Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,649 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (968) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4428935 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 12:51am On Nov 21, 2019
needful:

Use stanbic brokers if u wanna do FG bond and u can create the account online. Right now, they have 2yrs secondary market Fg bond and 3yrs.

Goodluck.
I thought that's Fg savings bond?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 1:43am On Nov 21, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
no offense we are all learning so I like real experience....i said I will buy land 10m build 30m 4 apartment house rent out 3 for 1m each ,reside in 1 (I can design it to have my personal space ,gate separate with tenate total investment 40m will sell the house for 80m in 8 year time (speculating ) may 60m +24m (accrued rent ) 84m +8m (saving from my rents ) =92m ....-40m =profit 52m.....
boss i have a question for you.

I want to embark on a building project. I have two options but not too sure which is best for business.
Building a 20 room self contain on a storey building or building a 30 room self contain on a two storey building?

Considering the cost of building a 2 storey vs building a one storey building.

Note:half plot 50ftx100ft, in the area is only 2.5m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Logictinz: 3:16am On Nov 21, 2019
emmanuelewumi:
Just got another money market fund from FSDH Asset Management at 12.2%. The returns will fluctuate between 10.5% and 12% for the next 4 months until when their Treasury Bills mature

I heard FSDH Group gives a better interest rate than those banks them in TB, is this true?

Though my main worry is if FSDH Group is where one can invest in ie put your money and have peace that it’s safe. Reason I am asking is because I don’t come across FSDH Group here frequently.

Please experts in the House I need your experience, biko.... I can’t come n loose my money.

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 3:47am On Nov 21, 2019
ukay2:

My oga FGN Bonds do not in any where seem to be any legal 419 investment.
Rather it's your lack of understanding that is confusing you.
I have tried severally to explain to you .....but am sorry u still did not understand bond market calculation.

Maybe just try and invest 10k in 3 year bond and hold till maturity it will become clear to you.

I have FGN Bonds that have matured and still maturing in FEB 2020, APRIL 2037.
I have never loose my capital......rather keep getting the coupon payments at the said payment date.

Just hold till maturity....no capital will be loss or sell below the bond offer price before maturity and still make more money from it.
You will only loose some part of your capital when you sell before maturity at offer price above what you initially bought the bond.

Am talking from a practical point as bond investor that has hold till maturity.

Example

I have 12k to buy fgn bond for April 2037 at 16% coupon payments till maturity and I bought the bond for 12% from secondary market. That my 12k may bought me 10k what of the FGN bond since am buying it at 12% instead of the 16%.....meaning the person I bought it from has made 2k from me since his selling at a lower percentage which is 12% if he bought it at 16% from FGN from primary market. .....which I told you earlier that most bonds at primary market are not even sell at that 16% rather below that percentage.

Then I will be getting 16% of 10k bond for 17 years from FGN ...which is N1,600 every year for 17 years which is maturity date ......the FGN will be paying me N800 every 6 months till maturity.

For me after 3 coupon payments. ...which is N2,400....I have recovered the 2k I used to overpay for the bond

So the remaining N1, 600 x 15 years are my gain I hold till maturity (which is N24,000) and at maturity, my 10k I used to buy the bond will be repaid to my account so I have 24k+10k=34k in total.

If I start re-investing every coupon I get to buy the same 17year bond....my coupon payments will keep on increasing. ....you know compound interest.....you can calculate it yourself and know what that compound interest will be ...

If I even want to sell that FGN Bonds 2037 like by 2025 at 9%(below my purchase price of 12%), I will make more money from it because the person buying it from me will pay more to buy that remains bond from me..

If I decide to resale it by 2025 at 15% (above my purchase price of 12%), I will loose some funds from my initial capital.

But for me....like in my NTB investment. ...I hold all till maturity

Don't forget that the only charge your bank will get to help you purchase the bond like the NTB purchase too is (like my bank. ..stanbic. ...N300 for custodian fee + 0.05% of the nominal value of the bond like the example I gave 10k x the number of years of the bond.

I will advise people to buy the FGN Bonds via banks that will charge you 0.05% of your nominal value of the bond. ...because some investment houses charge as high as 0.5 or 1% which maybe too high

I just hope this explanation make sense to you and others so that the issue of bond calculation will be put to rest in this forum.

As NTB interest is low now and many NTB investor are looking for alternative investments, some investment houses or banks or people may even confuse you the more.

Thanks a lot!!!!! But is it possible to ever get at par and how can we quickly know when this is available.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Generalmerchant: 4:24am On Nov 21, 2019
Kindly confirm if it's Stanbic ibtc stockbrokers you meant. I just started the account opening process. The opening deposit is 5m. But I want to be sure they can buy FGN bonds and not stock.
[Aquote author=needful post=84217147]

Use stanbic brokers if u wanna do FG bond and u can create the account online. Right now, they have 2yrs secondary market Fg bond and 3yrs.

