Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2021) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443027 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2018) (2019) (2020) (2021) (2022) (2023) (2024) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:08pm On Oct 31, 2021
kalu61:
These are the inevitable variables coupled with market uncertainty that's makes us take a decision that at the end one seen as a fool and the other genius.

I still go with th Buffet philosophy, Good business, good stock and don't worry about the % return as long you are sure they will definitely be % returns no matter how small. Just be sure it will return.

Buying a bad stock hoping it will turn around, buying a good stock and things turn around. That's the nature of investment.

Good input boss. You wealth of experience in much appreciated in this thread.

That is where you will enjoy corporate raiders, they buy bad businesses that are selling below their liquidation price on the floor of the stock exchange.

AG Leventis sold for about 70k, but by the time the core investors decided to take the company private they we're ready to pay investors about N2.00

At 70k the market capitalisation of the business was less than N700 million, but I know if the assets of the business were liquidated at forced sale there is a high possibility of getting N5 billion.

Eg UPDC REIT has a market capitalisation of about N12 billion, but if the investment properties of the REITs are sold we can get over N20 billion the REIT still has over N4 billion in fixed income Investments oooo.

Dangote came to NASCON as a corporate raiders in 2007, the stock moved from N3 to over N20, he was also a corporate raider at Benue Cement Company in 2006 the stock moved from N6 to over N40 before he mrged it will Dangote Cement.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
All Share Index was at a All Time High of 66,000 in 2008, it currently at about 41,000.

Zenith was a good business in 2008, but the stock price was not a good one.

It sold for N50.00 in 2008 and paid a dividend of about N1.00, giving a dividend yield of 2% when real estate was giving a rental yield of 5% and FGN bond was giving coupon of over 15%.

Although between 2008 and now the company gave a dividend of 1 for 2 and 1 for 4.

Considering the effects of the bonuses the dividend paid by the company has increased 300% from about N20 billion to over N90 billion between 2008 and 2021.

Successful investors know how to shuffle their Investments between different asset classes based on expected yield and are well diversified

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kalu61(m): 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

That is where you will enjoy corporate raiders, they buy bad businesses that are selling below their liquidation price on the floor of the stock exchange.

AG Leventis sold for about 70k, but by the time the core investors decided to take the company private they we're ready to pay investors about N2.00

At 70k the market capitalisation of the business was less than N700 million, but I know if the assets of the business were liquidated at forced sale there is a high possibility of getting N5 billion.

Eg UPDC REIT has a market capitalisation of about N12 billion, but if the investment properties of the REITs are sold we can get over N20 billion the REIT still has over N4 billion in fixed income Investments oooo.

Dangote came to NASCON as a corporate raiders in 2007, the stock moved from N3 to over N20, he was also a corporate raider at Benue Cement Company in 2006 the stock moved from N6 to over N40 before he mrged it will Dangote Cement.

In as much as l agree with everything you wrote here, the nature of we humans are skewed and that's the reason l will not call anybody fool for an investment decision that went wrong.

It's human nature to justify someone who got it right and discredit one who got it wrong. Good examples of Corporate Raiders there because they came out successful.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Market capitalisation is nothing, the bank with the highest market capitalisation might not be the highest in terms of profitability, best in terms of efficiency, the best in terms of return on equity, return on asset and growth rate. The most important things to look at at the intrinsic value of the business, the enterprise value of the business.

If anybody wants to get a 5% equity in any of the big banks in Nigeria there is no way their market capitalisation will not increase by a minimum of 80%.

Zenith Bank at N25, Jim Ovia will not sell his over 2.5 billion units for N70 billion Lai Lai doubt if he would sell for N100 billion which is about N40 per share. The annual dividend of over N7 billion is okay for him.

According to market capitalisation, Zenith Bank is about N800 billion. But the share holders fund alone is over N1 Trillion, deposits is over N4 Trillion and profit after tax is over N200 million.

When the market is low, you can value my property as N100 million. If the property owner is getting an annual rental income of N20 million from the property he is less concerned about whatever valuation ascribed to his Investment property.

When investors know the difference between price and value and understand the valuation of an asset, Investment, Busineses, venture they will be able to make profit through their understanding of the market Dynamics, behavioural finance and Investment psychology

You misunderstand me on certain things...

