Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,410 members, 7,830,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) (22574 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation / Derivation And Deprivation II: The Ill-gotten Wealth Of Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by nduchucks: 3:24am On Mar 06, 2012
ekt_bear:
Na wa o

So this is why fulanis like ndu_chucks believe in "one Naijeriya" at all costs?

Which one of those oil blocks does your family have an interest in, alhaji?

It suffices to say here that capitalism is not intrinsically evil. Being a capitalist does not mandate one to be a philanthropist, period.

If people legitimately invest in oil blocks risking millions of dollars, when their exploration activities yield fruit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of ones labour.

ekt_bear, you of all people are not known to espouse communist ideals. Some of the people you are jealous of and are vilifying provide employment to hundreds of thousands of you people. Many give out hundreds of millions to charities and NGOs. You people should focus on your state governments and demand accountability from your governors. Leave these legitimate capitalists and business men alone.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Beaf: 3:32am On Mar 06, 2012
^
I wonder why capitalism has not created rampant clouds of almajiri's in the South and Middle Belt? Hmmmm!
I'm also wondering why there is no boko haram in places like Ekiti and Ebonyin; or is there something in the kunu capitalists in the core-North drink that they can manufacture astonishing amounts of death, misery, disease, illiteracy, poverty and terrorism? Even amongst their kinsmen?

Do capitalists demand more awuf oil money as ransome, else they wipe out their own women and children with bombs? Or have them gunned down in the market place?

It would seem that such capitalists who make twice as much as all ND states, yet live in houses with goldplated walls amidst indescribable penury and squalor are better called locusts, vampires, blood suckers and parasites.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by nduchucks: 4:10am On Mar 06, 2012
Beaf:

^
I wonder why capitalism has not created rampant clouds of almajiri's in the South and Middle Belt? Hmmmm!
I'm also wondering why there is no boko haram in places like Ekiti and Ebonyin; or is there something in the kunu capitalists in the core-North drink that they can manufacture astonishing amounts of death, misery, disease, illiteracy, poverty and terrorism? Even amongst their kinsmen?

Do capitalists demand more awuf oil money as ransome, else they wipe out their own women and children with bombs? Or have them gunned down in the market place?

It would seem that such capitalists who make twice as much as all ND states, yet live in houses with goldplated walls amidst indescribable penury and squalor are better called locusts, vampires, blood suckers and parasites.

If you want to discuss poverty alleviation and why it has failed all across the country, you can open a separate thread to discuss that. Similarly if your passion is the plight of the Almajiris, please feel free to open a thread to discuss that as well.

Your typical cop out and manner of muddling up issues to confuse people who have offered superior logic in addressing particular issues will not be tolerated here. Where is your specific disagreement with any part of my post? The people you are demonizing here are legitimate businessmen who own oil blocks and are creating jobs for Nigerians by the thousands. They have done nothing wrong by practicing capitalism.

Please name names, if you know of individuals who are demanding awuf money as you put it. I will not defend such people. You should join me in encouraging capitalists in our society.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by ektbear: 4:17am On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It suffices to say here that capitalism is not intrinsically evil. Being a capitalist does not mandate one to be a philanthropist, period.

If people legitimately invest in oil blocks risking millions of dollars, when their exploration activities yield fruit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of ones labour.

ekt_bear, you of all people are not known to espouse communist ideals. Some of the people you are jealous of and are vilifying provide employment to hundreds of thousands of you people. Many give out hundreds of millions to charities and NGOs. You people should focus on your state governments and demand accountability from your governors. Leave these legitimate capitalists and business men alone.

You miss the point. I am not an advocate of communism. The point is, given that your family owns Niger Delta oil blocks, I see why you are personally so strongly against Nigeria's inevitable division. It puts your family assets at risk grin

Hehehe
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by blacklion(m): 4:31am On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The people you are demonizing here are legitimate businessmen who own oil blocks and are creating jobs for Nigerians by the thousands. They have done nothing wrong by practicing capitalism.

