Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (779) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4453576 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Controlv: 6:37pm On May 20, 2019
mokrak:
Please everyone be watchful of your banks ooo especially first bank,they have started playing hanky panky.my treasury bills was matured and a standing order to pay back the interest and principal in my account was ignored and re-invested.
Now they are telling me they will discount if I want to collect my principal and interest back because it has started already.
A fault of theirs ooo

I thought they were supposed to pay interest upfront
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 7:26pm On May 20, 2019
Controlv:

I thought they were supposed to pay interest upfront

I decided to collect my interest and principal after 360days

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:43pm On May 20, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:44pm On May 20, 2019
mokrak:
Please everyone be watchful of your banks ooo especially first bank,they have started playing hanky panky.my treasury bills was matured and a standing order to pay back the interest and principal in my account was ignored and re-invested.
Now they are telling me they will discount if I want to collect my principal and interest back because it has started already.
A fault of theirs ooo

Next time, take a picture of your form or collect your investment letter to confirm the terms.

Also, why are you afraid of discounting? I believe you meant that your initial investment had matured but was rolled over inappropriately. So if you discount it, the rolled over principal and interest will be affected not your initial principal and interest, no? If your initial investment will not be affected, why is that a problem?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 8:08pm On May 20, 2019
olujaidi:

Next time, take a picture of your form or collect your investment letter to confirm the terms.

Also, why are you afraid of discounting? I believe you meant that your initial investment had matured but was rolled over inappropriately. So if you discount it, the rolled over principal and interest will be affected not your initial principal and interest, no? If your initial investment will not be affected, why is that a problem?

I went with my copy of my investment letter showing the date of maturity and amount.
On the issue of discounting,the amount the lady presented to me after discounting was lower than my interest and principal put together.i put 6million to collect 6.690m at a rate 11%. Now she is telling me after discounting I will get 6.48m

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 1:45am On May 21, 2019
mokrak:
I went with my copy of my investment letter showing the date
of maturity and amount.
On the issue of discounting,the amount the lady presented to
me after discounting was lower than my interest and principal
put together.i put 6million to collect 6.690m at a rate 11%. Now
she is telling me after discounting I will get 6.48m
This is terrible!

Why don't you contact First Contact and report the issue?
Also involve the manager of the branch and clearly state that you did not instruct the rollover.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by missjekyll: 1:46am On May 21, 2019
Kayromeo123:
Please, I really need to invest in this, can I get a person to put me through? the person can reach me through my contact number, thou have registered but I don't know how to go about it thanks. 08036816164. ASAP.
could you read the 1st ten pages of this thread,please? People make up to 20 pounds /hr ,can you pay that to be put through?

if your answer is no,please study the thread, Thank you

P.S: Pocahontas,somebody extends an olive branch after an argument and you reject it?

Not cool at all.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 4:27am On May 21, 2019
RealityShot:

This is terrible!

Why don't you contact First Contact and report the issue?
Also involve the manager of the branch and clearly state that you did not instruct the rollover.

Will involve the manager of the branch when I go there today.tried calling first contact,rang for like 8 minutes then it dropped
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 5:12am On May 21, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 12:23pm On May 21, 2019
I have resolved it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 2:05pm On May 21, 2019
mokrak:
I have resolved it

How was it resolved?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gaeul(f): 4:45pm On May 21, 2019
Did TB with First Bank Secondary market yesterday. Just got a message that it was cancelled that I gave the mandate for it to be cancelled.

I didn't give any kind of mandate. The money has been refunded. I didn't know they refund secondary market cash. Just confused and pissed...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 5:10pm On May 21, 2019
Went to the bank and asked to see the manager
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:37pm On May 21, 2019
gaeul:
Did TB with First Bank Secondary market yesterday. Just got a message that it was cancelled that I gave the mandate for it to be cancelled.

I didn't give any kind of mandate. The money has been refunded. I didn't know they refund secondary market cash. Just confused and pissed...
they do cancel it at their will.

Just go back and ask why, then tell them to do it as you requested before.
They will do it.

I think they do that in order to make the fubds available to them for a period.

Don't give them gap. Go tomorrow
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:39pm On May 21, 2019
mokrak:
Went to the bank and asked to see the manager
can you kindly tell us more about what happened after the asked to see the manager? Thank you

That line seems to always open doors at banks... Lol...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 4:42am On May 22, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gaeul(f): 11:05am On May 22, 2019
Thanks a lot...
RealityShot:
they do cancel it at their will.

Just go back and ask why, then tell them to do it as you requested before.
They will do it.

I think they do that in order to make the fubds available to them for a period.

Don't give them gap. Go tomorrow
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 3:04pm On May 22, 2019
Saw the manager,called the affected staff,told them to refund my money and the affected staff will pay the difference from her salary

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:04pm On May 22, 2019
mokrak:
Saw the manager,called the affected staff,told them to refund my money and the affected staff will pay the difference from her salary

I had the same issues with firstbank, they rolled over my funds when I was very sure I chose termination at maturity. It was not funny o at first when I got the alert, I though I got bleeped, it took me some time to realize it was upfront I was seeing.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by faoogoke(m): 5:49pm On May 22, 2019
MPC orders CBN to restrict banks’ access to govt securities, retains MPR at 13.5%

May 22, 2019

CBN predicts 12 percent inflation, to keep current MPR

By Ripples Nigeria

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to initiate policies and regulations to restrict access of banks to government securities including bonds and treasury bills.

