Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,993 members, 7,852,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:49 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (616) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4491959 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutedharmee: 8:56pm On Nov 14, 2018
Nnamz:

Primary market occurs every 2nd Wednesday. You wouldn't know the rate until the bidding is over. Whereas secondary market is everyday; just email your account officer and ask what days and rates are available. They could say that they have 265 days at 11%, or 45 days at 10%, just an example. Bottom line is, you wait till every second Wednesday to do primary market, while you can do secondary market at any time of the day. Cheers
Thanks so much Nnamz...really aprec8
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:58pm On Nov 14, 2018
ositadima1:

Mr Alikote is dat you?

By the way, someone made an interesting point earlier.

If inflation was indeed compounding in a few years naira would worth nothing. A 14% inflation that compounds negatively would require only 5 years to wipe initial principal, but, despite inflation being double digits for the past couple of years, naira is yet to hit the d floor. How is that so?
we are not discouraging any one from tb investment ..infact am am a big investors my self I quote rate meaning am above 50 m holding in nigeria govt debt market .what we are say is their ate some risk called inflation is their on the cbn website like wise currency devalution..for u to expirence this u must have been in this system for a decade to appreciate it...hence for new people always diversify your portfolio (dorm,tb,bond,land)low risk investment so any how u will be fine ...that just the point...cos even runing bussiness is not easy I have lost a truck work 10 m and product wort 6m in accidents

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:00pm On Nov 14, 2018
Depreciation
Depreciation of the currency happens when the country follows a flexible exchange rate. Flexible interest rate means that the value of the currency is determined by the demand and supply and the central bank doesn't intervene in it.

Devaluation
It happens in countries with fixed exchange rate. In a fixed exchange rate , central bank decides what should be the value of its currency compared to other countries. The Central bank intervenes by buying or selling government securities to keep its exchange rates fixed.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:04pm On Nov 14, 2018
ositadima1:

Mr Alikote is dat you?

By the way, someone made an interesting point earlier.

If inflation was indeed compounding in a few years naira would worth nothing. A 14% inflation that compounds negatively would require only 5 years to wipe initial principal, but, despite inflation being double digits for the past couple of years, naira is yet to hit the d floor. How is that so?
all I know is I bought tyre for 35 k and now 70 k ,truck for 4 m now 7m this are practical example I use to know how inflation affect me...i wire 500 euro monthly for school living expense b4 it was just around 100 k now I need 220 k monthly to send 500 euro...my income is in naira so devalution is a serious danger to my life style

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:12pm On Nov 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
all I know is I bought tyre for 35 k and now 70 k ,truck for 4 m now 7m this are practical example I use to know how inflation affect me...i wire 500 euro monthly for school living expense b4 it was just around 100 k now I need 220 k monthly to send 500 euro...my income is in naira so devalution is a serious danger to my life style

He go better nah, as Dangote refinery is coming on board it will cut down capital flight, bring in foreign exchange and as well serve as a push to other big investors to build more refineries.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:26pm On Nov 14, 2018
ositadima1:

He go better nah, as Dangote refinery is coming on board it will cut down capital flight, bring in foreign exchange and as well serve as a push to other big investors to build more refineries.
this our only hope if Nigeria state can cut out 40 percent forex demand via that then add sugar and flour in the backward integration plan and not create new unnecessary taste like imported wines and private jet as we did last time ,we hope the naira can go back to 250-300 this our only hope .with this our bond holding in naira will automatically increase against the dollar
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2018
a
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:40pm On Nov 14, 2018
this a on going station the cost of completing it has jump by 60 percent rod 12mm 2000 cement 2500 plant 1200 gainst 1100,1700 750...some people washing plates in europe will want to tell us what happing in Nigeria economy ....we lost money holding nigeria debt instrument from 2015 to 2017 we just hoping naira to go back to 250 to 280 to recover our investment small
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sapeleboy911(m): 9:44pm On Nov 14, 2018
Ego and pride is derailing this thread. This was meant to be an educative and awareness thread. We don't have to prove how wealthy we are in order to pass our messages.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 9:44pm On Nov 14, 2018
zamirikpo:

And I didn't even go to school.....ode

Am sure u finished with a 3rd class from the way u reason and write.