Goodluck.[/quote]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 5:04am On Nov 21, 2019
Generalmerchant:
Kindly confirm if it's Stanbic ibtc stockbrokers you meant. I just started the account opening process. The opening deposit is 5m. But I want to be sure they can buy FGN bonds and not stock.
[Aquote author=needful post=84217147]

Goodluck.

Yes go for the account strictly for bond. The account opening fee for that one is 100,000 but the minimum to buy the bond is 20m. The 5m is for stocks, so u have to indicate what u want. Their brokerage fee is also good and cheaper than others(0.0007%).

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:05am On Nov 21, 2019
Logictinz:

I heard FSDH Group gives a better interest rate than those banks them in TB, is this true?

Though my main worry is if FSDH Group is where one can invest in ie put your money and have peace that it’s safe. Reason I am asking is because I don’t come across FSDH Group here frequently.

Please experts in the House I need your experience, biko.... I can’t come n loose my money.

Thanks

It is a Merchant Bank. These are the following Merchant Banks in Nigeria

FBN Quest Merchant Bank

FSDH Merchant Bank

Coronation Merchant.

Due to the nature of their business model, they usually have about 3 branches in Nigeria.

You will need a minimum of N20 million to buy Treasury Bills in some of these banks, but with 10k or thereabout you can buy their money market fund

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 5:06am On Nov 21, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
I thought that's Fg savings bond?

They have secondary market bond of 2yrs, 3yrs, and above. Its FG Bond not savings ooo.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Witches: 7:22am On Nov 21, 2019
Nigsrdumb:
After several dealings with fbnquest, my suggestion is to avoid them completely if you want to invest in bonds , stanbic bank is better.

Was at stanbic to make enquiry abt the SIBTC dollar fund, but the CS seems novice,

Is capital guaranteed? Or price fluctuate ?
Was told i can't make a cash deposit , it has to be transfer , am trying to avoid transfer charges .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:07am On Nov 21, 2019
Thisnut:
boss i have a question for you.

I want to embark on a building project. I have two options but not too sure which is best for business.
Building a 20 room self contain on a storey building or building a 30 room self contain on a two storey building?

Considering the cost of building a 2 storey vs building a one storey building.

Note:half plot 50ftx100ft, in the area is only 2.5m.
what the rental income of each units..what the demand in the area ?this will determine your move ....exampld 30 self contain in surulere Lagos will rent out in days b4 completetion

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 8:52am On Nov 21, 2019
Witches:

Was at stanbic to make enquiry abt the SIBTC dollar fund, but the CS seems novice,

Was told i can't make a cash deposit , it has to be transfer , am trying to avoid transfer charges .
Your moniker though, Hian, witches, Hahaha, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, like seriously grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Witches: 10:10am On Nov 21, 2019
AngelicBeing:
Your moniker though, Hian, witches, Hahaha, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, like seriously grin

We The witches are not the problem of nairaland or nigeria ,we are as a nation,a failed one.

Let conc. On T.B

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:25am On Nov 21, 2019
Nigerian is a shitty nation and inflation and cost it crazy ....my friend that is working for Nigerian govt for 11 years is on salary of 120k on grade level 12 he told me he started in 2008 with a salary of 37k on level 8 ..in 2008 dollars was 105..so he was earning 350 dollars now 11 years after he earn 120k /360 = 333 dollars ....so in space of 11 years with a master degree salary is still within 350 band.....this breed corruption and the nation is not realist ....but he told me is oga the head moved from 190k to 900 k per month (including several perk)

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 10:25am On Nov 21, 2019
Witches:

We The witches are not the problem of nairaland or nigeria ,we are as a nation,a failed one.

Let conc. On T.B

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 10:31am On Nov 21, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Nigerian is a shitty nation and inflation and cost it crazy ....my friend that is working for Nigerian govt for 11 years is on salary of 120k on grade level 12 he told me he started in 2008 with a salary of 37k on level 8 ..in 2008 dollars was 105..so he was earning 350 dollars now 11 years after he earn 120k /360 = 333 dollars ....so in space of 11 years with a master degree salary is still within 350 band.....this breed corruption and the nation is not realist ....but he told me is oga the head moved from 190k to 900 k per month (including several perk)
I think with this your post l will agree with a co- landlord of mine who vammoosed to England finally around May 2018, I still have a copy of his visa on my phone, he worked with LASG for 15 years on a salary less than 150k, and I didn't believe it when he told me he earns less than 150k / per month in Nigeria, he left Nigeria out of frustration and a politician sitting in Abuja making useless satanic laws that has crippled the destiny of Nigeria is collecting egunje from multiple streams of corrupt channels like constituency allowance / padded budget / proxy contracts etc to the tune of a minimum of between 30 to 50 million Naira monthly shocked

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fanpaul2: 12:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
Maybe O wealth and alat is the way now you get 10%pa and pay 10% of interest as tax which brings you basically back to 9% pa the advantage is you can cash your money anytime without losing the interest I use to keep spendable funds inside but now with TB going down I might have to increase my investment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Logictinz: 12:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Thank you sir for the information. So funny I didn’t no about them... I was considering opening an account with them but was just scared of my capital since I dont hear much about them.

