Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 (24639 Views)

BIAFRA: A Facebook Post By An Ibo And How People Reacted (screenshots) / . / President Jonathan And Yoruba Oba's, Blessing Or Curse? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by odumorun1: 1:20am On Feb 28, 2012
I continually find the Ibo, Yoruba rivalry on Nairaland quite amusing, if occasionally quite trying.

Tribalism is not caused by the presence of tribes. It is the artificial foisting of different tribes together to suit the needs of colonialist exploitation that created tribalism, or the rivalry of different tribes within the same state.

But even without colonialism, given that these tribes shared common borders, assuming the white man never came, at some stage or the other these tribes would have collided as part of the normal process of expansion through trade, war and intermarriage. The forests and the Niger would not long have divided the Ibo s and Yoruba's even without interference from abroad.

Indeed both tribes were united by a common domination by the great Benin empire. Ekiti slaves and ibo slaves would have mingled and mixed in the Benin royal court long before the first Portuguese set sail for Africa.

I am Yoruba and never cease to wonder how these two great tribes, the most resourceful on the continent, if you doubt come abroad and I defy any one to point to any African in Europe or America, more resourceful, self confident and willing to look the white man in the eye than the Yoruba or Ibo, I wonder how these two powerful nations don't seem to realise that it is largely their childish quarrels that have prevented the evolution of a more progressive Nigeria

Let's not pretend there are no differences, but many of the differences are based on myths and misrepresented history. Lets look at a few of them. I will try and be as honest and objective as possible.

AWOLOWO AND HIS LEGACY

Undoubtedly the greatest Yoruba man of the last hundred years. His free education policy opened the doors of learning to millions of the downtrodden who would have been doomed to a life of ignorance without it. This cannot be denied. He introduced free education in the western region just 5 years after Clement Attlee did in Britain. Tens of thousands of other Nigerians from the poorer classes benefited from this policy. Infact oposition to Awolow's free education policy was class based with many middle and upper class people from all tribes objecting to their kids being taught in the same schools as the barefooted offspring of the poorer classes.

AWOLOWO AND TRIBALISM

Yes he resorted to tribalism when it suited him and he used it opportunistically to seek political power. However so did other nationalist leaders such as Azikiwe. To be fair to both men, The power of the feudal north which the British inserted in Nigeria as a fifth column meant it was almost impossible to defectively mobilize people against the colonial rulers away from the locality the major nationalists were based.

AWOLOWO AND BIAFRA

Fact Awolowo did betray Biafra. The Nigerian attack on Biafra was an act of aggression which Awolowo supported, by joining the federal cabinet of Gowon. I also believe in one Nigeria, as I believe that only the unity of Africa would lift us out of poverty and underdevelopment. But this has to be voluntary. Gowon's one Nigeria was built on the corpses of 30,000 Ibo men, women and children slaughtered by the feudal oligarchy in the North. The secession of Biafra was an act of self defense which was just and right at the time

THE YORUBA'S AND BIAFRA

If the truth be told, most ordinary Yoruba's did not initially support the attack on Biafra. it should not be forgotten that the struggle against the feudal Oligarchy in the north had been started by the masses of Yoruba land who rendered the western region ungovernable after Ahmadu Bello foisted the rotten Akintola on its people, without their struggle, Nzeogwu et al would not have found the will to stage the coup off January 1966. . Even Obasanjo a key ally of the northern elite admitted in his book, My command that there was no appetite amongst the ordinary Yoruba people for the North's war of aggression against Biafra in 1967 The attack on Ore changed this and I strongly feel lost Biafra the war.

However the attack of Biafran forces from the mid west turned the tables. Regardless of the military benefits of the incursion it was politically suicidal. War must always serve political ends. The attack on the west by the Biafran army played into the north's hands by pushing the mass of the erstwhile ambivalent Yoruba people behind the federal war effort. Thousands of Yoruba’s subsequently joined the federal army against the east.

I firmly believe that if Biafra had not invaded the west, they would have won the civil war. Wars are not won by bullets but social support. Regardless of good intentions as the great French revolutionary Maximilian Robespierre once said, neutral people do not accept armed missionaries on their land . The arrival of armed Ibo soldiers on Yoruba land pushed the largely sympathetic mass of the Yoruba people behind awolow's opportunistic policy of supporting the federal assault on Biafra.

