Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,240 members, 7,829,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (995) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4458523 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2019
chigo4u:

How do you mean forex rates is getting better?

When I changed euros a couple of months back it was 420 now it's 393 , meaning if I held on to my euro it would have lost some value.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:11pm On Dec 12, 2019
You bought when price where unstable
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 8:15pm On Dec 12, 2019
damilola1978:
which bank?

Access Bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cmoney22222: 8:52pm On Dec 12, 2019
E bi like say stanbic primary bill didn’t go thru yestiday. Any one got debited already?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
We have to take it easy with the CBN governor. The CBN governor is like the account officer to the fg. That means he is to act in their best interest. TB is one instrument at their disposal so if they feel that the loan bill is getting too much, it makes sense from the position of the fg to want to reduce it. As citizens we take advantage of such instruments depending on the direction it is going.
We should not forget that has to ensure the general health of the economy is treated with the right medication they seem fit. It is not the same medication you use for headache that you will use for migraine,not the type of solution you use in year 1 that you must use in year 2. Seriously from the position of the CBN, think about it, if guys are still subscribing at 6% , what is the incentive for wanting to pay any body 18% when there is still high demand.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:18pm On Dec 12, 2019
healthserve:

Elder. I trust your week has been bullish

You have very strong valid points. I think the crucial factor is scarce knowledge in complex econometrics has become common. And this has led to massive inflows into tbills above comfotbale levels Sir.I.e your ability to be discerning in understanding alternates and having a backup plan though impressive is only known by a few.

Realistically, I agreed with all your points Sir. Except the part the CBN governor is bashed. Take it easy o. Shey you know you're gunning for statesmanship position.... grin If we keep calling out Mr. Ahib, it just might get to you... grin

That was pure pun, don't take me too serious... Anyway like you said earlier boss its just a trend, if the market movement becomes undesirable, I feel and believe, the best thing to do is stand down, reserve funds in account and enter at a more favorable time. If the government has adequate financial resources to execute it needs, it won't be reasonable to keep pushing for investor finds thru tbills

More importantly, if the rates on tbills are kept at a fixed rate let's say for ten years in a roll, it can create a get-rich-quick mentality where investors would seek out funds just to make some tbills profit instead of investing resources that were the proceeds from business transactions. All in all, I believe this administration for the first is on the path to intuitive economics handling and we should beat the drum of support behind them.

We're all on this ship o
Can people really get rich quick from Tbills? At what percentage?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 9:20pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Can people really get rich quick from Tbills? At what percentage?

" The Mentality ", Reality vs Lucid Dreams/Illusions
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:25pm On Dec 12, 2019
healthserve:

" The Mentality ", Reality vs Lucid Dreams/Illusions
People can not "get rich quick" from Tbills. Infact, tbills has nothing to do with get rich quick.

With tbills, you get rich very, very slowly but surely.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 9:27pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
People can not "get rich quick" from Tbills. Infact, tbills has nothing to do with get rich quick.

You don't get the point I passed across Sir. Read calmly it'll come to you. Behind almost every financial mismanagement on earth is the illusion " I can make this and that ", albeit reality often proves the contrary, but then financial rascality would have already caused problems that merely came out from " false reality ".

Its this mindset... I spoke about Sir

Trust me I've meet persons with billions of unds in their care in this country.. Who were looking for just 2-3% in a year.. These guys were pleading on how to push this funds to make at least 1-3% in a year before they remitted the funds .

See there are many agencies that keep funds in peoples care without requesting for audit reports every now and then.

This is a get-rich-quick mentality
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:

It depends on how rich you were before investing in tbills.

If you put 100 million at 17 percent true yield, you would have pocketed a cool 34 million in two years without lifting a finger.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 9:31pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

If you put 100 million at 17 percent true yield, you would have pocketed a cool 34 million in two years without lifting a finger.

And this could be done with funds under one's financial management without even being the proper owner of such funds.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:31pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

The focus is on "get rich quick"

Someone with 100m is not getting rich quick by making 34m a year from his 100m investment.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 9:34pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:

The focus is on illusion in my posts. That if the market is predictable for example over a duration, this can lead to a mindset... And this is one of the reasons the market should be unpredictable. Allow me say you kept 1 billion under my care and I know you won't be in the country for three years, using the funds for example tbills though legitimate and not remitting the funds is get rich quick mentality.

Work the maths

34 million returns in a year isn't small. Deduct the assumed profit from the 100m and see if that isn't one third.

Doesn't imply a tbiller is financially greedy. I directed my comments towards " the greedy mindset " of an uninformed and assuming investor
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:

Someone with 100m is not getting rich quick by making 34m a year from his 100m investment.

I'm not sure where in the world you can get that type of return. The s and p 500 which tracks major companies has historically returned 8 to 10 percent.

Unless you want to do yahoo yahoo, I don't know what else qualifies has getting rich quickly.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

I'm not sure where in the world you can get that type of return. The s and p 500 which tracks major companies has historically returned 8 to 10 percent.

Unless you want to do yahoo yahoo, I don't know what else qualifies has getting rich quickly.

The average importer at Alaba international market is getting nothing less than 50% returns less than a year in most cases.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
The average importer at Alaba international market is getting nothing less than 50% returns less than a year in most cases.

