Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,686 members, 7,865,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 03:06 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (614) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4512305 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) ... (2243) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by katamo: 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2018
Infinitisi:
Bottom line for everyone I think should be it is important to invest your time and money in financial and economic education.

There are many online courses on investing and portfolio management which will teach you the different asset classes, interest rates, inflation, currency devaluation and how all these factors affect investment decisions and how to properly allocate your funds among different asset classes.

More often than not what separates the successful investors from the rest are education and experience. At least you have control over how much education you get.

You hit the nail on the head!!

There are many factors that impact the price of financial assets - and in different ways. Educating yourself about this will position you to make better investment decisions. Every financial asset is useful and using the knowledge you have to best position yourself in the market is all you can do.

While there are people that changed their dollars to naira at N160 and have now lost money, someone else exchanged their naira to dollars at N160 and made some nice profits. Similarly, there are those who bought dollars a year ago at N365 and kept in their dom account. Today dollar exchange rate is N360. If you had invested that money in Tbills instead of buying dollars, you would have been much better off. Stock market is another example - NSE was one of the best performing indices last year with 42% return - however, all those gains have essentially been wiped out this year.

The point is that you need to understand what makes these assets move in price and be on the right side of the trade. Now, this is no easy task and if any of us knew all the answers, we probably will not be in this forum anyway. All you can do is to educate yourself so you can make informed decisions that will increase the chances of you being on the right side of the trade. Good luck investing!

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 8:12pm On Nov 13, 2018
zamirikpo:
[right][/right][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

U r entitled to ur opinion but I totally disagree. Not everyone falls.....some of us have been rising and will continue infinitely.

Who said everyone falls? What the hell are you reading? Something is very wrong with your level of understanding

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
zinaunreal:

Who said everyone falls? What the hell are you reading? Something is very wrong with your level of understanding

Oga Einstein, propagating the theory of failure in a simple matter. read ur post again, by implication failure is inevitable for some best brains.

Where is ur proof that there is a degree of failure every/some successful investors should expect or may incure bcs of over sabi.....like u said.

Ur line of reasoning is ancient ....old....lame. like I said it's ur opinion and u r entitled to it, my reply is also my entitlement it doesn't call for such strong words, no be quarrel.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ramj: 10:02pm On Nov 13, 2018
Please I would like to know if GtBank issues TBills Certificate if you invest through them

Update: Got info I need.

Not much to comment on the topic today but soon I would be able to make intelligent contributions.

J'arrive.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bendo75(m): 10:40pm On Nov 13, 2018
Ramj:
Please I would like to know if GtBank issues TBills Certificate if you invest through them

Not sure but if you do online banking you will see all your TBills details when you login into your account.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ramj: 10:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
bendo75:

Not sure but if you do online banking you will see all your TBills details when you login into your account.

would it be printable like a doc you can present officially or does one get an automatically generated e-mail with PDF attachment that shows tbills investment details that Is tenable
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 11:05pm On Nov 13, 2018
zamirikpo:

Oga Einstein, propagating the theory of failure in a simple matter. read ur post again, by implication failure is inevitable for some best brains.

Where is ur proof that there is a degree of failure every/some successful investors should expect or may incure bcs of over sabi.....like u said.

Ur line of reasoning is ancient ....old....lame. like I said it's ur opinion and u r entitled to it, my reply is also my entitlement it doesn't call for such strong words, no be quarrel.

My friend get lost. You lack fluid in your dry brain

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deepwater(f): 12:01am On Nov 14, 2018
Finally, they wan close this thread wey man pikin take they see small choppings.

Why fighting, any body should invest where they like.

People shouting millions millions here up and down, if u check now shi shi no gum dem. Some are just broke a.s.s investment bankers who have access to customers details, they go come KOLOBI the story like saythe thing happen to them directly.

The 2016 dollar rush should not be used as an investment example, as the odds are you could be struck by a thunder more times than seeing the 2016 rush repeat again.

PDP is coming to share the money again.

Guys dont get it, buy that TB today or before the election. Nigeria has defiled all logical terms and theory

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 14, 2018
I find this disrespectful....What do you mean by broke ass Bankers deepwater ??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 12:34am On Nov 14, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 12:35am On Nov 14, 2018
Nnamz:
I think I get what this guy has been trying to say and I'm sure I'm not the only one he has made to seriously consider the benefits of tbills. At first I was very skeptical about him like "what is this ode coming here to say na" but now I'm even thankful to him.

A user here ^ ^ just shared his experience of "investing" 15mN, which later grew to 31mN. Funny thing is that even with the over 16mN interest, he still lost about 12,500 Dollars. Now keep in mind that he would have been better off if he had kept his 15mN in a dorm account. But he didn't cause the 15-18% interest rate at that time was sweeting his body.

This guy has brought up a very thought provoking valid solid point and if you're wise, you would see reason with him. Treasury Bills WILL MAKE YOU POOR.

