Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (411) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442091 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olamytea(m): 10:00am On Oct 10, 2017
Kemade2007:
Please house, I'm at stanbic bank for TB secondary market. The officer in charge told me he needs to send a mail to confirm the tenor and rate on ground and more than 10mins now,they have not replied the mail. My question is
Is it normal procedure because I'm always on primary this is my first time of doing secondary market

Pls I need urgent reply.Thanks in advance

I waited an hour plus b4 a response was sent. And market is often bwt 10-2pm frm what I was told at Stanbic yesterday
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutiereborn(f): 10:03am On Oct 10, 2017
Guys I am at FBN now. Just got secondary market - 100days for 14.5%
See how fast I am filling the form.
They don't have 90days and the 85days and 73days are @13% each.
Hope it is a good buy for 500k going by the fall in rates currently?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PhilJames: 10:04am On Oct 10, 2017
Nowayo4Real:
Up till now I haven't been debited, though I did with FBN yesterday.
Just got debited this morning for my FBN secondary market purchase yesterday
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walexlo78: 10:20am On Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for the update. Anything above 250days? What rate?

cutiereborn:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kemade2007(f): 10:24am On Oct 10, 2017
Olamytea:

I waited an hour plus b4 a response was sent. And market is often bwt 10-2pm frm what I was told at Stanbic yesterday

Na wa o. Please did you fill form for the secondary market because the guy said I don't need to fill a form
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2017
cutiereborn:

Chai, e be like say na fastest finger now for secondary market. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Santino1(m): 10:34am On Oct 10, 2017
judlice84:
Gurus in the house,is it advisable to change dollars to naira and buy treasury bill or not....
Please,I need advice.
Thank you

Everything depends on your appetite for risk and what the forex market is doing.
This has been discussed before. Here is my post from an earlier post: Check page 338 for awesomeJ and others' awesome contributions on that page.
Santino1:

Pretty simple. As a simple example:

Let's assume you got USD 30,000 as a loan. When you convert it at the current exchange rate of 360 you get 10.8 million naira. You now invest the 11 million in T-Bills at 18%. (0.18*10,800,000) this will give you 12.98 million upon maturity (including your initial capital). Now assume the exchange rate is 500 naira to a dollar at maturity (which was the lowest naira value a while back). Divide 12.74 by 500 and you get about USD 25,500 which means in effect you have lost over USD 4000 due to the fluctuating FX.

This of course a simplified explanation but you get the gist I hope.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PeterKbaba: 10:35am On Oct 10, 2017
Very sad, but I had no choice but to invest my very large sum into 241 tenor for 15.25%.

My Question Is:
Is 241 Days Tenor For 15.25% Okay?
Is this rate okay?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutiereborn(f): 10:43am On Oct 10, 2017
walexlo78:
Thanks for the update. Anything above 250days? What rate?

I didn't ask cos I didn't want to invest above 90-100days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutiereborn(f): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2017
NL1960:

Chai, e be like say na fastest finger now for secondary market. grin cheesy
E no easy. I even ticked the box that interest should be reinvested with capital. Thank God for the lady who decided to confirm if it was what I wanted.
Abeg, pay me my interest upfront make I use the small change do something.
Was debited even before I left the bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:52am On Oct 10, 2017
Kemade2007:
Please house, I'm at stanbic bank for TB secondary market. The officer in charge told me he needs to send a mail to confirm the tenor and rate on ground and more than 10mins now,they have not replied the mail. My question is
Is it normal procedure because I'm always on primary this is my first time of doing secondary market

Yes, in Stanbic IBTC secondary market that's how is it. Feed back is gotten early only if you are lucky. Sometimes they just ask you to feel the form and leave the space for rate and tenor to be contacted later. Sometimes it takes uptill the next day before you are contacted.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 11:14am On Oct 10, 2017
Kemade2007:

Yes, its a normal practise in Stanbic, sometimes it takes more than 15mins b4 they get reply from their HO. What I do sometimes if I can't wait is to fill the form but leave the rate and tenor blank and have the CC call me with the rates available, if I hear what I like, I instruct her to fill it in and proceed.