When looking at a markets, nothing gives a better picture of performance as the market cap over time (by time I mean years-decades)....This is because whatever fundamentals are at play in the individual participants of a market should ultimately affect price over time.
Now moving to individual participants of a market, a whole lot of indicators some of which you mentioned come into play of which the market cap is also among. I don't mean big market cap=huge product. But then, even in the NSE, there's a reason why the so called FUGAZ happen to have the highest market cap. 90% of growth over any timeframe in the US stock market are always accounted for by a handful of companies...... I can go on and on.... If I was to invest in the NSE today, except I have some good underlying info, I'd still be limited to a few big hitters.... Yes I want to be the one who bought Amazon, Apple or even our own Okumu when they were largely undervalued. But I wouldn't devote my whole portfolio to stuff I hope would be the next big thing that ends up being Myspace or Unity bank

If a sensible high net worth person wants to buy 5% in a listed coy, it'd surprise you to know that in that period the price of shares might remain stagnant or even fall not until the very end of their buying. When such folks buy, they do so slowly over a long period of time usually when the market is ranging. Sometimes, they'd even sell some of their buys to maintain price within a given range. I've seen this happen over and over again... The reason why you might see a huge uptick when there little buys on the NSE largely boils down to liquidity...

The example you gave with Zenith is a good one... If a coy has strong fundamentals for a long time that has not reflected in price, then it's either the market is trading at a mark down (which isn't bad) and prices would eventually catch-up or it's just an inefficient market where large coys can do as they please.... I wonder which one the NSE is.

Like I said, every market has period of markups, markdowns and periods where the market finds its true level.
Understanding how that market sentiment operates was the reason why for example I bought Bitc0in in May at 30k usd everyone was screaming how it's going to zero. Of course, I'd do the opposite when it gets to the other end.... Now my worry with the NSE is this: since 2008, it seems to have continually been in a downtrend... When will the markup come?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2021
jedisco:

When looking at a markets, nothing gives a better picture of performance as the market cap over time (by time I mean years-decades)....This is because whatever fundamentals are at play in the individual participants of a market should ultimately affect price over time.
Now moving to individual participants of a market, a whole lot of indicators some of which you mentioned come into play of which the market cap is also among. I don't mean big market cap=huge product. But then, even in the NSE, there's a reason why the so called FUGAZ happen to have the highest market cap. 90% of growth over any timeframe in the US stock market are always accounted for by a handful of companies...... I can go on and on.... If I was to invest in the NSE today, except I have some good underlying info, I'd still be limited to a few big hitters.... Yes I want to be the one who bought Amazon, Apple or even our own Okumu when they were largely undervalued. But I wouldn't devote my whole portfolio to stuff I hope would be the next big thing that ends up being Myspace or Unity bank

If a sensible high net worth person wants to buy 5% in a listed coy, it'd surprise you to know that in that period the price of shares might remain stagnant or even fall not until the very end of their buying. When such folks buy, they do so slowly over a long period of time usually when the market is ranging. Sometimes, they'd even sell some of their buys to maintain price within a given range. I've seen this happen over and over again... The reason why you might see a huge uptick when there little buys on the NSE largely boils down to liquidity...

The example you gave with Zenith is a good one... If a coy has strong fundamentals for a long time that has not reflected in price, then it's either the market is trading at a mark down (which isn't bad) and prices would eventually catch-up or it's just an inefficient market where large coys can do as they please.... I wonder which one the NSE is.

Like I said, every market has period of markups, markdowns and periods where the market finds its true level.
Understanding how that market sentiment operates was the reason why for example I bought Bitc0in in May at 30k usd everyone was screaming how it's going to zero. Of course, I'd do the opposite when it gets to the other end.... Now my worry with the NSE is this: since 2008, it seems to have continually been in a downtrend... When will the markup come?

At an All Time High All Share Index of over 66,000 in 2008 at a PE ratio of over 40 and dividend yield of less than 2%, it is obvious to the informed that the market was grossly over valued.

Market capitalisation moved from N600 billion in 2002 to almost N10 Trillion in 2008, how is that possible...

All Share Index moved from 8111 in 2000 to 66,000 in 2008, how possible.

The faster the rise, the deadly the fall and the longer it takes to recover.

Instead of looking at 2008.

