Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,331 members, 7,850,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:00 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2057) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4487857 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2054) (2055) (2056) (2057) (2058) (2059) (2060) ... (2239) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2022
[img][/img]
With every devaluation, certain things creep up again
If this trend has continued consistently for the past decade, then it's either our professionals are not getting some basics right or those on the other end are getting it better.

Someone queried that if interest rates are reduced, institutions would group to surrounding African nations with similar rates. The question would be why do folks hold bonds of western nations at very low-negative interest when nations like Venezuela, Argentina, e.t.c seems to be offering crazy good returns? The maths always adds up

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:31am On Jan 03, 2022
Though controversial, this recent statement by Turkey's president echoes my view

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:46am On Jan 03, 2022
ositadima1:
Last years stock market extremes. I wonder why Mansard is not in d list

Share reconstruction
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:18am On Jan 04, 2022
For those in the real sector and other entrepreneurs.

Bank loan can be used for the expansion of your business, the bank won't give you start up capital

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:19am On Jan 04, 2022
ositadima1:
Last years stock market extremes. I wonder why Mansard is not in d list

Axa Mansard is on this list

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 5:46pm On Jan 04, 2022
Thanks for sharing this post. I believe this is critically important for Nigerians to know when trying to get loans from banks to start up a new business.

In fact, this information even softened my anger against our banks, as to why they hardly give loans to intending entrepreneurs to start up a business. I now understand better.....

emmanuelewumi:
For those in the real sector and other entrepreneurs.

Bank loan can be used for the expansion of your business, the bank won't give you start up capital
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2022
Start your investment journey of 2022 at Investment One financial services.

You can invest in the following for yourself and minors:

Abacus money market fund
Vantage dollar fund
Dividend paying stocks.

With just a click from anywhere you are in the world, you have access to all investment products of your choice.

To start, click the link on my signature and open account for free.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
skydiver01:
The info you require is in the table below to 31 December 2021.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 2:05pm On Jan 05, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

Yield of 11.8%.

13.98 divided by 118 times 100

Good day Oga Emma nd other gurus in the house, Pls I purchased the above bond with the sum of 1.5m nd I want to know how much is my principal repayment by year 2028? Because I don't understand all these, that is why am always here to seek for knowledge all the time. I was told my principal would be 1,218,000. Am suprise as to what happened to my 280,000 missing
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 2:34pm On Jan 05, 2022
Principal repayment (face value) in Feb 2028 is ~N1,221,621.02 (you bought at a premium - N118) and total interest earned over 6 years is ~N1,024,695.71 + accrued interest since August 2021 of ~N85,391.31 which will be paid next month.

[quote author=Akerewe post=109103195][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2022
Akerewe:

Good day Oga Emma nd other gurus in the house, Pls I purchased the above bond with the sum of 1.5m nd I want to know how much is my principal repayment by year 2028? Because I don't understand all these, that is why am always here to seek for knowledge all the time. I was told my principal would be 1,218,000. Am suprise as to what happened to my 280,000 missing

You bought at a premium.

What is your annual coupon? What is the duration of the investment? You add up all these to determine your returns

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 2:52pm On Jan 05, 2022
skydiver01:
Principal repayment (face value) in Feb 2028 is ~N1,221,621.019 and total interest earned over 6 years is ~N1,024,695.71 + accrued interest since August 2021 of ~N85,391.31 which will be paid next month.

But from the analysis sent to me, this coupon will still be paid by 2028 feb+Aug and also repayment of the principal. How could the principal repayment b Feb according to ur explanation nd the coupon be extended to August?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

You bought at a premium.