Though I have a very good relationship with the CC at my branch
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:31am On Oct 10, 2017
PeterKbaba:
Very sad, but I had no choice but to invest my very large sum into 241 tenor for 15.25%.

My Question Is:
Is this rate okay?

Going by the current market condition, anything above 15% is fantastic grin

I will go for it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 11:38am On Oct 10, 2017
PeterKbaba:

My Question Is:
Is this rate okay?
Which bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
anitank:

That I'm very knowledgeable about TB today is because of you and a few others here, so thank you!

Thank God for the compliment. I too owe my enhanced knowledge to the gurus on this thread who have and are still exerting themselves selflessly on behalf of all and sundry in the house.

Investing requires patience and discipline, discipline above all.

I just did a little calculation a while ago. Assuming I had opened a mutual fund with just N100,000 at an average of 10%pa 15 years ago and had been topping it up yearly by just N10,000, you can't believe that by this year 2017 my total account balance would have been N4.4m Naira! That is the power of compound interest! If I check properly, assuming there was the vision and some discipline, it would have been possible with my annual income since then, but the lack of discipline has simply made it a fond story meant only to be told, which it is now, really.

The culture of investing should form a veritable part of our school curriculum and should be handled in a demonstrable manner. Equipped with this habit, a lot of graduates would not come down with hopelessness as we see in the face of the rising unemployment in our society today.

I still believe our school curriculum is neither dynamic nor pragmatic. And it will remain so, as long as it continues to maintain a widening disconnect with reality. Financial Education is for all literate and educated persons, it should not be limited to only those who read courses related to it. And don't be surprised, even many who had read courses bordering on finance still have issues putting their knowledge into practice, only because they had received their education as an abstract experience. Sad.

Cheers all. Trusting the new generation works its way out of this unreality!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
I now understand!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2017
Hello People,

Will trading still be on tomorrow morning?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2017
Investnow2017:

Thank God for the compliment. I too owe my enhanced knowledge to the gurus on this thread who have and are still exerting themselves selflessly on behalf of all and sundry in the house.

Investing requires patience and discipline, discipline above all.

I just did a little calculation a while ago. Assuming I had opened a mutual fund with just N100,000 at an average of 10%pa 15 years ago and had been topping it up yearly by just N10,000, you can't believe that by this year 2017 my total account balance would have been N4.4m Naira! That is the power of compound interest! If I check properly, assuming there was the vision and some discipline, it would have been possible with my annual income since then, but the lack of discipline has simply made it a fond story meant only to be told, which it is now, really.

The culture of investing should form a veritable part of our school curriculum and should be handled in a demonstrable manner. Equipped with this habit, a lot of graduates would not come down with hopelessness as we see in the face of the rising unemployment in our society today.

I still believe our school curriculum is neither dynamic nor pragmatic. And it will remain so, as long as it continues to maintain a widening disconnect with reality. Financial Education is for all literate and educated persons, it should not be limited to only those who read courses related to it. And don't be surprised, even many who had read courses bordering on finance still have issues putting their knowledge into practice, only because they had received their education as an abreast experience. Sad.

Cheers all. Trusting the new generation work its way out of this unreality!

Is it possible to get 10% consistently for such a long period as 15 years?. These mutual funds invest in TBs also and once rate is down, it will have an effect on the ROI.

When i had my child, i opened a mutual fund for him with First Bank and was consistently paying a certain amount into it every month with an eye on at least 10 years when he will enter secondary school so that i can least fund his boarding education in case. After some few years, the total amount i had put in has been so badly eroded and when i asked them the cause, i was told that the amount was invested in the stock market and that was when stocks were down with no hope of rising. I had to cut my losses by terminating it and move whatever amount i could get to a savings account after balancing up the expected total amount with an additional amount. At least, instead of the money to be dropping on a daily basis, savings account had the principal preserved. After learning of TBs, i have now invested the amount in TB while still continuing with the original monthly payment. Na me dey take charge of the money by myself now. Before i look at a mutual fund, i will have to be sure that it is a fund that does not invest in stocks as stocks are too volatile.

