However, when you're too sceptical about everything, you will end up doing nothing to achieve financial freedom. There is no need to re-invent the wheels when it comes to investment; simply do what wealthy people have successfully done over the years.

Determine your risk appetite and go for what works for you:

Low Risk = Treasury Bills, Mutual Funds, Fixed Income, Bonds...
Medium Risk = Real Estate Ownership, REITs...
High Risk = Stocks, Establish a business...

Putting your money in a venture that promises a 10% per month return shows how greedy you are. In fact, it's a waste of time to do any due diligence in this case. It's simply a no-no! 120% per annum!! Haba!!! And we should stop deceiving ourselves with the phrase ''the money you are willing to lose'' - what does that even mean? Even if you're a billionaire, why should there be a percentage of your riches that you're ready to lose?

One of my mentors always says: If you're too careful, you'll be careless!
Oga no vex, abeg this REITs, is it like FG savings bond where we are paid 3 times a year upfront or like treasure bills paid upfront depending on the tenor on choose? Kindly educate me. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:38am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

That's a good point. It depends on how you see it, or maybe I also do not understand this well. A private company owes no outsider this information, unless publicly traded in a stock exchange. The fintechs offer a service to their users, these users do not own shares so are not typically investors in the said company.

Not sure if all asset management companies in Nigeria that are not traded in the NSE release annual report. They just manage people's fund.

The one fintech I use gave a breakdown of all monies processed in 2020 to its users.

Asset Management Firm send monthly and quarterly fact sheets to the public.

Companies who take funds from the public need to have audited results, it is not until they are listed

A number of private companies have their financial reports on their websites. They also need it in order to boost their credit rating

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:38am On Mar 28, 2021
Fintech is disrupting everywhere. That disruption of course may have it's risks, but the rewards so far have outweighed these risks.

I respect Fintech and no, they aren't frauds. I no come this world to suffer abeg.

Banking
I use Kuda Bank today, I remember how GTBank was always frustrating me to come to Nigeria to open a Non-resident account. These mofos would take days to respond to emails. I opened Kuda and it has been seamless ever since. No hidden transactions, no need to call customer care to get my session ID, it's all in the app.

Loans
I'm sure pay day loans were difficult and almost impossible for the average joe to take in Nigeria before Carbon came. Now you can get a loan in 5 minutes. Are they perfect? No, but they have forced traditional banks to now sit up. Nowadays loans don full everywhere. GTB sef does 1.5% grin

Treasury bills
Before I-invest came, treasury bills was a war. Now i can tell my younger brother to download these apps and start buying bills himself. No need to be negotiating in banks.

We need to democratize investment with technology, and the initial hesitation from this forum is normal, but we will get there grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:40am On Mar 28, 2021
I can't count how many bank employees have resigned in droves and moved to start working for Fintech.

I like what Fintechs have done to the employment industry sef. I been know say those years GTB and co with all their money go they pay devs 300k. As Fintech showed up, people moved in droves

"First because of the kind of innovative projects they get to work on" and
Secondly the possible reward of doing something innovative. Guess who is laughing last now??

Flutterwave is now valued more than UBA, First Bank Holdings, Access Bank, Stanbic IBTC, and most banks except GTBank and Zenith Bank in Nigeria.

Flutterwave is just a 5 year old company grin

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:43am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

you also joined or started commenting in this thread because you replied to a person, rights?

I understand your skepticism, however, not all of us are interested in becoming active contributors. Besides, is this now a clique thing as I have suspected? A less frequent contributor cannot have an opinion that goes against the norm?....

That aside, stanbic is publicly traded company. That should be the standard, I use them too. As I said above, fintech may eventually evolve to that stage, they give feedback to their users already so....let's see how it goes.

Also, a digital wallet is what it is...a digital wallet. You could look it up. Piggyvest is not only mentioned here, unless I am wrong. Crowywise provides bonds, etc. Some provide stocks etc

In closing, let people invest as they please. No one is forcing, people are just sharing their opinions for others to make educated guess. I am surprised that the criteria for opinions now is if a person is a consistent contributor. If I had agreed with you all, would you suspect me?

FYI, as I said, I use both old and new - Stanbic for mutual funds and Tb, and the fintech as digital wallet and for US stocks.

Stanbic IBTC Asset Management is not a publicly traded company. It is the parent company Stanbic IBTC Bank that is a public company
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:44am On Mar 28, 2021
Fintech is disrupting everywhere and causing commotion everywhere. Traditional banks are losing their staffs, and now they are losing their customers so the aggression is understandable. grin

And young people will prefer Fintech because of their innovation. PayPal doesn't accept Nigerians till Flutterwave came. Nigerian freelancers have always being duped by traditional banks exchanging their USD for them at 380 before these apps came.

All Nigerian banks card have now set a limit of $100 on international purchase before Barter came.
These people are casing commotion everywhere, offering real value and I love to see it.

Even in Europe, Revolut, Monzo, N26 and Starling bank are causing these kind of commotion cool cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:49am On Mar 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Stanbic IBTC Asset Management is not a publicly traded company. It is the parent company Stanbic IBTC Bank that is a public company

Of course, I know this. They are also publicly traded. As you said, they need to ensure public disclosure, first for SEC regulations, then to their investors.

