Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (966) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445307 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 5:05pm On Nov 19, 2019
oliverdon:
Fidelity secondary @364 is 8perc closes 1pm
This is strange to me. When was the last time they did auction that by now we still have 364 days in the secondary market?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:12pm On Nov 19, 2019
zohan101:
Good day everyone..

So today i visited FBN quest asset managers at their IKoyi branch.

And i made enquiries on their FBN Bonds Fixed Income funds investment..

I was informed present interest rate is 16.04% , I was happy and almost signed up until I was informed that the interest rate isnt a constant for the entire bond tenure, rather it flauntuates..

I was also informed there is a possibility of my capital depreciating at the end of the bond tenure.(Rude awakening)

P.s Please Sir Emmanuel Ewelumi kindly help me out with understanding the risk aspect of my capital depreciating at the end of the tenure..Thanks alot sir.

Please find out, why your capital can depreciate.
I think if you terminate the fund before certain period of time, you might lose part of your capital.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 5:17pm On Nov 19, 2019
dake40:
If care is not taken, this is the moment people will loose their capitals to fake/unsafe investments while finding alternative to TB.

Advice to investors, please research and ask questions before you invest your funds....
My funds is safe in my savings account - I no Dey hungry, I get work and house rents. I won’t be pushed the period - b4 I go lose my small saved capital. Once the prorating stops, even if TBills goes to 1% I will do for 90days and wait until CBN is done doing their tombo-tombo. Lol

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2019
Exactly what I told the investment officer, That it ought to be only if one terminates b4 maturity but she said not only in such case..

She painted a scenario

That the current price of a bond is #1224..And if i purchase #20000 what of bond at #1224 gives 16.339 units..So if after holding for 3years or 5years and I decide to sell, its going to be subject to the price available as at that time, so if the price for a bond then is #1000..My capital gotten after the tenure will be #1000 x 16.339units=#16339(less than my startup capital of #20000)..

This was the illustration she gave..

It left me dumbfounded..Had to put a halt on investing..

emmanuelewumi:

Please find out, why your capital can depreciate.
I think if you terminate the fund before certain period of time, you might lose part of your capital.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
zohan101:

Exactly what I told the investment officer, That it ought to be only if one terminates b4 maturity but she said not only in such case..

She painted a scenario

That the current price of a bond is #1224..And if i purchase #20000 what of bond at #1224 gives 16.339 units..So if after holding for 3years or 5years and I decide to sell, its going to be subject to the price available as at that time, so if the price for a bond then is #1000..My capital gotten after the tenure will be #1000 x 16.339units=#16339(less than my startup capital of #20000)..

I don't think you will lose capital if you hold till maturity.

You can buy FGN savings bonds and hold to maturity, by 2 to 3 years tenor

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 5:36pm On Nov 19, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2019
Yes sir..Will consider that when I visit again 2moa..Thanks alot

emmanuelewumi:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2019
Bonds seems like a legal 419, you buy to make profit but the banks makes more money when you are buying and when you are selling.

The units thing is complicated, the interest rate is complicated, you won't really know when banks try to cheat you, sometimes you get paid 16% and sometimes you get paid 12%.

When you buy from sec market, you have to pay the seller some interests, is there anyone who has held bond to maturity to explain if it was worth it?

zohan101:

She painted a scenario

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2019
zohan101:

She painted a scenario

This scenario you just narrated implies that you can only lose ur capital if you sell b4 maturity. As long as you hold till maturity you won’t lose your capital.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by katamo: 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2019
igbizen:

This scenario you just narrated implies that you can only lose ur capital if you sell b4 maturity. As long as you hold till maturity you won’t lose your capital.
Correct. If you hold until maturity you do not lose any capital.