As for me, I won't cancel any of my current tbills. But moving on, no more tbills of 675,000 Naira every two weeks. I will save my money in a dorm account. And in 5 years time when the US-Naira exchange rate is at say 600 to the dollar, those of you doing tbills, let me know if you are richer than me. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

And thanks to that guy who opened some eyes on this forum. You sir are the real MVP

Sir i think its either way...u may be right dollar may hit 600 naira in 5 yrs time , it may also come down (Naira may Appreciate ) No one know exactly what will happen Just keep an eye on the price of Crude( eg crude is below $67 today it keeps goin down for NOW ) ,Foreign reserve etc

That is why am on the same page with some of my Oga's here that diversification of ur funds / investments is important One can change some of ur naira to $ € £ safe in ur domi acct or transfer it and keep in foreign bank if its an option and play some with T bills and other money mkt also buy some authentic cheap landed properties ..So at the end of the day u still on the winning side
Also rem that dangote refinery once completed will save the Govt some forex All in all Diversification is imp ...My opinion ..Thanks

To all other pple in the Forum , if its 100 percent Tbills is what u re used to..pls follow ur heart and continue to invest ur money , much better than Time deposit and saving account with low rates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:48am On Nov 14, 2018
lancee:

Sir i think its either way...u may be right dollar may hit 600 naira in 5 yrs time , it may also come down (Naira may Appreciate ) No one know exactly what will happen Just keep an eye on the price of Crude( eg crude is below $67 today it keeps goin down for NOW ) ,Foreign reserve etc

That is why am on the same page with some of my Oga's here that diversification of ur funds / investments is important One can change some of ur naira to $ € £ safe in ur domi acct or transfer it and keep in foreign bank if its an option and play some with T bills and other money mkt also buy some authentic cheap landed properties ..So at the end of the day u still on the winning side
Also rem that dangote refinery once completed will save the Govt some forex All in all Diversification is imp ...My opinion ..Thanks

To all other pple in the Forum , if its 100 percent Tbills is what u re used to..pls follow ur heart and continue to invest ur money , much better than Time deposit and saving account with low rates

Chief....i can bet u that the naira can never appreciate against the dollar.....since u were born have u seen it happen. At least not in our life time.

A structured economy like the US against our corrupt, tribalistic and religiously bias country.

The CBN has been pumping in dollars into the system if not by now the dollar would have hit N500.

No balance of trade, we import 80% of the things we consume even toothpick. Our economy depends on the dollar so I can't see the naira gain against it.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:51am On Nov 14, 2018
zinaunreal:

My friend get lost. You lack fluid in your dry brain

Sorry sir....

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biakwa: 6:36am On Nov 14, 2018
freeman67:
Most times people's comparison comes only from where they see gain forgetting that irrespective of the fact that everybody interest is to make gain, sometime you loose too... Also gain and loss is dependent on when you are no longer holding the investment again ie when disposed off..

Why some people may see TB as the only form of investment there know, I believe majority here does it just to keep money above inflation. Also some do it to in place of something better than savings or fixed deposit. That said, we have heard from the man who exchanged Dollar and invested in NTB when the exchange rate was low and now could not get back the same sum if exchanged back to Dollar even when he had made a significant gain in Naira. Has anybody heard from those who bought Dollar in 2015 at the rate of N480- N500 believing it was going to N900-N1,000? What will be their fate if they need money now and want to convert?

Yes some bought land and it appreciated, have you thought about those that bought in some place based on particular news anticipating it was going to get high and people are still pricing below the cost price..?

In stock market back then some people bought GTB share and some bought intercontinental bank shares.. There was a time when intercontinental bank shareholders think they had something valuable but now the thinking is not same whereas the GTB shareholders are still enjoying their investment.
So there is always two ways to it. Its not always a one smooth way.

Even for the Bitcoin Advocates I believe there were some people who bought when it skyrocketed back then thinking it was always going higher before it came down.. Lots of those are sitting on losses now... If there are to convert it now.

For those wanting to invest in Diamond Bank should watch it ooo even though the CBN guarantees depositors funds.. I personally do not fancy doing business with mismanaged company.

Buying Treasury bills from Diamond bank has nothing to do with investments.. Diamond bank only stand as an intermediaries between you and the government.. Make sure you have your certificate and on a second confirmation try and ask which company whaerehouse your investment.. What I mean most Company that sells TB does not keep the funds with them,i think it's a CBN rule for security purposes... Example if you buy bills from Gtb ,the bills may automatically move to zenith as a custodian of the investment... They have only selected body for investment custody

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hias2012(m): 7:40am On Nov 14, 2018
Make money, enjoy while it lasts and desist from abuse and insults.

https://punchng.com/fg-to-auction-n115bn-bonds-november-21/

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 7:48am On Nov 14, 2018
Nnamz:
I think I get what this guy has been trying to say and I'm sure I'm not the only one he has made to seriously consider the benefits of tbills. At first I was very skeptical about him like "what is this ode coming here to say na" but now I'm even thankful to him.

A user here ^ ^ just shared his experience of "investing" 15mN, which later grew to 31mN. Funny thing is that even with the over 16mN interest, he still lost about 12,500 Dollars. Now keep in mind that he would have been better off if he had kept his 15mN in a dorm account. But he didn't cause the 15-18% interest rate at that time was sweeting his body.