What is your annual coupon? What is the duration of the investment? You add up all these to determine your returns
The below is the response I got when I question them

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:11pm On Jan 05, 2022
Akerewe:

The below is the response I got when I question them

You will earn N170,000 for 6 years, which is about N1.3 million

You spent N1.43 million to buy the investment

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:25pm On Jan 05, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

Your profit ( N1.3 million +N1.22 million) minus N1.43

Which is N2.52 million- N1.43 million which is about N1.1 million

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2022
My response above is in line with the response you have received from the bank. The bond matures in Feb 2028. I assumed the N1.5m included accrued interest from August last year. The next six months interest payment occurs next month (23 Feb 2022). The repayment of principal (face value) is paid on 23 Feb 2028. There is no principal repayment before this date if held to maturity.

Akerewe:

But from the analysis sent to me, this coupon will still be paid by 2028 feb+Aug and also repayment of the principal. How could the principal repayment b Feb according to ur explanation nd the coupon be extended to August?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 4:06pm On Jan 05, 2022
Akerewe:

What i will say is congratulations because you on course to understanding how the secondary BOND market plays out. As you probe further and in your future purchases, you begin to understand some things like
buying at par
buying at premium
buying at discount
clean price
dirty price
coupon rate
Yield
also when you buy bond close to the next coupon payment date and a little bit away from last coupon payment date, how this affect the price you pay in relation to the number of years left to the life of the bond.

my one cent advice to buyers on bond is to keep an eye on the yield. If you see a bond coupon rate at 16% and another one at 13% both in the secondary market. You cannot say the 16% is better than the 13%. Experience will show you to keep an eye on the yield. The 13% could end up being a better deal.

Only in the primary market or a new bond issue you can tell outright from the coupon rate which is better.

make i stop here

Oga emmanuelewumi has explained everything to you but from my early years of experience, i know it will be a bit confusing but as time goes on and you continue investing in the secondary market, it will become clearer

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:08pm On Jan 05, 2022
emmanuelewumi:

Ok noted, I will go tru it nd decided accordingly. Thanks for the insight
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 5:15pm On Jan 05, 2022
grin grin in fact u nail it, it's getting clearer bit by bit walahi. The whole thing was like a magic initially but with Oga Emma nd other gurus like U swift intervention, it's becoming clearer and av sent them a mail to mandate them to buy small one join am.

Thanks a lot THE WHOLE HOUSE

unite4real:

What i will say is congratulations because you on course to understanding how the secondary BOND market plays out. As you probe further and in your future purchases, you begin to understand some things like
buying at par
buying at premium
buying at discount
clean price
dirty price
coupon rate
Yield
also when you buy bond close to the next coupon payment date and a little bit away from last coupon payment date, how this affect the price you pay in relation to the number of years left to the life of the bond.

my one cent advice to buyers on bond is to keep an eye on the yield. If you see a bond coupon rate at 16% and another one at 13% both in the secondary market. You cannot say the 16% is better than the 13%. Experience will show you to keep an eye on the yield. The 13% could end up being a better deal.

Only in the primary market or a new bond issue you can tell outright from the coupon rate which is better.

make i stop here

Oga emmanuelewumi has explained everything to you but from my early years of experience, i know it will be a bit confusing but as time goes on and you continue investing in the secondary market, it will become clearer
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 7:42pm On Jan 05, 2022
Hello house, Has there been any news regarding the Sukuk bond issued last month?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 8:11pm On Jan 05, 2022
Pls I learnt above that the principal repayment will take place in February 2028 but I also got this below table from my broker stating that there is still going to be a payment feb+august 2028 then principal repayment also. Which one is correct between the two pls?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jabolo(m): 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2022
Akerewe:
Pls I learnt above that the principal repayment will take place in February 2028 but I also got this below table from my broker stating that there is still going to be a payment feb+august 2028 then principal repayment also. Which one is correct between the two pls?

Most likely a mistake IMO. You should not be expecting coupon payments after the bond has been redeemed.