Now coming to the teaching of investment education side, parents should teach their children since it is not available in our curriculum. If my parents had taught me as Papa Landlord, Pa Emmanuel Ewumi parents had taught him, by now, i would have been richer than him. grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:18pm On Oct 10, 2017
NL1960:

Is it possible to get 10% consistently for such a long period as 15 years?. These mutual funds invest in TBs also and once rate is down, it will have an effect on the ROI.

When i had my child, i opened a mutual fund for him with First Bank and was consistently paying a certain amount into it every month with an eye on at least 10 years when he will enter secondary school so that i can least fund his boarding education in case. After some few years, the total amount i had put in has been so badly eroded and when i asked them the cause, i was told that the amount was invested in the stock market and that was when stocks were down with no hope of rising. I had to cut my losses by terminating it and move whatever amount i could get to a savings account after balancing up the expected total amount with an additional amount. At least, instead of the money to be dropping on a daily basis, savings account had the principal preserved. After learning of TBs, i have now invested the amount in TB while still continuing with the original monthly payment. Na me dey take charge of the money by myself now. Before i look at a mutual fund, i will have to be sure that it is a fund that does not invest in stocks as stocks are too volatile.

Now coming to the teaching of investment education side, parents should teach their children since it is not available in our curriculum. If my parents had taught me as Papa Landlord, Pa Emmanuel Ewumi parents had taught him, by now, i would have been richer than him. grin

Nice one there. As per the consistency of 10% return from money market mutual fund, it is very possible.

Sorry about the below average performance by your fund manager.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 1:58pm On Oct 10, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Nice one there. As per the consistency of 10% return from money market mutual fund, it is very possible.

Sorry about the below average performance by your fund manager.

I will appreciate a little insights. Is it purely on a Money Market Fund or a mix of Money Market and Stock?. I can gamble with my own funds for stock market but iam skeptical with gambling with those of my children.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
NL1960:

I will appreciate a little insights. Is it purely on a Money Market Fund or a mix of Money Market and Stock?. I can gamble with my own funds for stock market but iam skeptical with gambling with those of my children.

If I start we may derail this thread. But it is possible with a money market mutual fund.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by luluz4u: 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
hello guys , please can i just leave the amount to be debited for t-bill or i need to have the whole funds in my acct?.
for instance if i am buying t-bill of 600k for 365days at 17%. do i have to leave upto 600k in the acct or just 498k/500k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mascotlawman: 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2017
just got 338 days from first bank at 14%. hope the rate is good? I have been debited but am yet to receive my upfront interest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kemade2007(f): 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2017
Today's secondary rates at Stanbic
86days -14.5%
184days- 15.5%
289days- 14%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2017
NL1960:

Thanks for your contribution and for giving your own experience. I am glad you acknowledged that the type of mutual fund you invested in was one which instrument was tied to the stock market. But I guess you know that money market mutual fund preserves capital, there is no room to lose your capital. Over the past 10 years, on the average interest rates have not been lower than 9% (I mean on the average).

I do not entirely agree with you on your opinion regarding financial education. If children are to get it from their parents, what do you think will be the quality of such knowledge where the parents themselves had never had such education. Perhaps they may end up even misleading their children, using their own warped experience as an example which will not serve the children any good. You cannot give what you do not have. Is the same thing that is playing out in a larger measure in Nigeria today. You cannot compare the level and sophistication in financial corruption today to the type that we were all familiar with in the eighties. That is why fighting corruption using an ancient method is failing. For me the reason is obvious. The Bible says the power of sin is the law. Our laws must be well crafted to serve as a basis to effectively fight corruption. Until that is done, folks who had duped Billions of Naira will continue to give us a pleasant waive as they majestically walk to the court room, for they are sure they will pretty soon return celebrating their sure victory.

