Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2153) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4467193 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2150) (2151) (2152) (2153) (2154) (2155) (2156) ... (2234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adinije(f): 11:58am On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:
A guys could not sleep well at night because of his paper profit and had to sell 550,000 units yesterday to cash out about N27 million.

If he invests this in FGN bond he is sure of a coupon of about N4.4 million per annum for the next 25 years or more
Wow. I missed this. Which stock is best to buy now
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
Timmi:

Where did you see 16% for 2050 Bond, what I see is roughly 13%. Please I will be interested if you know where I can get the 16%. Thanks

Hope you know the difference between coupon and yield .

This is the current yield for today, from Stanbic IBTC Bank

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 1:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
Good riddance....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 1:32pm On Aug 30, 2023
Build and sell if you are in Lagos, it is more profitable than build to rent and bonds
Tohmey:
Investors in the house
Please, between
Building house for rent
And
Buying long term bond, mmf and fixed income fund
Which one is adviseable and that will yield more profit?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:34pm On Aug 30, 2023
XiaoLi:
Build and sell if you are in Lagos, it is more profitable than build to rent and bonds

If you build with N50 million, how much can one sell?

The expected profit margin? How long will it take to get a buyer?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
Tohmey:
Investors in the house
Please, between
Building house for rent
And

How much do you have with you, that will determine what to tell you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tohmey(m): 1:51pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

How much do you have with you, that will determine what to tell you
like 30m
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:54pm On Aug 30, 2023
Tohmey:
like 30m

That can only buy you land in most parts of Lagos mainland, unless you go to the outskirt of the city.

One funny guy said building a house is an achievement and not an investment.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:57pm On Aug 30, 2023
I have not been lucky with real estate investments, so I will always stick financial assets because I have more than an average knowledge in that

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:
I have not been lucky with real estate investments, so I will always stick financial assets because I have more than an average knowledge in that
Sorry about that,

It is a long term stuff. The rule is investing in a place that's coming up. Imagine for a second that the whole of Abuja was once a thick forest.

Infact Investing a bush where nothing is. What pharmacists call blind therapy.

Yeah I agree with you it is easier said than done. It is better to invest in what one have knowledge on.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Sorry about that,

It is a long term stuff. The rule is investing in a place that's coming up. Imagine for a second that the whole of Abuja was once a thick forest.

Yeah I agree with you it is easier said than done. It is better to invest in what one have knowledge on.

The liquidity is poor, predictabiliy of the cash flow is also

Better to have a warehouse, event center, car park, Mall, shopping complex, luxury apartments etc. This is why i have shares in UPDC REIT and SFS REIT

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 2:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

If you build with N50 million, how much can one sell?

The expected profit margin? How long will it take to get a buyer?

Especially in this tough economy.

An agent told me a surprising thing last week. He said that builders now prefer to build 2-bedroom flats for rent instead of 3-bedroom flats and duplexes. His reason being that with the economy, family size is now smaller.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rmx: 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Better to have a warehouse, event center, car park, Mall, shopping complex, luxury apartments etc. This is why i have shares in UPDC REIT and SFS REIT

Correct , always do commercial not residential, rate of default much lower , service apartments / Airbnb is another one for consideration . I do malls that I also take as a tenant

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rmx: 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Booking profit has nothing to do with the size of the fund, I have being buying Dangote Sugsr since it was N6.00 when it was discovered to be undervalued by Afrininvest, United Capital, CSL and other investment houses.

i got a loan to buy more in November 2022, my share from the proceeds of the sale of my grandna house was used to buy Dangote Sugsr and Nahco.

Dangote sugar supplies sugar to Coca cola nigeria, Seven up bottling company, Nestle, Cadbury and many companies in the foods and beverage industry, demand is growimg and the future is btight.

You did the right thing by selling at N52 after achieving your objectives although it closed at N57.50k yesterday.

i am riding it till it gets to N100. BUA foods is now N180 with 18 billion shares, Dangote foods will exceed N120 when the merger is concluded.

Objectives were over met , I agree it might get to 100 , I personally help that ministry by consuming 300 bags monthly in one of our enterprise

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rmx: 3:31pm On Aug 30, 2023
XiaoLi:

I agree especially for residential, take all your profit upfront and move to the next project . Might take more time however to sell
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
rmx:

Objectives were over met , I agree it might get to 100 , I personally help that ministry by consuming 300 bags monthly in one of our enterptrise

Very good when we patronize businesses where we have shares in.