Can we look at the growth from 2000 to 2021, where the All Share Index moved from 8111 to 41,000 and market capitalisation moved from less than N600 billion to over N20 Trillion.

Or look at the All Share Index from when it was introduced on January 1st 1984 at 100 to the present 41,000

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:46pm On Oct 31, 2021
kalu61:
In as much as l agree with everything you wrote here, the nature of we humans are skewed and that's the reason l will not call anybody fool for an investment decision that went wrong.

It's human nature to justify someone who got it right and discredit one who got it wrong. Good examples of Corporate Raiders there because they came out successful.

Corporate raiders usually come out successful, the guys who raider UACN have made back their capital at the time they got into UACN at around N6.00 the liquidation price per share is almost N20.

They had a leveraged buy in, I guess went on some asset stripping and should now be in profits
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2021
GTB has the highest capitalisation but it is not the most profitable, Zenith is the most profitable.

Access Bank has the highest deposit of almost N5 Trillion.

Zenith has the highest shareholders fund of over N1 Trillion

First Bank has the largest customers and branches, 20% of bank transfers are also initiated on First mobile

GTB has the highest productivity per employee

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2021
Take care of your January 2022 now.

Today is 31st of October 2021. It's exactly 61 days and we shall be in January 2022 by God's grace

Don't be caught in the usual long January thing as a result of end of year spendings.

You can start from tomorrow to keep money for your January financial support into the Abacus money market fund managed by investment one.

By January 1st 2022 you will be paid interest prorated for the two months at 7.56% or more with that your January well be well taken care of and you will be liquid as per cash.

To start, Click the link on my signature to open account for free. You need a minimum of N1,000 to start investing after your account is opened.

You can also reach me on phone if you need more clarifications.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

At an All Time High All Share Index of over 66,000 in 2008 at a PE ratio of over 40 and dividend yield of less than 2%, it is obvious to the informed that the market was gross over valued.

Market capitalisation moved from N600 billion in 2002 to almost N10 Trillion in 2008, how is that possible...

All Share Index moved from 8111 in 2000 to 66,000 in 2008, how possible.

The faster the rise, the deadly the fall and the longer it takes to recover.

Instead of looking at 2008.

Can we look at the growth from 2000 to 2021, where the All Share Index moved from 8111 to 41,000 and market capitalisation moved from less than N600 billion to over N20 Trillion.

Or look at the All Share Index from when it was introduced on January 1st 1984 at 100 to the present 41,000

Of course the market is higher valued today than it was in 1984 or 2000. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Truly, the 2008 peak was a classic bubble. The first so far in the NSE.. I wouldn't really blame retail money caught at the top that's just normal human nature... Folks would always be bullish at the top... The concern is that the market has continued to punish them for over 10 years... The market has failed to beat inflation (and devaluation in our case) which are critical indices
For comparison, the US stock market has historically beat inflation and so it always made more sense for their citizens to invest in it than keep money in the bank.

Around 2008, there was a worldwide market crash... But then, most other markets put in new highs in less than a decade... Same also with the covid crash. The difference was that even at the lows the covid crash, while certain markets traded far higher than their 2009 lows, the NSE was pushed back to its 2009 lows... Not good..

Everyone invests to make money and enjoy it in their lifetime. The life expectancy in Nigeria is less than 70... 14 years is alot of time to wait...

All said, 2 places I'd spare the NSE are these;

1. The NSE is largely linked to the Nigerian economy which has been largely stagnant over the last decade..

2. Looking at the historic ASI attached, it does seem set to break past this 42000-44000 region which it has struggled with over the past decade. This should see it set on another rally... I'd keep this in mind and revisit in the coming months.... If the last 10 years was a bear market, then hopefully, the bull market should be good... Afterall, some of the money the CBN is printing ought to find its way there

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 2:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
People talking about the USA stock market don't know that it is not a place where you easily make money. NSE has its problems but it isn't that bad, they key is in d stock selection process as well as timing.

Only a few seasoned analysts or edge funds managers make returns that beat the S&P 500, the yardstick usually used to measure performance. Only a few have alpha.

Note that the S&P 500 has a CAR, compounded annual return, of less than 9% over the last 40 years plus.