Financial education is a necessity for our age, and it begins with educating the mind and understanding the concept of money and its power. Unlike in the days of our aged parents, there are tooooooo many things that compete for the little income we earn today, and you need a sound financial discipline to sift through the myriads of material stuff on display to be able to separate your NEEDS from your WANTS. If in the days of our fathers, people could make do with a black and white television or assist yourself by visiting your neighbour to watch a television programme, that cannot be said of our day. The need for every adult to have as of necessity at least one Android Phone device cannot be overstressed in our time. It serves for both pleasure and also as a necessary tool to explore the world.

We do need to think seriously about re-evaluating our educational model and come up with a curriculum that can effectively match current realities in our society. Education can no longer be entirely abstract. And this change must begin with re-educating all the Resource Personnel in our educational system. Using a note researched in the seventies to lecture of the 21st century is almost a crime. This is a change I had looked forward to. But the change we see now.....hmnmhmnhmmn. We are yet to start cheesy

If not for the traumatic experience some had with the plethora of Ponzi schemes on the horizon some months back, and the growing hopelessness that come with joblessness, many wouldn't have known anything about Treasury Bills or Bonds. Learning through the hard way shouldn't always be the way.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 2:57pm On Oct 10, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

If I start we may derail this thread. But it is possible with a money market mutual fund.

The money market mutual fund you mentioned is enough for now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Oga Emma,

We are all here to take advantage of whatever knowledge we can get to improve our investment skills. Let us not be too uptight with our comments. You have been very generous on this Forum and many like me owe you many thanks. Please whenever you have any valuable contributions, PLEASE, PLEASE share it. The rule were made for us and not us for the rule. This whole fear of derailing thread is becoming a stumbling block. The Primary Thread is INVESTMENT. That is the way I understand it. It even sounds monotonous when we limit ourselves too strictly discussing nothing but same thing over and over and over again. Some digression and small quarrelling, do help to bring the better part of some of us grin grin grin

Please Oga Emma, if you have the time, share your experience as you have indicated.

Waiting, along with others too.

Cheers grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mascotlawman: 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
is 14% good for 338 days?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by luluz4u: 3:23pm On Oct 10, 2017
luluz4u:
hello guys , please can i just leave the amount to be debited for t-bill or i need to have the whole funds in my acct?.
for instance if i am buying t-bill of 600k for 365days at 17%. do i have to leave upto 600k in the acct or just 498k/500k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 3:23pm On Oct 10, 2017
Investnow2017:

Oga Emma,

We are all here to take advantage of whatever knowledge we can get to improve our investment skills. Let us not be too uptight with our comments. You have been very generous on this Forum and many like me owe you many thanks. Please whenever you have any valuable contributions, PLEASE, PLEASE share it. The rule were made for us and not us for the rule. This whole fear of derailing thread is becoming a stumbling block. The Primary Thread is INVESTMENT. That is the way I understand it. It even sounds monotonous when we limit ourselves too strictly discussing nothing but same thing over and over and over again. Some digression and small quarrelling, do help to bring the better part of some of us grin grin grin

Please Oga Emma, if you have the time, share your experience as you have indicated.

Waiting, along with others too.

Cheers grin grin

Well done boss, Oga Emma oya carry on O! grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by judlice84: 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
Thanks so much
Santino1:

Everything depends on your appetite for risk and what the forex market is doing.
This has been discussed before. Here is my post from an earlier post: Check page 338 for awesomeJ and others' awesome contributions on that page.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by judlice84: 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2017
I was told on the 18th
godello:
if the calendar is anything to go by, i thought 19th oct is the next bidding day?

(1) (2) (3) ... (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.