Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (414) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4440991 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 6:12pm On Oct 12, 2017
How come GTBank require 0.25% commission charge of the principal bid amounts, while First Bank charge only %0.1
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by atilla(m): 6:44pm On Oct 12, 2017
Hello all. If i buy on secondary market for 364 days for example. Am I going to wait for the whole 364 days or the remaining of tenor from when the person im buying from bought the tbill?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anitank(f): 8:13pm On Oct 12, 2017
atilla:
Hello all. If i buy on secondary market for 364 days for example. Am I going to wait for the whole 364 days or the remaining of tenor from when the person im buying from bought the tbill?

You'd hardly ever get 364 days tenor from secondary market. You only get things like 304, 343, 309 etc and that is what your interest would be based on. And yes you'd most likely be buying from someone who bought the 364 days but decided to sell after a few weeks or months but that's not your problem to worry about.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nicoletheo: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
Hello Sir,
I have only one question. How do I go about this Tbills thing? There are still some things I do not quite understand.

Investnow2017:

Thanks for your contribution and for giving your own experience. I am glad you acknowledged that the type of mutual fund you invested in was one which instrument was tied to the stock market. But I guess you know that money market mutual fund preserves capital, there is no room to lose your capital. Over the past 10 years, on the average interest rates has not been lower than 9% (I mean on the average).

I do not entirely agree with you on your opinion regarding financial education. If children are to get it from their parents, what do you think will be the quality of such knowledge where the parents themselves had never had such education. Perhaps they may end up even misleading their children, using their own warped experience as an example which will not serve the children any good. You cannot give what you do not have. Is the same thing that is playing out in a larger measure in Nigeria today. You cannot compare the level and sophistication in financial corruption today to the type that we were all familiar with in the eighties. That is why fighting corruption using an ancient method is failing. For me the reason is obvious. The Bible says the power of sin is the law. Our laws must be well crafted to serve as a basis to effectively fight corruption. Until that is done, folks who had duped Billions of Naira will continue to give us a pleasant waive as they majestically walk to the court room, for they are sure they will pretty soon return celebrating their sure victory.

Financial education is a necessity for our age, and it begins with educating the mind and understanding the concept of money and its power. Unlike in the days of our aged parents, there are tooooooo many things that compete for the little income we earn today, and you need a sound financial discipline to sift through the myriads of material stuff on display to be able to separate your NEEDS from your WANTS. If in the days of our fathers, people could make do with a black and white television or assist yourself by visiting your neighbour to watch a television programme, that cannot be said of our day. The need for every adult to have as of necessity at least one Android Phone device cannot be overstressed in our time. It serves for both pleasure and also as a necessary tool to explore the world.

We do need to think seriously about re-evaluating our educational model and come up with a curriculum that can effectively match current realities in our society. Education can no longer be entirely abstract. And this change must begin with re-educating all the Resource Personnel in our educational system. Using a note researched in the seventies to lecture of the 21st century is almost a crime. This is a change I had looked forward to. But the change we see now.....hmnmhmnhmmn. We are yet to start cheesy

If not for the traumatic experience some had with the plethora of Ponzi schemes on the horizon some months back, and the growing hopelessness that come with joblessness, many wouldn't have known anything about Treasury Bills or Bonds. Learning through the hard way shouldn't always be the way.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 1:54pm On Oct 13, 2017
anyone have the rates of zenith, first or diamond bank for today, any tenor above 180 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2017
Nicoletheo:
Hello Sir,
I have only one question. How do I go about this Tbills thing? There are still some things I do not quite understand.

If only you can read from page 1 to about page 300 or more, you will become a master of it and you are not likely to ask any question again
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2017
Nicoletheo:
Hello Sir,

Read the first 10 pages of this thread and continue your reading from page 290 to current page. I am confident you would have equipped yourself ready enough to participate confidently in this low risk investment model.

You won't regret this sacrifice, if you can spare the time. The idea is that it will afford you the opportunity to receive quality instructions from brilliant minds on this thread and not just mine alone.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:38am On Oct 14, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 8:52pm On Oct 14, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:03am On Oct 15, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 12:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Interesting and very enlightening Article:

Bitcoin’s rise in African markets is driven by an old Russian ponzi scheme: https://qz.com/1100886/bitcoin-in-africa-is-driven-by-mmm-mavrodi-ponzi-scheme/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 15, 2017
Guys, I want to invest 400k in TB for 91days. When is the next bidding commencing? Which bank is better? I have Stanbic IBTC, Firstbank and Diamond Bank account.
And whats the current interest rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
I just called Stanbic IBTC Bank CC and I was told that the next Auction Date for primary market is on Wednesday 18/10/2017.
She said the last interest rate was %13.25 for 91days.
Should I expect more or less of that this time around?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
And I forget to ask her one question, can I Terminate the contract and get back my money in case of an emergency where I might need the capital? Any penalty fee?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 5:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
Izuogu1:
I just called Stanbic IBTC Bank CC and I was told that the next Auction Date for primary market is on Wednesday 18/10/2017.
She said the last interest rate was %13.25 for 91days.
Should I expect more or less of that this time around?