It is not all that rosy in the Big USA either, as some people make it out to be. I often read about how it's better to invest in an Index than buying individual stocks. Why?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2021
jedisco:

Of course the market is higher valued today than it was in 1984 or 2000. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Truly, the 2008 peak was a classic bubble. The first so far in the NSE.. I wouldn't really blame retail money caught at the top that's just normal human nature... Folks would always be bullish at the top... The concern is that the market has continued to punish them for over 10 years... The market has failed to beat inflation (and devaluation in our case) which are critical indices
For comparison, the US stock market has historically beat inflation and so it always made more sense for their citizens to invest in it than keep money in the bank.

Around 2008, there was a worldwide market crash... But then, most other markets put in new highs in less than a decade... Same also with the covid crash. The difference was that even at the lows the covid crash, while certain markets traded far higher than their 2009 lows, the NSE was pushed back to its 2009 lows... Not good..

Everyone invests to make money and enjoy it in their lifetime. The life expectancy in Nigeria is less than 70... 14 years is alot of time to wait...

All said, 2 places I'd spare the NSE are these;

1. The NSE is largely linked to the Nigerian economy which has been largely stagnant over the last decade..

2. Looking at the historic ASI attached, it does seem set to break past this 42000-44000 region which it has struggled with over the past decade. This should see it set on another rally... I'd keep this in mind and revisit in the coming months.... If the last 10 years was a bear market, then hopefully, the bull market should be good... Afterall, some of the money the CBN is printing ought to find its way there

Investors should invest in their financial education. I thank God for some of the older people I met between 2004 and 2009, who advised me to diversify my loot from the stock market.

I was a margin trader with FBN Quest Securities and UBA Stockbroker between 2002 and 2009, the market was good to me. I was using leverage of between 150% to 200% of my capital. I thought I was a genius, until an elderly man explained the importance of diversification and using yield from the assets for the basis of my investments.

This made me to sell 60% of my stocks and invested in real estate and money market instruments.

It is always better to remove the performance of the market between 2006 to 2008 in any serious analysis, there were no fundamentals to explain the sporadic rise.

Government policies also affects Investments, the policy of Obasanjo had a multiplier effects on our economy. Debts were liquidated and foreign direct and portfolio investors came into the country.

Yar Adua, reversed some of the policies and it affected the economy. The sale of 51% of the refineries to Dangote and Otedola consortium for $1 billion was courtesy of Oshiomhole led NLC pressure on government. In the recent financial of the Port Harcourt and Kaduna refineries both did not generate a Kobo but workers earned billions of Naira as salaries and loss after tax of about N500 billion was declared.

Crude oil sold at an All Time price of about $100 during the tenure of GEJ but was our reserves was depleted and the country went back into debt.

Buhari came on board a former minister of Petroleum in the late 70s, former Chief of Army staff, retired General and former President. All things being equal with the right entrepreneurial mindset such a person ought to be a billionaire without stealing public funds, but he was just there.

Without having politicians and leaders that are problem solvers and wealth creators, nothing good can happen in the country, except for those who have decided to take their destinies in their own hands through making the right Investments and financial plans

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2021
jedisco:

The statement above is not completely correct.

The USA stock market unlike NSE has over 20,000 stocks (NSE has less than 200 listed stocks lipsrsealed ). In there u can find all sorts, from badly performing to well performing stocks.

The common advice is to invest in stock indexes, like d ones that mirror S&P 500, NASDAC, dow jones etc. Trading or investing in individual stocks is risky same as in NSE, and u are most likely to loose ur money, except you have skills and knowledge.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:31pm On Oct 31, 2021
ositadima1:

People talking about the USA stock market don't know that it is not a place where you easily make money. NSE has its problems but it isn't that bad, they key is in d stock selection process as well as timing.

Only a few seasoned analysts or edge funds managers make returns that beat the S&P 500, the yardstick usually used to measure performance. Only a few have alpha.

Note that the S&P 500 has a CAR, compounded annual return, of less than 9% over the last 40 years plus.

It is not all that rosy in the Big USA either, as some people make it out to be. I often read about how it's better to invest in an Index than buying individual stocks. Why?

My philosophy is this, " invest in what you understand" it can be real estate, business, stock market, gold, Nigerian market, US Market, fixed income etc, do what suits you.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:34pm On Oct 31, 2021
ositadima1:

The USA stock market unlike NSE has over 20000 stocks. In there u can find all types, from badly performing to well performing stocks.

