Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,891 members, 7,863,047 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:56 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2236) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4508301 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2233) (2234) (2235) (2236) (2237) (2238) (2239) ... (2242) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 11:51am On May 26
uptimum123:
I intend to visit GTbank this week to purchase at the secondary market, is there any particular person I need to speak with when I get there ?

This is my first time
Speak with any account officer there

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 11:52am On May 26
Escapist:
Good morning all. I was informed by GTB that the minimum they accept for TB primary market is not 50m.

Are other banks still accepting lower and did anyone successfully bid below this amount with GTB?
They just started that last 2weeks citing CBN policies. I just hope other banks don't go that route
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yeddy99: 1:13pm On May 26
good day all.
if i subscribe to a 10 year bond at a 26% rate for example, is the rate locked in for the 10 years or does it fluctuate with current CBN rates?
Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 1:15pm On May 26
yeddy99:
good day all.
if i subscribe to a 10 year bond at a 26% rate for example, is the rate locked in for the 10 years or does it fluctuate with current CBN rates?
Thank you.

Locked in
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:27pm On May 26
farydah:
ok I did 5million at 15.5% for 352 days with zenith bank

I don't know when exactly you bought in February, but I'll assume late February implying that you've held for 90 days.

If the bank decides to discount it at 22%,
Term to maturity is 262 days.
Discount to the new buyer should be 5000000*0.22*262/366 = 790k approximately.

This means the new buyer only pays you 4,210,000.

At the time of purchase, you must have gotten a discount of about 747k meaning you were debited 4,253,000.

So your investment of 4,253,000 in February will now become 4,210,000 now, implying a loss on investment of about 43k.

Kindly note:
1. There are fees that may add up to increase this loss amount.
2. The actual loss may be slightly different since you didn't state the exact date you invested and I don't know the exact date you'll liquidate. But I think 90 days is a good approximation.

3. The primary reason you're losing money here is cos you bought at a low rate(15.5) and prevailing rates are now higher.

4. If the bank doesn't request for a discount as high as 22%, your losses will be reduced, but the higher the discount you're offering, the easier it is to get a buyer and the faster the liquidation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yeddy99: 1:27pm On May 26
thank you.
Itsrm:

Locked in

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by farydah: 2:03pm On May 26
[img][/
awesomeJ:

I don't know when exactly you bought in February, but I'll assume late February implying that you've held for 90 days.

At the time of purchase, you must have gotten a discount of about 747k meaning you were debited 4,253,000.

So your investment of 4,253,000 in February will now become 4,210,000 now, implying a loss on investment of about 43k.

Kindly note:
2. The actual loss may be slightly different since you didn't state the exact date you invested and I don't know the exact date you'll liquidate. But I think 90 days is a good approximation.

3. The primary reason you're losing money here is cos you bought at a low rate(15.5) and prevailing rates are now higher.

4. If the bank doesn't request for a discount as high as 22%, your losses will be reduced, but the higher the discount you're offering, the easier it is to get a buyer and the faster the liquidation.
thank you so much for your analysis. Pls find attached the certificate I was issued

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by farydah: 2:07pm On May 26
awesomeJ:

Kindly note:

the main reason I want to sell is that my mutual funds is currently giving me 18.80% or so. Is it worth it to sell off the treasury bills and put it in mutual funds?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by uptimum123(m): 2:16pm On May 26
Chikebrain:

Speak with any account officer there

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 2:32pm On May 26
farydah:
the main reason I want to sell is that my mutual funds is currently giving me 18.80% or so. Is it worth it to sell off the treasury bills and put it in mutual funds?

Your net gain will be less than 100k. Not worth it in my view.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 2:33pm On May 26
farydah:

1. Except you find someone that will buy the bills from you below that 18.8%, liquidating won't make any difference.

2. 352-day Tbills at 15.5% discount has about 18.3% yield which is close enough to the MMF yield.

Since you actually bought in March, my opinion is that that 15.5% deal you took wasn't fair enough as rates for long dated bills were already in the 20% levels.

Again, liquidating the bills to seek 18.8% in MMF isn't worth the effort as you're already getting over 18% yield.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:45pm On May 26
yeddy99:
good day all.
Thank you.

The rate is locked in. No increase, no decrease but not that the interest is paid bi-annually ( Splitted and paid twice yearly).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by farydah: 2:49pm On May 26
Itsrm:

Your net gain will be less than 100k. Not worth it in my view.
ok thanks for your input

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by farydah: 2:49pm On May 26
awesomeJ:

1. Except you find someone that will buy the bills from you below that 18.8%, liquidating won't make any difference.

2. 352-day Tbills at 15.5% discount has about 18.3% yield which is close enough to the MMF yield.