BS in the highest degree. The people being criticized are parasites who were awarded oil blocks by northern military dictators as war booty and political loot. They are pure leeches reaping where they did not sow and their briefcase crude oil trading outfits are creating employment only for the almajiris they hire to unleash death and terror in the North periodically to show the southerners who is the boss in Nigeria.

Its high time to divide the country and lets see how these Boko Haram sponsoring leeches and parasites will survive without any Gen. Mohammed and Brigadier Musa to award them Niger Delta war booty.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by ektbear: 4:33am On Mar 06, 2012
I honestly don't begrudge you and your family your ill-begotten wealth, ndu_chucks. Probably if I'd been in the same situation, I'd have done the same thing.

However, just as I don't begrudge you, neither should you begrudge those who seek a reckoning grin cheesy

If I were you guys, I would look to begin liquidating those assets in the ND asap. Convert into hard currency which you can then hide away somewhere in Europe.

A word is enough for the wise wink
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by nduchucks: 4:52am On Mar 06, 2012
ekt_bear:

I honestly don't begrudge you and your family your ill-begotten wealth, ndu_chucks. Probably if I'd been in the same situation, I'd have done the same thing.

However, just as I don't begrudge you, neither should you begrudge those who seek a reckoning grin cheesy

If I were you guys, I would look to begin liquidating those assets in the ND asap. Convert into hard currency which you can then hide away somewhere in Europe.

A word is enough for the wise wink

You are typically not the type to personalize issues, you normally use good logic and analysis before commenting on most issues. You are starting to allow bigotry get in your way and that is quite unfortunate.

Many of you people are gong ho about oil blocks located miles and miles away from the shores of Nigeria. How such asset is located in ND is beyond comprehension. Most inland oil blocks in the ND are no longer productive, Shell has already sucked them dry. Why don't you people ask your elders in the area why they took hush monies from these companies instead of demanding accountability?

For those issuing threats, your threats are quite empty. Bunch of lazy fools. If I invest millions of dollars and find oil, who are you to say I should not enjoy the fruits of my capitalist labour? If I don't find oil after spending millions, do you compensate me? Leave capitalists alone, move to North Korea if you hate capitalism.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by ektbear: 5:17am On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks, nothing in my commentary is about bigotry or bias.

Like I said, I understand the motivations of those like you and your family who obtained oil blocks under mysterious circumstances, and I also understand those who seek to correct this.

Look, I'm a relatively independent observer in all of this. . . my family has no oil wealth whatsoever.

Regarding off-shore oil, those waters belong to the land associated with them. I assume that you are familiar with the law of the sea?

Anything in those waters belongs to the relevant states, not to Nigeria as a whole.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by LloydAchi(m): 3:05pm On Mar 06, 2012
Ndu_chuks, just shut it there. Those oil block, did they bid for them or just allocated/given/shared among the thieves that called themselves military rulers of Northern extraction? Nonsense capitalism. You shared Nigerian/Niger delta wealth among yourselves and you have the audacity to come here and claim capitalism. There will be a day of reckoning someday. They unleash Boko Haram and almajiries on us and think it will be well with them.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Beaf: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are typically not the type to personalize issues, you normally use good logic and analysis before commenting on most issues. You are starting to allow bigotry get in your way and that is quite unfortunate.

Many of you people are gong ho about oil blocks located miles and miles away from the shores of Nigeria. How such asset is located in ND is beyond comprehension. Most inland oil blocks in the ND are no longer productive, Shell has already sucked them dry. Why don't you people ask your elders in the area why they took hush monies from these companies instead of demanding accountability?

For those issuing threats, your threats are quite empty. Bunch of lazy fools. If I invest millions of dollars and find oil, who are you to say I should not enjoy the fruits of my capitalist labour? If I don't find oil after spending millions, do you compensate me? Leave capitalists alone, move to North Korea if you hate capitalism.

They "invested?" shocked shocked shocked
Damn!