Let me try to clarify a bit more since it seems people still have a lot of questions. If you sell before maturity there are three things that can happen:

1. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is greater than the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a lower price than you bought

2. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is lower than the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a high price than you bought

3. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is equal to the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a the same price that you bought

The principle is that investors will demand a return that is consistent with what the rate of return the market dictates at any point in time. As an investor, if you can buy a new issuance of 3-yr FGN savings bond at a today's yield of 11.296% (which is the same as the coupon rate since it is a newly issued bond at par), you will pay less for a 10-yr bond with 3 years left to maturity that only pays a coupon of 8% (example 1 above). However, you will be willing to pay more for a 5-yr bond with 3 years left to maturity that pays a coupon of 16% (example 2 above). If the coupon rate on the secondary market bond at the time the bond is sold is equal to the yield (or current coupon on new FGN bonds) you will pay the same price as what you would pay for the new FGN bond (par) since in reality, the payment schedule will be exactly the same as that of a new issuance, that is they are identical from a financial perspective since you are getting the same scheduled interest payments and return of principal at maturity (example 3 above).

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by katamo: 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
Bonds seems like a legal 419, you buy to make profit but the banks makes more money when you are buying and when you are selling.

The units thing is complicated, the interest rate is complicated, you won't really know when banks try to cheat you, sometimes you get paid 16% and sometimes you get paid 12%.

When you buy from sec market, you have to pay the seller some interests, is there anyone who has held bond to maturity to explain if it was worth it?

If you understand bond math nobody can cheat you. If one is investing in these types of instruments it is very important to have a clear understanding of how they are priced and what the underlying investment risks are.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
katamo:

Let me try to clarify a bit more since it seems people still have a lot of questions. If you sell before maturity there are three things that can happen:

1. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is greater than the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a lower price than you bought

2. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is lower than the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a high price than you bought

3. If the interest rate for newly issued similar bonds with the same time until maturity is equal to the coupon rate on your bond you will sell each unit at a the same price that you bought

The principle is that investors will demand a return that is consistent with what the rate of return the market dictates at any point in time. As an investor, if you can buy a new issuance of 3-yr FGN savings bond at a today's yield of 11.296% (which is the same as the coupon rate since it is a newly issued bond at par), you will pay less for a 10-yr bond with 3 years left to maturity that only pays a coupon of 8% (example 1 above). However, you will be willing to pay more for a 5-yr bond with 3 years left to maturity that pays a coupon of 16% (example 2 above). If the coupon rate on the secondary market bond at the time the bond is sold is equal to the yield (or current coupon on new FGN bonds) you will pay the same price as what you would pay for the new FGN bond (par) since in reality, the payment schedule will be exactly the same as that of a new issuance, that is they are identical from a financial perspective since you are getting the same scheduled interest payments and return of principal at maturity (example 3 above).

Thank you very much. It is better investors hold the investment till it matures.

If you can't hold on to maturity, they should try money market funds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 7:42pm On Nov 19, 2019
Countries with lesser population and better economies are importing chicken but Nigeria wants to be "self sufficient"

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:
Many of us who now hide in TB have had our hands burnt in the so called real sector. The problems there are mostly the fact that everyone wants to scam you. Then there is the unfriendly business environment. I think we are not as resilient as the Lebanesse, Indians and Chinese to succeed in hostile business environments.

Those Indians, Chinese and lebaness are crook, if you know the kind of shady deal that is going behind the scene.
They don't pay tax and have perfected the act to circumvent the system. Check their books, they have series of account they maintain, one is perpetually in red/loss that is what they tender for govt scrutiny. If they are producing Alcoholic drink they under declare qty produce so they won't pay actual excise duty fee.
I once had encounter with a Chinese firm, with one visa, they can bring in 40 people into Nigeria and keep them inside one compound.
Our banks also prefer to lend them money without collateral due to their skin color, which they won't do for fellow Nigerians.
If you work for them, you'll always be in debt as they won't pay you living wage and no job security. Lastly they treat Nigerians/staff as rags while thy make billions from our economy. These money are usually repatriated to their country through fraudulent means with the help of unscrupulous bank staff and the like of Monpha and Huspuppi
They can only thrive in a system like ours

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 8:17pm On Nov 19, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

I know Stanbic has a dollar fund, I think Jejebaba has one with them.

FBN Quest and United Capital are the two firms that I am very familiar with and they both have Eurobond funds.