In that case I think I may visit the bank for an account opening.

Thank you again.

It is a Merchant Bank. These are the following Merchant Banks in Nigeria

FBN Quest Merchant Bank

FSDH Merchant Bank

Coronation Merchant.

Due to the nature of their business model, they usually have about 3 branches in Nigeria.

You will need a minimum of N20 million to buy Treasury Bills in some of these banks, but with 10k or thereabout you can buy their money market fund
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Witches:

Stanbic is better to deal with via email. Contact their asset management team , very efficient.

They opened my account within a day and sent me all the paperwork .

Your capital is not guaranteed to stay the same , it will fluctuate based on interest rates which determines the bid price of the bond.

If interest rates go up , your bond value price goes down and vice versa.

However in a dollar bond fund I think the interest rates are quite stable, also you will earn from re invested dividends which will serve as a cushion in the event of interest rate fluctuations.

It's a long time strategy , where you can drip feed your funds and benefit from dollar cost averaging.

I'm risking it anyway.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 2:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
needful:

Goodluck.

Please can you throw more light on creating the account online and possibly the link.

Note* I have an account with Stanbic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

Stanbic is better to deal with via email. Contact their asset management team , very efficient.

They opened my account within a day and sent me all the paperwork .

Your capital is not guaranteed to stay the same , it will fluctuate based on interest rates which determines the bid price of the bond.

If interest rates go up , your bond value price goes down and vice versa.

However in a dollar bond fund I think the interest rates are quite stable, also you will earn from re invested dividends which will serve as a cushion in the event of interest rate fluctuations.

It's a long time strategy , where you can drip feed your funds and benefit from dollar cost averaging.

I'm risking it anyway.
Stanbic dollar fund is not same as Eurobond, it’s like mutual fund in dollars so I think capital stays the same

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
chigo4u:

Stanbic dollar fund is not same as Eurobond, it’s like mutual fund in dollars so I think capital stays the same

They're both bond funds meaning a collection of foreign denominated bonds.

They buy from eurobonds.

Yes the bond price may fall or rise ( if you sell b4 d maturity date) , it says it on the prospectus for both fbnquest eurobond and stanbic dollar fund.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
Nakedman:

Please can you throw more light on creating the account online and possibly the link.

Note* I have an account with Stanbic.

Send a mail here. stockbroking@stanbicibtc.com

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
needful:

Send a mail here. stockbroking@stanbicibtc.com

Okay. Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bbbwings: 4:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
richforever123:
Please is mutual fund a safe investment, have there been any report of people losing their capital, if yes what are the return and how can one go about it
Thanks for your kind response
That person invested in equity mutual fund
To have rest of mind, be sure it is money market fund and no other.especially if youre using Axamansard
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
Bbbwings:

That person invested in equity mutual fund
To have rest of mind, be sure it is money market fund and no other.especially if youre using Axamansard

I really appreciate your kind response, for mutual funds is it a possibility that I can withdraw the proceeds monthly?
I really appreciate your feedback, thanks so much
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 5:08pm On Nov 21, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
dipoolowoo:
Ghana Lures Treasury Bills Investors With 18% Rate
https://businesspost.ng/economy/ghana-lures-treasury-bills-investors-with-18-rate/

How can one go about investing in this
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 5:43pm On Nov 21, 2019
richforever123:

Go to Ghana, get all the required documents and open a bank account then start investing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 5:43pm On Nov 21, 2019
Have you heard about the saying "put your money where your mouth is".

There are complications with financial investments, if you don't live in or are not from the country where you intend to invest, don't do it.

The stress you will go through when there is a problem will threaten the return of capital.

Invest in Nigeria where you can attend to any complications within 24 hours.

richforever123:

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
I wonder the what is the real value of naira right now
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
Have you heard about the saying "put your money where your mouth is".

There are complications with financial investments, if you don't live in or are not from the country where you intend to invest, don't do it.

The stress you will go through when there is a problem will threaten the return of capital.

Invest in Nigeria where you can attend to any complications within 24 hours.

what about fdi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.