I bet you would argue that the thieves who masquerade as police men to man N20 roadblocks are business men too. You would tell us that they are capitalists. No?

A thief is a thief. And those people are thieves, manning stolen oil blocks. They are thieves, vampires, hyena's and demons.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Beaf: 3:20pm On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

If you want to discuss poverty alleviation and why it has failed all across the country, you can open a separate thread to discuss that. Similarly if your passion is the plight of the Almajiris, please feel free to open a thread to discuss that as well.

Your typical cop out and manner of muddling up issues to confuse people who have offered superior logic in addressing particular issues will not be tolerated here. Where is your specific disagreement with any part of my post? The people you are demonizing here are legitimate businessmen who own oil blocks and are creating jobs for Nigerians by the thousands. They have done nothing wrong by practicing capitalism.

Please name names, if you know of individuals who are demanding awuf money as you put it. I will not defend such people. You should join me in encouraging capitalists in our society.

With due respect, you are chatting shiit.
Keep up your strident defence of thieves, murderers and rap!sts. It is evident that you do not care one bit if the almajiri is driven to exist like a crawling thing, so long as you can enjoy blood money, drinking champagne from cups of pure gold and living in a house with goldplated walls.

Quite clearly, Lucifer is a Nigerian.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by blacklion(m): 3:27pm On Mar 06, 2012
Beaf:

Quite clearly, Lucifer is a Nigerian.

, and his name is ndu chucks
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by cheikh: 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks
Where is your specific disagreement with any part of my post? The people you are demonizing here are legitimate businessmen who own oil blocks and are creating jobs for Nigerians by the thousands. They have done nothing wrong by practicing capitalism.
You should join me in encouraging capitalists in our society.
For those issuing threats, your threats are quite empty. Bunch of lazy fools.  If I invest millions of dollars and find oil, who are you to say I should not enjoy the fruits of my capitalist labour?  If I don't find oil after spending millions, do you compensate me?  Leave capitalists alone, move to North Korea if you hate capitalism.

@^^ Good Man! grin grin Your capitalist instincts are spot on and I look forward to more profound insights about "capitalism from you wink Naija style wink.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by ow11(m): 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Many of you people are gong ho about oil blocks located miles and miles away from the shores of Nigeria. How such asset is located in ND is beyond comprehension.

Why isn't Niger Republic claiming access to those blocks? Since we are the FEDERAL republic of Nigeria. . .

Those Generals have built corrupt empires out of opportunism and laziness. They just steal and build golden mansions and impoverish Nigerians. The vampires can't run NGOs to help educate their neigbours about birth control and proper education to make them relevant in the 21st century world.

They instead steal, steal, intimidate and create monsters like religious riots, armed robbery, kidnapping and other vices Nigerians have since learned because of the unfair advantage these ex-soldiers have in our economy. IN reality when Nigerians hate on the north, It is actually these ex-Generals and not that aboki that is trying to make a living by selling a tray of kolanut on the streets of Lagos.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Sagamite(m): 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

If people[b] legitimately[/b] invest in oil blocks risking millions of dollars, when their exploration activities yield fruit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of ones labour.

ekt_bear, you of all people are not known to espouse communist ideals. Some of the people[b] you are jealous of[/b] and are vilifying provide employment to hundreds of thousands of you people. Many give out hundreds of millions to charities and NGOs. You people should focus on your state governments and demand accountability from your governors. Leave these legitimate capitalists and business men alone.

The functional word you missed in your summarisation is "legitimately".

There is nothing legitimate when you get permission to invest in oil blocks without following due process and procedures. If you pay peanuts or nothing to the nation (which is cheated of other more profitable opportunities) because you know somebody and you to be awarded national assets with potential, that is a criminal activity. Most of the people that have oil blocks in Nigeria got it in a crooked way. That is not jealousy, it is criminal and injustice. Those are not businessmen, they are thieves and crooks.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by nduchucks: 7:22pm On Mar 11, 2012
Sagamite:

The functional word you missed in your summarisation is "legitimately".