CBN is trying hard to defend the Naira, I wish them the best concerning this

Dear Elder,
Can you shed more light on the cost of maintaining a dollar account, few months back I foresaw current doom in TB plus the looming naira devaluation. But from my investigation it's not cheap to maintain $ account either, series of charges either you deposit, withdraw, transfer or even on investment. This made me shed the idea. If anyone has a first hand information of these cost, I'll be glad to have it

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 8:32pm On Nov 19, 2019
Yes, I was informed today at FBN quest that if one invests in mutual funds Bonds i.e bonds issued by asset management companies e.g FBN quest; the interest rates is not constant, it fluntuates..

However if one invests in FGN Bonds or FGN savings bonds the interest rates are fixed..

TotoNaRubber:

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 8:38pm On Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for your explanation Sir.

But please Can one roll over interest plus capital in bond investments just like it is with treasury bills?

katamo:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 8:45pm On Nov 19, 2019
CBN must increase TB interest rates to match the current inflation, which is caused by the border closure

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:56pm On Nov 19, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

How does one recover shared when the stock brokering company is no longer existing?
I bought ecobank shares in 2007 with quantum securities. Up till 2019 I have not seen any dividends from them. I tried shares again in 2012 using ecl as stock broker, now it looks like they have also gone out of the market. Is there a way to sell those shares? I'd rather a 1% TB that I can see than audio shares money.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by katamo: 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2019
zohan101:
Thanks for your explanation Sir.

But please Can one roll over interest plus capital in bond investments just like it is with treasury bills?

I'm not sure the answer to this but I think it is no - you likely have to complete an application each time your previous investment matures and you want to reinvest. You can ask one of the banks that act as primary dealer market makers to confirm. The list of those back are in the link below:

https://www.dmo.gov.ng/fgn-bonds/primary-dealers-market-makers/2516-list-of-pdmms-as-at-august-01-2018/file

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 10:09pm On Nov 19, 2019
ojesymsym:

How does one recover shared when the stock brokering company is no longer existing?
I bought ecobank shares in 2007 with quantum securities. Up till 2019 I have not seen any dividends from them. I tried shares again in 2012 using ecl as stock broker, now it looks like they have also gone out of the market. Is there a way to sell those shares? I'd rather a 1% TB that I can see than audio shares money.

I bought intercontinental shares some years ago, everything thing was going well, i did receive good dividends back then, suddenly they started bringing dividends worth of 16 naira, the way the cheque will be packaged, you will think I've won a lottery. I've been a forex trader for years, i do liken forex to shares, the instability is a NO for me, my risk appetite now is so low.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:06pm On Nov 19, 2019
TotoNaRubber:

My oga FGN Bonds do not in any where seem to be any legal 419 investment.
Rather it's your lack of understanding that is confusing you.
I have tried severally to explain to you .....but am sorry u still did not understand bond market calculation.

Maybe just try and invest 10k in 3 year bond and hold till maturity it will become clear to you.

I have FGN Bonds that have matured and still maturing in FEB 2020, APRIL 2037.
I have never loose my capital......rather keep getting the coupon payments at the said payment date.

Just hold till maturity....no capital will be loss or sell below the bond offer price before maturity and still make more money from it.
You will only loose some part of your capital when you sell before maturity at offer price above what you initially bought the bond.

Am talking from a practical point as bond investor that has hold till maturity.

Example

I have 12k to buy fgn bond for April 2037 at 16% coupon payments till maturity and I bought the bond for 12% from secondary market. That my 12k may bought me 10k what of the FGN bond since am buying it at 12% instead of the 16%.....meaning the person I bought it from has made 2k from me since his selling at a lower percentage which is 12% if he bought it at 16% from FGN from primary market. .....which I told you earlier that most bonds at primary market are not even sell at that 16% rather below that percentage.

Then I will be getting 16% of 10k bond for 17 years from FGN ...which is N1,600 every year for 17 years which is maturity date ......the FGN will be paying me N800 every 6 months till maturity.

For me after 3 coupon payments. ...which is N2,400....I have recovered the 2k I used to overpay for the bond

So the remaining N1, 600 x 15 years are my gain I hold till maturity (which is N24,000) and at maturity, my 10k I used to buy the bond will be repaid to my account so I have 24k+10k=34k in total.