THE YORUBA'S NATURALLY HATE THE IBO'S

A myth. Apart from the usual banter, there is no record of Ibo's being physically attacked in the western region as they regularly are in the north. It is also a fact that the premier of the Western Region a Yoruba, Ladoke Akintola was killed by largely Ibo soldiers. The mass of the Yoruba people till this day have always supported that coup, even though Okpara the eastern region premier was not killed. There is a strong social democratic spirit amongst the ordinary yoruba man that places ideology and principle above parochial sentiment. the issue was not whether Akintola, a Yoruba was killed by Ibos,  while Okpara was spared  The issue for them was that Akintola was a reactionary and retrograde, Okpara, a progressive was not - the coup was seen as a progressive one so to them it was just natural that the conservatives should be dealt with while the progressives should be spared.

it is a fact that Kaduna Nzeogwu is as popular today in the west as he is in the east.

IBO INDUSTRY

A fact. the most productive people in Africa. If the Nigerian government had tapped the ingenuity of the ibo's which reached its height during the civil war, we would be well on our way to industrial greatness today. We used to laugh at ibo made at the same time as we made fun of China made. China is now the world's industrial power house. A missed opportunity

YORUBA EDUCATION AND POLITICAL AWARENESS

Not to be sniffed at. In England and the US the Yoruba;'s are by far and away the most educated Africans.  In Nigeria most Yoruba  homes would boast of at least one graduate. The level of enlightenment has made the Yoruba's the most politically conscious people in Nigeria. This is why the history of Nigeria really is the history of the struggle of the Yoruba lower classes. The revolt in the 60's put paid to the first republic. It was their uprising in the second republic that put paid to that corrupt regime. And without the June 12 struggles of the largely Yoruba masses in the south-west, the country will still be under military rule. This cannot be denied

YORUBA COWARDICE

Myth. A warlike people who have produced some pre colonial Nigeria greatest generals, such as Lagelu, Lishabi, Ogunmola, Oluyole, Ogedengbe etc are no cowards. In the colonial and post colonial era, the ruggedly individua  Ibo's have always produced the braver, more enterprising fighters, the bravest insurgents the  best civil right and trade union activists in Nigeria have always been from the east. But collectively, the Yorubas have always been in a class of their own. There is no other part of Nigeria where the mass of the people can be so easily roused in to action as in Yoruba land. The ordinary man in the west isALSO much less intimidated by power and money than their counterparts are in the mercantile east or the fuedal north. No matter how rich you are in the south-west there are boundaries that cannot be crossed when dealing with the downtrodden. The ordinary people in the east and north are much more subservient.

Part 2 coming soon. Comments are welcome
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Lasinoh: 1:46am On Feb 28, 2012
Very entertaining I tellya!
Both equally disgusting too! kiss
. . . And I hate both! kiss
Confusionists and extremely m0r0nic!
Not to mention tribalistic and irritating! cheesy

Don't blame colonialism.
After all England tried the same nonsense with China and the USA and FAILED! kiss
Blame the curse of the UGLY black skin!
Cursed with hate and lack of progress! kiss
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Igwe9(m): 10:29am On Feb 28, 2012
A very interesting write-up cool
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by ekwynwa1: 10:45am On Feb 28, 2012
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Afam4eva(m): 11:01am On Feb 28, 2012
Nice write but I have to disagree on the point that has been hammered by. Yoruibas on why they joined the northerners to fight Biafra. First and foremost, the war was not between Biafra and the Hausa/fulani ologarchy, rather it was between Biafra and Nigeria which included all tribes except Igbos and other eastern minority groups. Biafran soldiers invaded the west enroute lagos because that where the capital was situated. Will you go to Kano when the head of what you're fighting is in Lagos? If the capital were to be in the north then I would have faulted the biafran soldier but it was in Lagos. I

2 Likes

Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Ngodigha1(m): 11:17am On Feb 28, 2012
@poster, dude you really have time to type Ibo and all this nonsense. Why not get a keyboard that will enable you type Igbo.
This thread belongs to the waste bin.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by DRANOEL(m): 11:18am On Feb 28, 2012
fact ; igbos and yorubas are the most fraudulent and distrusted  africans.

fact ; the're are more igbos and yoruba's languishing in the US and european prisons than any other african tribe.

so i do agree, igbos and yoruba's have a lot in common
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by ekwynwa1: 12:15pm On Feb 28, 2012
afam4eva:

Nice write but I have to disagree on the point that has been hammered by. Yoruibas on why they joined the northerners to fight Biafra. First and foremost, the war was not between Biafra and the Hausa/fulani ologarchy, rather it was between Biafra and Nigeria which included all tribes except Igbos and other eastern minority groups. Biafran soldiers invaded the west enroute lagos because that where the capital was situated. Will you go to Kano when the head of what you're fighting is in Lagos? If the capital were to be in the north then I would have faulted the biafran soldier but it was in Lagos. I

WORD angry
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by ACM10: 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2012
odumorun 1:

I continually find the Ibo, Yoruba rivalry on Nairaland quite amusing, if occasionally quite trying.

