Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (841) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439673 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Too much liquidity in the system, FG bond was 200% oversubscribed. I hope treasury bills yield won't get to 6% by December

SEC, PENCOM, Investment community,CBN and FG need to create more risk free or minimal risk instruments and derivatives.

REITs are another instruments that should be looked into by the regulators provided they are appropriately priced.

Are REITs very prevalent in Nigeria? I didn't know that o.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 9:22pm On Jul 28, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

You can lose your capital

Penalty or fine for premature termination of your treasury bills will eat into your capital
Not true. It is not eating into your capital, it is collecting back part of the interest you already collected which was paid to you with the assumption that you will keep the fund invested till maturity.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bbbwings: 9:36pm On Jul 28, 2019
The more money you have the more clearer it is to you that tb doesn't make sense..

But what choice do one have?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 10:37pm On Jul 28, 2019
Bbbwings:
The more money you have the more clearer it is to you that tb doesn't make sense..

But what choice do one have?
T.B. makes sense. Instead of leaving money lying in the bank it best to put in T.B. infact to me T.B. makes sense only when you have more money

29 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 10:40pm On Jul 28, 2019
What we can only complain about is the rates. People were getting as high as 17% for 182 days tenor in 2017. I wonder what really changed in the economy between 2017 and now for rates to get this low

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Northeastern: 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Jesusbabygirl:
Not true. It is not eating into your capital, it is collecting back part of the interest you already collected which was paid to you with the assumption that you will keep the fund invested till maturity.

emmanuelewumi:

You can lose your capital

Penalty or fine for premature termination of your treasury bills will eat into your capital

tritritri:

Sir , As i said earlier , he won't lose a dam on his capital. they only charge little % on interest . you can reconfirm ,

You can lose your capital and you can have capital gain it all depends on what the interest rate is vis-a-vis when you made the investments. So both views are correct and I believe are based on the experience each person.

In my own case, I got a gain and this was with first bank. My branch is the stock exchange branch but I normally go to the HO to book Tbills. If you invested when rates were high and decide to terminate when rates have declined, you’ll gain even after paying the penalty. The opposite is true if rates trend up from when you invested, you’ll get a capital loss. You’ll be even if rates remain relatively stable.

Emma, I know you understand this but maybe didn’t consider it from that standpoint.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Northeastern: 10:59pm On Jul 28, 2019
chigo4u:
What we can only complain about is the rates. People were getting as high as 17% for 182 days tenor in 2017. I wonder what really changed in the economy between 2017 and now for rates to get this low

High rates are not good for the economy, that is why you get those rates in periods of high risks. It is better to have lower rates for the good of the economy and better standard of living

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 11:42pm On Jul 28, 2019
Northeastern:

High rates are not good for the economy, that is why you get those rates in periods of high risks. It is better to have lower rates for the good of the economy and better standard of living
Are you saying that the economy is better now than in 2017?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Northeastern: 11:53pm On Jul 28, 2019
chigo4u:

Are you saying that the economy is better now than in 2017?

Aside coming to a forum to learn about investments, you should also invest your time in knowing what you’re investing in. You’re investing in Nigeria so try and understand the variables that affect tbills in Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Experience4u(m): 8:14am On Jul 29, 2019

What do you think will be the value if the person wants to sale the Tbills as at this day?
Northeastern:

You can lose your capital and you can have capital gain it all depends on what the interest rate is vis-a-vis when you made the investments. So both views are correct and I believe are based on the experience each person.

In my own case, I got a gain and this was with first bank. My branch is the stock exchange branch but I normally go to the HO to book Tbills. If you invested when rates were high and decide to terminate when rates have declined, you’ll gain even after paying the penalty. The opposite is true if rates trend up from when you invested, you’ll get a capital loss. You’ll be even if rates remain relatively stable.

Emma, I know you understand this but maybe didn’t consider it from that standpoint.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by condomuser: 8:59am On Jul 29, 2019
You are right but the downside is that as we witness low rates, the economy doesn't get better within the period of low rates, the cost of living stays same and if there is any changes the cost of living moves higher. This has always been the dynamics in Nigeria.

The people suffering these are low wage earners and the average Nigerian, the rich well established Nigerians feel the impact a bit through their balance sheet but it has no damage to their wealth.

Northeastern:

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 9:54am On Jul 29, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

We are together on my WhatsApp group. SMI

Hello Pa Emma. I would so much appreciate it if I can be added to that WhatsApp group.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:02am On Jul 29, 2019
anitank:
Please those living in diaspora, how did you successfully purchase your treasury bills without being as frustrated as I am right now? This would be my first time not going directly into a bank to buy Tbills. I’ve sent countless emails to FBN without replies. The phone numbers on their websites are land lines which aren’t connecting.

I’ve tried to read a couple of pages but didn’t see anything relating to this hence my question. Please I’m desperate and need urgent replies.

