Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (830) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4447335 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) (832) (833) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 13, 2019
Yes
Magnifico2000:

You mean for primary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2019
Bravedude112:
Yes

Please can I terminate my TB prematurely from any first bank branch in another state or I must do it at same branch I did the TB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 3:14pm On Jul 13, 2019
I am still getting schooled on it, for now I am trying to focus on cheap stocks just like the movie "wolf of wall street", they are volatile but then again the margin could be great if well speculated
qizick:
Speaking foreign stocks how can we invest in it

quote author=damilola1978 post=80221547]I think stock market is best for trading real time than buy and keep but then again, you may not get that much profit unlike trading foreign stocks

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2019
Jejebabaa:

Oga Realityshot, i know that loss is inevitable in the stock market but i dont understand all the losses you are sharing oo. Entry, exit prices and risk management are key in stock market. I guess you need to finetune your strategies cos some of us made profit in most stocks overall and we buy stocks with good margin of safety, high dividend yields and high potential of capital appreciation.
yeah...
i have "fine tuned" myself OUT of that gambling zone.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by xxleoxx(m): 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2019
Bravedude112:
Yes

plz man i bought tbills worth #170,000 on 10/5/2019 (11%) and it's surpose to mature by 22/8/2019 but i want to terminate it as soon as possible plz from ur experience lets assume it's being sold for 10% can u guess how much i would likely get back?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
RealityShot:
NOTHING IS SURE IN STOCKS MARKET

I lost 20+% on that Zenith last year 2018... I never the dividends that they announced
i lost 30+% on dangote cement..
i lost 90% on dangote flour despite leaving from 2008 to 2018.. Zero dividends!
i lost 90+% on ecobank ater waiting 10 years too! Zero dividends!

NSE is very un safe!
do not buy stocks for dividends..companys have learnt bad things and do them without sanction from NSE

I totally agree with you. Naija stock market is the more u look the less u see. I trade penny stock abroad but the loss is not as bad as naija stock market.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 8:15pm On Jul 13, 2019
xxleoxx:

plz man i bought tbills worth #170,000 on 10/5/2019 (11%) and it's surpose to mature by 22/8/2019 but i want to terminate it as soon as possible plz from ur experience lets assume it's being sold for 10% can u guess how much i would likely get back?
If I get you correctly, u invested #170,000 in tbills.
From the calculation of the tenor. It seems the tenor is supposed to be for 102 days.
So it means ur initial interest before termination would be 11% × #170,000 ×102/365days = #5,225.75

#5225.75 is supposed to be your upfront interest or #175,225.75 at maturity when the interest is not paid upfront.
Now considering the number of days left on the tenor would be vital in calculating your profit or loss when it is terminated before maturity.
So let's assume you are terminating it on the 15/07/2019. It means u would have used 35 days.
So the recalculated interest will be 11% × #170,000 × 35/365 days = #1793.15
Remember that you still have about 67 days left. Now you would have to calculate the remaining 67 days with 10% interest which is 10% × #170,000 ×67/365 = #3,120.55.

Therefore, on the day of termination (15/7/2019) your loss of interest would be #5225.15 - #1793.15 = #3432.6

You would be credited with #170,000-#3432.6 = #166,567.4
Financial gurus in the house, pls contribute to..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DUNKA(m): 8:55pm On Jul 13, 2019
Dear house please which is the best tenor for Treasury Bills if one wants to be rolling over?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enque(f): 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2019
DUNKA:
Dear house please which is the best tenor for Treasury Bills if one wants to be rolling over?

for me, I'd say 6 months or 1 year since the plan is just to keep rolling over
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by xxleoxx(m): 10:56pm On Jul 13, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:00pm On Jul 13, 2019
[b]
COPIED.......

*ONE YEAR AFTER SHE CALLED ME AN IDIOT...*
.Dr Olanike Busari
*Important Lessons*

She asked a question in a general group on WhatsApp.
I responded to the question professionally.

She tagged my response and typed: *"you're an idiot"*

I replied: *"Thanks so much, now that you point my attention to this idiotic part of me, I'll surely work on it, God bless you my dear..."*

*And the whole place shook. Over 118 people commented and were so surprised by my response. Of course she was terribly bashed to the extent that she left the group.*

*An hour later she called me to apologise* for her stupidity bla bla bla.
We became friends.

Then I ended up handling her premarital counselling sessions.

Two days ago, on my birthday, she and her husband gave me a gift worth over 1.2million naira.
This was a year after she called me an idiot.

*Life Lessons from this experience.*

*1. MATURITY:* Your reaction to negative feedbacks or situations shows how mature you are.

*2. CHOICE:* You have the power of choice whenever anybody does or says anything offensive to you.

*3. SELF CONTROL:* If someone calls you anything negative and you lose yourself and begin to fight or shout or do anything terrible, you only prove them right.