The common advice is to invest in stock indexes, like d ones that mirror S&P 500, NASDAC, dow jones etc. Trading or investing in individual stocks is risky same as in NSE, and u are most likely to loose ur money, except you have skills and knowledge.

Reason why I advise those complaining about NSE to buy equity mutual funds or Exchange Traded Funds

Pending when they become knowledgeable

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 2:56pm On Oct 31, 2021
jedisco:

Good companies on the NSE have been having depressed valuations. It is a long term inefficiency.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 31, 2021
kalu61:

Xiaoli please sell your Uber Pencil light Camry and buy this man 10 bottles of Cristal. Very valid points!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Xiaoli please sell your Uber Pencil light Camry and buy this man 10 bottles of Cristal. Very valid points!

Every human endeavour has 2 parts: skill and luck. Some activities are more skill than luck, like driving, it is repeatable with same results most of d time.
While some other activities are more luck than skill, like investing, you can do everything right and yet end up with poor results.

It is always better to judge d decision or process rather than the results.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
In the NSE, major investors who are supposed to help unlock value have alternative ways of benefiting from the company which is not dependent on stock price or dividends (supply contracts, insider deals, etc).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Buhari came on board a former minister of Petroleum in the late 70s, former Chief of Army staff, retired General and former President. All things being equal with the right entrepreneurial mindset such a person ought to be a billionaire without stealing public funds, but he was just there.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
einsteine:

Good companies on the NSE have been having depressed valuations. It is a long term inefficiency.

Yes if you are a trader, but those whose dividends increased by 100% and more in the last 10 years will disagree with you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmasoft:
Take care of your January 2022 now.

Today is 31st of October 2021. It's exactly 61 days and we shall be in January 2022 by God's grace

Don't be caught in the usual long January thing as a result of end of year spendings.

You can start from tomorrow to keep money for your January financial support into the Abacus money market fund managed by investment one.

By January 1st 2022 you will be paid interest prorated for the two months at 7.56% or more with that your January well be well taken care of and you will be liquid as per cash.

To start, Click the link on my signature to open account for free. You need a minimum of N1,000 to start investing after your account is opened.

You can also reach me on phone if you need more clarifications.

Of all the asset management firms in Naija, why are you the only one that is here marketing shamelessly every blessed day? Doesn’t that say something? undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by courage89(m): 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Yes if you are a trader, but those whose dividends increased by 100% and more in the last 10 years will disagree with you

UCAP, Afriprud comes to mind
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:40pm On Oct 31, 2021
courage89:

UCAP, Afriprud comes to mind

Those ones created huge wealth in the last 8 years when they were spun off UBA in 2013.

N9 million invested in 10 million units of UCAP in their right offer is worth over N93 million, plus total dividend of about N16 million earned in the last 3 years
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Of all the asset management firms in Naija, why are you the only one that is here marketing shamelessly every blessed day? Doesn’t that say something? undecided

Please help his hustle, Investments One is legit

13 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2021
Do you agree with this guy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 4:47pm On Oct 31, 2021
This is not necessarily true. If you are determined in life, with a strong will and passion towards your goals and mission, it does not really matter who you hang out with...

In fact, you could sometimes learn a lot by hanging out with fools or debtors.

emmanuelewumi:
Do you agree with this guy?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:49pm On Oct 31, 2021
Donbrig:
This is not necessarily true. If you are determined in life, with a strong will and passion towards your goals and mission, it does not really matter who you hang out with...

In fact, you could sometimes learn a lot by hanging out with fools or debtors.

Where you will be in 10 years are determined by the types of books you read and the types of friends you keep.

Maybe I should include by the types of threads you visit on Nairaland

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2021
ositadima1:

The USA stock market unlike NSE has over 20,000 stocks (NSE has less than 200 listed stocks lipsrsealed ). In there u can find all sorts, from badly performing to well performing stocks.

Like I had mentioned, the overwhelming majority of growth in the US stock markets are due to a handful of companies.... Take away googl, aapl, amazn tesl and a few others from the US markets and you're left with a poor performing market... But then, they have those trillion dollar coys which can carry the market... Just imagine what a coy of $500 b listed on the NSE will do to the market... Moreso, they've been able to squeeze funds from other jurisdictions into their market...