Olodo

I laughed in spanish! U are an empty barrel, you would envy to be where I am today you fish brain but I don't need to come down low to your level.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2018
Sapeleboy911:
Ego and pride is derailing this thread. This was meant to be an educative and awareness thread. We don't have to prove how wealthy we are in order to pass our messages.
some person washing plates in dublin are telling us what happing in Nigerian economy and insulting everyone there must be a back lash

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 9:50pm On Nov 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
people are taking about Harvard and sanford universities this one is taking about unilag not on 1000 best in the world ....am disappointed

Mr. Harvard congrat! Am thankful and grateful to God for what I have been able to achieve with my unilag certificates ooo. Congrats again Mr. Harvard.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2018
Sapeleboy911:
is to make some europe based dish washer brain reset and understand we talking from real experience point of view not some random uni lag outdated taught theory

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:57pm On Nov 14, 2018
aremso:

Mr. Harvard congrat! Am thankful and grateful to God for what I have been able to achieve with my unilag certificates ooo. Congrats again Mr. Harvard.
please if people are taking of world class universities pls dont bring unilag or any nigeria govt own school they dont wort bragging ...travel to europe and see school 300 years old with several noble adwards in economics and sciences.....nigeria school na to learn how to read ,write and cram then toss babes undecided

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sapeleboy911(m): 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
is to make some europe based dish washer brain reset and understand we talking from real experience point of view not some random uni lag outdated taught theory
You don't have to insult him in order for you to make your point. If he doesn't share the same views with you or find your posts informative others will. So no need for insults just share your views and move on.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 10:01pm On Nov 14, 2018
This place is fast escalating into a free for all, me sef dey look for person way I go fit beat, Sapeleboy911 maybe...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 10:05pm On Nov 14, 2018
Lol I thank God O at least I no steal or beg anyone for money. Laugh won tear my bele O! . E pain am. If you know you know. If you like download 800 truck pictures or whatever from Google wetin concern me. Ole oniro. King of ego and pride.. grin grin grin.. Let me throw another slogan "If you know you know" grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:06pm On Nov 14, 2018
Sapeleboy911:

You don't have to insult him in order for you to make your point. If he doesn't share the same views with you or find your posts informative others will. So no need for insults just share your views and move on.
they have been in the habit of ridiculing other peoples contribution

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2018
plates washer in Dublin forming economist wonders shall never end

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2018
Sapeleboy911:

Just ignore him. An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers. wink If na plate or wetin he call am I dey wash wey make me achieve what I have achieved and what I am still achieving, baba God please continue to dey bless me with more plate washing opportunities in Dublin O grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sapeleboy911(m): 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2018
ositadima1:
This place is fast escalating into a free for all, me sef dey look for person way I go fit beat, Sapeleboy911 maybe...
Lol na me your power reach abi? You no go beat our government wey no fit control our free fall of naira making it loose value on daily basis. Na me you wan beat? I go burst strong coke bottle for your head.I no be pastor pikin oo I be jaguda too!!! grin grin grin

On a serious note please let's not derail this thread please. Its been a long time comming.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:19pm On Nov 14, 2018
no more fighting

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 10:35pm On Nov 14, 2018
Sapeleboy911:

Lol na me your power reach abi? You no go beat our government wey no fit control our free fall of naira making it loose value on daily basis. Na me you wan beat? I go burst strong coke bottle for your head.I no be pastor pikin oo I be jaguda too!!! grin grin grin

On a serious note please let's not derail this thread please. Its been a long time comming.

If you can read previous posts compare to the recent ones you will see that we've already moved on and even someone recently asked a question and got satisfactory reply, until one king of ego and pride started again just to prove he's dangote not knowing other peoples status and their worth. Just watch after this, watch grin.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 10:47pm On Nov 14, 2018

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2018
Infinitisi:

Hmmm, God bless you with this. I just learned. kiss

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2018
A simple question by zamirikpo was what escalated into this full blown civil war o. Chai.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alepa(m): 11:08pm On Nov 14, 2018
dotcomnamename:

I
Let me emulate. "If you know you know" Lol grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 11:33pm On Nov 14, 2018
Plz my brothers let there be peace ..we re all here to learn ..Learning is a continuous process ..I beg u all again...Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bendo75(m): 12:39am On Nov 15, 2018
I see that some folks intentionally or unintentionally want to derail this sub. For the past few days, I have noticed name calling, insults and pride on this sub. We must not forget that our forum was started by Feelamong on Feb. 24, 2012 for the purpose of helping folks understand and invest in NTB. Today I am a beneficiary of Feelamong’s ingenuity. It will be nice if we keep this forum for NTB.