*4. SILENCE IS GOLDEN:* It is better to keep quiet and people think you're a fool than for you to open your mouth and they confirm you're truly a fool.

*5. DISCERNMENT:* You cannot because the baby pooed in his bath throw the baby away with the bath water.

*6. POSITIVE POWER:* You have the power to win people through your maturity and composure and not through overly being more sanctimonious than the person.

*7. POSITIVE IMPACT:* Life is all about people. If I had responded to her negatively, I would have lost a friend forever.

*8. WISDOM:* There are people who are sent to you by God to help your journey in life to be worthwhile, your meeting point might be at a fighting point. Be wise, even when you're angry.

*9. HUMILITY:* She was humble enough to call and she apologized.

*10. RECONCILIATION:* Maybe there's someone you need to reconcile with today also, go ahead and do just that.

*We can all get better with ourselves, with these 10 key lessons.
I found this interesting and thought it good to share.[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by xxleoxx(m): 11:01pm On Jul 13, 2019
[quote author=Magnifico2000 post=80235129]
If I get you correctly, u invested #170,000 in tbills.
From the calculation of the tenor. It seems the tenor is supposed to be for 102 days.
So it means ur initial interest before termination would be 11% × #170,000 ×102/365days = #5,225.75

#5225.75 is supposed to be your upfront interest or #175,225.75 at maturity when the interest is not paid upfront.
Now considering the number of days left on the tenor would be vital in calculating your profit or loss when it is terminated before maturity.
So let's assume you are terminating it on the 15/07/2019. It means u would have used 35 days.
So the recalculated interest will be 11% × #170,000 × 35/365 days = #1793.15
Remember that you still have about 67 days left. Now you would have to calculate the remaining 67 days with 10% interest which is 10% × #170,000 ×67/365 = #3,120.55.

thanks alot.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:16am On Jul 14, 2019
ogawisdom:

Please can I terminate my TB prematurely from any first bank branch in another state or I must do it at same branch I did the TB.

You will have to give a try first. There is not guarantee for it some staff you meet at the seat could be flexible while others are stiff. I have collected proof of investment from other branches of First Bank where I did not initiate the transaction so long as they check and it's there.. However, about 2 week back I invested with a branch that's far from me and went to another close by to get the proof because you can't get it same day. The staff seated there out rightly said she will not print it for because I didn't do it there.

Things like this is easy with GTB as whatever request concerning your account /transaction is sent to your account officer /your branch so it does not matter where you initiate so long as your account officer can verify that the instruction is from you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
Apt and spot on

OgogoroFreak:
The problem with I-invest is that;

* They don't give you your interest upfront.
* They don't give Certificate of investment like banks.

This means, they can decide to take "bigger risk" with investors money in the future, while you think your money is in tbills.

And if that bigger risk fails, they might start using Peter to pay Paul (Ponzi!) and Sterling Bank thru its legal team will distant itself from them saying something in the line of They are PARTHIAN PARTNERS we are STERLING BANK! cool

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2019
damilola1978:
I am still getting schooled on it, for now I am trying to focus on cheap stocks just like the movie "wolf of wall street", they are volatile but then again the margin could be great if well speculated
Very true, in fact research shows that they, ON AVERAGE, yield higher than than high price stocks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2019
It's another auction week. Get your instructions ready.

I'm collecting tax on your returns grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DAramis: 5:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
a farm was bought for 80 k in 1989 was sold for 300 m in 2015 funny enough the man that sold it for 80k is still alive and came as witness to transcation
Boss, even if someone bought Bush or farm land that was really genuine, can't he be able to regularize it to get C. Of. O?

Most people might not have money to buy land with c of o due to cost.

Just learnt few things from the few minutes I have read this thread.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
Bamz:
It's another auction week. Get your instructions ready.

I'm collecting tax on your returns grin
What day please
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 2:02am On Jul 15, 2019
The startup space in Nigeria is just getting exciting as the days go by. PiggyVest is probably one of the most fascinating of them right now. Let me gossip about them a bit.

So their funds are managed by AIICO Capital (who have a SEC license). Legit? Check
They've got a micro-financing license from CBN. Amazing? You bet!

Apart from the fact that I love the concept of their business in that it encourages savings, they've got a T-bills styled service called "Safelock". The interest you get is up to 13% pa (upfront) and you can set a duration between 10 and 1000 days.

For those averse to managing funds from software applications, LOL, here's an excerpt from the coy's portal:
"Our operational costs are relatively low - we do not operate multiple branches or hire a lot of staff to manage operations. We are also able to negotiate premium rates due to volumes."
I personally think this is the future of fintech. Most Millenials and Bitcoiners like me probably have no problem trading from apps anyways.
-----
chigo4u,
July 18

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 15, 2019
Bamz:
The startup space in Nigeria is just getting exciting as the days go by. PiggyVest is probably one of the most fascinating of them right now. Let me gossip about them a bit.

