Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (778) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443282 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:40am On May 18, 2019
zamirikpo:

Bros am just tired......the thing should just hit 13 at least....

Looking at the discount rate alone is decptive

364days at 12.5% is effectively 14.29%

14.3% is still manageable for now.

As things are now, It's more likely to go a little lower than it is to trend higher.

High rates too have their own disadvantage.

imagine, in 2018, say the total money supply in the system was about N40trn.

OMO interests topped N 2trn, FG's local debt service also neared N 2trn.

Those two artificial monies alone have diluted the system by close to 10%.

The funny thing is less than 0.5% of the population benefit directly from these artificial monies created, while banks' balance sheet keep getting fat from them.

From about N5trn in 2017, The largest bank by asset may reach N 7trn this year.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Skansaca: 10:02am On May 18, 2019
phunix:
please could someone with handy information help us with FBN state of things as regard May 16 bidding on Tbills.
Thanks.

The amount earlier debited for 182 days Tbills
for May 16 Primary Market Auction was credited
back into my account by FBN. Bidding failed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 10:20am On May 18, 2019
FBN failed or they did not bid at all? No credit on my account yet, and no news from the bank about my bid whether it's successful or not.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutedharmee: 10:26am On May 18, 2019
walcolm:

Disturbance? What disturbance? I thought the purpose of a thread is for people to engage....how do you engage if everyone has the same opinion? What do you learn from a cesspool of tunnel vision?

If you all have the same opinion about everything, does that then mean the purpose of this thread is for bragging and show off by the owners of the thread; who's opinion cannot be questioned

Pls educate me since you have started with an English lecture
Did u say engage? By telling ur fellow being to go drink sniper if pained? Anyway me nt in fr dis as it's too early bro...b gud and do av an awesome wikend ahead

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43am On May 18, 2019
walcolm:

Disturbance? What disturbance? I thought the purpose of a thread is for people to engage....how do you engage if everyone has the same opinion? What do you learn from a cesspool of tunnel vision?

If you all have the same opinion about everything, does that then mean the purpose of this thread is for bragging and show off by the owners of the thread; who's opinion cannot be questioned

Pls educate me since you have started with an English lecture

Lol, I apologized to the guy. The guy isn't talking. Yet some busybody people decided to become judge and jury. Crying more than the bereaved. I would never understand Nairalanders... grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 12:52pm On May 18, 2019
awesomeJ:

Looking at the discount rate alone is decptive

364days at 12.5% is effectively 14.29%

14.3% is still manageable for now.

As things are now, It's more likely to go a little lower than it is to trend higher.

High rates too have their own disadvantage.

imagine, in 2018, say the total money supply in the system was about N40trn.

OMO interests topped N 2trn, FG's local debt service also neared N 2trn.

Those two artificial monies alone have diluted the system by close to 10%.

The funny thing is less than 0.5% of the population benefit directly from these artificial monies created, while banks' balance sheet keep getting fat from them.

From about N5trn in 2017, The largest bank by asset may reach N 7trn this year.

U r right abt the true yield but that is only clearly enjoyed if reinvesting your interest. I need a certain sum to divest and that sum will be from my upfront interest which I have not been able to get becos I've been waiting for just 13%.

Out of vex I applied for the last auctions but it didn't work at stanbic for 364days.

Really confused.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Guruindahouse(m): 1:18pm On May 18, 2019
I didnt liquidate it eventually. Sorry for late reply though.
meetchandus:

Please do you have an update yet?..considering liquidating some funds as well..Kindly update with the process and how it goes.Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:41pm On May 18, 2019
zamirikpo:

U r right abt the true yield but that is only clearly enjoyed if reinvesting your interest. I need a certain sum to divest and that sum will be from my upfront interest which I have not been able to get becos I've been waiting for just 13%.

Out of vex I applied for the last auctions but it didn't work at stanbic for 364days.

Really confused.

Sir, true yield is enjoyed on every T-bill investment o, regardless of whether you are reinvesting interest or not.

If someone buys 1m worth at 15%.

If he takes his his 150k interest upfront,

His true RoI =150k/850k = 17.6%

If he reinvests, He gets about 1,176,000 on maturity. His RoI = 176k/1m still 17.6%.

The fact that the bills are sold at a discount is what makes for a higher true yield, and not necessarily the fact that interests are reinvested.

I hope that your money is not just idling around o. It'll be good you fix it in an MMF or some ridiculously cheap stocks than just let returns go unearned.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mizwisdom(f): 2:04pm On May 18, 2019
Nichee:
1.Primary rate is relatively higher than Secondary rate.

2,Primary always comes with 3tenor 91days,182dys & 364 days while secondary do have a flexible tenor depending on availability.

3.Primary tb auction is done fortnightly by cbn while Secondary is done by banks anytime based on availability..

TB is backed by FG... And layman meaning of TB is you are borrowing govt money so the only risk I can think of is default on the part of govt. Or God forbid War. Or if the country disintegrate. Others can contribute.

Thank you

Thanks. No wonder GTB doesn't like to assist clients in buying from primary market. They've continuously ignored my request. Let me move to Stanbic or FBN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by S007: 7:00pm On May 18, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Thanks. No wonder GTB doesn't like to assist clients in buying from primary market. They've continuously ignored my request. Let me move to Stanbic or FBN.

Yeah. GTB is for sure one of the worst banks for TB on primary market in recent times. I had no choice but to move on with my funds after several weeks of unending disappointments.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 10:20pm On May 18, 2019
I just discovered stanbic ibtc has fixed deposit for US dollars/domiciliary account and my money has been lying idle in GTB ever since?