Tribalism is not caused by the presence of tribes. It is the artificial foisting of different tribes together to suit the needs of colonialist exploitation that created tribalism, or the rivalry of different tribes within the same state.

But even without colonialism, given that these tribes shared common borders, assuming the white man never came, at some stage or the other these tribes would have collided as part of the normal process of expansion through trade, war and intermarriage. The forests and the Niger would not long have divided the Ibo s and Yoruba's even without interference from abroad.

Indeed both tribes were united by a common domination by the great Benin empire. Ekiti slaves and ibo slaves would have mingled and mixed in the Benin royal court long before the first Portuguese set sail for Africa.

I am Yoruba and never cease to wonder how these two great tribes, the most resourceful on the continent, if you doubt come abroad and I defy any one to point to any African in Europe or America, more resourceful, self confident and willing to look the white man in the eye than the Yoruba or Ibo, I wonder how these two powerful nations don't seem to realise that it is largely their childish quarrels that have prevented the evolution of a more progressive Nigeria

Let's not pretend there are no differences, but many of the differences are based on myths and misrepresented history. Lets look at a few of them. I will try and be as honest and objective as possible.

AWOLOWO AND HIS LEGACY

Undoubtedly the greatest Yoruba man of the last hundred years. His free education policy opened the doors of learning to millions of the downtrodden who would have been doomed to a life of ignorance without it. This cannot be denied. He introduced free education in the western region just 5 years after Clement Attlee did in Britain. Tens of thousands of other Nigerians from the poorer classes benefited from this policy. Infact oposition to Awolow's free education policy was class based with many middle and upper class people from all tribes objecting to their kids being taught in the same schools as the barefooted offspring of the poorer classes.

AWOLOWO AND TRIBALISM

Yes he resorted to tribalism when it suited him and he used it opportunistically to seek political power. However so did other nationalist leaders such as Azikiwe. To be fair to both men, The power of the feudal north which the British inserted in Nigeria as a fifth column meant it was almost impossible to defectively mobilize people against the colonial rulers away from the locality the major nationalists were based.

AWOLOWO AND BIAFRA

Fact Awolowo did betray Biafra. [size=38pt]The Nigerian attack on Biafra was an act of aggression which Awolowo supported,[/size] (and facilitated too) by joining the federal cabinet of Gowon. I also believe in one Nigeria, as I believe that only the unity of Africa would lift us out of poverty and underdevelopment. But this has to be voluntary. Gowon's one Nigeria was built on the corpses of 30,000 Ibo men, women and children slaughtered by the feudal oligarchy in the North. The secession of Biafra was an act of self defense which was just and right at the time

THE YORUBA'S AND BIAFRA

If the truth be told, most ordinary Yoruba's did not initially support the attack on Biafra. it should not be forgotten that the struggle against the feudal Oligarchy in the north had been started by the masses of Yoruba land who rendered the western region ungovernable after Ahmadu Bello foisted the rotten Akintola on its people, without their struggle, Nzeogwu et al would not have found the will to stage the coup off January 1966. . Even Obasanjo a key ally of the northern elite admitted in his book, My command that there was no appetite amongst the ordinary Yoruba people for the North's war of aggression against Biafra in 1967 The attack on Ore changed this and I strongly feel lost Biafra the war.

However the attack of Biafran forces from the mid west turned the tables. Regardless of the  military benefits of the incursion it was politically suicidal. War must always serve political ends. The attack on the west by the Biafran army played into the north's hands by pushing the mass of the erstwhile ambivalent Yoruba people behind the federal war effort. Thousands of Yoruba’s subsequently joined the federal army against the east.

I firmly believe that if Biafra had not invaded the west, they would have won the civil war. Wars are not won by bullets but social support. Regardless of good intentions as the great French revolutionary Maximilian Robespierre once said, neutral people do not accept armed missionaries on their land . The arrival of armed Ibo soldiers on Yoruba land pushed the largely sympathetic mass of the Yoruba people behind awolow's opportunistic policy of supporting the federal assault on Biafra.

