Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (671) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4465118 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by morewealth(m): 10:08pm On Jan 17, 2019
Grupo:

If the tenor is 91 days, then the interest you got is correct.
ok. thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kemshade: 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2019
dejiotus:

Unfortunately 200K is below the minimum amount allowed for secondary Treasury bills purchase.with Stanbic 200K should be okay for the primary market if I am not mistaken, but you need to drop your application latest by 1 pm on Tuesday preceding the auction date. If I were you, I will submit the application now towards the next Primary market date, to avoid story that application has closed again
Yes you can submit your application anytime.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 10:29pm On Jan 17, 2019
Creamz:

I need some clarifications on this T-bills if you can help. I bought some treasury bills for this 14/1/2019 and I opted for the 182 days duration. This been my first time, I am a bit confused. The rate I saw from the CBN is 11% but when I calculated the percentage I got from my bank when the money was collected it was 6.6% now my question is, is this how it works or the bank is just trying to reap me off?

Interest rate is usually per annum. Since you are doing 182 days, it means you are getting half the annual interest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 10:35pm On Jan 17, 2019
Creamz:

I did 182 days with Zenith Bank the interest I got was 6.6% do you think that is the correct interest for 182 days?

This one pass me o. 6.6% is too low for 182. There must be an error somewhere

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by murphyrichy(m): 10:40pm On Jan 17, 2019
Creamz:
okay. Thanks a lot
Are u serious, u were cheated badly bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Creamz(m): 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2019
murphyrichy:
Are u serious, u were cheated badly bro

I will be heading to the bank tomorrow for explanations
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Internetboy: 1:18am On Jan 18, 2019
Creamz:

Kindly quote amount you invested and the supposed upfront interest you got as well.

My mind is telling me you did not do your calculation properly.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 2:46am On Jan 18, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
notting yet did u complain
I din't,they corrected it themself..Initially,i was planning to burst dirty with my account officers tomorrow.....They will definitely correct it....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 5:07am On Jan 18, 2019
Internetboy:

Kindly quote amount you invested and the supposed upfront interest you got as well.

yea, he probably got 13.2%

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 5:45am On Jan 18, 2019
Creamz:

How did you calculate it? Maybe we can help you from there. I strongly believe you are the one making the mistake.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 6:00am On Jan 18, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 18, 2019
eddyakinrinde:

That's serious o. I hope I won't av such experience sha. Am just trying them for the first time anyway. I only subscribed to a 37day investment in Dec. It going to mature by 24th of this month. Till then I will know my next move.
It is also a sort of cheating since they are not paying the rate upfront. Except one has another means of livelihood and don't really depend on the interest before it matures.
Thanks @ barrytone
I have been using the i-invest app for my TB because I am abroad and not easy to run the normal TB from here.
Yes the I-invest don't pay upfront interest but rather the interest is re-invested together with your principal to give a higher interest after the tenor matures.
For example you invest 1m for 364days at 14%, your interest should be around 140 k +- , but you realise that you interest will be around 160k, meaning your interest was compounded (your rate becomes about 16%).
It is a good app to invest in when you don't need the interest to use immediately.
Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eddyakinrinde(m): 8:11am On Jan 18, 2019
madakiagwom:

I have been using the i-invest app for my TB because I am abroad and not easy to run the normal TB from here.
Yes the I-invest don't pay upfront interest but rather the interest is re-invested together with your principal to give a higher interest after the tenor matures.
For example you invest 1m for 364days at 14%, your interest should be around 140 k +- , but you realise that you interest will be around 160k, meaning your interest was compounded (your rate becomes about 16%).
It is a good app to invest in when you don't need the interest to use immediately.
Thanks

Thanks, from all indications it seems a good app, plus you see as your money grows daily and you see their various rates on daily basis.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 8:50am On Jan 18, 2019
Who own this i-invest app?

madakiagwom:

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fyabdul: 9:09am On Jan 18, 2019
Please am at the bank. I want to invest with my interest with amount of 2m. Their rate will show by 10a.m.
But I need someone to use 14% for me. What will I get.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 9:28am On Jan 18, 2019
Fyabdul:
Please am at the bank. I want to invest with my interest with amount of 2m. Their rate will show by 10a.m.
But I need someone to use 14% for me. What will I get.

For one year the interest is 280K. But you will need to divide 280K by 365 days and multiply by the number of days you get at the bank (ie tenor) to get your actual interest.
Good luck at the bank

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:53am On Jan 18, 2019
Gtb crap service the idiot account officer can't calculate 14.5 percent of 10 m for 364 day is suppose to be 1,450,000 and discounted rate 8,550,000 the idiot debited 9,200,000 instead how can they make this type of mistake then it mean they can also mistakly pay interest at 25 percent .....somebody needs to be sacked

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 9:56am On Jan 18, 2019
madakiagwom:

Thanks
You are very correct. I have been using the app for about a year now.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fyabdul: 10:03am On Jan 18, 2019
Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fyabdul: 10:05am On Jan 18, 2019
Thank you
dejiotus:

For one year the interest is 280K. But you will need to divide 280K by 365 days and multiply by the number of days you get at the bank (ie tenor) to get your actual interest.
Good luck at the bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eddyakinrinde(m): 10:18am On Jan 18, 2019
Desanta:

You are very correct. I have been using the app for about a year now.
OK like what happens at maturity on the I -invest app, will your investment and the interest earned move from the 'portfolio balance' to the wallet balance?.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 10:22am On Jan 18, 2019
dejiotus:

Good luck at the bank

Please lets not be quoting 365 days as a tenor. It is 364 days.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:31am On Jan 18, 2019
Everybody should learn the calculation of rate....if gtb can be such silly top teir Nigeria bank not unity or Polaris then this a wake up call .....learn to calculate your rate and what you would expect ....they almost rip me off 500 k in expected interest and my account officer was even scolding me for raising unfounded alarm...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Creamz(m): 10:54am On Jan 18, 2019
Internetboy:

I invested 4 million Naira for 182 days and I got N269,260
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Verapax2001: 11:07am On Jan 18, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 11:07am On Jan 18, 2019
Creamz:
I invested 4 million Naira for 182 days and I got N269,260

On what I interest rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Creamz(m): 11:15am On Jan 18, 2019
carbon1224:

On what I interest rate

It's the interest rate I was told is 13.1 for the year
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:42am On Jan 18, 2019
Creamz:

It's the interest rate I was told is 13.1 for the year
it's correct bro.

That 13.1% is for 364 days but you invested for 182 days which is half of 364 days so, your interest would be divided by 2.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Creamz(m): 11:54am On Jan 18, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
it's correct bro.

That 13.1% is for 364 days but you invested for 182 days which is half of 364 days so, your interest would be divided by 2.

Thanks bro. I really appreciate you explanations.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 11:54am On Jan 18, 2019
eddyakinrinde:

OK like what happens at maturity on the I -invest app, will your investment and the interest earned move from the 'portfolio balance' to the wallet balance?.

Yes it does.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 18, 2019
For the new guys that are having calculations issues, if you had read few pages you would have gotten a spreadsheet. Just save that spreadsheet on your phone. It calculate everything you need about TBills. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MysTeerioz(f): 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2019
Hi guys,
I'm new to this and have read up and inquired as much as possible and though I've a lot of questions and many unclear areas the most important question I've have is:

Is it advisable to invest in T-bills now this close to another election (seeing as the inflation rate is almost certainly going to rise) or do I wait until after when it stabilised?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.