I remember when I needed to paint in August 2023, I ordered 16 drums of paints from Berger Paints Plc because I have shares in the company

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:
I hope you guys bought Dangote Sugar shares when I was screaming buy ɓuy, the stock delivered 225% from 1st January 2023 till date and will do another 100% by the time the corporate restructuring of Dangote Sugar, NASCON and Dangote Rice to form a new company called Dangote Foods is concluded by the end of the year

Will be looking out for your future recommendations. But is there any stocks that is doing great now that one can key into?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Booking profit has nothing to do with the size of the fund, I have being buying Dangote Sugsr since it was N6.00 when it was discovered to be undervalued by Afrininvest, United Capital, CSL and other investment houses.

i got a loan to buy more in November 2022, my share from the proceeds of the sale of my grandna house was used to buy Dangote Sugsr and Nahco.

Dangote sugar supplies sugar to Coca cola nigeria, Seven up bottling company, Nestle, Cadbury and many companies in the foods and beverage industry, demand is growimg and the future is btight.

You did the right thing by selling at N52 after achieving your objectives although it closed at N57.50k yesterday.

i am riding it till it gets to N100. BUA foods is now N180 with 18 billion shares, Dangote foods will exceed N120 when the merger is concluded.

Please, how do i key in? I am new to all these stock investments.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 5:00pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

I agree. Particularly warehouse, shopping complex and event centres. 2 things Nigerians don't play with - their locations of business and flexing. They will find a way to pay rents for them.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
odimbannamdi:

Please, how do i key in? I am new to all these stock investments.

This is the wrong time to go in, invest in what you understand.

People have made 1000% from NAHCO between 2020 ie lock down and now, over 300% from Zenith Bank and GTB, 400% from Dangote Sugar between the same period
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 5:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

People have made 1000% from NAHCO between 2020 ie lock down and now, over 300% from Zenith Bank and GTB, 400% from Dangote Sugar between the same period

I agree...but we were once novices to the things we are now experts in... cheesy...besides, with you dropping recommendations, it will help us earn while we learn.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 7:17pm On Aug 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Sorry about that,

One thing I advise people now is as much as possible desist from investing in properties that are farther than one hour driving distance from your abode.........

Real estate investment in Africa is an extremely emotional issue, the fundamentals of ownership is not fully established

That said there are strategies to mitigate the so many unforeseen circumstances in real estate investment.........

I at times wish a thread like this one could cone out, where people can share their real life experiences

Real estate is very lucrative but the wahala is drawing out ur money put with peace of mind

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rmx: 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2023
odimbannamdi:

I agree...but we were once novices to the things we are now experts in... cheesy...besides, with you dropping recommendations, it will help us earn while we learn.

Follow the stock exchange thread , look for it

Try and know the basics by reading , lots of free resources online , You don’t need to be an expert before you start investing . Do your due diligence as you are the architect of everything that happens to you cool good or bad
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2023
odimbannamdi:

I can bet u dat when d time comes to move into stocks, u will be very half hearted, reason being that the whole atmosphere will be riddled with bad news but those are d only times where u can invest and expect 1000% profit excluding dividends

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
maishai:

I can bet u dat when d time comes to move into stocks, u will be very half hearted, reason being that the whole atmosphere will be riddled with bad news but those are d only times where u can invest and expect 1000% profit excluding dividends

No be today myself and the person you quoted have being discussing stocks, from way back before lock down.

Most people always rush in when the market is ɓullish.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2023
Tohmey:
Investors in the house
Please, between
Building house for rent
And

With investing, my rule of thumb is to at least beat inflation.

For rentals, you need to do the maths on rental yield which would depend on your location.
You have the sunk in cost of land + building the property (factor in inflation as prices are rising by the day). Then rental yield. You then factor expenses such as estate agent fees + repairs and lost income such as rent lost between tenants/defaulters/court cases.
If you're able to eck out a 5 - 10% rental yield, then its fair for most as the increase in the value of the property would make up for the rest and should bring you above inflation. It goes without saying that commercial/bespoke properties generally have higher rental yield and less hassle but the capital cost is more.

Regarding mmf/bonds, its less hassle and safer generally. You can easily calculate your income and the market is liquid. Should you need to recover capital its much easier than selling a high price property in Nigeria. Issue is that the base rates on these hardly beat inflation i.e you loose buying power. Compounding can help offset some.

Personally, on the medium term, I've made most profit with lands. Aside certain commercial builds, it's the most liquid part of the property market. Contrary to what is said, without a robust mortgage industry not many Nigerians have 100m lying about. A good, secured plot of land is more desirable to many and the roi could baloon quickly. The catch here is knowing where and when to buy and sell and the fact that there'd be no yield while the land is held.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
jedisco:

With investing, my rule of thumb is to at least beat inflation.

For rentals, you need to do the maths on rental yield which would depend on your location.
You have the sunk in cost of land + building the property (factor in inflation as prices are rising by the day). Then rental yield. You then factor expenses such as estate agent fees + repairs and lost income such as rent lost between tenants/defaulters/court cases.
If you're able to eck out a 5 - 10% rental yield, then its fair for most as the increase in the value of the property would make up for the rest and should bring you above inflation. It goes without saying that commercial/bespoke properties generally have higher rental yield and less hassle but the capital cost is more.