Like you said above, I've always been a preacher of the fact that very few people do outperform the market in which their asset trades. That's why when I want to invest in an asset class, I look at the strength of the underlying market first...

9% pa isn't bad esp when componded.... If as strong as the s&p is, the annualised return is 9%, how much more our own.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Investors should invest in their financial education. I thank God for some of the older people I met between 2004 and 2009, who advised me to diversify my loot from the stock market.

I was a margin trader with FBN Quest Securities and UBA Stockbroker between 2002 and 2009, the market was good to me. I was using leverage of between 150% to 200% of my capital. I thought I was a genius, until an elderly man explained the importance of diversification and using yield from the assets for the basis of my investments.

This made me to sell 60% of my stocks and invested in real estate and money market instruments.

It is always better to remove the performance of the market between 2006 to 2008 in any serious analysis, there were no fundamentals to explain the sporadic rise.

Government policies also affects Investments, the policy of Obasanjo had a multiplier effects on our economy. Debts were liquidated and foreign direct and portfolio investors came into the country.

Yar Adua, reversed some of the policies and it affected the economy. The sale of 51% of the refineries to Dangote and Otedola consortium for $1 billion was courtesy of Oshiomhole led NLC pressure on government. In the recent financial of the Port Harcourt and Kaduna refineries both did not generate a Kobo but workers earned billions of Naira as salaries and loss after tax of about N500 billion was declared.

Crude oil sold at an All Time price of about $100 during the tenure of GEJ but was our reserves was depleted and the country went back into debt.

Without having politicians and leaders that are problem solvers and wealth creators, nothing good can happen in the country, except for those who have decided to take their destinies in their own hands through making the right Investments and financial plans

What you said is fact... personally I avoid leverage moreso in a volatile market... It's always sensible to lock-in funds from a volatile market into a less volatile one until the mania dies down...

To me, 2006-2008 is the core of the analysis...its the mania phase a bullrun...where most money is made and lost... Funny enough, it's that mania that drives folks to volatile assets like crpt0. Unfortunately, it's at the manic phase that people rush in with their money..... If the NSE goes on another run like 06-08, I'd sure be a beneficiary.

OBJ did alot for the economy of this nation. He got the right heads in place. The reversal of the sale of refineries was one place where Yaradua shouldn't have listened to the populace... NNPC if well run should be listed on the NSE with valuation in billions of dollars... Yet today, it's a waste pipe.
FDI today is at it's lowest. Foreign portfolio investors who rushed into the Nigerian market during the last 6-10 years were dealt a heavy blow... It's now I understand why most were rushing to leave after the initial set of devaluation... Perhaps they saw something we didn't

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2021
I agree with you.. The friends we keep and the kind of books we read often shape our future. But there is nothing wrong keeping friends who are not as smart or rich as you. You just have to know the kind of friends you listen to or take advice from.

Don't tell me all Warren Buffet or Elon Musk friends are just as rich and smart as they are.

emmanuelewumi:

Where you will be in 10 years are determined by the types of books you read and the types of friends you keep.

Maybe I should include by the types of threads you visit on Nairaland
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2021
I listened to meffy not too long ago talking about Dangote refinery and how he'd float the naira once the refinery begin operations...

While the refinery will fo alot, if not anything by jobs alone, he forgets that Dangote has loans in usd to pay off...

It's interesting how the whole monetary policy of a nation is based on one mans personal business... No doubt, Dangote would milk that refinery for every penny.. The start date has been pushed back several times only for the government to buy up a stake at an exorbitant premium.... Dangote would make sure he's sorted all his other forex needs before the refinery kick starts..

One good thing is that Dangote is likely to insist on removal of petrol subsidy before the refinery begins production... Paying trillions to him in the name of subsidy would be too much bad press for him- something he tends to avoid. Funny enough, a good number of Nigerians wouldn't mind paying higher for petrol as far as Dangote isn't receiving subsidies

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
einsteine:

That's the worry of many. Good number know that some NSE coys are largely undervalued... But folks aren't rushing in cos the fear of corrupt practices eroding any market fundamentals

(1) (2) (3) ... (2018) (2019) (2020) (2021) (2022) (2023) (2024) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.