If I start re-investing every coupon I get to buy the same 17year bond....my coupon payments will keep on increasing. ....you know compound interest.....you can calculate it yourself and know what that compound interest will be ...

If I even want to sell that FGN Bonds 2037 like by 2025 at 9%(below my purchase price of 12%), I will make more money from it because the person buying it from me will pay more to buy that remains bond from me..

If I decide to resale it by 2025 at 15% (above my purchase price of 12%), I will loose some funds from my initial capital.

But for me....like in my NTB investment. ...I hold all till maturity

Don't forget that the only charge your bank will get to help you purchase the bond like the NTB purchase too is (like my bank. ..stanbic. ...N300 for custodian fee + 0.05% of the nominal value of the bond like the example I gave 10k x the number of years of the bond.

I will advise people to buy the FGN Bonds via banks that will charge you 0.05% of your nominal value of the bond. ...because some investment houses charge as high as 0.5 or 1% which maybe too high

I just hope this explanation make sense to you and others so that the issue of bond calculation will be put to rest in this forum.

As NTB interest is low now and many NTB investor are looking for alternative investments, some investment houses or banks or people may even confuse you the more.

NSE is another place u can purchase your dividend paying stocks if you have a high risk appetite like me and others in this forum.

Just be guided in your investments

And may God help us not to be too greedy to loose more funds in time like this. Amen.

As I always say.....SLOW AND STEADY INVESTMENTS WIN THE RACE.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 11:31pm On Nov 19, 2019
ukay2:

I have tried severally to explain to you .....but am sorry u still did not understand bond market calculation.

Maybe just try and invest 10k in 3 year bond and hold till maturity it will become clear to you.

I have never loose my capital......rather keep getting the coupon payments at the said payment date.

Just hold till maturity....no capital will be loss or sell below the bond offer price before maturity and still make more money from it.
You will only loose some part of your capital when you sell before maturity at offer price above what you initially bought the bond.

Example

I have 12k to buy fgn bond for April 2037 at 16% coupon payments till maturity and I bought the bond for 12% from secondary market. That my 12k may bought me 10k what of the FGN bond since am buying it at 12% instead of the 16%.....meaning the person I bought it from has made 2k from me since his selling at a lower percentage which is 12% if he bought it at 16% from FGN from primary market. .....which I told you earlier that most bonds at primary market are not even sell at that 16% rather below that percentage.

Then I will be getting 16% of 10k bond for 17 years from FGN ...which is N1,600 every year for 17 years which is maturity date ......the FGN will be paying me N800 every 6 months till maturity.

For me after 3 coupon payments. ...which is N2,400....I have recovered the 2k I used to overpay for the bond

So the remaining N1, 600 x 15 years are my gain I hold till maturity (which is N24,000) and at maturity, my 10k I used to buy the bond will be repaid to my account so I have 24k+10k=34k in total.

If I start re-investing every coupon I get to buy the same 17year bond....my coupon payments will keep on increasing. ....you know compound interest.....you can calculate it yourself and know what that compound interest will be ...

If I even want to sell that FGN Bonds 2037 like by 2025 at 9%(below my purchase price of 12%), I will make more money from it because the person buying it from me will pay more to buy that remains bond from me..

If I decide to resale it by 2025 at 15% (above my purchase price of 12%), I will loose some funds from my initial capital.

Don't forget that the only charge your bank will get to help you purchase the bond like the NTB purchase too is (like my bank. ..stanbic. ...N300 for custodian fee + 0.05% of the nominal value of the bond like the example I gave 10k x the number of years of the bond.

I will advise people to buy the FGN Bonds via banks that will charge you 0.05% of your nominal value of the bond. ...because some investment houses charge as high as 0.5 or 1% which maybe too high

I just hope this explanation make sense to you and others so that the issue of bond calculation will be put to rest in this forum.

As NTB interest is low now and many NTB investor are looking for alternative investments, some investment houses or banks or people may even confuse you the more.

NSE is another place u can purchase your dividend paying stocks if you have a high risk appetite like me and others in this forum.

And may God help us not to be too greedy to loose more funds in time like this. Amen.

