Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,085 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

thank you - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / thank you (10801 Views)

It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / thank you / Family! Thank You For Helping Me Pay My School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: thank you by emmatok(m): 12:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
chaircover:

At 20 this boy will probably live with you for the next 5 or so years before he gets married himself.

You have a choice; you can live like cat and mouse and gradually go mad from constant strife and erode your marriage or you can do what I do and that is to befried all my husbands aburos. I am so friendly with them that they will feel uncomfortable doing any wrong. Of course they are decent people to start with. They all have nicknames and I joke, play and tease them a lot and I tell you that they all more than happy to do things and bend backwards for me.

They tell me things that they wouldnt even tell their brother and I also seriously advise them. They are like my own brothers. They are not going anywhere so I have a choice on whether to embrace them and we live in peace and see them as welcome additions or I push them away and the day I need them they are not there for me too.

No one is perfect and there will be a few people that will drive you to distraction, but I came to understand that they are family and they are going no where just as a few people in my family probably drive my own husband cray too  grin

Please be wise. Whatever you sow in the early years of your marriage will be reaped later on.

I know of a girl in your situation whose husband was living with 3 kid siblings and she was married into the house. She took the "I am the wife and oga in this house" stance and the marriage broke up within 11 months. She was the one who moved out last last. The siblings and the husband have all remarried and living their lives while she is still looking for Mr Right all these years later.

Great .
Re: thank you by ayodele123(m): 7:17pm On Feb 29, 2012
Quote from dasparrow
''Once you are married into a Nigerian family as a woman, be prepared to become the family's slave. You must keep in mind that in the Nigerian culture, women are viewed as properties and considered inferior though most Nigerians will deny this fact. Even white people in advanced societies treat their dogs and cats with more love, affection and care than the average Nigerian-bred husband treats his wife. This should be a lesson to you ladies who think that getting married and looking pretty in your white wedding gown for 24 hours in front of family and friends will solve all life's problems. Now as you can see, marraige especially to a Nigerian-bred male is a bed of thorns with very few roses if any. You are expected never to rest till you take your last breath. You are expected to keep cooking, cleaning and serving not just your husband and kids but all his family members as well while taking in insults at the same time. The day you drop dead, you will be replaced with another woman in a heart beat. Such is life being married to most Nigerian-bred males. I can only wish you goodluck in your marital endeavours''

@dasparrow
Correct and true about many Nigerian husbands, in fact many african husbands who married in african settings
The Poster's experience is typical of many african marriages and common place in Nigeria.
Re: thank you by PHIPEX(m): 10:49pm On Feb 29, 2012
Jemibee:

I don't envy u one bit. I knw what it's like to have that feeling of being in another person's house. It's ur husband i blame and not you or even the in-law.

Your hubby should have made sure every1 understood his role in the house. And for those saying household chores are strictly meant for women, UNE LIE OOO!! If you've ever lived outside 9ja, like some of us, you'd know that in the developped world, everyone contributes as much as he can either financially or physically.

My advice is that you call an educated/respectable old inlaw of yours and narrate the story. They'll give you sugestions as to how to manage this crisis. Your marriage is too young for u to be dealing with inlaws and their wahala. And if it doesnt work out, u'll have to choose to either live unhappy for as long as it'd last or return back to 9ja. He'll come for u when he's ready and when d coast is clear if not, u probably weren't meant to be togeda.

Some people are so funny, The Lady should return to Nigeria and tell her family that she left her matrimonial home because her brother inlaw does'nt wash his plates, eats plenty meats and bangs into her room unannounced abi? Ur a wise one indeed, I can't help but lafta well well in my village language grin grin grin grin grin
Re: thank you by Pharoahnd: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2012
leobatojo:
Quote from: Sagamite on February 28, 2012, 05:45 PM

Make a set of rules of what you want the brother to change in his habits. Ensure they are reasonable rules.

Call your husband and his brother and present it to them assertively and with aplomb.

Let your husband know you expect him to monitor the rules are adhered to.

Monitor for about 1 month to see if there is an improvement.

If no significant improvement, get yourself a ticket and go back to Nigeria.

Tell your husband you love him but you will only comeback when his brother is out of the house.

By then, your husband has completely lost the right to even discuss how to improve his behaviour, it is now a case of him getting out of the house.

Make sure you have something to go and be doing in Nigeria. Even when the brother is out, take 2-8 weeks before going back to SA.