This guy has brought up a very thought provoking valid solid point and if you're wise, you would see reason with him. Treasury Bills WILL MAKE YOU POOR.

As for me, I won't cancel any of my current tbills. But moving on, no more tbills of 675,000 Naira every two weeks. I will save my money in a dorm account. And in 5 years time when the US-Naira exchange rate is at say 600 to the dollar, those of you doing tbills, let me know if you are richer than me. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

And thanks to that guy who opened some eyes on this forum. You sir are the real MVP

so what happpens if the exchange rate does not get to #600 as you have anticipated and God will never allow us to get to that stage

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:37am On Nov 14, 2018
aremso:

so what happpens if the exchange rate does not get to #600 as you have anticipated and God will never allow us to get to that stage
really God ..the naira has been depreciating since 1960 and with population explosions ,mean more demand for imported good meaning naira lossing it value ...this pure economic notting concern god we just hope for a stable currency for 10 years aleast
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 9:59am On Nov 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
really God ..the naira has been depreciating since 1960 and with population explosions ,mean more demand for imported good meaning naira lossing it value ...this pure economic notting concern god we just hope for a stable currency for 10 years aleast

so naira would get to #600? the truth of the matter is, you may have secured yourself against inflation but as much as you will still be buying/paying for goods and services in Nigeria which has her #600 to a dollar then that dorm account you are talking about is meaningless to me

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 10:08am On Nov 14, 2018
aremso:

so naira would get to #600? the truth of the matter is, you may have secured yourself against inflation but as much as you will still be buying/paying for goods and services in Nigeria which has her #600 to a dollar then that dorm account you are talking about is meaningless to me

I thought I was the only on reading.. After securing yourself you'll still come back to buy for #600. Inflation caught you one way or the other.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 10:13am On Nov 14, 2018
the brains in this forum are just too much. God bless Seun for bringing up nairaland and this thread. I have gained a lot in this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:15am On Nov 14, 2018
Biakwa:

Buying Treasury bills from Diamond bank has nothing to do with investments.. Diamond bank only stand as an intermediaries between you and the government.. Make sure you have your certificate and on a second confirmation try and ask which company whaerehouse your investment.. What I mean most Company that sells TB does not keep the funds with them,i think it's a CBN rule for security purposes... Example if you buy bills from Gtb ,the bills may automatically move to zenith as a custodian of the investment... They have only selected body for investment custody

Sorry I was not talking about buying TB from Diamond Bank I only talked about those saying there do Dollar account fixed deposit. I am fully aware that there are custodian with which the TB funds are kept.. For every TB I have done, I have always paid custodian fee.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 11:13am On Nov 14, 2018
aremso:

He's better off those without one. Inflation affects everybody but in varying degrees.

If you hear that a bag of rice would sell for N50,000 beginning from tomorrow, would you say because Nigerians eat rice everyday, you won't buy some bags today @ current price of N12,000?

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 11:19am On Nov 14, 2018
Acidosis:

He's better off those without one. Inflation affects everybody but in varying degrees.

If you hear that a bag of rice would sell for N50,000 beginning from tomorrow, would you say because Nigerians eat rice everyday, you won't buy some bags today @ current price of N12,000?

Noted Boss, have gone beyond the rudimentary level I dont argue sir. Everybody has right of what to do with his/her money, what is important to me is for my money to keep working for 24/7-365days. Finito!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 11:59am On Nov 14, 2018
aremso:

it impossible for you to understand ..am under no obligation either
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 12:07pm On Nov 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
it impossible for you to understand ..am under no obligation either

Ok Sir, would understand one day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 1:22pm On Nov 14, 2018
zamirikpo:

Chief....i can bet u that the naira can never appreciate against the dollar.....since u were born have u seen it happen. At least not in our life time.

A structured economy like the US against our corrupt, tribalistic and religiously bias country.

The CBN has been pumping in dollars into the system if not by now the dollar would have hit N500.

No balance of trade, we import 80% of the things we consume even toothpick. Our economy depends on the dollar so I can't see the naira gain against it.

Well lets keep watching ..as Cbn is fighting hard to stabilize it @ 360 ish. After election maybe we shall know the next of Naira stability or either way

It is well
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2018
Just2endowed2:
the brains in this forum are just too much. God bless Seun for bringing up nairaland and this thread. I have gained a lot in this thread.

As in!!!! cheesy cheesy

I don learn Wella! Keep it up guys! smiley

But pls lets try to be civil even when disagreeing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2018
Chei!!!!

My head wan bust for here ooooooo!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yinka2011: 2:51pm On Nov 14, 2018
RESULTS FROM TODAYS PRIMARY MARKET AUCITON .....LINK IS HERE ...https://www.easykobo.com/News.aspx?id=20939

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2018
Look at the subscription for 182dys and 364 dys...Some will have to buy from sec mkt if they don't want to wait next 2wks

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mizwisdom(f): 3:10pm On Nov 14, 2018
yinka2011:
RESULTS FROM TODAYS PRIMARY MARKET AUCITON .....LINK IS HERE ...https://www.easykobo.com/News.aspx?id=20939

Does this mean secondary auction is next week?

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) ... (2243) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.