So their funds are managed by AIICO Capital (who have a SEC license). Legit? Check
They've got a micro-financing license from CBN. Amazing? You bet!

Apart from the fact that I love the concept of their business in that it encourages savings, they've got a T-bills styled service called "Safelock". The interest you get is up to 13% pa (upfront) and you can set a duration between 10 and 1000 days.

For those averse to managing funds from software applications, LOL, here's an excerpt from the coy's portal:
"Our operational costs are relatively low - we do not operate multiple branches or hire a lot of staff to manage operations. We are also able to negotiate premium rates due to volumes."
I personally think this is the future of fintech. Most Millenials and Bitcoiners like me probably have no problem trading from apps anyways.
-----
chigo4u,
July 18

If i put 200k in safe lock for 90 days, will i earn the 13% or over 13% per annum stated in the app?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 15, 2019
Good morning all, please I'll like to know can i have 2 or more Investment on Tbills in the same bank or different bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 8:03am On Jul 15, 2019
Ugo04:
Good morning all, please I'll like to know can i have 2 or more Investment on Tbills in the same bank or different bank?

You can have as many as possible either in the same bank or several banks.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 8:48am On Jul 15, 2019
These banks have come again with their usual disgust for competition and late entry into trendy stuff.

GTBank is now offering loans (10k-5M) at 1.75% monthly interest rate!

Repayable in 6-12 equal monthly installments.

These guys would eventually kill RenMoney and the likes.

https://www.gtbank.com/personal-banking/loans/all-loans/quick-credit?utm_source=Linkedin&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Quick%20Credit#nav-menu

We should expect an app soon to contest with Piggybank, and other FINTECHS.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 8:51am On Jul 15, 2019
These banks have come again with their usual disgust for competition and late entry into trendy stuff.

https://www.gtbank.com/personal-banking/loans/all-loans/quick-credit?utm_source=Linkedin&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Quick%20Credit#nav-menu

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 15, 2019
Grupo:

You can have as many as possible either in the same bank or several banks.

Thank you sir

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:09am On Jul 15, 2019
Acidosis:

This is what banks were supposed to do in the first place but instead they sat in their offices collecting free income from COT(Account Maintenance Charge) from current accounts. Now that most people have closed their current accounts and move to Savings accounts, that free income has dropped drastically. People have moved because with eChannels and Cashless, you can now do anything from Savings account. Moreover, dividend is now directly credited through eDividend mandate.

Consumer lending is a big income generating business. The banks went to sleep and that was why the likes of Renmoney moved in. I once told a banker that if a bank makes 10k as interest through consumer lending from 1million customers in a year, the bank will net N10Billion income without sweat. This is easily achievable due to our population and our high consumption levels. The rate of default in consumer lending is low because it is normally tied to the salary of the borrower.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kirchhoff01(m): 10:20am On Jul 15, 2019
needful:

I totally agree with you. Naija stock market is the more u look the less u see. I trade penny stock abroad but the loss is not as bad as naija stock market.
Are you in SA?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2019
Acidosis:

About 21% per annum..

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2019
NL1960:

This is what banks were supposed to do in the first place but instead they sat in their offices collecting free income from COT(Account Maintenance Charge) from current accounts. Now that most people have closed their current accounts and move to Savings accounts, that free income has dropped drastically. People have moved because with eChannels and Cashless, you can now do anything from Savings account. Moreover, dividend is now directly credited through eDividend mandate.

Consumer lending is a big income generating business. The banks went to sleep and that was why the likes of Renmoney moved in. I once told a banker that if a bank can makes 10k as interest through consumer lending from N1million customers in a year, the bank will net N10Billion income without sweat. This is easily achievable due to our population and our high consumption levels. The rate of default in consumer lending is low because it is normally tied to the salary of the borrower.

Exactly. 10 billion is even too small to what they're capable of achieving from consumer lending. The era of collateral is gradually fading. All they require now is account statement/transaction history. BVN and account mandate have also simplified the whole process for FINTECH.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2019
freeman67:

About 21% per annum..

1.75% interest on a loan of N1.2m (12 months plan) means a monthly repayment of N100,000 + N7500 interest for 12 months.

Seriously, this is the best deal I've seen anywhere in Nigeria (excluding Cooperative societies).

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2019
Acidosis:

1.75% interest on a loan of N1.2m (12 months plan) means a monthly repayment of N100,000 + N7500 interest for 12 months.

Seriously, this is the best deal I've seen anywhere in Nigeria (excluding Cooperative societies).

I think you must have credit worthiness to access GT quick loan oh.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
Kirchhoff01:
Are you in SA?

No. America

(1) (2) (3) ... (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) (832) (833) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.