To get a quick response from First Bank, you will have to mail firstcontact@firstbanknigeria.com or drop your worries on their main twitter handle. They will ask you to DM them the details. I believe from there you can carry on.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 11:10am On Jul 29, 2019
Dangote is the biggest economic saboteur the world has ever known. But guess what? He didn’t create himself. Every Nigerian leader since 1999 including Governors enabled him. In serious countries, Antitrust laws would have sent him either to jail or out of business with fines.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 11:17am On Jul 29, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga(m): 12:02pm On Jul 29, 2019
if someone invested in sec market today via FirstBank, how long will it take them to credit ur interested after debitin ur capital. as i knew for primary markt, they debit anytime and credit interest on thursday after a successful bid on wed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 29, 2019
anitank:
Please those living in diaspora, how did you successfully purchase your treasury bills without being as frustrated as I am right now? This would be my first time not going directly into a bank to buy Tbills. I’ve sent countless emails to FBN without replies. The phone numbers on their websites are land lines which aren’t connecting.

I’ve tried to read a couple of pages but didn’t see anything relating to this hence my question. Please I’m desperate and need urgent replies.
call firstcontact on +2347080625000 Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2019
If you are in other countries in africa, america or asia you can reach first bank at: diasporabankingaaa@firstbanknigeria.com
If you are in euurope you can reach them at: diasporabankingeurope@firstbanknigeria.com
You can also reach them at their general diaspora banking email at: diasporabanking@firstbanknigeria.com
Another number of first contact: +23414485500
N.B:. It may take them 24/48hrs to reply to your message, better if you can request to know the name and contact detail of your relationship manager and contact her directly for earlier replies. Cheers!
anitank:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2019
Infinitisi:

Hello Pa Emma. I would so much appreciate it if I can be added to that WhatsApp group.

Send a mail to either Oracle, Wanajo or Shigidi, they are the admins
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kryptem: 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2019
FG just doing shakara with recent TB low rates. Too much money and plenty people over subscribing for their instruments.
This is what you get when demand surpass supply!

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ify2016: 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
House please, last year I opened a Sterling Recurrent Deposit Account with a Monthly deposit of 20k per annum. At the end of maturity, I was able to get a shocking 243k after a whole one year. Now I want to start another monthly savings that will mature per annum investing 20k.
My question is that, what financial advice can you give me on how to get a better return per annum saving 20k monthly? Your advice is very Paramount to me. Am starting either this Friday or next week Tuesday. Thanks a lot
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2019
The primary reason why TB rates are low, is that CBN wants to discourage commercial Banks from investing in TB. They want the banks to start lending to customers. Banks prefer to invest in TB than lend to customers .

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by reservd(m): 4:12pm On Jul 30, 2019
ify2016:
House please, last year I opened a Sterling Recurrent Deposit Account with a Monthly deposit of 20k per annum. At the end of maturity, I was able to get a shocking 243k after a whole one year. Now I want to start another monthly savings that will mature per annum investing 20k.
My question is that, what financial advice can you give me on how to get a better return per annum saving 20k monthly? Your advice is very Paramount to me. Am starting either this Friday or next week Tuesday. Thanks a lot
You mean you gained just 3k after a whole year? Well maybe you should go for MMF since you will be making deposits monthly

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 5:03pm On Jul 30, 2019
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. This is worse than armed robbery..
ify2016:

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vinzez: 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2019
reservd:

You mean you gained just 3k after a whole year? Well maybe you should go for MMF since you will be making deposits monthly

I was even thinking he made an extra 243k o. I wan even go join sef.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ify2016: 5:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
reservd:

How can I open MMF account and like what interest can I get in return per annum? Thanks so much.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ify2016: 5:37pm On Jul 30, 2019
billtommy:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. This is worse than armed robbery..
I was shocked too because last two years I saved 10k monthly per annum but made about 140k after termination? Now I don't know what went wrong. I didn't missed even a month at all. Imagine.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Apitch(m): 5:59pm On Jul 30, 2019
ify2016:

I was shocked too because last two years I saved 10k monthly per annum but made about 140k after termination? Now I don't know what went wrong. I didn't missed even a month at all. Imagine.

https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds
Investing 20k every month will give you about 200 naira the first month and increases another 200naira with the same top up of 20k every month.
After one year you will have your 240k + 15,600 profit
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ify2016: 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2019
Apitch:

Investing 20k every month will give you about 200 naira the first month and increases another 200naira with the same top up of 20k every month.
Wow!!! Better. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ify2016: 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2019
Apitch:

So, MMF and Mutual Fund, which is better?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
ify2016:
invest in money market fund.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by reservd(m): 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2019
ify2016:

How can I open MMF account and like what interest can I get in return per annum? Thanks so much.
Minimum of 12% per annum, compounded quarterly. Check mutual fund thread

(1) (2) (3) ... (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: emmasoft(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.