Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4432133 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2138) (2139) (2140) (2141) (2142) (2143) (2144) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 6:00pm On Jul 08, 2023
Fyabdul:
Account number: 0024904846

Account Name: SISL/FGN SAVINGS BOND

Bank: Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc

Good evening all. Please how authentic is this above account? I received a mail that FGN Bond for 2 and 3 years are available and will close by Friday.
I don't have cscs account yet but said I can still bid. Please advice me.
This is in the public domain, check DMO website monthly.
To participate, walk into your bank to fill the form.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by debeey87(m): 1:51pm On Jul 11, 2023
I got this offer for a commercial paper from my stock broker. I haven't done CP before so I will appreciate contributions in understanding how it works. I have the following questions.

1. Are yields usually not stated as seen in the picture?
2. If the discount rate isn't the yield, why them was it included in the offer.
3. Can one extrapolate what the yield will be based on current yield for similar bonds with same tenor of 270days or 9-months.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Myhelper1: 4:42pm On Jul 11, 2023
debeey87:
I got this offer for a commercial paper from my stock broker. I haven't done CP before so I will appreciate contributions in understanding how it works. I have the following questions.

3. Can one extrapolate what the yield will be based on current yield for similar bonds with same tenor of 270days or 9-months.

Thank you.
Where is the picture? And who's offering the CP?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by debeey87(m): 12:56pm On Jul 12, 2023
Myhelper1:
Where is the picture? And who's offering the CP?

I thought the upload was successful. AOS Orwell is the one offering.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2023
debeey87:

Thank you.

Now that the picture is here, we can now see what we are discussing.

1. Yes, yields are usually stated the way it is there. However, I think it should not have been stated. Why? because the yield should precede the discount rate.

2. The discount rate is not yield. It was not included probably because they are yet to concluded on it. As you can see, TBC (To be Confirmed or so) is written against the discount rate column.

3. Yes, it is possible but I am not sure you will get any 9 months bond with this high yield even if it's corporate. Bonds are usually of longer tenures so any one seen at 9 months should be at it's final phase to maturity and thus, would have a much lesser yield. The appropriate instrument of comparison with CP is TB where similar tenures exists.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 1:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
debeey87:

I thought the upload was successful. AOS Orwell is the one offering.

I opened investment one account to see commercial paper, FGN bond primaries, secondaries and other fixed income offerings.
After logging in, only options to buy equities is showing. I don tire. Cc: emmasoft

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oyindamolah: 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
Olaide1295:

I opened investment one account to see commercial paper, FGN bond primaries, secondaries and other fixed income offerings.
After logging in, only options to buy equities is showing. I don tire. Cc: emmasoft
investmentone, GTbank has bought it. It now gtfundmanagers and their customers service is extremely poor. I can't still get statement of account

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 3:04pm On Jul 13, 2023
Oyindamolah:
investmentone, GTbank has bought it. It now gtfundmanagers and their customers service is extremely poor. I can't still get statement of account

You have to call the customer care number of gtfundmanagers to get statement of account.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
Oyindamolah:

Investment one is still a market operator as a financial service rendering firm. The whole entity was not sold to GTCO it was just the mutual funds ( Abacus, VGIF etc.) business that was sold to GTCO.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2023
Olaide1295:

@Olaide1295, thanks for the patronage. Kindly send a mail to customer care as per your findings and your request.

However, I have also registered your concerns with the appropriate team.

Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oyindamolah: 8:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
NL1960:

You have to call the customer care number of gtfundmanagers to get statement of account.
I have done that more than 8 times still sent a mail yet no response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 3:46am On Jul 14, 2023
Kindly find below NTB auction results for 12 July, 2023

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 1:54pm On Jul 14, 2023
skydiver01:

Outside the banks and one of my old stubborn rich uncle..who still buys Tbills at this rate undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IHelp: 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2023
feelamong:

Outside the banks and one of my old stubborn rich uncle..who still buys Tbills at this rate undecided

Another rich stubborn uncle somewhere else, stubborn child that wants to preserve capital with little gain, ...... grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 8:31pm On Jul 14, 2023
grin grin grin all I know is there was ~N653b subscribing for the one year bills two days ago... But your point is taken. wink
feelamong:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2023
feelamong:

Investors bought Nigeria’s one-year treasury bills at a rate of 5.9% per annum down from 6.2% per annum recorded in the previous bid.

This is despite an inflation rate of 22.4% year-on-year, suggesting they are happy to accept a negative real return of about -16.5%

The data was obtained from the latest auction report for Nigeria’s treasury bills sold during the week. The one-year bill matures on July 11, 2024.

Investors also staked a whopping N654.6 billion or 375% of the N137.5 billion that was eventually allowed.

An oversubscription indicates growing demand for risk-free investments despite offering a negative real return as the inflation rate was 22.4% in May (the June inflation rate was yet to be published).

https://nairametrics.com/2023/07/13/investors-rush-to-buy-treasury-bills-at-5-9pa-vs-inflation-at-22-4/

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enque(f): 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2023
skydiver01:

o ti lor!! grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 7:57pm On Jul 15, 2023
InvestmentOne is a disappointment, and I can't keep waiting.
Does anyone know any app to buy long dated FGN bonds (either primary or secondary market) or commercial papers?
I don't want to have to visit bank branches.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:21pm On Jul 15, 2023
Olaide1295:
Does anyone know any app to buy long dated FGN bonds (either primary or secondary market) or commercial papers?

