Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1897) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4441383 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 2:52pm On May 21, 2021
The annualized rate of return over 37 years is 17.44%

ASI Final value (today) = 38,324

Start Value in 1984 = 100

And below is the formula if you wish to calculate it yourself for verification purposes.

(((final value/initial value)^1/no of years)-1)*100

emmanuelewumi:
The All Share index was introduced in January 1984.

At 100, looking at the current figure of the ASI who can help me with the annualized growth rate of the index from January 1984 to date?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga(m): 3:33pm On May 21, 2021
jedisco:
It's interesting how people who did not invest in crypt0 are crying more than the bereaved.... I've not seen that happen anywhere..

This chart is just another reminder that this pullback is both healthy and needed and frankly almost insignificant in the grand scheme of things... Like always, sooner or later, a strong market will come back stronger.

A few days ago, I bought at 42k and even added more at 36k... No regrets... Already in profit on some entries.
[/b]If we're lucky enough to see bitc0in under 30k, you can be rest assured I'd be selling my boxers to load up ....

according to the bolded, i believed u will sell ur boxers soon to loadup more crypt0 bcz as i can see now, we’re going to re-test $30k again and by this time, it should breakdown below it due to the order book showing the vol of those biddin at $30k is greater than those traders tryin to sell at $42500R/S zone. crypt0 was all about buy low and sell high but alot of noob were fomoing in green and after this massive dips, they re out of cash to buy low grin. well this is the best time for trader to take advantage of this volatility for their day to day long/short leveragin and also good for those who wanted to hodl for long to keep their cash and wait in $20k junction or be averaging down if s/he got the stamina. weekly chart is still showing bearish and we’re also waiting for monthly expirely contract on 28th may which will also impact market to be bearish so expect below $30k at the end of this month. at moment $btc is showing a falling wedge in a 4hours timeframe which is bullish pattern but i dont think it will be very easy to breakout $42500 R/S due to most of trader taking their profit using Resistance/Support and those panic seller going on in the market except if elon musk manipulate his twit with a positive btc word and i dunno if chart is allowed in here

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2021
skydiver01:

And below is the formula if you wish to calculate it yourself for verification purposes.

Assuming an average dividend yield of 5%, we should be looking at about 23% which is not bad
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bbbwings: 4:20pm On May 21, 2021
If dem buy leventis and dunlop
Na oyo o
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:38pm On May 21, 2021
Bbbwings:
If dem buy leventis and dunlop
Na oyo o

ASI is an average, some did worse and some did far better.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 5:41pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

How can you say Gold has no intrinsic value?

It is a precious metal, very useful in many different industries. Gold has value, beyond the subjective worth ascribed to it. Same can't be said of Crypto.

Useful in what exactly except jewellry? Is Gold used in more useful than Copper?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 5:44pm On May 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Lower stock price will give you a better dividend yield and earning yield

A stock price at N20, made earning of N4 and paid dividend of N2.

This will give a a price earning ratio of 5, earning yield of 20%, dividend yield of 10%.

If the price should fall to N10, the PE ratio will be 2.5, earning yield of 40% and dividend yield of 20%.

If you see your stock holdings as percentage holdings in a business you will understand, but if you see it as a lottery or gambling ticket you might not understand.

If the business fundamentals and other ratios are good, lower stock prices are good for value investors

Ok. I get your point.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Afromentalist: 5:50pm On May 21, 2021
afroxyz:
Useful in what exactly except jewellry? Is Gold used in more useful than Copper?
If you don't know in which domains Gold is useful except jewelry, and are too lazy to find out, you are not worth my time.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pussiboner: 5:56pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

If you don't know in which domains Gold is useful except jewelry, and are too lazy to find out, you are not worth my time.

You can simply just answer the question

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 6:08pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

Your are just being sentimental. When you have facts come back. Copper, steel palladium are used in industrial purpose. Apart from the fact that it does not fade, which is why it is used for jewelley, what is gold used for?