Regarding mmf/bonds, its less hassle and safer generally. You can easily calculate your income and the market is liquid. Should you need to recover capital its much easier than selling a high price property in Nigeria. Issue is that the base rates on these hardly beat inflation i.e you loose buying power. Compounding can help offset some.

Personally, on the medium term, I've made most profit with lands. Aside certain commercial builds, it's the most liquid part of the property market. Contrary to what is said, without a robust mortgage industry not many Nigerians have 100m lying about. A good, secured plot of land is more desirable to many and the roi could baloon quickly. The catch here is knowing where and when to buy and sell and the fact that there'd be no yield while the land is held.

Sir, I wish to ask, for practical advice on how to protect your real estate investment from what i term hawks.....

They usually appear when a property has appreciated substantially, say u bought a land 15years ago, built on it at lets say a cost of #100,000...... fast forward to today and same property is worth #50 million and the property is hotly being contested with u.............

I need practical experiences on how to mitigate this types of scenarios as I have found out dat at every point a property increases substantially in value, a new hawk comes out contesting the land

It’s always like, “no be only u go chop the benefits that comes from the property appreciation”..............

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
maishai:

Sir, I wish to ask, for practical advice on how to protect your real estate investment from what i term hawks.....

They usually appear when a property has appreciated substantially, say u bought a land 15years ago, built on it at lets say a cost of #100,000...... fast forward to today and same property is worth #50 million and the property is hotly being contested with u.............

I need practical experiences on how to mitigate this types of scenarios as I have found out dat at every point a property increases substantially in value, a new hawk comes out contesting the land

It’s always like, “no be only u go chop the benefits that comes from the property appreciation”..............

I thought you are based in the north. The issue is very common in Lagos and Ogun
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 10:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:
I hope you guys bought Dangote Sugar shares when I was screaming buy ɓuy, the stock delivered 225% from 1st January 2023 till date and will do another 100% by the time the corporate restructuring of Dangote Sugar, NASCON and Dangote Rice to form a new company called Dangote Foods is concluded by the end of the year

👍

Dangote Sugar agrees terms of merger with NASCON, Dangote Rice
Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc reached a critical phase in its business combination bid with salt-maker NASCON Allied Industries and Dangote Rice after the trio agreed to the terms and conditions clearing the path for their integration into a single entity.

The internal restructuring of the firms will be executed courtesy of “a scheme of merger under Section 711 of the Companies & Allied Matters Act, 2020 (as amended) and other applicable rules and regulations,” Dangote Sugar said in a Wednesday statement.

Dangote Sugar, NASCON and Dangote Rice are all members of the conglomerate Dangote Industries Limited controlled by Africa’s richest man Aliko Dangote.

Through the scheme consideration, 12 ordinary shares in NASCON will be exchanged for 11 Dangote Sugar shares, totalling 2,428,651,847 new ordinary shares of Dangote Shares.

Similarly, every one ordinary share of Dangote Rice will be swapped for 14 Dangote shares, adding up to 2,775,792,508 new ordinary shares of Dangote Shares, according to the document seen by PREMIUM.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/business-news/618718-dangote-sugar-agrees-terms-of-merger-with-nascon-dangote-rice.html
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 10:25pm On Aug 30, 2023
Buying a clean land in Lagos is not as difficult as most people thought.

Things to know before buying land in Lagos:

1. Make sure that the land is not government acquisition

2. Make sure the land is not a future road

3. If you are buying from Omonile make sure that they have a gazzette, Government allocation proof or that they won goverment by court ruling. If the family have any of this then they need to sign deeds of assignment for you to enable you perfect your title (get your governor's consent)

4. If you are buying from an individual request for the history of the land i.e who they bought from, what document was given to them when they bought. (The documents must be checked thoroughly by going to lands in Alausa to confirm)

5. If family A sold to you and family B won at the court as the owner of the land then you will need to do a ratification at family B who is now the legal owner of the land...the amount is negotiable [for a land that is still empty party B may decide to take it and chase you away....reason you need to develop your land immediately you buy in Lagos]

6. To achieve number 1-4 you need a qualified surveyor to pick the coordinate of the land for a proper search at Alausa (ministry of lands and the office of the surveyor generals office).

7. Every land has a history!

I will stop here for now.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phraences: 10:29pm On Aug 30, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Hello. Please what App or site do you use for the stock buying?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:12am On Aug 31, 2023
Phraences:

Hello. Please what App or site do you use for the stock buying?

I buy through any of my Stockbrokers, that is

FSDH Capital
Investment One Stockbrokers
Meristem Securities
Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (2150) (2151) (2152) (2153) (2154) (2155) (2156) ... (2234) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: uluocha and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.