Standard Chartered Bank Mobile App.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:07am On Jul 16, 2023
Quite right!! wink
freeman67:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by machine606: 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
skydiver01:
Quite right!! wink
How, I agree IONE disappointed on that too, because that was one of my major reasons opening an account with them. Do one have to have a standard Chartered bank account to participate? Also, is it different from Stanbic IBTC? I once saw a comment by either Emmanuelewumi or Emma Soft of FMDQ trading platform, How do one access this platform?
Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 10:34am On Jul 17, 2023
freeman67:

Downloaded the app some months ago but it's throwing an error and not letting me open an account (Due to system upgrade, our digital account opening is unavailable)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 10:36am On Jul 17, 2023
machine606:

How, I agree IONE disappointed on that too, because that was one of my major reasons opening an account with them. Do one have to have a standard Chartered bank account to participate? Also, is it different from Stanbic IBTC? I once saw a comment by either Emmanuelewumi or Emma Soft of FMDQ trading platform, How do one access this platform?
Thanks.
Does the Stanbic app let one buy FGN bonds? Are the investment options under 'My Bank' or 'Mutual funds'?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 11:06am On Jul 17, 2023
Olaide1295:

Does the Stanbic app let one buy FGN bonds? Are the investment options under 'My Bank' or 'Mutual funds'?

Mutual Funds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:14am On Jul 18, 2023
The 2034 FGN bond is due today. So I expect it to drop tomorrow or the day after cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oyindamolah: 2:17pm On Jul 19, 2023
Okay
emmasoft:

Investment one is still a market operator as a financial service rendering firm. The whole entity was not sold to GTCO it was just the mutual funds ( Abacus, VGIF etc.) business that was sold to GTCO.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by machine606: 11:23pm On Jul 19, 2023
Olaide1295:

I too, was inquiring.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:40am On Jul 20, 2023
Olaide1295:

Download the form, fill and mail to your bank or Investment house.

You can also submit the hardcopy to the bank or Investment house and make sure it is acknowledged
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 5:58am On Jul 20, 2023
With the devaluation of Naira, it is now crystal clear that anyone who invested in ONLY Naira denominated debt instruments without hedging has depleted their life savings.

From 2015 - 2023, the value of Naira has lost more than 380% in value. This demonstrates that no matter how much you compounded in the last 8 years. It is a TOTAL LOSS !

An interesting fact
"A" had $100,000 in 2015 and decided to invest in Nigerian debt instruments. A converted the funds to Naira @ N216/$ = N21,600,000. A locked in the funds for 10 years at 17% per annum.
After 8 years, A had an interest of N29,376,000. A total of N50,376,000 was realised after 8 years.

"B" had $100,000 but was lazy and decided to leave his own in a Dom acc with interest rate of 0.3%. Interest rate after 8 years was $2,400. Today, B decided to sell. Total capital and interest of $102,400 was sold @ N835/$ = N85,500,000. ("He doesn't have to sell yet"wink

A heard what B did and said had I known. Moral of the story, investing in debt instruments of a declining economy will only make you POOR. There is a reason why Dangote is the richest man in the world yet he uses public debt instruments to fund some of his projects.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2023
Generate your Virtual Account in SFS

For those who have already opened SFS fixed-income fund account, kindly generate your virtual account.
This will make the funding of your investment account seamless.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2023
TotoNaRubber:
With the devaluation of Naira, it is now crystal clear that anyone who invested in ONLY Naira denominated debt instruments without hedging has depleted their life savings.

From 2015 - 2023, the value of Naira has lost more than 380% in value. This demonstrates that no matter how much you compounded in the last 8 years. It is a TOTAL LOSS !

An interesting fact
"A" had $100,000 in 2015 and decided to invest in Nigerian debt instruments. A converted the funds to Naira @ N216/$ = N21,600,000. A locked in the funds for 10 years at 17% per annum.
After 8 years, A had an interest of N29,376,000. A total of N50,376,000 was realised after 8 years.

"B" had $100,000 but was lazy and decided to leave his own in a Dom acc with interest rate of 0.3%. Interest rate after 8 years was $2,400. Today, B decided to sell. Total capital and interest of $102,400 was sold @ N835/$ = N85,500,000. ("He doesn't have to sell yet"wink

A heard what B did and said had I known. Moral of the story, investing in debt instruments of a declining economy will only make you POOR. There is a reason why Dangote is the richest man in the world yet he uses public debt instruments to fund some of his projects.

Chai, this is the sad truth though about the abracadabra economy of Nigeria, the more you look, the less you see, on a second thought, if A invested in real estate,
will Real Estate investment in a Prime location yield 90 million Naira within the same period, all things been equal, l doubt so shocked

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 7:00am On Jul 21, 2023
skydiver01:
The 2034 FGN bond is due today. So I expect it to drop tomorrow or the day after cheesy

Did you get payment yet,?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2138) (2139) (2140) (2141) (2142) (2143) (2144) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.