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by handsomebolanle: 6:10pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

Try not to shoot yourself at the leg.... smiley smiley smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Afromentalist: 6:24pm On May 21, 2021
handsomebolanle:
Try not to shoot yourself at the leg.... smiley smiley smiley
I understand why Seatrade always clashes with you people here. You are just too damm lazy, and moronic to think for yourselves. Infact the only reason I even visit this thread is because of Emmanuelewumi, and Seatrade (transatlanticex/logobenz).

A simple google search would have educated you lots, very easily, but you prefer to happily remain in ignorance and call people names.

Beside Jewelry (which is already a massive industry on its own), Gold is used in Information Technology (computers and phones), Electronics, Medicine, Space Technology and Exploration, Conservation techniques and the list is endless.

Gold is a necessary component to make: Connectors/contacts, Printed circuits, Semiconductors, Electron tubes, Relays and switches, Thin films and thick Films and very many others.

Now, I am not one to waste my precious time, as I am very certain you can't be educated. If I do not reply you or anyone else regarding this topic anymore, just know that you have not said anything that deserve my attention enough to elicit a response.

References:

The Demand for Gold by Industry
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF03214603.pdf

Business Insider - The Many uses of Gold
https://www.businessinsider.com/many-uses-of-gold-2012-9?r=DE&IR=T#gold-is-used-in-space-to-reflect-radiation-and-stabilize-temperatures-12

Gold the most useful Metal
https://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by STNWAUME(m): 6:29pm On May 21, 2021
skydiver01:

In 1984 exchange rate was N0.76k per USD today it's N485 per USD.

Do the calculation and tell me the returns for those holding dollar assets?

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by handsomebolanle: 6:32pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

smiley smiley smiley

.. Its just a conversation..... cheers broo...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 6:43pm On May 21, 2021
Ona still dey grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 6:46pm On May 21, 2021
Afromentalist:

I understand why Seatrade always clashes with you people here. You are just too damm lazy, and moronic to think for yourselves. Infact the only reason I even visit this thread is because of Emmanuelewumi, and Seatrade (transatlanticex/logobenz).

A simple google search would have educated you lots, very easily, but you prefer to happily remain in ignorance and call people names.

Beside Jewelry (which is already a massive industry on its own), Gold is used in Information Technology (computers and phones), Electronics, Medicine, Space Technology and Exploration, Conservation techniques and the list is endless.

Gold is a necessary component to make: Connectors/contacts, Printed circuits, Semiconductors, Electron tubes, Relays and switches, Thin films and thick Films and very many others.

Now, I am not one to waste my precious time, as I am very certain you can't be educated. If I do not reply you or anyone else regarding this topic anymore, just know that you have not said anything that deserve my attention enough to elicit a response.

References:

The Demand for Gold by Industry
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF03214603.pdf

Business Insider - The Many uses of Gold
https://www.businessinsider.com/many-uses-of-gold-2012-9?r=DE&IR=T#gold-is-used-in-space-to-reflect-radiation-and-stabilize-temperatures-12

Gold the most useful Metal
https://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

Now compare that with the uses of copper or steel and tell me which should have more value. Those two metals alone have much more use and importance than Gold. But why is gold considered as being more valuable?
Is gold even presently much more important than Lithium? The value of gold is extrinsic
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 7:04pm On May 21, 2021
The data varies but i would take one.

78% of Gold is used for jewellery. 19% is stored in gold bars and bullions. Leaving 3% for electronics, medicine and other purposes. How many percent of gold is used for space exploration and radiation (from the remaining 3%).

Its not by bringing just any search result from goggle. I expected more from someone who is not lazy to do his own research.

https://goldprice.com/project/facts-about-gold/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/299609/gold-demand-by-industry-sector-share/

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Afromentalist: 7:07pm On May 21, 2021
afroxyz:
Now compare that with the uses of copper or steel and tell me which should have more value. Those two metals alone have much more use and importance than Gold. But why is gold considered as being more valuable?
Is gold even presently much more important than Lithium? The value of gold is extrinsic
What has copper got to do with anything? Is copper and steel vs Gold the bone of contention or are you just being irrational?