Off course business is better, but we are talking about passive income.free hands off money

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:59pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

ghana is paying 18

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

Off course business is better, but we are talking about passive income.free hands off money
what you should understand is that, your money has the power to work for you.

I introduced tbills to a friend. The rate was 14% then, he shouted "God forbid!". He is into real estate.

I have companies but 70% of the time I'm not there. Yet, I can boast of 60% returns. Would you still call that "free hands off money"?

If I were broke, I would probably be in someone's office working my ass off and generating money for a boss who might be somewhere playing golf.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
what you should understand is that, your money has the power to work for you.

I introduced tbills to a friend. The rate was 14% then, he shouted "God forbid!". He is into real estate.

I have companies but 70% of the time I'm not there. Yet, I can boast of 60% returns. Would you still call that "free hands off money"?

It depends, if you already have a well paid salary, tb is risk free money, business isn't.

Whilst you may make 60 percent someone else lost 10 percent.

So it's all relative

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by biggal: 11:16pm On Dec 12, 2019
Diyke4rich:

Explain more in details I bought ecobank share in 2009 though it was a small unit since 2009 till now I have not receive any dividend

Seems we are in the same shoe mine was 2008., pls let me know if u find any solution
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 12:04am On Dec 13, 2019
What was the lure for ecobank shares in 2008, coz I too bought that year with no single dividends to show for my effort. I wonder if the thing even appreciated and to make matters worse am not sure the company I bought from still exist.
biggal:

Seems we are in the same shoe mine was 2008., pls let me know if u find any solution
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by innocentjiale(m): 6:07am On Dec 13, 2019
ojesymsym:
Still functioning. Just got 112 days secondary for 6% a few minutes ago at 11:35. This is 11:40 now. I had another option for 63 days at 5%.
What I did, I took the phone number of the person that received my filled form because at the time I filled there was none available. So from time to time I kept calling from time to time to prompt the person to check, don't forget they are also busy and won't remember to do that for you without the very polite prompting.
My experience in life is that simple cordiality and respect gets things done.

thks...

I have fixed the money since tb was giving me tough time
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tumbulum: 7:58am On Dec 13, 2019
innocentjiale:
thks...

I have fixed the money since tb was giving me tough time
what rate did they give you ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 8:41am On Dec 13, 2019
Hmmmmmmmmm 5% of total rent?
Jejebabaa:

Boss, y are u still dealing with all these tenants. Your health and life are priority. Give those properties to real estate companies like Jide Taiwo and co among others. They will charge you just 5% if you can negotiate well and your sanity will be intact. This is exactly what I did, I cant be dealing with tenants and their wahala.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cmoney22222: 9:57am On Dec 13, 2019
Last tbill bill for stanbic for 365 days wasn’t successful. Next bid on the 18th
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 10:26am On Dec 13, 2019
cmoney22222:
Last tbill bill for stanbic for 365 days wasn’t successful. Next bid on the 18th

You mean the next Primary Market bid is 18th?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:27am On Dec 13, 2019
Having a win/win situation and a healthy debt markets where the Nigeria state will not go under cos of debt servicing and fixed income investors will not crowded out ...this equilibrium must be found .....this i think is the rate above inflation (economically )
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 10:33am On Dec 13, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Having a win/win situation and a healthy debt markets where the Nigeria state will not go under cos of debt servicing and fixed income investors will not crowded out ...this equilibrium must be found .....this i think is the rate above inflation (economically )

I learnt the CBN opened itself up seeking for think-tanks on financial management.. I. E for people with ideas.. The gates were flunged open middle 2018. I think the emerging generation needs to consider itself worthy and fit for service and step up to the front line.

My source is hard metal

I urge the younger generation to not discount on such opportunities if it avails itself again in the future. Honestly, from the imprints on the wall, we have alot to offer
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:05am On Dec 13, 2019
ahiboilandgas:

What bugs me the most isn't even the low rates, below inflation figures but how easily they can just decide to turn things around. Verifiable parameters are supposed to guide our economy not faulty quick fix ideas.

Low TB rates should mean a strong/stable economy. How do explain our low TB rates.

How long can the cbn continue to support the naira artificially. So many questions with no answers.

The answers are more political than economic.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 11:15am On Dec 13, 2019
zamirikpo:

What bugs me the most isn't even the low rates, below inflation figures but how easily they can just decide to turn things around. Verifiable parameters are supposed to guide our economy not faulty quick fix ideas.

Low TB rates should mean a strong/stable economy. How do explain our low TB rates.

How long can the cbn continue to support the naira artificially. So many questions with no answers.

The answers are more political than economic.
the last cbn employment was a very nepotic list and based on man no man
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 11:19am On Dec 13, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

When I changed euros a couple of months back it was 420 now it's 393 , meaning if I held on to my euro it would have lost some value.
So does that mean forex is getting better? Today it’s 394, while dollar which pegged at 358 for months now is now 359 and I expect it to gain further in coming days like Ahib mentioned
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cmoney22222: 11:29am On Dec 13, 2019
Na so cs call me tell me this morning. But I still have to confirm
Nakedman:

You mean the next Primary Market bid is 18th?

(1) (2) (3) ... (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.