Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (733) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4459567 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eddyakinrinde(m): 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
GonFreecss1:

Some people here discouraged others from using mobile apps. Lol! Maybe that is why...

Yes o! People here really criticized the I invest app to a point in time that I was so scared I av lost my investment using the app. People need to change that orientation, so many way of doing things have changed. Several investment or asset management companies give their customers online access to subscribe and monitor their investments, be it mutual funds or tbills. It just make things easier and of a note is that they also responds to issues faster both online and on the apps.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 4:35pm On Mar 22, 2019
How to bank hedge against sudden rate drop ....like from 15 to 10....they spread their asset like bond and tb and some dollar reserve any way it go u are covered to some degree ...bond was going for 15.6 ...earleir this year ...u take a weighted average of all your holding example if bond is 15.6 and treasury bill is 12.3 ...u add 15.6+12.3/2....= 13.9 ...then the interests u purchase some cheap dollars and keep in dorm or under your pillow ....

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 4:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
eddyakinrinde:

Yes o! People here really criticized the I invest app to a point in time that I was so scared I av lost my investment using the app. People need to change that orientation, so many way of doing things have changed. Several investment or asset management companies give their customers online access to subscribe and monitor their investments, be it mutual funds or tbills. It just make things easier and of a note is that they also responds to issues faster both online and on the apps.

Exactly! Technology is the name of the game.

Many people here discourage a lot of things. I remember when I was advising people to hedge with Eurobond fund, lol! They came after me like I was saying something evil. The I-invest app guys were unfairly attacked and discredited.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
How to bank hedge against sudden rate drop ....like from 15 to 10....they spread their asset like bond and tb and some dollar reserve any way it go u are covered to some degree ...bond was going for 15.6 ...earleir this year ...u take a weighted average of all your holding example if bond is 15.6 and treasury bill is 12.3 ...u add 15.6+12.3/2....= 13.9 ...then the interests u purchase some cheap dollars and keep in dorm or under your pillow ....

Or just do Eurobond funds and earn interest on your dollars.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rijo02: 5:03pm On Mar 22, 2019
HeliosHay:

Out of curiosity, do you intend on repatriating your profits from TB to the USA or leaving it in Nigeria?

I also want to start investing in TB (live in london), but I'm scared of the exchange rate going against me and erasing any gains I make in TB when I want to repatriate my profits back to UK.

It's not like people buy currency futures to lock in their exchange rate.

My opinion! Trading in Nigeria is far better than doing so in the US or UK. Although there are risks involved when it comes to the exchange rate, I do not think that the Naira will fall the same way it did 2016 - 2017. Infact, the CBN should have dropped the dollar below 360 as the oil price which was below $30/bbl is in the near $70/bbl. Even though there are lots of other factors that will determine the exchange rate, at the moment, Nigeria is not lacking in foreign investments. Nevertheless, I do not have absolute trust in the Nigerian government as anything can happen. However, the gains for now (in the nearest 1 year) outweighs the loss..............I will advise you zero your mind and invest in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 5:36pm On Mar 22, 2019
Rijo02:

My opinion! Trading in Nigeria is far better than doing so in the US or UK. Although there are risks involved when it comes to the exchange rate, I do not think that the Naira will fall the same way it did 2016 - 2017. Infact, the CBN should have dropped the dollar below 360 as the oil price which was below $30/bbl is in the near $70/bbl. Even though there are lots of other factors that will determine the exchange rate, at the moment, Nigeria is not lacking in foreign investments. Nevertheless, I do not have absolute trust in the Nigerian government as anything can happen. However, the gains for now (in the nearest 1 year) outweighs the loss..............I will advise you zero your mind and invest in Nigeria.

I think my approach will be to invest only money I don't intend to repatriate. That way I won't have to worry about any exchange rate exposure.

That being said, you do make a valid point. Oil price has recovered somewhat and CBN should have enough foreign reserve to defend the naira. Be that as it may, with Buhari in charge...anything, and i mean ANYTHING can happen

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
HeliosHay:

Out of curiosity, do you intend on repatriating your profits from TB to the USA or leaving it in Nigeria?

I also want to start investing in TB (live in london), but I'm scared of the exchange rate going against me and erasing any gains I make in TB when I want to repatriate my profits back to UK.

It's not like people buy currency futures to lock in their exchange rate.

