Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,815 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (829) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4429190 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) (832) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by arduino: 3:46pm On Jul 12, 2019
Godbpraised:
Government bonds are much safer, however T-bills is safer it you are buying at the primary market, if you are buying through banks there some levels of risk.

Please expatiate on the bold portion cos I can't seem to point to any known "level of risk" buying from the secondary market facilitated by banks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2019
Godbpraised:
Government bonds are much safer, however T-bills is safer it you are buying at the primary market, if you are buying through banks there some levels of risk.
I'm lost here. Does it mean, you can't buy from primary market through banks? sad

What's is the risk exactly in buying from secondary market through banks?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 3:52pm On Jul 12, 2019
RESHARPENED:

I understand the fact that people here are BUSY people but can someone help me to address this questions, PLEASE?.

feelamong:

Officially you can invest as little as N1000. But because of the paper work involved and for the fact that the fees u pay to them is very low, most banks and discount houses insist on a min of 100k to N1M.

If you are interested send me a mail to feelamong@gmail.com ..I will introduce you to a friend in a discount house.

A simple search or scan through the thread saves us the stress of answering previously answered questions.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RESHARPENED: 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2019
Bamz:

A simple search or scan through the thread saves us the stress of answering previously answered questions.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Thanks for your input.

I have gone through the thread and I came across that. I only asked because that particular information was given a while back and might not represent the current situation. Plus it's more of a range than a definite figure.

I also saw that I-invest accepts a minimum of 100000. But I wanted to know about banks' minimum threshold.

Thanks again!.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2019
RESHARPENED:

Thanks for your input.

I have gone through the thread and I came across that. I only asked because that particular information was given a while back and might not represent the current situation. Plus it's more of a range than a definite figure.

I also saw that I-invest accepts a minimum of 100000. But I wanted to know about banks' minimum threshold.

Thanks again!.

Standard Chartered would even tell you that you need 50m to partake in the primary market but the information I gave applies to most banks. If however, you need a bank specific information, do not hesitate to contact them directly.
Have a nice day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RESHARPENED: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2019
Bamz:

Standard Chartered would even tell you that you need 50m to partake in the primary market but the information I gave applies to most banks. Have a nice day.

Thank you very much, Sir!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Omonigeriarere: 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2019
Willie2015:

This is Naija...
To get SEC license is not a big deal....
Ask those investors that got their fund locked up in BGL etc.....licensed by the Almighty SEC...
SEC system is messed up...
It is advisable to stick to known banks for treasury bills...
I use First Bank or invest in FGN Bonds...
Sharks everywhere .....

Whether you bud through bank or I-Invest, both have the same regulators. This means that they are both risky investments.

However, do you think CBN and SEC do not know what they are doing by mandating I-Invest to only pay money into an account linked to Investors' BVN only?

You have your choice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2019
Pls when is the next auction? I think it's next week buh not sure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 6:20pm On Jul 12, 2019
Acidosis:

Someone with 100M or 1B won't even approach many of the banks (you see as almighty) for savings, not just investments. There are banks I won't save 1b, banks like FCMB, Unity, Jaiz, Standard Chartered, Fidelity, Polaris, Heritage, Wema, Citi Bank, and Ecobank.

Does it mean savers in the aforementioned banks are gambling with their funds? Does it mean the above banks are scammers or Ponzi? Due diligence is all about conducting personal research.

As far as I know, I-Invest folks or Sterling bank are yet to say they're doing business with investors money. Treasury bills is what it is and let's leave it at that, unless the company has come to say otherwise. The only body in charge of T-bills is CBN so for I-Invest to fail, CBN must have failed other investors in GTB, Zenith, and the rest.

Let me ask you, if CBN fails to pay back your yield, how're you going to get your money? You think your bank would sell its assets to refund a money you invested with CBN? That you approached a bank with $1 trillion assets doesn't mean a thing. They're simply agents that can't be held responsible for CBN/Government's failures.

Did you mention Standard Chartered? Lol. An international bank? There’s no bank that’s safer to keep 1 billion in Nigeria than Standard Chartered bank, ask the former Chief Judge of Nigeria.

The issue of I invest has been overflogged here, can we go back to TBills please.

People have different apetite for risk, so let everyone do what they want. People will still do MMM anyday. The moment I started seeing Sterling bank partnership with the i invest as ‘fishy’ was the moment I wrote it off. But to each his own

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 6:20pm On Jul 12, 2019
Can I get a rate say 13% in the secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 6:23pm On Jul 12, 2019
Willie2015:

This is Naija...
To get SEC license is not a big deal....
Ask those investors that got their fund locked up in BGL etc.....licensed by the Almighty SEC...
SEC system is messed up...
It is advisable to stick to known banks for treasury bills...
I use First Bank or invest in FGN Bonds...
Sharks everywhere .....

Please what is first Bank tbills rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2019
chigo4u:

Did you mention Standard Chartered? Lol.
An international bank? There’s no bank that’s safer to keep 1 billion in Nigeria than Standard Chartered bank, ask the former Chief Judge of Nigeria.

The issue of I invest has been overflogged here, can we go back to TBills please.