THE YORUBA'S NATURALLY HATE THE IBO'S

A myth. Apart from the usual banter, there is no record of Ibo's being physically attacked in the western region as they regularly are in the north. It is also a fact that the premier of the Western Region a Yoruba, Ladoke Akintola was killed by largely Ibo soldiers. The mass of the Yoruba people till this day have always supported that coup, even though Okpara the eastern region premier was not killed. There is a strong social democratic spirit amongst the ordinary yoruba man that places ideology and principle above parochial sentiment. the issue was not whether Akintola, a Yoruba was killed by Ibos,  while Okpara was spared  The issue for them was that Akintola was a reactionary and retrograde, Okpara, a progressive was not - the coup was seen as a progressive one so to them it was just natural that the conservatives should be dealt with while the progressives should be spared.

it is a fact that Kaduna Nzeogwu is as popular today in the west as he is in the east.

IBO INDUSTRY

A fact. the most productive people in Africa. If the Nigerian government had tapped the ingenuity of the ibo's which reached its height during the civil war, we would be well on our way to industrial greatness today. We used to laugh at ibo made at the same time as we made fun of China made. China is now the world's industrial power house. A missed opportunity

YORUBA EDUCATION AND POLITICAL AWARENESS

Not to be sniffed at. In England and the US the Yoruba;'s are by far and away the most educated Africans.  In Nigeria most Yoruba  homes would boast of at least one graduate. The level of enlightenment has made the Yoruba's the most politically conscious people in Nigeria. This is why the history of Nigeria really is the history of the struggle of the Yoruba lower classes. The revolt in the 60's put paid to the first republic. It was their uprising in the second republic that put paid to that corrupt regime. And without the June 12 struggles of the largely Yoruba masses in the south-west, the country will still be under military rule. This cannot be denied

YORUBA COWARDICE

Myth. A warlike people who have produced some pre colonial Nigeria greatest generals, such as Lagelu, Lishabi, Ogunmola, Oluyole, Ogedengbe etc are no cowards. In the colonial and post colonial era, the ruggedly individua  Ibo's have always produced the braver, more enterprising fighters, the bravest insurgents the  best civil right and trade union activists in Nigeria have always been from the east. But collectively, the Yorubas have always been in a class of their own. There is no other part of Nigeria where the mass of the people can be so easily roused in to action as in Yoruba land. The ordinary man in the west isALSO much less intimidated by power and money than their counterparts  are in the mercantile east or the fuedal north. No matter how rich you are in the south-west there are boundaries that cannot be crossed when dealing with the downtrodden. The ordinary people in the east and north are much more subservient.

Part 2 coming soon. Comments are welcome

Because of the bolded, which unfortunately is a time-tested truth, I will ignore/forgive all your shortcomings
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by utimayor(m): 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
well said then, maybe some nlanders will learn and face the real problem,  Igbos and Yorubas are not violent, perfect blend, lets heal our old wounds and fight our real problem.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by EzeUche(m): 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2012
I have secretly held this position and I think the Ndigbo and Yoruba could be great allies, but only in separate countries. Let us taste freedom for a while, before we start building alliances. We both need to get our houses in order.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by executinal(m): 6:22pm On Feb 28, 2012
interesting. . , waiting for part 2
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Yeske2(m): 9:01pm On Feb 28, 2012
Yes we can but not with what i see on Nairaland.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Lasinoh: 9:16pm On Feb 28, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-873527.0.html

[b][size=20pt]DEATH WISH (OR FREUD’S THANATOS)[/size]
It is as if these people have a death wish and must attack other people so as to generate other people’s counter attacks on them, and when attacked they feel persecuted hence feel alive. The pathological ego feels alive when persecuted!

The paranoid person feels alive when he feels attacked and is defensive; if not feeling attacked and persecuted and defensive he does not feel like he is alive!

The paranoid person has not yet learned that a person can feel even more alive by loving himself and those around him. If you want to truly feel alive do what loves other people and what serves people’s interests.

The alternative to Christian agape love for all people is the paranoid attacks on people that generate counter attack for him and he gets attacked and in defending his self feels falsely alive.