Be careful before u start leaving ur husband to return to Nigeria and giving him ultimatum to kick-out his brother before u return. Remeber he's known this boy all his life and may be fond of him. If u insist he's thrown out, it might just jeopardize ur own marriage, especially if u've been having ur own issues with ur husband. Besides, if u leave him and travel for weeks under the pretenc of been upset about his brother's presence, other women might just use this opportunity to replace u
Re: thank you by ayodele123(m): 9:41am On Mar 01, 2012
leobatojo:
Quote from: Sagamite on February 28, 2012, 05:45 PM

Make a set of rules of what you want the brother to change in his habits. Ensure they are reasonable rules.

Call your husband and his brother and present it to them assertively and with aplomb.

Let your husband know you expect him to monitor the rules are adhered to.

Monitor for about 1 month to see if there is an improvement.

If no significant improvement, get yourself a ticket and go back to Nigeria.

Tell your husband you love him but you will only comeback when his brother is out of the house.

By then, your husband has completely lost the right to even discuss how to improve his behaviour, it is now a case of him getting out of the house.

Poster
The advice above is dangerous advice oh!
Dish out a set of rules to your husband and his brother, then return to Nigeria to await the implementation & wait for them to call you to return?
Dont try this with an african husband as it is most likely to backfire.
You may not return to the marriage & even the relations at home even your own parents will blame you.
That is no way forward to solution
Re: thank you by LadyT(f): 11:36am On Mar 01, 2012
Some of you are making me laugh.

Write a set of rules out?
Pack out of the house?
Plant drugs in brothers room?

This is over the top and crazy we are nigerians remember!

Simply tell your husband you want to talk to your brother in law because you feel you may have offended him thats why he does what he does and treats you somehow (use sympathy method). Talk to the brother in law himself and clear the air (do this calmly). You said your husband notices the younger brothers behaviour. Im teling you one day his brother will snap and address the issue himself.

You need to ask yourself whats more important your marriage or some immature young boy? As long as he is not threathning in anyway he will leave soon enough. Try to bare it.
Re: thank you by ayodele123(m): 12:03pm On Mar 01, 2012
''Simply confront him and tell him his fault politely.If he refuse to bulge ask him to leave.its ur home''

Another wrong advice!
That the poster should ask the brother-in-law to leave if he fails to change, afterall the home belongs to the poster.
Her Home! Yes, it is but she has limited powers. Remember,this is an african, not an european marital setting.
The poster is traditionally married to the whole family and is seen as the family's servant.
The poster has no right or authority to do so to unilaterally sack her brother-in-law. She will meet with the stiffest of opposition from the in-laws and even from her husband. She may be digging the grave of the marriage by so doing.
Confrontation will not work to solve the poster's problem. Confrontation will compound matters for her
Dialogue is much better. Try getting the husband to talk to his brother.Poster should try to relate with the young man more as a friend and brother than as an in-law.
Re: thank you by ayodele123(m): 12:40pm On Mar 01, 2012
Quote from enkoby
''I cannot believe this. why in this world will my husband's younger brother come to my house and expect his elder brother's wife to wash his dishes? my gawd!! this is amazing. my gawd!! i am still screaming. I stay with my husband's nephew and initially, he will walk into the kitchen, dish his food, eat up and dump his plate for me in the sink. of course i called him to order and told him to make sure he washes up his plates after eating, and since then he has never tried to leave his plates for me in the sink. pls note that i dont expect anyone to do my dishes or my husband's dishes, but if you must eat my food, then u must wash [/b]YOUR PLATE!!! [b] I can never wash plates for a 20yr old simply because he is my husband's brother. infact, leaving his plates for me is disrespectful, if i am married to his ELDER BROTHER!!!