There is nothing legitimate when you get permission to invest in oil blocks without following due process and procedures. If you pay peanuts or nothing to the nation (which is cheated of other more profitable opportunities) because you know somebody and you to be awarded national assets with potential, that is a criminal activity. Most of the people that have oil blocks in Nigeria got it in a crooked way. That is not jealousy, it is criminal and injustice. Those are not businessmen, they are thieves and crooks.

I'm sure you are a law abiding citizen and informed enough to know that legal remedies are for the most part, available in our society. Only the ignorant ones among us do not believe in obtaining remedies from our courts and for that reason will not even attempt to obtain one. Having said that, and assuming you know your rights, why don't institute a court challenge against these thieves and crooks. File a lawsuit against their partners NNPC as well, and fight through your Reps(again assuming you know who they are) for justice and the quick implementation of the PIB.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by SamIkenna: 8:50pm On Mar 11, 2012
d
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by SamIkenna: 8:50pm On Mar 11, 2012
d
ndu_chuks, one thing is to understand capitalism and another is to understand the business social responsibilities of organizations/capitalists to their host communities/people. I dont defend cut-throat capitalism and I hope you join me in it. There is always going to be gap between the haves and have-nots but when that gap becomes unconscienably and acutely wide then a remedy is needed. Bottom line - north needs a remedy NOW before they succeed in producing a wasted generation.

As par oil blocks, I dont begruge neither do I defend them - its their war b00ty. The only Katakata is if the real owners of the oil demand, like they're begining to do, an end to the over-exploitation.

There is always the tendency to exploit and enslave a people that are in a weak position, Europe did it, America, Russia, Japan, Arab, China etc they all did it. In 1970 Nigeria started doing it to East, precisely ND. Now, after 42 years I think time has come for it to end. There is no reason under the sun that is enough to justify why more oil blocks belong to northern ex-generals and emirs than Obas, Amayanbos, Obis, Ezes, and Uhwies, etc.

For peace to reign there must be justice. Lets give justice to the real owners of the resource.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by nduchucks: 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
Sam_Ikenna: ndu_chuks, one thing is to understand capitalism and another is to understand the business social responsibilities of organizations/capitalists to their host communities/people. I dont defend cut-throat capitalism and I hope you join me in it. There is always going to be gap between the haves and have-nots but when that gap becomes unconscienably and acutely wide then a remedy is needed. Bottom line - north needs a remedy NOW before they succeed in producing a wasted generation.

I agree with most of the above. I'll simply add that the remedy needed now is real equity and fairness in the distribution of revenues. The derivation formula needs to be revisited and reformulated in a fair manner. I'm sure everyone would agree with this.

Sam_Ikenna:

As par oil blocks, I dont begruge neither do I defend them - its their war b00ty. The only Katakata is if the real owners of the oil demand, like they're begining to do, an end to the over-exploitation.

There is always the tendency to exploit and enslave a people that are in a weak position, Europe did it, America, Russia, Japan, Arab, China etc they all did it. In 1970 Nigeria started doing it to East, precisely ND. Now, after 42 years I think time has come for it to end. There is no reason under the sun that is enough to justify why more oil blocks belong to northern ex-generals and emirs than Obas, Amayanbos, Obis, Ezes, and Uhwies, etc.

For peace to reign there must be justice. Lets give justice to the real owners of the resource.
It may surprise you that I agree with the statement above. Despite the fact that many of you people are unappreciative of the contribution to your betterment by other regions, when peanuts and cocoa were the biggest money makers, I fully support 100% resource control.

Each state should be allowed to fully control the resources found in that state with the exception of resources (eg Uranium) which could pose a national security threat. Th ND for example has more gas reserves than could power all of Africa. The only caveat I'd add is that, all existing contracts must be honoured to avoid chaos. NNPC's equity in existing onshore oil companies, for instance, should be sold to the states where the operations are located. Off shore resources should be shared accordingly by every state of the union. The same should apply to onshore oil blocks.