As many people aspire to travel abroad, I am dying to come back home. For someone who was born and raised in Nigeria, there is no place like home. My goal is to make sure my family is well established here, children finish their college education and become independent, then my wife and I will be relocating back to motherland. I have no plans to bring my profits from Nigeria to the U.S, in fact I plan to sell my house in America once I finish paying off the mortgage, put some cash away for my children and relocate the remaining cash to Nigeria.

My people, I am only in America because of the many great things we enjoy here which are lacking in Nigeria, but with enough cash flow and smart investment, life is good in Nigeria. Look at the likes of Dangote, E-Money, Ayiri, Chief Okeowo, and many more; their children may be living abroad for a better education, but once they're done schooling, they're encouraged to return home and manage their parents' businesses...it may not be true for all, but that's what most of them do. Yes, they have real estate outside Nigeria and offshore accounts, but these Nigerian billionaires will never abandon Nigeria and move their profits elsewhere ..as opportunists, they understand the system, and ultimately know how to use it to their own advantage.

To answer your question, I won't relocate my TB profits to a foreign country. As a business owner, my income varies, so I have drawn out a plan to ensure that at least N1m gets transferred to my Nigerian account every month, upon taking care of my mortgage and other monthly expenses. That's how I structure my life here....someone else may beg to differ, and I respect that!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Awesomemama: 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
Does anyone have today's rate please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammiejr(m): 5:58pm On Mar 22, 2019
Can someone also talk about mutual funds.
Isn't it an investment option also?
Why Treasury bills only?

Is it that Tbills are much safer and give more profits compared to Mutual funds?

I'd appreciate the forums input on this topic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 6:02pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

As many people aspire to travel abroad, I am dying to come back home. For someone who was born and raised in Nigeria, there is no place like home. My goal is to make sure my family is well established here, children finish their college education and become independent, then my wife and I will be relocating back to motherland. I have no plans to bring my profits from Nigeria to the U.S, in fact I plan to sell my house in America once I finish paying off the mortgage, put some cash away for my children and relocate the remaining cash to Nigeria.

My people, I am only in America because of the many great things we enjoy here which are lacking in Nigeria, but with enough cash flow and smart investment, life is good in Nigeria. Look at the likes of Dangote, E-Money, Ayiri, Chief Okeowo, and many more; their children may be living abroad for a better education, but once they're done schooling, they're encouraged to return home and manage their parents' businesses...it may not be true for all, but that's what most of them do. Yes, they have real estate outside Nigeria and offshore accounts, but these Nigerian billionaires will never abandon Nigeria and move their profits elsewhere ..as opportunists, they understand the system, and ultimately know how to use it to their own advantage.

To answer your question, I won't relocate my TB profits to a foreign country. As a business owner, my income varies, so I have drawn out a plan to ensure that at least N1m gets transferred to my Nigerian account every month, upon taking care of my mortgage and other monthly expenses. That's how I structure my life here....someone else may beg to differ, and I respect that!

That's a nice plan sir! Actually, I plan to do the same..though I'm not married yet.

I agree that with enough cash flow and smart investments, life in Nigeria is good. Considering how safe TB investments are and the current rates offered, it's incredible.

Do you plan to start a business in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jabolo(m): 6:07pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

Same here. Anyone looking to invest in Nigeria to support a lifestyle abroad is on a fool's errand.

- Nigerians send more than $22billion home each year.
- An international bank lending to an infrastructure project in Nigeria is looking at Libor + 600bps so 8% return minimum
- It also requires the currency to be hedged and guaranteed convertibility when it comes to repatriation
- It wants political risk insurance coverage and international arbitration.
- Again, Nigerians send more than $22billion home each year

You can see there is the screeching need for a Naira denominated Diaspora infrastructure bond (but FGN backed) that offers just north of T-Bill rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 6:14pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

U said it All Buddy !

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
HeliosHay:

That's a nice plan sir! Actually, I plan to do the same..though I'm not married yet.

I agree that with enough cash flow and smart investments, life in Nigeria is good. Considering how safe TB investments are and the current rates offered, it's incredible.

Do you plan to start a business in Nigeria?

Thank you for your kind words. I'm 36 yrs old, my goal is to retire in the next 15-20 yrs. Since Lagos is getting too congested for my liking, I plan to build a family house and a rental property in Asaba, Delta State near the airport and also build my village edifice about 25 mins. drive from Asaba airport. Village edifice because that's where I plan to retire, and possibly engage in a mechanized agribusiness. By having both village and city homes respectively, my family may decide to stay in Asaba, but I will be staying in my village home for the most parts...I am already sounding like an old man haha. But it's all planned out, God is in control.