Very explicit. Thanks for taking ur time.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by greenlilly(m): 4:54am On Nov 20, 2019
Good day, Axa Mansard investment team sent me this response to a treasury bill investment enquiry. What is your take?

Good day Sir,

Thanks for your mail.

Treasury Bills rates have been taking a down turn. This is due to a CBN circular that now prohibits the purchase of treasury bills for individuals and local companies.

The Treasury bills available for sale are the Nigerian Treasury bills offered by the Debt Management office (DMO). The auction for these bills are held every two weeks and the rates for the recently concluded auction are below;

Tenor(Days)

DR

Yield (Net)

7.80%

6.900%

9.00%

8.370%

10.00%

10.060%

Please reach out for further clarifications.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:45am On Nov 20, 2019
ojesymsym:

Go to CSCS with your means of identification and evidence of having the shares.

Your shares will be transferred to another firm
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 5:55am On Nov 20, 2019
Ok I see,
Let me go over this again with you, In the example you have using N12k to buy bonds at 16% coupon payments and you bought the bonds at 12% at the secondary market.

The N12k should have bought you N10k of FGN bond worth?

So to elaborate on this, how do you know paying N12k only buy N10k worth of bonds?

I'm wondering how the overpayment for bonds is calculated.
Thanks

ukay2:

Example
That my 12k may bought me 10k what of the FGN bond since am buying it at 12% instead of the 16%.....meaning the person I bought it from has made 2k from me since his selling at a lower percentage which is 12% if he bought it at 16% from FGN from primary market. .....which I told you earlier that most bonds at primary market are not even sell at that 16% rather below that percentage.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kings11ng(m): 7:14am On Nov 20, 2019
chigo4u:

6.2%? Really.
How is cbn gonna fight inflation now with the ban on OMO bills and low tbills rate while at the same time defending naira against dollar? grin grin grin
Economic wonders grin
vodoonomics

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:27am On Nov 20, 2019
Can simple email solve this? After all I have cscs number. By cscs did you mean NSE?
emmanuelewumi:

Go to CSCS with your means of identification and evidence of having the shares.

Your shares will be transferred to another firm
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by U1(m): 8:38am On Nov 20, 2019
Good morning, sirs and madams. There are a couple of things I have been finding confusing and I wish someone could explain to me.

1. Do secondary market treasury bills attract higher charges?

I read somewhere on this thread where feelamong wrote:

'CBN approved 3 charges for Tbills Auction

Transaction Charge - 0.125% of the Earned Interest

Custody Fee - 0.1% of the Face value *no of days the Tbills is held in a year

Some Banks also charge N100 service charge per transaction'

In the post, he mentioned that a 91-day bill transaction worth N1 million would attract less than N400 in total charges.

But I have been repeatedly charged well more than N1,000 in total for an investment of about 400-450k for over a year now. Do different rates apply to secondary market bills?

2. Is there a way to recover investment through a custodian, if a bank one made a treasury bills investment through packs up? (Not praying any bank should go out of business, though).

Please enlighten me on these aspects. Thanks.

CC feelamong, emmanuelewumi, ukay2
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:12am On Nov 20, 2019
ukay2:

Example

Gbam. This is also my guiding principle.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:29am On Nov 20, 2019
All this talk about bonds in not sweeting me at all.

Am in love with that upfront interest on TB, nothing beats that.

My anger is not even the 8-10% on TB it's the prorating.

As a business man I need to be liquid.....cant afford to lock down huge capital for 3-5 yrs(20m &above). When anything can come up.

Watching the market daily....TB it is

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 9:52am On Nov 20, 2019
zamirikpo:
All this talk about bonds in not sweeting me at all.

Am in love with that upfront interest on TB, nothing beats that.

My anger is not even the 8-10% on TB it's the prorating.

As a business man I need to be liquid.....cant afford to lock down huge capital for 3-5 yrs(20m &above). When anything can come up.

Watching the market daily....TB it is

Same here lol, been reading to see if I would understand this bond thing but not yet, the whole thing is not adding up yet lol. I think I’ll wait for tbills while I focus on stanbic dollar fund for now. Without the prorating thing I would just stick to 91 days tenor with the low rates until it improves

(1) (2) (3) ... (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: SetrakusRa(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.