Fintechs will eventually be publicly traded. Square is now in NYSE now trading at more than $200, SoFi just entered too through a SPAC, I think. Fidelity which is a top investment group in the US is adapting into having fintech-like services available to their users, though not as robust as the fintechs.

That is future, while brick and mortar methods (old school banking and investment ways) will also remain too. Everyone will choose what they prefer.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:52am On Mar 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Asset Management Firm send monthly and quarterly fact sheets to the public.

Companies who take funds from the public need to have audited results, it is not until they are listed

A number of private companies have their financial reports on their websites. They also need it in order to boost their credit rating

This is correct. Although, Morgan Capital have never sent me this...or maybe I am misunderstanding the context again.

Well, your views are respected. You contribute your wealth of experience here, you are not perfect but I also learn too, but I think this is an aspect we do not need to reach any agreement.

Let people do what their risk appetites agree with.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:53am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

you also joined or started commenting in this thread because you replied to a person, right?

Sorry, if this does not meet you well. I was not particular about you when made that comment. I sense I may send that wrong signal. That was why I even removed your post that I quoted. My first 2 - 3 of paragraph of that comment was in response to you.

However, the last 2 are general comments. I noticed the same thing here earlier especially with the MBA stuff. Anybody can choose when and how to enter a thread no doubt but I am personally sceptical when it's thrown into everyone's face. That's just all.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 9:55am On Mar 28, 2021
freeman67:

Sorry, if this does not meet you well. I was not particular about you when made that comment. I sense I may send that wrong signal. That was why I even removed your post that I quoted. My first 2 - 3 of paragraph of that comment was in response to you.

However, the last 2 are general comments. I noticed the same thing here earlier especially with the MBA stuff. Anybody can choose when and how to enter a thread no doubt but I am personally sceptical when it's thrown into everyone's face. That's just all.

No issues, boss.

One cannot be too careful, Nigeria is a weird place sometimes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 10:00am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

Bros. All you are highlighting is an indication of lack of regulation. Provided you are taking money from the public to invest, you have to provide financial statements. ARM is not publicly listed but they release financial statements.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 10:05am On Mar 28, 2021
EarlyCareer:

You have a point.

Let me state here that I do not work for piggyvest, crowywise, kuda, etc. I use a few of the services some of them provide for convenience sake. I also use normal mutual funds and trade NSE.

Just as I responded above, this depends. They are not publicly traded. Perhaps this is a concrete step that they all have to take to gain further credibility....

That being said, people like us are risking it with them. Risk appetite differs, I guess.

I use Kuda too, this Fintech is so customer centric, for example if when I use GTBank and have a disoense error, I have to call, follow up for weeks, go to the office and shout before my money is refunded, however with Kuda, the money is refunded automatically without me calling, Kuda wil also let you know when the reciepient bank has received the transfer, these Fintech also hold online seminars and give financial advice

I am not advertising them or saying ab=nyone should use or invest in them, they are licence by the CBN and promoted by the Vice President to fill up the gap the financial institution cannot fill, they are target at the young Nigerians and Millenials

Also their rates are not outrageous, Cowryrise offers the investment offered like the SUKUK bond, although there are other Fintechs popping up that are shady like Stashbox.ng and the likes, those ones may likely go bust

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 10:07am On Mar 28, 2021
DaBogu:
Oga no vex, abeg this REITs, is it like FG savings bond where we are paid 3 times a year upfront or like treasure bills paid upfront depending on the tenor on choose? Kindly educate me. Thanks.
None of these two examples you stated. They are traded like equities but very illiquid in nature for the obvious reason. Kindly read a few pages back for the pros and cons.

Remember, every investment type has some elements of risk attached to them. Do your due diligence!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 10:08am On Mar 28, 2021
afroxyz:

Bros. All you are highlighting is an indication of lack of regulation. Provided you are taking money from the public to invest, you have to provide financial statements. ARM is not publicly listed but they release financial statements.

True, ARM is much bigger, and are also pension managers. Good that they are doing this. As I said, i am yet to see Morgan capital's own. Maybe because they are stockbrokers and sell some bonds here and there....I might be wrong, and would also appreciate the correction

lack of or generally unclear regulations plague this sector. With time, and better people at the helm of affairs, things might improve, I guess.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EarlyCareer: 10:10am On Mar 28, 2021
richforever123:

I use Kuda too, this Fintech is so customer centric, for example if when I use GTBank and have a disoense error, I have to call, follow up for weeks, go to the office and shout before my money is refunded, however with Kuda, the money is refunded automatically without me calling, Kuda wil also let you know when the reciepient bank has received the transfer, these Fintech also hold online seminars and give financial advice

I am not advertising them or saying ab=nyone should use or invest in them, they are licence by the CBN and promoted by the Vice President to fill up the gap the financial institution cannot fill, they are target at the young Nigerians and Millenials

Also their rates are not outrageous, Cowryrise offers the investment offered like the SUKUK bond, although there are other Fintechs popping up that are shady like Stashbox.ng and the likes, those ones may likely go bust

Exactly.

There are also cons too, especially regarding full financial disclosure of their activities, but the credible ones will get there. Again, let people do what their risk appetite affords.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1825) (1826) (1827) (1828) (1829) (1830) (1831) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: richforever123, Entrepreneurrr, Grupo(m), ExceptionalCool(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.