Anyone has an idea of this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 12:47am On May 19, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 1:58am On May 19, 2019
chigo4u:
I just discovered stanbic ibtc has fixed deposit for US dollars/domiciliary account and my money has been lying idle in GTB ever since?

Anyone has an idea of this?

I need this information badly. funds just sitting down in GTB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 2:01am On May 19, 2019
On Monday, I am definitely going to Stanbic to make the inquiry myself. USD must no longer sit idle.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:39am On May 19, 2019
Guruindahouse:
this is WHY I love Tbills!

It Makes the funds unavailable and forces you to make or find other sources of funds.
Or simply CANCEL those truly unnecessary IMPULSIVE expenses.

I am learning great things here. I wish I started when I first saw this thread like 2013...then the interest was TOO small in my eyes! Lolzzzz

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:46am On May 19, 2019
igbizen:
On Monday, I am definitely going to Stanbic to make the inquiry myself. USD must no longer sit idle.
good decision.
It will only take 30
Minutes max.

I remember visiting 5 banks before I started Tbills and money market fund business.

LOL...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Guruindahouse(m): 9:47am On May 19, 2019
You are so right. Its one of the best ways to reduce avoidable expenses that we think are indispensable.

My money is still intact and was forced to source for the fund that I needed elsewhere. My bank manager helped me because he discouraged me to liquidate it from the onset.

Never too late for anything, Bro. We learn everyday.
RealityShot:
this is WHY I love Tbills!

It Makes the funds unavailable and forces you to make or find other sources of funds.
Or simply CANCEL those truly unnecessary IMPULSIVE expenses.

I am learning great things here. I wish I started when I first saw this thread like 2013...then the interest was TOO small in my eyes! Lolzzzz

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 10:10am On May 19, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 11:02am On May 19, 2019
cy4cent:

Are you kidding me? Now I see why they do it. How can someone be so heartless to allow you get 1-4% interest on FD when you can get up to 13% from TBills? Just for their own selfish interest. It is only God that will help Nigeria, I give up. For the past months, this account officer allowed my funds to remain dormant.

Lol! Sister take am easy. Let's not forget it's our brothers and sisters working in these banks, and the pressure on them to deliver on their targets is intense - I mean INTENSE.

Of course I don't support the account officer deliberately witholding information simply to achieve his/her selfish goal. I believe they should be honest about it. I've had account officer beg to allow my funds remain for a particular period and have obliged in few instances
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 11:19am On May 19, 2019
S007:

Yeah. GTB is for sure one of the worst banks for TB on primary market in recent times. I had no choice but to move on with my funds after several weeks of unending disappointments.

I beg to disagree. I've been using them for many years and I think I've been dissapointed not more than twice.

It may depend on the branches you use. There's usually a staff in charge of such issues. Those wishing to invest should always ask of that person, and any account officer.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 11:25am On May 19, 2019
awesomeJ:

Sir, true yield is enjoyed on every T-bill investment o, regardless of whether you are reinvesting interest or not.

If someone buys 1m worth at 15%.

If he takes his his 150k interest upfront,

His true RoI =150k/850k = 17.6%

If he reinvests, He gets about 1,176,000 on maturity. His RoI = 176k/1m still 17.6%

The fact that the bills are sold at a discount is what makes for a higher true yield, and not necessarily the fact that interests are reinvested.

Interesting. I've never considered it from this angle.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by meetchandus(m): 12:55am On May 20, 2019
Guruindahouse:

Okay thanks

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stcool(m): 8:43am On May 20, 2019
Has anyone tried out this platform...I like to know how reliable and good they are, platform and company.

https://www.tradefi.ng/ by Comercio Partners
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:21am On May 20, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 12:16pm On May 20, 2019
Be careful of the bank you use bank wb

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bozz007(m): 12:30pm On May 20, 2019
Afrinvest secondary rates:

Maturity //Tenor (Days)// Rate (%) p.a.// Yield (%) p.a.
18-Jul-19 // 59 // 8.00 // 8.10
8-Aug-19 // 80 // 9.00// 9.18
5-Sep-19 // 108 // 10.00// 10.30
24-Oct-19 // 157 // 10.80 //11.33
28-Nov-19 //192 // 10.50// 11.11
12-Dec-19 //206 // 10.80 //11.50
2-Jan-20 //227 // 11.10 //11.92
30-Jan-20 //255 //11.40// 12.39
27-Feb-20 //283 //11.00 //12.03

Rates are valid till 01:45pm today (20-May-19)
*Please note that the minimum subscription for T-Bills is N100,000.00

you can google them if you want to buy.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kayromeo123: 12:47pm On May 20, 2019
Please, I really need to invest in this, can I get a person to put me through? the person can reach me through my contact number, thou have registered but I don't know how to go about it thanks. 08036816164. ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 12:57pm On May 20, 2019
MATURITY /TENOR/RATE

15-Aug-2019
87 DAYS
9.00%
14-Nov-2019
178 DAYS
10.50%
05-Mar-2020
290 DAYS
11.00%

Got this from Gtb few mins ago ..Be like say secondary rates not too good for Now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dyonpoint: 1:37pm On May 20, 2019
lancee:

MATURITY /TENOR/RATE

15-Aug-2019
87 DAYS
9.00%
14-Nov-2019
178 DAYS
10.50%
05-Mar-2020
290 DAYS
11.00%

Got this from Gtb few mins ago ..Be like say secondary rates not too good for Now

Thanks for this info... Was about going to the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mokrak(m): 6:11pm On May 20, 2019
Please everyone be watchful of your banks ooo especially first bank,they have started playing hanky panky.my treasury bills was matured and a standing order to pay back the interest and principal in my account was ignored and re-invested.
Now they are telling me they will discount if I want to collect my principal and interest back because it has started already.
A fault of theirs ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.