This formed part of the resolution of the meeting of the MPC in Abuja on Tuesday.

The governor of the apex bank, Godwin Emefiele, who spoke after the meeting, said the move was taken to redirect banks’ lending focus to the private sector, noting that this would spur the much needed growth in the economy.

He added that the mechanism would limit the access of Debt Money Banks (DMBs) to government securities.

He said: “In view of the abundant opportunities available to banks for unfettered access to government securities, which tends to crowd out private sector lending, the Committee called on the Bank to provide a mechanism for limiting DMBs access to government securities so as to redirect banks’ lending focus to the private sector, noting that this would spur the much needed growth in the economy. It called on the government to use all machinery at its disposal to increase tax revenue to enable the government fund its budget adequately.

“It is important and expedient that the MPC gives this directive to the management of the Central Bank because this country badly needs growth. For us to achieve growth, those whose primary responsibilities it is to provide credit, who act as intermediaries in providing credit and are accorded as the catalysts to the economy, must be seen to perform that responsibility.

He noted that the CBN was displeased with the DMBs directing liquidity to other sectors of the economy rather than the private sector.

“This is what the MPC frowns at and, therefore, giving the management of Central Bank the power to limit the DMBs’ propensity or their appetite for just going for government securities rather than directing credit to private sector of the economy.

“The truth is that according to our own regulations, there is a particular minimum percentage of treasury bills or government securities that the bank must invest in order to remain liquid. But again, we have observed – and unfortunately too and increasingly so – that the banks, rather than focusing on granting credit to the private sector, they tend to direct their focus to mainly in buying government securities.”

He noted that the MPC also directed the CBN think about administrative, legal and regulatory framework to be put in place to ensure that some of the credit risks that were associated with granting loans to the private sector that ultimately result in Non-Performing Loans (NPLs) be mitigated.

By this, he said, the probability that NPLs would rise would be moderated.

The MPC agreed to develop a proposal for a comprehensive administrative legal and regulatory framework to speed up the recovery of delinquent loan facilities of the banking system.

Emefiele stated that the MPC resolved to retain the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 13.50 per cent; retain the asymmetric corridor of +200/-500 basis points around the MPR; retain the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) at 22.5 per cent; and retain the Liquidity Ratio at 30 per cent.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 1:06am On May 23, 2019
faoogoke:

MPC orders CBN to restrict banks’ access to govt securities, retains MPR at 13.5%

May 22, 2019

CBN predicts 12 percent inflation, to keep current MPR

By Ripples Nigeria

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to initiate policies and regulations to restrict access of banks to government securities including bonds and treasury bills.

This formed part of the resolution of the meeting of the MPC in Abuja on Tuesday.

The governor of the apex bank, Godwin Emefiele, who spoke after the meeting, said the move was taken to redirect banks’ lending focus to the private sector, noting that this would spur the much needed growth in the economy.

He added that the mechanism would limit the access of Debt Money Banks (DMBs) to government securities.

He said: “In view of the abundant opportunities available to banks for unfettered access to government securities, which tends to crowd out private sector lending, the Committee called on the Bank to provide a mechanism for limiting DMBs access to government securities so as to redirect banks’ lending focus to the private sector, noting that this would spur the much needed growth in the economy. It called on the government to use all machinery at its disposal to increase tax revenue to enable the government fund its budget adequately.

“It is important and expedient that the MPC gives this directive to the management of the Central Bank because this country badly needs growth. For us to achieve growth, those whose primary responsibilities it is to provide credit, who act as intermediaries in providing credit and are accorded as the catalysts to the economy, must be seen to perform that responsibility.

He noted that the CBN was displeased with the DMBs directing liquidity to other sectors of the economy rather than the private sector.

“This is what the MPC frowns at and, therefore, giving the management of Central Bank the power to limit the DMBs’ propensity or their appetite for just going for government securities rather than directing credit to private sector of the economy.

“The truth is that according to our own regulations, there is a particular minimum percentage of treasury bills or government securities that the bank must invest in order to remain liquid. But again, we have observed – and unfortunately too and increasingly so – that the banks, rather than focusing on granting credit to the private sector, they tend to direct their focus to mainly in buying government securities.”

He noted that the MPC also directed the CBN think about administrative, legal and regulatory framework to be put in place to ensure that some of the credit risks that were associated with granting loans to the private sector that ultimately result in Non-Performing Loans (NPLs) be mitigated.

By this, he said, the probability that NPLs would rise would be moderated.

The MPC agreed to develop a proposal for a comprehensive administrative legal and regulatory framework to speed up the recovery of delinquent loan facilities of the banking system.

Emefiele stated that the MPC resolved to retain the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 13.50 per cent; retain the asymmetric corridor of +200/-500 basis points around the MPR; retain the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) at 22.5 per cent; and retain the Liquidity Ratio at 30 per cent.