The topic is, does Gold have intrinsic value beyond financial conventions? The answer is demonstrably yes. Does Cryptocurrency have at this point in time any intrinsic value beyond speculation/trading? The answer is no.

Let me give you the benefit of doubt: Can you understand the aforementioned sentence? If yes, reply logically and address it, if not, have a nice day and I shall not repeat thrice.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:11pm On May 21, 2021
afroxyz:

Can you help with the size of the deposits of these metals, ease of getting these metals and the prices of these metals?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Afromentalist: 7:12pm On May 21, 2021
Lol. I had not yet seen your last post.

You are clearly wasting my time. Thank you for the conversation, my time is up. Have a great day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:33pm On May 21, 2021
The annualized rate of return over 37 years using your initial and final value figures below is 19.07%

$:NGN Final value in 2021 = 485 Naira

$:NGN Start Value in 1984 = 76Kobo

I would also advise you that in future learn to ask questions politely. You have no right to TELL someone to do any calculations for you. So ask politely. I decided to compute the above for you because it is clear that you are unable to do the calculation yourself even after I had communicated the formula for computing it. Wishing you the best. Take care.

STNWAUME:

In 1984 exchange rate was N0.76k per USD today it's N485 per USD.

Do the calculation and tell me the returns for those holding dollar assets?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 7:54pm On May 21, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:05pm On May 21, 2021

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:09pm On May 21, 2021
It is easier demonizing what you don't understand

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 8:48pm On May 21, 2021
janga:

according to the bolded, i believed u will sell ur boxers soon to loadup more crypt0 bcz as i can see now, we’re going to re-test $30k again and by this time, it should breakdown below it due to the order book showing the vol of those biddin at $30k is greater than those traders tryin to sell at $42500R/S zone. crypt0 was all about buy low and sell high but alot of noob were fomoing in green and after this massive dips, they re out of cash to buy low grin. well this is the best time for trader to take advantage of this volatility for their day to day long/short leveragin and also good for those who wanted to hodl for long to keep their cash and wait in $20k junction or be averaging down if s/he got the stamina. weekly chart is still showing bearish and we’re also waiting for monthly expirely contract on 28th may which will also impact market to be bearish so expect below $30k at the end of this month. at moment $betec is showing a falling wedge in a 4hours timeframe which is bullish pattern but i dont think it will be very easy to breakout $42500 R/S due to most of trader taking their profit using Resistance/Support and those panic seller going on in the market except if elon musk manipulate his twit with a positive btc word and i dunno if chart is allowed in here

Of course, if bitc0in goes below 30k, I'd get some put in a cold wallet and let it be.... 3-6 months down the line, I'd look at what the price is and if I'm lucky its at 45k, I'd sell for over 50% profit. That's good enough for me. By the way, I've got waiting bids just incase it happens when I'm asleep. The fact that bitc0in has not gone to zero as a good number predicted is good enough

But then, that's not my point...
My point is people make profits and losses on all investments. Why is it that those not invested in bitc0in take it upon themselves to goad others whenever theres a dip?. That's what I don't understand. I invest in stocks and metals. some stocks are quite volatile.... I don't see people posting here whenever the stock market retraces or say those who bought landed property sell at a loss.. If I start posting selloffs in stocks or metals here do you think we'd have any form of discussion?

Folks should live and let live

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:54pm On May 21, 2021
afroxyz:
It is easier demonizing what you don't understand

For every Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc there were thousands of dot coms that are history, where investors lost 100% of their funds those who got loans went bankrupt

Margin of safety is very important and investing in assets with crazy valuations is dangerous.

Most of the dot coms had crazy valuations, PE of over 800 because of the reckless optimism of the uninitiated investors

History is about to repeat itself.