For those talking about inflation and saving in dorm accounts, you can start a sub on inflation and I know many folks here be willing to subscribe.

Few years back I flipped all my Usd to naira at $/492 and invested all in treasury bills at 18% interest rate for 364 days. Today it’s $/360. When I flipped $ to ₦, some of my friends flipped ₦ to $ predicting $/1000. They said naija was going to burn down but the good Lord did not allow our country to burn down. No body knows tomorrow. I could also have been at loss and still can if ₦ depreciates a lot in future.

My point is that this sub exists to encourage Nigerian young people to cultivate the culture of saving and for me NTB is a zero risk way to achieve that.

Please let’s keep this forum only for NTB investment and please stop all personal attacks. We are all here to learn from each other. Blessings folks.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 12:56am On Nov 15, 2018
[quote author=zamirikpo post=72923700][/quote] May not be the best time to bank with diamond o....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 1:04am On Nov 15, 2018
hias2012:

Good analogy. Good to diversify,and well done folks. But what none has hinted is at what "time" one converts his/her dollars to Naira in order to make profit. In 2016 when the exchange rate skyrocketed was partly because of scarcity of dollars. Banks put a cap on how much dollars you could spend off your dorm account whilst abroad. For the most part, withdrawing in Nigeria wasn't even as easy as the banks cried they didn't have dollars to issue out. I guess this was the case whether you wanted to buy off the counter or withdraw from your dorm account. Hence the black market rate headed far North. And this is the reason people matained warehouses and Ikoyi flats as their dorm account for easy access.When we analyse it's good we highlight the pros and cons. The reason majority invest in TB is because they are sure of their rates, interest and capital and the "time". If you stack your dorm account, which is good, but who says or knows when exchange rate would go again far up and juicy enough at which point you decide to sell? This is not known by anyone. We've probably had like the 2016 experience twice since 1999 or thereabout. Many people died while waiting.

That said the second issue is that everybody is not the same. Some are more risk adverse than others. Some would dare the risk with the hopes of higher returns, and we know that only a percentage of this actually make their money - make it big while others lose evrything or die due to hypertension. But those who like it small, and are careful investing in zero-risk ventures are free from the above hassles, they ALL make their money albeith surely and steadily.

The third is that it is not TB rate that determines inflation rate but the reverse. Hence the fluctuation. So those praying for higher TB rate should know. Higher inflation, higher TB rate and we actually don't pray for this. We pray intlation rates keep going down. So if you have money and you don't know the sure profitable business or venture to invest in, keep investing in TB. However, make sure you don't eat all the interest, make sure part of it is reinvested otherwise with rising inflation the actual worth of your money is reducing over time if you EAT all the interest.

So far all the analysis make a good read for me, and this forum has to be lively to educate and as well to thrill.

Fantastic analogy. I remember quite well in 2016, people couldn't withdraw from their dorm accounts..... Don't know about dollar fund sha, if investors could withdraw then? Irrespective of the challenges, currency diversification appears to be key.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:05am On Nov 15, 2018
bendo75:
I see that some folks intentionally or unintentionally want to derail this sub. For the past few days, I have noticed name calling, insults and pride on this sub. We must not forget that our forum was started by Feelamong on Feb. 24, 2012 for the purpose of helping folks understand and invest in NTB. Today I am a beneficiary of Feelamong’s ingenuity. It will be nice if we keep this forum for NTB.

For those talking about inflation and saving in dorm accounts, you can start a sub on inflation and I know many folks here be willing to subscribe.

Few years back I flipped all my Usd to naira at $/492 and invested all in treasury bills at 18% interest rate for 364 days. Today it’s $/360. When I flipped $ to ₦, some of my friends flipped ₦ to $ predicting $/1000. They said naija was going to burn down but the good Lord did not allow our country to burn down. No body knows tomorrow. I could also have been at loss and still can if ₦ depreciates a lot in future.

My point is that this sub exists to encourage Nigerian young people to cultivate the culture of saving and for me NTB is a zero risk way to achieve that.

Please let’s keep this forum only for NTB investment and please stop all personal attacks. We are all here to learn from each other. Blessings folks.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://walletinvestor.com/forex-forecast/eur-ngn-prediction&ved=2ahUKEwi_k_2_itXeAhULKlAKHbXBA24QFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3hUoiHJFK9mbXJ6mcBhAV4...euro is expected to hit 730 to naira by 2023 ...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Shalom428, Itsrm(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.