This calls for an in-depth analysis of the possible implications of this resolutions whenever it comes into play.

Would this reduce the amount individuals are allowed to invest?

Can individuals with the required 50m minimum buy directly from cbn .? with this restriction on banks.

Generally what does this mean for an average TB investor.

@realityshot @awesomej @ahiboilandgas @others
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Andyoa(m): 7:25am On May 23, 2019
Definitely will reduce the rate on treasury bills.
zamirikpo:

This calls for an in-depth analysis of the possible implications of this resolutions whenever it comes into play.

Can individuals with the required 50m minimum buy directly from cbn .? with this restriction on banks.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 7:32am On May 23, 2019
Issuer:Dangote Cement PLC

Tenor:93-days, 178-days, 269-days

Target Size:Up to N50billion

Discount Rate (%):12.0000, 12.3000, 12.0000

Implied Yield (%): 12.3785, 13.0849, 13.1642

Offer Open Date:Wednesday, 22 May 2019

Offer Close Date:Friday, 24 May 2019

Allotment Date:Friday, 24 May 2019

Settlement Date:Monday, 27 May 2019

Minimum Subscription:N5million

Tax Consideration:Free and clear of withholding taxes

Send me a pm if interested
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:47am On May 23, 2019
zamirikpo:

its good for small investors cos the banks where crowding out ever body,they mobilisation cheap deposit at 4 percent and buy tb at 15 with zero risk this model discourage them from lending to private enterprises. Bank buying u0 over 75 percent of tb leads to futher unemployment and poverty against lending to private enterprises....reducing the volume bank can buy will increase the number of successful bids by small investors and might increase the rates a little or not cos most bids are usually over subscrib by over 200 percent ,If we take out the amount bank can mobilized and bid with but banks can be smart and setup subsidiaries and transfer excess fund there and bid via such firm and render return to the bank at the end of year...if banks are allowed with over 5 trillion unpaid in amcon even with you 50 u might no get cos they will buy and resell to u and make 0.5 every two week...imagine if dangote assume to buy up the entire tb available and earn 10 percent sack all workers and play golf.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:08am On May 23, 2019
Imagine two investors ahib oil and gas vs gt bank investing in govt security...ahib oil and gas earn his investing funds by providing logistic service to MRS oil plc in generating this funds he couple a truck ,employ driver ,service the truck ,buy parts ,pay insurance ,employ motor boy ,pay tax ,buy tyre all my moves generate jobs and bussiness for other reducing poverty and taking risk while gt bank sit in it office and people dump billions in saving account at 0-4percent and his money is just dump in tb at 14 .5 ...with zero risk and small stress this is the most unproductive money making scheme that lead to high unemployment

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anidat77(m): 8:24am On May 23, 2019
Good morning house,
Please I want to ask, has any one received a treasury bill certificate required to get a bank loan? Does AXA MAnsard issue such certificates to their clients. Please help.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oneroflo57(m): 9:13am On May 23, 2019
Has anybody come across this?
Its been advertised by sterling bank

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Justnice11: 10:43am On May 23, 2019
zamirikpo:

I'm not a guru (yet). But I want the bosses in the house to make comment on my thoughts....

Do you think this stuff (if properly implemented) can increase the rate of fixed deposits?

For instance, banks now started to major on giving loans (at 25% and above), and they don't need to settle for 12%-14% TB yield again (yes, I think the low rates attached to fixed deposits comes about as a result of the rates banks gets from TB. Meaning, if TB rates can be at, let's say 30%, there is a possibility of being able to negotiate fixed deposit to up to 20%)

So bosses, please educate me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Breadfruit: 12:21pm On May 23, 2019
Please is it that gtbank bid keeps failing or what? I will put in for the primary market And not get debited? This is like the third time.

Since February that the last one matured?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 2:19pm On May 23, 2019
Breadfruit:
Please is it that gtbank bid keeps failing or what? I will put in for the primary market And not get debited? This is like the third time.

Since February that the last one matured?

Port to Stanbic
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:49pm On May 23, 2019
I actually feel like retiring .do any body feel the same my investment in bond and tb could be earning me around 800 k monthly ,runing business come with a lot of stress ,couple with Lagos stress some time I feel like just selling my fleet and adding my holding in tb and retire at 40 ...but I don't like boredom , I went on a 1 months vacation and it was not fun after 2 weeks ,or move aboard and enjoy live small in a normal society before my exit...when is the best time to retire?or we will working,investing still we die

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gforce2019: 7:00pm On May 23, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
I actually feel like retiring .do any body feel the same my investment in bond and tb could be earning me around 800 k monthly ,runing business come with a lot of stress ,couple with Lagos stress some time I feel like just selling my fleet and adding my holding in tb and retire at 40 ...but I don't like boredom , I went on a 1 months vacation and it was not fun after 2 weeks ,or move aboard and enjoy live small in a normal society before my exit...when is the best time to retire?or we will working,investing still we die

I smelled lie in your comments. How do you invest that you are getting 800k monthly. Eniyan o tan re bi Iya ibeji

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.