People have different apetite for risk, so let everyone do what they want. People will still do MMM anyday. The moment I started seeing Sterling bank partnership with the invest as gushy was the moment I wrote it off. But to each his own

Yeah, I'm aware. Aside being an international bank, what else do you know about standard chartered bank NG? For personal reasons, I show preference for NSE listed firms. I didn't include Standard IBTC, another "international bank", for a reason.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2019
Acidosis:

Yeah, I'm aware. Aside being an international bank, what else do you know about standard chartered bank NG? For personal reasons, I show preference for NSE listed firms. I didn't include Standard IBTC, another "international bank", for a reason.
This is hilarious. Diamond bank one of the biggest in Nigeria also listed in NSE crashed. Most of Nigerian banks use Standard Chartered as intermediary for international transactions including stanbic ibtc. Btw, Standard Chartered is targeted at the rich, minimum opening balance is 50k. You shouldn’t have mentioned it at all. It is one of the most solid banks in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2019
chigo4u:

This is hilarious. Diamond bank one of the biggest in Nigeria also listed in NSE crashed. Most of Nigerian banks use Standard Chartered as intermediary for international transactions including stanbic ibtc. Btw, Standard Chartered is targeted at the rich, minimum opening balance is 50k. You shouldn’t have mentioned it at all. It is one of the most solid banks in Nigeria.

One of the most solid banks in Nigeria ke? You have an idea their total assets in Nigeria? Profit after tax in 2018? Total customer base in Nigeria? Or you got any link to any of their annual financial reports like we have it for other national banks to even get a cue on what they "do" here in Nigeria? I hope you know that Barclays bank has a contact office in Lagos? Does that make Barclays one of the most solid banks in Nigeria? If CBN, NDIC, SEC and NSE won't come to the rescue, then I'm not "doing".

Well, the contest isn't very necessary since my reasons are personal.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 10:20pm On Jul 12, 2019
alezzy13:
Pls when is the next auction? I think it's next week buh not sure

Abegoo anyone? cry Someone posted q3 timeline but can't remember the page. Pls date of next auction. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 12:56am On Jul 13, 2019
One of the most effective things you can do to build better habits is to join a culture where your desired behaviour is normal behaviour.
Atomic Habit

This is the true power of the Financial Independence community. When you first realize what’s possible, it feels like you’ve stumbled on this huge secret. You can’t understand why everyone isn’t doing these things! Then, you discover that talking about finances in standard relationships with friends and family can be so awkward and counterproductive. Many people in your work or social groups are perfectly content to spend what they earn and borrow for more.

Fortunately, there is an online community of writers, bloggers, and podcasters that you can tap into for learning and modeling. There are comment sections, forums, and conventions for dialogue. However passively or actively you engage, you enter a culture where the necessary behaviours are normal.

Extreme frugality? Check.
High earnings/high savings? Sure.
Focus on investing? Yep.
High income, low income, side hustles, charitable giving. All of them!

Whatever you want to learn about, and whatever habits you want to build – you are in a community and culture that helps to reinforce the changes you need to make for success

Source: EducatorFI Portal
-----
If you can't start T-bills just yet cos of low funds,
+ Continue saving what you have.
+ Get a savings account where you don't withdraw money from (to be able to qualify for month-end interest)/ consider mutual funds, fixed deposits etc). Preservation of capital is key.
+ Don't loan out what you can't afford to lose
+ Don't cultivate the habit of borrowing money
+ Don't buy expensive clothes or material things that won't matter in the next 10 years
+ Live way below your means if possible
+ Don't be in a hurry to get an apartment if you can stay with your parents
+ About investments, diversify, diversify, diversify (I'm pleading embarassed)
+ Don't invest in what you don't understand
+ Don't be moved by people who brag out their net-worth, rather see it as a motivation to do better
+ Seek to know more, don't laze around to be spoonfed. Be voracious for knowledge
+ Read Books

If you hang around the barbershop long enough, sooner or later you're gonna get a haircut.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Diyke4rich: 4:03am On Jul 13, 2019
Please what are the risk buying from the bank? Lastly what is the interest rate for government bond and T.bill

Godbpraised:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 4:09am On Jul 13, 2019
Bamz:
One of the most effective things you can do to build better habits is to join a culture where your desired behaviour is normal behaviour.
Atomic Habit

This is the true power of the Financial Independence community. When you first realize what’s possible, it feels like you’ve stumbled on this huge secret. You can’t understand why everyone isn’t doing these things! Then, you discover that talking about finances in standard relationships with friends and family can be so awkward and counterproductive. Many people in your work or social groups are perfectly content to spend what they earn and borrow for more.

Fortunately, there is an online community of writers, bloggers, and podcasters that you can tap into for learning and modeling. There are comment sections, forums, and conventions for dialogue. However passively or actively you engage, you enter a culture where the necessary behaviours are normal.

Extreme frugality? Check.
High earnings/high savings? Sure.
Focus on investing? Yep.
High income, low income, side hustles, charitable giving. All of them!