History repeats itself again and again.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:36pm On May 21, 2021
I still maintain that for a long term horizon. Naira is a shit currency compared to cryptocurrency. Investing in naira denominated assets is more risky than cryptocurrency. My naira exposure is not up to 5% of my overall portfolio.

And to complement jedisco's point, other investment classes like stocks, naira denominated instruments e.t.c are equally risky, but nobody here is being chastised for investing in these assets.

I will always let people know that cryptocurrency is risky but you have to be in it. I am yet to see any superior argument for ignoring cryptocurrency in a young man's portfolio. Is it risky? Yes. But so is stocks and naira.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:18pm On May 21, 2021
As far as I'm concerned, there is no real loss in bitco1n. Unless you are so scared or so in a hurry. Just relax, the money is almost certain.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 11:35pm On May 21, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
I still maintain that for a long term horizon. Naira is a shxt currency compared to crypt0currency. Investing in naira denominated assets is more risky than cryptocurrency. My naira exposure is not up to 5% of my overall portfolio.

And to complement jedisco's point, other investment classes like stocks, naira denominated instruments e.t.c are equally risky, but nobody here is being chastised for investing in these assets.

I will always let people know that crypt0currency is risky but you have to be in it. I am yet to see any superior argument for ignoring crypt0currency in a young man's portfolio. Is it risky? Yes. But so is stocks and naira.

My brother, this is not even about naira vs crypt0 or crypt0 vs other investments... It's just about folks letting others be... It would be childish for me to continually pull up NSE that have dumped recently and start saying look at how this one lost money e.t.c. some stocks lost over 50% in a week or two and yet everyone is silent... But once it's crypt0, people start bringing up funny pictures..

Few years back, I bought a piece of land in a area which was seemingly fast developing. Another reason I bought was cos it seemed there'd be some government input coming to the area... Of late, someone closeby who sold did so at a loss... I didn't start goading him.

I love to diversify... But as tricky as investing can be and off all the stuff I invest in, if I was asked to name some that I could with some degree of certainty say I can buy today and in the next 2-3years, easily liquidate for profit, bitc0in would be top on that list... Worse still, I can stake it at 7% pa and let in cool down

Regarding, the naira, it's our national currency and difficult to criticize...but when Emiefele started his magic, I simply converted my naira to stable coyns and market price... Around that time, people were looking for where and how to buy dollars. If I wanted to, I could equally stake it for about 7% pa and also not bother about volatility in naira or crypt0...

The crypt0 market has grown to almost 2 trillion dollar market cap. Whether I invest or not means nothing to the market.... Same also with our opinions

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 11:43pm On May 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

For every Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc there were thousands of dot coms that are history, where investors lost 100% of their funds those who got loans went bankrupt

Margin of safety is very important and investing in assets with crazy valuations is dangerous.

Most of the dot coms had crazy valuations, PE of over 800 because of the reckless optimism of the uninitiated investors

History is about to repeat itself.

History repeats itself again and again.

Crypto is on the verge of being an aol/Netscape or being a Microsoft/facebook. We'll see.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 12:12am On May 22, 2021
afroxyz:

Crypto is on the verge of being an aol/Netscape or being a Microsoft/facebook. We'll see.

We are at a precipice in the crypto world.

Pls how can I buy cryptos.......with this govt ban.

Some say binance ,paxful etc

Are they safe.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 12:27am On May 22, 2021
zamirikpo:

We are at a precipice in the crypto world.

Pls how can I buy cryptos.......with this govt ban.

Some say binance ,paxful etc

Are they safe.

With the government ban, P2P is what drives the current cryptocurrency transaction volume. While Binance and Paxful offer a relatively secure P2P platform, the overall decision framework for what is safe lies in your court.

I would say try out these platforms with like 10 USDT each and see for yourself which you like or not.

Note: I personally use Binance and it has been hitch free. This is not a recommendation though.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.