Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:02 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4643167 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (2264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reyus: 12:11pm On Jul 17, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Someone has advised you compound ur interest, now I propose you another idea. why not combine the two? Yes use one stone to kill two birds,lol.

with 40m. u can buy a very good title land in Lagos mainland (if u live in Lagos), c/o fenced and all for 20m. while u invest the other 20m.

Now this land will appreciate in value, while your treasury bills investment at say 18% can yield 3.5m for you annually, Infact you can gradually use the Tbills upfront interest to start up building project on the land or better still money for personal use :-) :-D

However if u take that whole 40m to erect a structure in Lagos, lemme use Lagos because I am more familiar with the terrain, I want to Guarantee you that you will not earn more than 4m naira as House rent (if all tenant cooperate oh). Now u see why I propose a HYBRID plan for you.

Earn 3.5m - 4m from 20m investment of Tbills
same time watch your 20m land appreciate annually

Good idea.

But landed property has been made a bit unattractive by the lawlessness of tenants and land grabbers. Inflation can affect TBills but if you need about 1-2 years (short term) cash flow without stories or disappointments, go for Tbills.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2017
Reyus:

Good idea.

But landed property has been made a bit unattractive by the lawlessness of tenants and land grabbers. Inflation can affect TBills but if you need about 1-2 years (short term) cash flow without stories or disappointments, go for Tbills.
I bought a TB from firstbank on friday but up till now, i am yet to be debited or credited. What could have happend. The banker told me dat i would receive alert on friday but nothing has been done on my account since then.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reyus: 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2017
Fm4real06:

I bought a TB from firstbank on friday but up till now, i am yet to be debited or credited. What could have happend. The banker told me dat i would receive alert on friday but nothing has been done on my account since then.

Secondary market.. They either forgot or could not do it for reasons best known to them.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2017
Fm4real06:

Most probably it has not been treated. Find out, it might still be lying untreated.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2017
Investnow2017:

Just back from First Bank. Got 342days tenor for 18.35% secondary market.

Think i am pretty ok with that. I actually wanted to do pry market on wednesday, but have to settle for this. Its close to my target

Quite impressive!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 3:21pm On Jul 17, 2017
Whats the current rate for 182 days? The guy at first bank told me that the last auction for 183 days was 17.5%. And that available for now is 185 days at 17.10%per annum or 178 days at 18% per annum. I don't understand what first bank mean by that. To my understanding, it also mean 183 days is for 17.10%, which is 6 months, is that correct?

Then i called again today after like an hour and the person i spoke to said available for now is 17.25 for 182 days. I don't understand first bank at all.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2017
dotcomnamename:
Whats the current rate for 182 days? The guy at first bank told me that the last auction for 183 days was 17.5%. And that available for now is 185 days at 17.10%per annum or 178 days at 18% per annum. I don't understand what first bank mean by that. To my understanding, it also mean 183 days is for 17.10%, which is 6 months, is that correct?

Then i called again today after like an hour and the person i spoke to said available for now is 17.25 for 182 days. I don't understand first bank at all.

There is nothing amiss. That is how secondary market works. A particular rate and tenor can be available now and the next minute it is bought up by someone else. I normally fill my form handy when going for the secondary market. I leave only the date and amount columns to fill when i am sitting by my account officer to see what is available and quickly fill up what i finally accept to buy.

The rates you see today are not likely to be available tomorrow except if the amount tied to a particular tenor was not exhausted on a given day. Even then the tenor will never remain the same the next day for obvious reason.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2017
Investnow2017:

There is nothing amiss. That is how secondary market works. A particular rate and tenor can be available now and the next minute it is bought up by someone else. I normally fill my form handy when going for the secondary market. I leave only the date and amount columns to fill when i am sitting by my account officer to see what is available and quickly fill up what i finally accept to buy.

The rates you see today are not likely to be available tomorrow except if the amount tied to a particular tenor was not exhausted on a given day. Even then the tenor will never remain the same the next day for obvious reason.

So the 17.25 for 182 days is not bad?

Nawa o, could believe that just now now they said its 17.2% shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. I think i should go for it quickly.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 3:58pm On Jul 17, 2017
dotcomnamename:

So the 17.25 for 182 days is not bad?

Nawa o, could believe that just now now they said its 17.2% shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. I think i should go for it quickly.

Even 17% is fine, very ok. I wld say go for it now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:07pm On Jul 17, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Sorry to tell you that you are the one who does not really understand how Secondary Market TB works. The available offers does'nt wait for anyone except if there are no buyers

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2017
TONY56:

Sorry to tell you that you are the one who does not really understand how Secondary Market TB works. The available offers does'nt wait for anyone except if there are no buyers

Now i understand. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2017
dotcomnamename:

yeh, 5m invested on 182 days, 17.2%. finger crossed! Thanks

Once debited, expect your N428k paid upfront in a matter of hours. For now the Most reliable investment without any heartache and without reasonable yields!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 6:12pm On Jul 17, 2017

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Yes, Infarct i ticked ''Yes'' to where they wrote 'Do you want to invest the interest payable upfront with this investment. What do you think? grin
You applied compounding interest already, excellent if you don't need the money asap