Congratulations on your bond learning journey. You are very determined and the knowledge will pay off in the end.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:31pm On Jan 05, 2022
Akerewe:

This is the correct one. Bond coupon payment is bi-annual ie paid twice yearly. So the total amount of the rate is divided by two and paid at 6 months interval. Your last coupon will come with your principal. Depending on when the bond commenced, that could be in either in February or August 2028.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 11:25am On Jan 06, 2022
freeman67:

This is the correct one. Bond coupon payment is bi-annual ie paid twice yearly. So the total amount of the rate is divided by two and paid at 6 months interval. Your last coupon will come with your principal. Depending on when the bond commenced, that could be in either in February or August 2028.

Ok noted, thanks for the insight. Really appreciate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 11:27am On Jan 06, 2022
jabolo:

Most likely a mistake IMO. You should not be expecting coupon payments after the bond has been redeemed.

Congratulations on your bond learning journey. You are very determined and the knowledge will pay off in the end.

Thanks chief, Its a fact, am learning seriously!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 11:30am On Jan 06, 2022
APC has done it again, which tax b this one again after all the deductions from fixed income holders

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2022
The income tax is now applicable to income from bonds held by corporates and not those held by individuals. Furthermore, capital gains tax (CGT) is applicable to equity sales by both individuals & corporates wink

https://pwcnigeria.typepad.com/tax_matters_nigeria/2022/01/taxing-times-you-may-be-liable-to-tax-on-your-previously-exempted-investment-income-effective-from-t.html?utm_campaign=5a78693e94a32673ae004919&utm_content=61d1d17515103c00015f1f64&utm_medium=smarpshare&utm_source=twitter

Akerewe:
APC has done it again, which tax b this one again after all the deductions from fixed income holders

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2022
skydiver01:
The income tax is now applicable to income from bonds held by corporates and not those held by individuals. Furthermore, capital gains tax (CGT) is applicable to equity sales by both individuals & corporates wink

https://pwcnigeria.typepad.com/tax_matters_nigeria/2022/01/taxing-times-you-may-be-liable-to-tax-on-your-previously-exempted-investment-income-effective-from-t.html?utm_campaign=5a78693e94a32673ae004919&utm_content=61d1d17515103c00015f1f64&utm_medium=smarpshare&utm_source=twitter

Better for corporate nd not individual, I didn't read d article. Thanks for the insight

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 4:30pm On Jan 07, 2022
pls house, where can i obtain satisfactory credit bureau report, what is it all about and how do i go about it?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jabolo(m): 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2022
Akerewe:
pls house, where can i obtain satisfactory credit bureau report, what is it all about and how do i go about it?

I presume you are applying for credit.

Read here... https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/09/loans-in-nigeria-how-to-check-your-credit-score-and-also-improve-it/

How to check your credit score

Every Nigerian is entitled to one free Credit report every year from any registered Nigerian Credit Bureau. To get a free credit report in Nigeria, use any of the following sources:

Dial the USSD code *565*8# on your mobile phone to get instant Credit reports from CRC Credit Bureau. This service is currently available to MTN subscribers only. Read about ALAT USSD Code and how to use them
Get a free credit report from Nigeria’s first independent licensed credit bureau. You only get one free report per month.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by efismikoko(m): 7:51pm On Jan 07, 2022
Akerewe:

Please can you assist where you bought bond of that amount and how you went about it all I keep seeing is 50million and above thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 9:03pm On Jan 07, 2022
jabolo:

I presume you are applying for credit.

Read here... https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/09/loans-in-nigeria-how-to-check-your-credit-score-and-also-improve-it/

How to check your credit score

Every Nigerian is entitled to one free Credit report every year from any registered Nigerian Credit Bureau. To get a free credit report in Nigeria, use any of the following sources:

Dial the USSD code *565*8# on your mobile phone to get instant Credit reports from CRC Credit Bureau. This service is currently available to MTN subscribers only. Read about ALAT USSD Code and how to use them
Get a free credit report from Nigeria’s first independent licensed credit bureau. You only get one free report per month.

Thanks for the insight, it's just a response from my bank to my long time email enquiry on some of the credits products

(1) (2) (3) ... (2054) (2055) (2056) (2057) (2058) (2059) (2060) ... (2239) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.