[size=20pt]For the longest time I could not quite understand this oddity in many Igbos behavior. Finally, I understood it. They engage in their apparent self-defeating behaviors because of mental disorder. [/size] They suffer mass delusion disorder (follies adieu, aka group paranoia).[/b]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-873880.0.html

But the Yoruba people are nowhere in these frameworks of human interaction. Wherever you find two or three Yoruba people, the words and phrases ‘order’, ‘intelligent disagreement’, ‘orderly agreement or disagreement’, and ‘rational disobedience’ are often lacking because the Yoruba people are not cut out to exist in civilized relationships. [size=20pt]They are worst than the beasts and lions in the wild because their culture is a culture rooted in anarchy.[/size] Even if they go through many years of training in either military or academic institutions, the Yoruba people are still worse than the beasts in the wild. Ekiti is a perfect example here.

Gbam!

Igbotic behavior vs Ngbatic behavior!!!! DISASTER!!!! cheesy

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Odutodaiwa: 9:44pm On Feb 28, 2012
I find it quite interesting when I hear some people say Yorubas are cowards. The history of Yoruba is replete with so many enviable warriors. Infact, the story of old Oyo Empire speaks volume of our forefathers' penchant for war. In any case, cowards don't build Empires. Because we failed to act someones script doesn't make us cowards.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 28, 2012
Well articulated and composed,
yoruba love Peace nd Unity ,as shown throu history, yorubas re above ethnic nd sentiments, as depicted throu Akintola's assasination, murder of Abiola nd his wife Kudirat et all, yorubas believe in Democracy nd Good Governance as other part of Nigeria do believe,

Ndigbo kwenu,
I disagree with u @ poster, on d issue of Awolowo joinin d federal sides against Biafra, it was Biafra against Nigeria. Southsouth inclusive.
So, when u wanto talk about betrayal, i think d blame shd not be labelld on SW but SS, aftarall Ojukwu did not plan Secession wit Yoruba/Awolowo.
Again, u ve to cite reference(s) when u call somethin a 'Fact' to butress ur point or are u an Authority ?

Do yoruba nd Ndigbo ve anything in common ? Do we?

We ve southern Blood in common!!!!

Can yoruba nd Indigbo form a Nation , !!!!!!
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Desola(f): 10:34pm On Feb 28, 2012
ipejopo awon muttherforker!!!
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Dede1(m): 10:36pm On Feb 28, 2012
@POST

I could not, for the life of me, understand why certain grown human beings always think the civil war was between northern region and eastern region of Nigeria. The civil war, as correctly baptized as Nigeria/Biafra, was a war between Nigeria (consisting northern, western and mid-western region) and Biafra (consisting eastern region).
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by dayokanu(m): 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2012
afam4eva:

Dont try to be smart by half. If thats your reasoning for invading Ore, Then why cry that Yorubas which were part of Nigeria fought back Biafra and actually crushed the Biafra forces with our able son Benjamin Adekunle aka Black Scorpion leading the charge

Biafra attacked Yorubaland because it was part of Nigeria abi?

Also Yoruba men since they were part of Nigeria joined to fight back to protect their land which was still part of Nigeria

First to do no dey pain
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Dede1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Dont try to be smart by half. If thats your reasoning for invading Ore, Then why cry that Yorubas which were part of Nigeria fought back Biafra and actually crushed the Biafra forces with our able son Benjamin Adekunle aka Black Scorpion leading the charge

Also Yoruba men since they were part of Nigeria joined to fight back to protect their land which was still part of Nigeria
First to do no dey pain

Dayolodo the monkey.

Were you thinking Yoruba land was part of Republic of Dahomey, agbaya? There was logical base of fighting back to protect their land against Biafrans when the Yoruba did not muster intestinal fortitude to kick Gowon and Nigerian soldiers from northern region out of the so-called Yoruba land. Yoruba shall remain the enemy of Biafra forever.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by dayokanu(m): 11:44pm On Feb 28, 2012
Dede1:

Dayolodo the monkey.

Were you thinking Yoruba land was part of Republic of Dahomey, agbaya? There was logical base of fighting back to protect their land against Biafrans when the Yoruba did not muster intestinal fortitude to kick Gowon and Nigerian soldiers from northern region out of the so-called Yoruba land. Yoruba shall remain the enemy of Biafra forever.

Awwww we shall be enemies of Biafra? OMG Now we shall all perish, We wont be able to eat again because Biafra has decided to make us h-enemies. Now Igbos wont let us invade their land to come and live in like they have occuped our lands

M0r0n, Who cares about who you makes h-enemies of?
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Desola(f): 1:15am On Feb 29, 2012
Dede1:

Dayolodo the monkey.