@enkoby
  You are right but you see, we are funny people in this part of the world. in this age of civilisation many of us are still very backward in our orientation all in the name of culture and tradition still seeing a wife as a servant.
A younger sister of mine, married to a Bini was in a similar situation many years ago in 1994. She was already a graduate at the time and her husband too is not an illiterate. She married into a highly educated Bini family, but who still clung to their traditional beliefs. Her husband was not in Nigeria at the time, so she was residing with her mother-in-law on a temporary basis.
She would wash plates for her inlaws, many of them adolescents in primary & secondary school who were old enough to wash their own plates. One day she rebelled, stopped washing the plates. It backfired as she was sent packing by her mother-in-law. Our parents had to settle it and she returned there because my parents considered it a shame on our family to see their daughter sacked from her matrimonial home. The following year,she joined her husband in Australia and she's been free from all that in-law wahala since.Though her situation and the poster's are not exactly the same, the point am making is that an in-law should respect his brother's wife.
Within 2 months of my marriage in 1997, i accomodated a male cousin of mine who had an accomodation problem. He was a graduate, working class but a bachelor. He would poo poo in the toilet and expect my wife to go flush it! There was water in the home and all he had to do was to press the WC handle. Insult, no be so? My wife refused to do it and i(not my wife) sent him away eventually. He regards us as an enemy till date but that's his cup of tea anyway. He is married now with several kids. Educated illiterates in these parts
Re: thank you by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 01, 2012
ayodele123:

Quote from enkoby
''I cannot believe this. why in this world will my husband's younger brother come to my house and expect his elder brother's wife to wash his dishes? my gawd!! this is amazing. my gawd!! i am still screaming. I stay with my husband's nephew and initially, he will walk into the kitchen, dish his food, eat up and dump his plate for me in the sink. of course i called him to order and told him to make sure he washes up his plates after eating, and since then he has never tried to leave his plates for me in the sink. pls note that i dont expect anyone to do my dishes or my husband's dishes, but if you must eat my food, then u must wash [/b]YOUR PLATE!!! [b] I can never wash plates for a 20yr old simply because he is my husband's brother. infact, leaving his plates for me is disrespectful, if i am married to his ELDER BROTHER!!!

@enkoby
  You are right but you see, we are funny people in this part of the world. in this age of civilisation many of us are still very backward in our orientation all in the name of culture and tradition still seeing a wife as a servant.
A younger sister of mine, married to a Bini was in a similar situation many years ago in 1994. She was already a graduate at the time and her husband too is not an illiterate. She married into a highly educated Bini family, but who still clung to their traditional beliefs. Her husband was not in Nigeria at the time, so she was residing with her mother-in-law on a temporary basis.
She would wash plates for her inlaws, many of them adolescents in primary & secondary school who were old enough to wash their own plates. One day she rebelled, stopped washing the plates. It backfired as she was sent packing by her mother-in-law. Our parents had to settle it and she returned there because my parents considered it a shame on our family to see their daughter sacked from her matrimonial home. The following year,she joined her husband in Australia and she's been free from all that in-law wahala since.Though her situation and the poster's are not exactly the same, the point am making is that an in-law should respect his brother's wife.
Within 2 months of my marriage in 1997, i accomodated a male cousin of mine who had an accomodation problem. He was a graduate, working class but a bachelor. He would poo poo in the toilet and expect my wife to go flush it! There was water in the home and all he had to do was to press the WC handle. Insult, no be so? My wife refused to do it and i(not my wife) sent him away eventually. He regards us as an enemy till date but that's his cup of tea anyway. He is married now with several kids. Educated illiterates in these parts
Bless you Jare. I love having people in my house but there should be boundries abeg. What is that? Poo and leave it in the toilet, not even for a maid talkless of a wife.
Re: thank you by oludashmi(f): 1:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
skirmish:

I am going through the same thing, although my brother-in-law is not rude(he wouldn't dare). He does not clean after himself, leaves his unwashed plates in the sink, does nothing to help out of his own volition. It is not very easy to deal with issues of this sensitive nature. My brothers can't even try that, the way I'd call them to order will make them change their minds about coming to my house. But then, I can't do that with my In-laws!

There goes your argument of "handling him like your biological brother''. Goodnews is, I'm ready to be patient and ignore his attitude (it is not easy though), but he wont stay with us forever wink

You ended well so I will say less
If you were to think like the poster, wont you also say you want to go back to your father's house cos your bro in-law doesnt clean? The poster is really really immature angry.

Infact, for the poster's husband not to want to hear her talk, shows that she is a nagger. She probably nags about everything. Many married ladies will talk and talk till they talk away their marriage or life. My people say. . .ile oko, ile eko ni. . .your husband's house is a training school. So dont expect to get what you used to get in your father's house.

Sorry to say, the poster is not due for marriage! She was only moved by her age, the ceremony and the ring!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Frustrations Of Older Nigerian Women Who Are Sex-starved By Their Husband. / She Beat Up Her Son For Writing This On A Book. Is It Right(pic) / How To Protect Your Husband From Small Small Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.