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by harlee(m): 9:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
for the gurus in the house,i need enlightenment,i went to Sterling bank to open a fixed deposit account of 5m with 8per cent interest rate in 30days, if I roll over in 6months that's like 48% in total,but with treasury bill,i will get 17% in 6months,so please explain how tb is better than fd
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2017
harlee:
for the gurus in the house,i need enlightenment,i went to Sterling bank to open a fixed deposit account of 5m with 8per cent interest rate in 30days, if I roll over in 6months that's like 48% in total,but with treasury bill,i will get 17% in 6months,so please explain how tb is better than fd

The 8% monthly interest is just about 0.67% of your Principal (8m) monthly. The implication is, you only get 8% of your investment in 12 months, plus other charges which will still be deducted. You can't compare this rate with the TBills rate. I have not mentioned the fact that interests on TBills are paid upfront... The implication is your actual interest is more than the stated.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Winneygirl(f): 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hi People,
Please keep your financials away from the internet.
You can get all d info you need on Tbills without telling the world your investment amounts.
Maybe everyone is anonymous on NL.
but there is nothing like anonymity in the 'right' hands.

cc
harlee
dotcomnamename
junglep
Iluminati
dyonpoint

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 6:13am On Jul 18, 2017
harlee:

Don't forget also that your interest on NTB is also given to you upfront and if you like, you can also invest it immediately to earn more and NTB interest is not subjected to Tax where as you pay Tax on your interest in Fixed deposit.

You better wise up my brother.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 9:11am On Jul 18, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 9:27am On Jul 18, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Just got an email from relationship manager first bank this morning now that they got 18% on 177 days for me. I did not even waste one minute time before I tell them to sign me up with N5m plus compounding interest. grin . I thought they've signed me up for 17% on 182days yesterday. I think it's pretty much cool now for 18% on 177days?.

Congrats. The waiting begins. I mean the waiting to welcome back your invested fund. It can be wearisome sometimes especially when you know that nothing else is coming along with it grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:11am On Jul 18, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Just got an email from relationship manager first bank this morning now that they got 18% on 177 days for me. I did not even waste one minute time before I tell them to sign me up with N5m plus compounding interest. grin . I thought they've signed me up for 17% on 182days yesterday. I think it's pretty much cool now for 18% on 177days?.

Got 18.25% for 352days before it was processed it was subscribed by someone else undecided Had to settle for 18% for 331days. Had to console myself with re-invested discount!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oriflamebaby1(f): 12:13pm On Jul 18, 2017
Please when is the next bidding day?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jp130(m): 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2017
I am off to bank now to submit my application for 364days. Nxt biddi day a thurs, 20th
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jp130(m): 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2017
I am off to bank now to submit my application for 364days. Nxt biddi day na thurs, 20th
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jp130(m): 12:48pm On Jul 18, 2017
Here is calendar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
dotcomnamename:

You have been advised to always omit the value of your investmentsite on this forum. Else you become a target to fraudsters and kidnappers. Stop endangering yourself pls.
Don't be surprised that there are "Evans" on the forum too or following your posts.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 1:08pm On Jul 18, 2017
iluminati:

The profit is too small na. i rather put the money in MMM and get 300k per month plus 100k referral bonus. total 400k

OK then just go quietly to ur MMM thread and leave us alone here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ntyce(m): 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
zamirikpo:

So I heard very late....What happened to them.

No need for panic bro, nothing is wrong with the bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
Oh you were wondering why i had to go for the Secondary market. The 'officer in charge' of TBills said she had never done Primary market before. "If you want TBills just buy from our Secondary market". Who am i to ascertain whether or not she was telling the truth. She speaks so fast and impatiently grin undecided
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
alezzy13:

Fixed deposit have been condemned and demonized on this thread, and I dont think its fair. Banks need money to survive and pay their workers.

If everyone stopped maintaining fixed deposits what would happen to banks? I'm not sure we want to see another round of retrenchment into the already supersaturated labour market.

My sister used to work for one these banks, and I know the kind of intense pressure they face to meet their targets.

BTW wouldn't consider myself a guru, just an opinion based on my understanding.

Banks do lots of other businesses other than just fixed deposits. They lend customers money to investors and business at a very high interest rates and most times nothing or next to nothing is paid back to their customers instead they keep charging customers for even services that are meant to be complementary.

They sponsor show and invest in idea to make profit.

They do forex deals...Most times apart from doing it legitimately which would have still earn them profit, they divert forex that are meant to be sold to customers at considerably/government approved rates to black market to make more profit without considering their customers.

They also give loan and salary advance to their customers and charge them for. They make money from this too.

They invest customers money in the same TB we are talking about(mind you not up to 20% of their customers does TB a lot of customers leave their monies in savings account and in most time they invest it.), Bond, commercial papers and other instruments that could give them money.

They do all those and more to get money.. even at that a lot of people are still doing the fixed deposit. People do it as short time investment.. rumor has it that top government officials most times will just fix their organizations money just to make something out of it. They can never use such money for TB and no matter how enlighten people become, they will always be people that will do fixed deposit.

So you see banks will always have their ways of making money. so just don't be scared that we are trying to make a little something for yourself. Banks no go chop all.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (2264) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: manwomanok, efismikoko(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.