This I believe will be a step in the right direction, if peace will reign.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by SamIkenna: 1:50am On Mar 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I agree with most of the above. I'll simply add that the remedy needed now is real equity and fairness in the distribution of revenues. The derivation formula needs to be revisited and reformulated in a fair manner. I'm sure everyone would agree with this.

It may surprise you that I agree with the statement above. Despite the fact that many of you people are unappreciative of the contribution to your betterment by other regions, when peanuts and cocoa were the biggest money makers, I fully support 100% resource control.

Each state should be allowed to fully control the resources found in that state with the exception of resources (eg Uranium) which could pose a national security threat. Th ND for example has more gas reserves than could power all of Africa. The only caveat I'd add is that, all existing contracts must be honoured to avoid chaos. NNPC's equity in existing onshore oil companies, for instance, should be sold to the states where the operations are located. Off shore resources should be shared accordingly by every state of the union. The same should apply to onshore oil blocks.

This I believe will be a step in the right direction, if peace will reign.

I agree to some of the stuff you said above, however, on the issue of using cocoa and peanut to help my people I think you should dump that line because its false. I'm from Imo State and you should know Imo, like everyother state in the East, has never used any help from the north. We have crude, gas, and our famous palm oil plantations so brother lets put aside this idea of us not being unappreciative for all the goodies north gave us. North gave us nothing, instead we gave them and you know it.

Given that nations are expected to respect and honor agreements, I expect the FG to honor all the past agreements concerning oil blocks. I also expect FG to thoroughly check all the oil block bidings/papers, if any oil block owner obtained any blocks in an unfair advatange/below market value then that owner either comes up with real value or forfeit the block. If this nation must move forward all must be equal in truth and in practice.

After all the appropriate screening is done then the block owners must find a way to make the host communities have a sense of belonging. No more "I'm up here and you're down there" attitude. If you have enough money to invest you should have enough sense to protect it by embracing the host community even if you dont like them. I think most of those ex-generals that had oil blocks relied on govt for too long for protection of interests and it worked for sometime, now they have to learn how to shift gear 'cause we're in democracy now, or should I say democrazy?
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Sagamite(m): 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I'm sure you are a law abiding citizen and informed enough to know that legal remedies are for the most part, available in our society. Only the ignorant ones among us do not believe in obtaining remedies from our courts and for that reason will not even attempt to obtain one. Having said that, and assuming you know your rights, why don't institute a court challenge against these thieves and crooks. File a lawsuit against their partners NNPC as well, and fight through your Reps(again assuming you know who they are) for justice and the quick implementation of the PIB.

What rubbish are you ranting?

What legal remedies?

Are you trying to bullshit me?

Do you know how long cases take in Nigerian courts? Do you think your government keeps records? Do you think the ones they keep is easily accessible to the public? Do you see your government even abiding by court orders in the first place most times? Do you see them protecting those that challenge their corruption, i.e. if they don't take the liberty to kill you themselves talkless of the "business men"? You think someone would end up in court for your murder? What remedy? The same one that said Ibori had no case to answer despite his wife, sister, slut and lawyer being found guilty in London? You think your judges are not bribable? What legal remedies has been there to send crooks like IBB to jail? You think Nigeria is a sane country?

My friend, don't come here and be chatting shyt by calling crooks "business men". That is the way that term is repeated abused and soiled in Nigeria.

Don't ever come here and say such shyt again.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by Kenai: 3:21pm On Dec 22, 2014
I think this thread is very relevant to the affairs of the country's political atmosphere today.
Re: Explosive! Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (i) by jamace(m): 12:34am On Dec 23, 2014
Kenai:
I think this thread is very relevant to the affairs of the country's political atmosphere today.
Sure!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Save Kano Nine Trending On Twitter / President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch / Saraki Loses Latest Attempt To Stop CCT Trial.... Pic Attached.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.