Since you actually bought in March, my opinion is that that 15.5% deal you took wasn't fair enough as rates for long dated bills were already in the 20% levels.

Again, liquidating the bills to seek 18.8% in MMF isn't worth the effort as you're already getting over 18% yield.
sigh! Ok then. Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 2:55pm On May 26
farydah:
sigh! Ok then. Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate
You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chelseamann(m): 5:28pm On May 26
What's stanbic TB rate currently?

Semi-annually, quarterly and annually?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Streetinvestor2: 5:33pm On May 26
If I decide to sell sukuk bond of 10 yrs at 13 % then.will I get a buyer.i have collected 3 yrs interest on it.
If someone is willing to buy.what should I be expecting on my principal if you use 1 million as example.
I want to see if I can sell and go for present better yield of 19 %
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 7:53pm On May 26
cheesy shocked
Streetinvestor2:
If I decide to sell sukuk bond of 10 yrs at 13 % then.will I get a buyer.i have collected 3 yrs interest on it.
If someone is willing to buy.what should I be expecting on my principal if you use 1 million as example.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:22pm On May 26
Streetinvestor2:

Some sukuk are traded on the NGX, so you may be able to offload there.
The big market for debt and currency trading is the FMDQ, but unless you have an associate license, you won't be able to trade there. Unless you become a client of the dealers there.

Most sukuk I'm seeing on the NGX are trading sub face value.

In the last session, FGSUKUK2027S3 traded 1,184 units at an average price of #71 (total value about 840k)

and FGSUKUK2033S6 traded about 50k units at #99.5 (total value about 50m).

So check if your instrument is listed on the NGX and see what the bids are on it.

But the principle remains, nobody would want to buy you debt at 13% when they could as well go for the 19% you're targeting.

The only time liquidating makes sense is if you need the proceeds for other purposes or you're moving across asset classes. Like selling off to buy stocks that are doing 0.3x PE, stuffs like that, but selling an instrument in expectation of getting into the same instrument at the prevailing yield won't work for the sole reason that no one is gonna rake your 13%, they may even be asking you for 21% which is higher than the 19% you were targeting.

One has to really consider two factors before going long term:

1. How stable is the exchange rate gonna be over the duration of my investment? Give this an 80% weight in your decision. Cos folks who bought USD assets with 1m three years ago bought about $2000 which has now become 3m. The coupons on any bond couldn't have matched that.

2. How likely is it that rates will go significantly higher/lower than what I want to lock into right now? Give that a 20% weighting.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freemindcity: 2:46pm On May 28
Please can somebody explain this to me thought it will be between 170,000 to 180,000 if taxes are remove please enlighten me abeg

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 3:13pm On May 28
freemindcity:
Please can somebody explain this to me thought it will be between 170,000 to 180,000 if taxes are remove please enlighten me abeg

grin grin grin just divide that your thoughts by 12 or 366 days as we are presently in a leap year. It should have been 365 days depending on what the firm decided to use. After that, multiply it by the number of days involved. Then minus the withholding tax. You will get the answer you seek.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by KarlTom: 3:32pm On May 28
12months = 180,000
1 month = 15,000 (180,000/12) smiley

PS: Which platform is this (the screenshot)?
freemindcity:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Macktaob(m): 3:53pm On May 28
Lol, bro thought it’s 18% monthly. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by narite: 4:48pm On May 28
freemindcity:
Which platform is this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 5:58pm On May 28
Macktaob:
Lol, bro thought it’s 18% monthly. smiley

Sometimes when it comes to investment rates like this, some investors go just forget simple interest and start thinking otherwise na wao. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 7:53pm On May 28
Naira seems to be having its best week ever.
Currently up 20.83% in two days. From 1482 on Friday to 1173 today.

Looks like MPR has peaked!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 8:58pm On May 28
awesomeJ:
Naira seems to be having its best week ever.
Currently up 20.83% in two days. From 1482 on Friday to 1173 today.

Looks like MPR has peaked!!!

Where are you seeing 1173?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mills55: 9:00pm On May 28
Please when is the next treasury bills auction date? Anyone with date should please help.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elui2(m): 9:03pm On May 28
Itsrm:

I was already wondering too

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:05pm On May 28
Mills55:
Please when is the next treasury bills auction date? Anyone with date should please help.

Next two auctions should be 5th and 12th June if public holidays don't disrupt.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kolamilan(m): 6:56am On May 29
Itsrm:

Where or site can I get this data.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 7:09am On May 29
kolamilan:

Where or site can I get this data.

www.fmdqgroup.com/exchange/

(1) (2) (3) ... (2233) (2234) (2235) (2236) (2237) (2238) (2239) ... (2242) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.