Whatever you want to learn about, and whatever habits you want to build – you are in a community and culture that helps to reinforce the changes you need to make for success

Source: EducatorFI Portal
-----
If you can't start T-bills just yet cos of low funds,
+ Continue saving what you have.
+ Get a savings account where you don't withdraw money from (to be able to qualify for month-end interest)/ consider mutual funds, fixed deposits etc). Preservation of capital is key.
+ Don't loan out what you can't afford to lose
+ Don't cultivate the habit of borrowing money
+ Don't buy expensive clothes or material things that won't matter in the next 10 years
+ Live way below your means if possible
+ Don't be in a hurry to get an apartment if you can stay with your parents
+ About investments, diversify, diversify, diversify (I'm pleading embarassed)
+ Don't invest in what you don't understand
+ Don't be moved by people who brag out their net-worth, rather see it as a motivation to do better
+ Seek to know more, don't laze around to be spoonfed. Be voracious for knowledge
+ Read Books

If you hang around the barbershop long enough, sooner or later you're gonna get a haircut.

Informative .. We need such information to make us to be more focus /hardworking also not to forget ourselves while spending Thanks for sharing sir

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chekitaut: 5:16am On Jul 13, 2019
Get 30tons Granite
Island, Ikoyi, V.I, Lekki-Ajah for just N168,000

Hurry while stock last
08055545355, 08032887233
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jay7(m): 5:36am On Jul 13, 2019
Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I would like to know the current rate of treasury bills and the best bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:37am On Jul 13, 2019
Oga no be granite we dey buy here, we buy tbills!
Chekitaut:
Get 30tons Granite
Island, Ikoyi, V.I, Lekki-Ajah for just N168,000

Hurry while stock last
08055545355, 08032887233

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 13, 2019
Next auction is next week wednesday, you must complete your form and send to your bank not later than monday.
alezzy13:

Abegoo anyone? cry Someone posted q3 timeline but can't remember the page. Pls date of next auction. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 6:58am On Jul 13, 2019
chigo4u:

Opening balance used to be N250k. If the bolded is true, then they're coming to reality gradually.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 7:36am On Jul 13, 2019
Bravedude112:
Next auction is next week wednesday, you must complete your form and send to your bank not later than monday.

Many thanks, I appreciate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:08am On Jul 13, 2019
aremso:

sure banker stocks!
NOTHING IS SURE IN STOCKS MARKET

I lost 20+% on that Zenith last year 2018... I never got the dividends that they announced
i lost 30+% on dangote cement..
i lost 90% on dangote flour despite leaving from 2008 to 2018.. Zero dividends!
i lost 90+% on ecobank ater waiting 10 years too! Zero dividends!

NSE is very un safe!
do not buy stocks for dividends..companys have learnt bad things and do them without sanction from NSE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 9:11am On Jul 13, 2019
RealityShot:

I lost 20+% on that Zenith last year 2018... I never the dividends that they announced

NSE is very un safe!
do not buy stocks for dividends..companys have learnt bad things and do them without sanction from NSE

Oga Realityshot, i know that loss is inevitable in the stock market but i dont understand all the losses you are sharing oo. Entry, exit prices and risk management are key in stock market. I guess you need to finetune your strategies cos some of us made profit in most stocks overall and we buy stocks with good margin of safety, high dividend yields and high potential of capital appreciation.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by justpeehay(m): 9:13am On Jul 13, 2019
Magnifico2000:

What are the trends that can make it to increase.
imo, only another massive drop in crude oil price which is Nigeria's major source of revenue(poor economy) will make TB rates more attractive but. That's not gon happen anytime soon coz crude oil price is rallying hard
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 9:16am On Jul 13, 2019
justpeehay:
imo, only a massive drop in crude oil price which is Nigeria's major source of revenue(poor economy) will make TB rates more attractive but. That's not gon happen anytime soon coz crude oil price is rallying hard
Exactly my point too. You are correct.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Willie2015: 9:19am On Jul 13, 2019
Omonigeriarere:

Whether you bud through bank or I-Invest, both have the same regulators. This means that they are both risky investments.

However, do you think CBN and SEC do not know what they are doing by mandating I-Invest to only pay money into an account linked to Investors' BVN only?

You have your choice.

Banks are licensed and regulated by CBN ....
Parthian Partners is licensed and regulated by SEC ...and also a limited company...
In term of risks...you cant compare First Bank(Tier One Banks) with Parthian Partners.... Haba....
When the risk crystallizes, you will understand the difference .....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 9:25am On Jul 13, 2019
Bravedude112:
You mean for primary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 11:54am On Jul 13, 2019
I think stock market is best for trading real time than buy and keep but then again, you may not get that much profit unlike trading foreign stocks
RealityShot:

I lost 20+% on that Zenith last year 2018... I never the dividends that they announced

NSE is very un safe!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by qizick: 12:37pm On Jul 13, 2019
Speaking foreign stocks how can we invest in it

quote author=damilola1978 post=80221547]I think stock market is best for trading real time than buy and keep but then again, you may not get that much profit unlike trading foreign stocks [/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) (832) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Akerewe(m), iykmora(m), congi(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.