Back to your question: I am already investing heavily in Tbill, with the interests earned in the next 10-15 years, I don't need to consider further business ventures in Nigeria, except to have some rental properties and an agribusiness in my village. My wife suggests that I join politics when we return home, but time will tell.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 6:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

Thank you for your kind words. I'm 36 yrs old, my goal is to retire in the next 15-20 yrs. Since Lagos is getting too congested for my liking, I plan to build a family house and a rental property in Asaba, Delta State near the airport and also build my village edifice about 25 mins. drive from Asaba airport. Village edifice because that's where I plan to retire, and possibly engage in a mechanized agribusiness. By having both village and city homes respectively, my family may decide to stay in Asaba, but I will be staying in my village home for the most parts...I am already sounding like an old man haha. But it's all planned out, God is in control.

Back to your question: I am already investing heavily in Tbill, with the interests earned in the next 10-15 years, I don't need to consider further business ventures in Nigeria, except to have some rental properties and an agribusiness in my village. My wife suggests that I join politics when we return home, but time will tell.

Hahaha it's so strange how we have similar plans. From your writeups, you sounded 50+...its quite impressive how much you've already achieved at 36! I'm also thinking of investing in small unit rental properties (commercial, not residential) and potentially establishing a car park business. You're right. Lagos is getting very crowded (and expensive if i might add)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

this guy u copy my manual..my retirement is 22 years from now ,Lagos getting inhabitable I will also move to my home town I project a 30 m annually retirement in come ,we are age mate sha I intend to build school at my legacy but na private

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 22, 2019
HeliosHay:

Hahaha it's so strange how we have similar plans. From your writeups, you sounded 50+...its quite impressive how much you've already achieved at 36! I'm also thinking of investing in small unit rental properties (commercial, not residential) and potentially establishing a car park business. You're right. Lagos is getting very crowded (and expensive if i might add)

All the best. May God help us to achieve our end goals.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 22, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
this guy u copy my manual..my retirement is 22 years from now ,Lagos getting inhabitable I will also move to my home town I project a 30 m annually retirement in come ,we are age mate sha I intend to build school at my legacy but na private

My brother, I don't mind retiring tomorrow if I win a $10m lottery. All the best in your endeavors, with life and sound health we shall get there.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 7:15pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yes rate for MMM?

Awesomemama:
Does anyone have today's rate please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:24pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

My brother, I don't mind retiring tomorrow if I win a $10m lottery. All the best in your endeavors, with life and sound health we shall get there.
me too notting bets money working for u...alert from tb ,bond then rent go cap am then pencom go still drop
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Company A from country A come to Nigeria to set up a manufacturing company in agabara but require dollar to import raw materials and the cbn gives company A at 305 ....then company A parent company located in country A set up a money market investment firm AA the wired 10 million dollars to buy treasury bills at 14.5 then it converted at 355 at maturity AA has 4 bn naira in it NIgeria account ....the Company AA wires the nair a to company A it sister that manufacture in Nigeria the Company A write to cbn ot requires 4 bn at 305 to import machinery from country A cbn collect the naira 4 bn and give company A 13 million dollars wired to country AA parent company ....profit 3 million dollars in 1 year ......hmm cbn examiner.....dash him 100 k dollar he perfect the papers.....this what sunusi lamido was complaining about u can become a billionaire over night in Nigeria with just phone call...

Great insight, quite enlightening!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

My brother, I do not know you. But u have sense like your father. I wonder why people always talk about foreign exchange this and that. I live in America too, my investment there is my house, I do not keep money in that country because of their excess scrutiny. my money comes to naija because that is where am gonna retire to.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Company A from country A come to Nigeria to set up a manufacturing company in agabara but require dollar to import raw materials and the cbn gives company A at 305 ....then company A parent company located in country A set up a money market investment firm AA the wired 10 million dollars to buy treasury bills at 14.5 then it converted at 355 at maturity AA has 4 bn naira in it NIgeria account..the Company AA wires the nair a to company A it sister that manufacture in Nigeria the Company A write to cbn ot requires 4 bn at 305 to import machinery from country A cbn collect the naira 4 bn and give company A 13 million dollars wired to country AA parent company..profit 3 million dollars in 1 year..hmm cbn examiner..dash him 100 k dollar he perfect the papers..this what sunusi lamido was complaining about u can become a billionaire over night in Nigeria with just phone call...
exactly y china, india, lebanon companies rush down here. + low qlty goods sell here
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:45pm On Mar 22, 2019
GonFreecss1:

Exactly! Technology is the name of the game.