Expect same or less.
If you're going for Primary market Stanbic is good.
Yes you can terminate NTB anytime and there is a very small penalty attached (see previous posts within last one month) which is not up to 2.5% of the invested amount but definitely smaller that the upfront interest paid to you and it's dependent also on how long you keep it before termination and the current market rate then.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
TONY56:

Expect same or less.
If you're going for Primary market Stanbic is good.
Yes you can terminate NTB anytime and there is a very small penalty attached (see previous posts within last one month) which is not up to 2.5% of the invested amount but definitely smaller that the upfront interest paid to you and it's dependent also on how long you keep it before termination and the current market rate then.
Ok..but do u think I can get a better deal elsewhere? (bank)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OwolabiAbayomi(m): 6:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
Hello guys,am new to T Bills and i have so many questions but let me start with. What is the minimum cash to invest in TB?
Is Diamond bank a good primary source?
due to my research i found out interest is tax exempt,which means?
How can i go with the right interest rate? so i dont get rejected
Kindly answer my questions bosses
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
OwolabiAbayomi:
Hello guys,am new to T Bills and i have so many questions but let me start with. What is the minimum cash to invest in TB?
Is Diamond bank a good primary source?
due to my research i found out interest is tax exempt,which means?
How can i go with the right interest rate? so i dont get rejected
Kindly answer my questions bosses
@ The bolded..its 100k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:05pm On Oct 15, 2017
Izuogu1:
Guys, I want to invest 400k in TB for 91days. When is the next bidding commencing? Which bank is better? I have Stanbic IBTC, Firstbank and Diamond Bank account.
And whats the current interest rate?
better hurry to the bank early tomorrow..if u hope to do pri market.

otherwise buy from sec mkt that same moro, if they say u are late for pri

first bank is best for sec mkt.

leave diamond
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ugoelvis1(m): 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
What's the best rate one could get on 182 days tenor on primary market with regards to the last auction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 9:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
Happy Sunday Fam,

I was at First Bank last week, filled the form for secondary market at 15% for 182 Days.

After some conversations with the lady n charge, she advised that I change it to primary market, which the next auction will be this week wednesday. She said the last rate at primary market was 17% for 182 days which she thinks might be a bit higher or just the same this week.

So, I decided to go with her advice and settled for this week's primary market sales but I didn't specify my bid, leaving it to bank rate.

What do you guys think?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lilee2hot(f): 1:16am On Oct 16, 2017
tolajay:
Happy Sunday Fam,

I was at First Bank last week, filled the form for secondary market at 15% for 182 Days.

After some conversations with the lady n charge, she advised that I change it to primary market, which the next auction will be this week wednesday. She said the last rate at primary market was 17% for 182 days which she thinks might be a bit higher or just the same this week.

So, I decided to go with her advice and settled for this week's primary market sales but I didn't specify my bid, leaving it to bank rate.

What do you guys think?
Most bankers are really out of touch with what's happening in the Tbills market. Smh
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 6:46am On Oct 16, 2017
tolajay:
Happy Sunday Fam,

What do you guys think?

Better run away from that branch because the lady actually lied to you deliberately so that her bank can still use your money with them.

Last auction for 182days was 15.5% and not 17%. I expect that you would know the last rate before going to the bank. She obviously didn't want you to do TB. When you fill form for this week's TB, you are very unlikely to get anything above 15.5% and it's likely to even be lower and if the bank is not successful, then they will continue to use your money.

She has actually capitalised on your ignorance.
I am almost sure that you are not a regular nairalander on this thread, cause if you are, you would have known last auction stop rate and she would not have been able to lie to you successfully

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:03am On Oct 16, 2017
lilee2hot:
Most bankers are really out of touch with what's happening in the Tbills market. Smh

It's not that they are out of tune.
They are only being mischievous, capitalising on the ignorance of newbies and that's why i have always advised people to go through the entire thread to familiarise themselves with the nitty gritty of the NTB before taking the plunge but most newbies are lazy, want to be spoon fed and are not ready to take the pain but are in a hurry to make it and only end up getting their fingers burnt as it appears to me that they prefer to learn the hard way

You see, when a TB officer sees or interacts with you, he or she will know if you know what you want or not and if you are versatile on it or not, then exploit you if you are discovered to be a newbie that is ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bliss11(m): 9:50am On Oct 16, 2017
hello thanks for all your input that helped me apply successful for tb in April, it's to mature this October and I was told that there would be things like holding or security charges is it normal? I used UBA
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:56am On Oct 16, 2017
CBN to Sell N133.8b T-Bills This Week as N174b Bills Mature
https://www.businesspost.ng/2017/10/16/cbn-sell-n133-8b-t-bills-week-n174b-bills-mature/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by megacontrol(m): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2017
which bank is preferred for pry market?

RealityShot:
better hurry to the bank early tomorrow..if u hope to do pri market.

otherwise buy from sec mkt that same moro, if they say u are late for pri

first bank is best for sec mkt.

leave diamond
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 16, 2017
megacontrol:

?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 11:12am On Oct 16, 2017
That's for those who don't know the difference between a ponzi scheme and a digital asset.

However, I am not surprised. Bad guys gets to use most new innovations, before the general public gets to know the true value. Example, Yahoo yahoo boys made internet popular in Nigeria.

MMM is ponzi, does not mean Bitcoin is a fad.

Very enlightening article from Quartz

Investnow2017:
Interesting and very enlightening Article:

Bitcoin’s rise in African markets is driven by an old Russian ponzi scheme: https://qz.com/1100886/bitcoin-in-africa-is-driven-by-mmm-mavrodi-ponzi-scheme/

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kemade2007(f): 11:49am On Oct 16, 2017
megacontrol:

Stanbic

(1) (2) (3) ... (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.