Amen to that!
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by ziga: 1:30am On Feb 29, 2012
Dede1:

@POST

I could not, for the life of me, understand why certain grown human beings always think the civil war was between northern region and eastern region of Nigeria. The civil war, as correctly baptized as Nigeria/Biafra, was a war between Nigeria (consisting northern, western and mid-western region) and Biafra (consisting eastern region). 

In the same vein, I do not understand why some Igbo posters come on Nairaland to say that Yorubas betrayed them and are therefore backstabbers.

If the war was between Biafra and Nigeria (which includes the Yoruba region which they invaded) WHY should they expect that the Yorubas/Nigerians would have been their allies and therefore support their war against Nigeria.

You don't betray someone you are at war with. You crush and defeat them!!!

1 Like

Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by aljharem(m): 1:39am On Feb 29, 2012
ziga:

In the same vein, I do not understand why some Igbo posters come on Nairaland to say that Yorubas betrayed them and are therefore backstabbers.

If the war was between Biafra and Nigeria (which includes the Yoruba region which they invaded) WHY should they expect that the Yorubas/Nigerians would have been their allies and therefore support their war against Nigeria.

You don't betray someone you are at war with. You crush and defeat them!!!

dayokanu:

First to do no dey pain

God bless you 2 !!!!
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Dainfamous: 1:41am On Feb 29, 2012
EzeUche:

I have secretly held this position and I think the Ndigbo and Yoruba could be great allies, but only in separate countries. Let us taste freedom for a while, before we start building alliances. We both need to get our houses in order.
Big point there, that's what we both need it is like they acting as if igbos are suffocating them sad
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by ak47mann(m): 2:01am On Feb 29, 2012
^^^

igbo that name alone makes them shiiitt in their agbada cheesy cheesy
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Lasinoh: 4:06am On Feb 29, 2012
Abeg make dem be h-enemies for ever o!
Good h-entertainment!
Mu che che che che che che
Just love to see these NL old cargos go at it! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:26am On Feb 29, 2012
An articulate piece but there are a lot of fallcious and patently false claims. I'll just address the claims of greater subservience among the Igbo group.

I sincerely hope you were joking cos that expresses willful ignorance. The absence of subservience to any designated masters or superiors in the Igbo socio-cultural space is the bane of our politics where we seem incapable of adopting a consensus candidate for national rulership because by our republican, non-compromising nature. The Yorubas, right from pre-colonial times have never been far from the political structure of Northern Nigerian.

This is why both groups have a far greater pre-disposition to resort to base, primal tribal or clannish politics compared to the Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by pazienza(m): 9:51am On Feb 29, 2012
Dede1:

Dayolodo the monkey.

Dede1,u never disappoint me,i wish many igbo people think like you,oil can never mix with water,Ojukwu's trust in many yoruba elements proved to be the death of biafra,from awolowo to aluko and banjo,the story was all the same.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by Lasinoh: 9:53am On Feb 29, 2012
Like Ojukwu did not betray Nzeogwu!
Thank God ndi Yoruba paid him back 'sweeeetly'!
Ta nu ja! kiss
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by jspac(m): 10:00am On Feb 29, 2012
Tribalism,the only thing igbos and yorubas are good at on NL.
You guys should entertain me abeg.
Re: Ibo And Yoruba Rivalry - Myths And Facts - Part 1 by LogicMind: 10:03am On Feb 29, 2012
There is no rivalry between igbos and yorubas.
There is no rivalry between lions and she-goats.
There is no rivalry between free men and slaves of the fulanis .
There is no rivalry between brave warriors and cowards.
There is no rivalry between freedom fighters and betrayers.
There is no rivalry between clealiness and dirtiness.
There is no rivalry between entrepreneurship and book follow follow.
There is no rivalry between intelligent actions and basket mouth nothingness.
There is no rivalry between natural beauty and unnatural ugliness.
There is no rivalry between steadfastness and religious confusion.
There is no rivalry between self made men and subsidy beggars.
There is no rivalry between real commanders and crying generals.
There is no rivalry between a melodious language and a headache inducing one.
There is no rivalry between igbos and yorubas.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See How Buhari Reacted 2 Allegations He's Using UK Aid 2 Fight His Opponents / Revealed! Why Buhari Is Backing Oshiomhole On Direct Primaries / Live Pictures of Olawepo Hashim's Presidential Campaign In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.