Many people here discourage a lot of things. I remember when I was advising people to hedge with Eurobond fund, lol! They came after me like I was saying something evil. The I-invest app guys were unfairly attacked and discredited.
does i-invest app give upfont interest?

is that app immune to hackers?

is your tablet/smartphone immune to hackers/theft?

how can you be encouraging people to put their life savins and gratuity in the hands of some young programmers who are probably underpaid and liable to peer-pressure?

or have you not seen the movie JURASSIC PARK?

IF THAT APP IS HACKED tomorrow, will that tiny bank pay evryone their money back?

perhaps you think it is everyone that is doing N100k tbills.

Please do not promote that app AT ALL!!!

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:51pm On Mar 22, 2019
Bluecollarguy:

Hmmm.....best forum ever. But for those of us following behind , how much capital do u have now and what level of income do u wish to have before retiring.

It may seem too personal a question,but pls indulge us/me for mentorship purpose.

Some of us need to copy and paste or spy small.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:58pm On Mar 22, 2019
sammiejr:
Can someone also talk about mutual funds.
Isn't it an investment option also?
Why Treasury bills only?

Is it that Tbills are much safer and give more profits compared to Mutual funds?

I'd appreciate the forums input on this topic.
discuss that at the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/1

i do both. But i prefer tbills because of upfront interest payment and assured rates.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:14am On Mar 23, 2019
RealityShot:
does i-invest app give upfont interest?

is that app immune to hackers?

is your tablet/smartphone immune to hackers/theft?

how can you be encouraging people to put their life savins and gratuity in the hands of some young programmers who are probably underpaid and liable to peer-pressure?

or have you not seen the movie JURASSIC PARK?

IF THAT APP IS HACKED tomorrow, will that tiny bank pay evryone their money back?

perhaps you think it is everyone that is doing N100k tbills.

Please do not promote that app AT ALL!!!
The bank will surely deny you when there is problem like someone stated here that he sends money to the app but it didn't show on his I-Invest account. The bank told him they can't access I-Invest account that he should go and complain to I-Invest.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:40am On Mar 23, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
The bank will surely deny you when there is problem like someone stated here that he sends money to the app but it didn't show on his I-Invest account. The bank told him they can't access I-Invest account that he should go and complain to I-Invest.
LOL.. it has started already.

please help me tell those that feel it is an option.

BTW...

THIS FG BOND is a pootang O! 12.5%?
https://www.nairaland.com/5094031/federal-government-auction-n100-billion
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 23, 2019
OgogoroFreak:

My personal experience, I invest failed to care even with my money in their kitty. Las las I wasn't paid interest for the period the money was with them.
My bank, FBN confirmed money left my account to destination. I invest said they can't see my money. Sterling Bank said they are only bankers, it's between 2 customers so I go sort it out with I invest. I stay in Uyo, no I invest office. I then threatened my bank who then lodged a complaint with cbn and the threat made I invest to call me within 2 days and claim they have seen my money in their coffers. All this took away over 3 weeks from me and even when they claim interest will be paid for the period, they never did and I was contented with my capital. That was my personal frustrating experience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:03am On Mar 23, 2019
Barrytone:

My personal experience, I invest failed to care even with my money in their kitty. Las las I wasn't paid interest for the period the money was with them.
My bank, FBN confirmed money left my account to destination. I invest said they can't see my money. Sterling Bank said they are only bankers, it's between 2 customers so I go sort it out with I invest. I stay in Uyo, no I invest office. I then threatened my bank who then lodged a complaint with cbn and the threat made I invest to call me within 2 days and claim they have seen my money in their coffers. All this took away over 3 weeks from me and even when they claim interest will be paid for the period, they never did and I was contented with my capital. That was my personal frustrating experience.
thank you Sir.
& sorry for your pains.

NOW those who have EYES let them read O!

I-invest App is NOT owned by STERLIN BANK

DO NOT COME HERE TO CRY AT THE END OF THE YEAR WHEN THEY DON'T RETURN YOUR MONEY O!

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammiejr(m): 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2019
RealityShot:
discuss that at the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/1

i do both. But i prefer tbills because of upfront interest payment and assured rates.

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NIGHTLIFE100: 12:36pm On Mar 23, 2019
Barrytone:

Contented with your capital got me lol.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by davit: 1:57pm On Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for sharing this. Such an eye opener!
Barrytone:

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: ositadima1(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.