Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,294 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt (6909 Views)

Apc-dynamite & Gunshot At Apc Rally In Rivers With Photos / Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers / Boko Haram Mount Dynamite Raid, Rob Bank, In Looting Spree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by mukina2: 10:10am On Mar 01, 2012
No fewer than 10 armed robbers, about 8 pm yesterday, used dynamite to force open the safe of a first generation bank opposite the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Choba, Port Harcourt in Rivers State.

The casualty figure could not be ascertained at press time, but witnesses said many people died. Innocent persons were also said to have been injured in the confusion.

Witnesses, who pleaded anonymity, said the armed robbers operated unchallenged for almost one hour and later escaped, while policemen arrived on the scene two minutes after the hoodlums had left.

It was learnt that immediately the armed robbers arrived at the bank, they started shooting sporadically to scare passersby on the busy Choba-NTA Road.

The road is still being dualised by the Rotimi Amaechi administration, which causes regular traffic jam, coupled with another huge traffic at the nearby UNIPORT junction on the ever-busy East-West Road, also being dualised by the Federal Government.

When the hoodlums’ gunshots became unbearable, pedestrians and motorists scampered for safety, causing pandemonium, with many persons injured and vehicles abandoned on the road.

With the heavy gunshots frightening the people, making them to run away from the area. The armed robbers had a field day. They shot security personnel on duty, resulting in heavy casualty. Some of them ran away.

Some unlucky passersby and motorists were, however, hit by stray bullets, with some of the witnesses presuming that members of the Boko Haram were on the rampage.

With the bank’s security guards overpowered, the armed robbers used the SMGs, AK-47 rifles and dynamite to destroy the security door at the bank’s main entrance and moved straight to the safe, which they forced open and carted away cash.

The witnesses said some employees of the bank, especially those balancing their accounts, were still in the hall when the hoodlums arrived. Some of them were injured and made to lie face down on the floor.

Having successfully operated and with huge cash in their kitty, the robbers disappeared amid sporadic gunshots.

UNIPORT’s spokesman Dr. Williams Wodi, in a telephone chat at 9:52 pm said the robbery led to confusion, but it took place outside the campus.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/38368-robbers-attack-bank-with-dynamite-in-port-harcourt.html
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by stepo707: 12:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
The menace of arm robbers is now getting too much
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by patorini(m): 12:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
Boys are not smiling
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by rabzy01: 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
If it happens in the North, it is Boko Haram. If it happens in the South, it is armed robbers.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Killcabal(m): 12:40pm On Mar 01, 2012
Dis is wat corruption still bring back, Guys i mean people dey vexxxxxxx
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Bawss1(m): 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
Tragic

A small question though: how come every time explosives are used during any incident in PH the press is quick to identify it as dynamite. How did they arrive at this identification? Do criminals have a rule of using only dynamites in Rivers state? I recall that during the heydays of the Niger Delta militancy, it was reported that dynamites were used in all if not most of the attacks. How come?
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3xltGTqaIZwyCEX-xmmicQYjWpRV1_zvzMwIgWIZhD0VlMxtLUw[/img]
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Raxxye(m): 1:03pm On Mar 01, 2012
Bawss1:

Tragic

A small question though: how come every time explosives are used during any incident in PH the press is quick to identify it as dynamite. How did they arrive at this identification? Do criminals have a rule of using only dynamites in Rivers state? I recall that during the heydays of the Niger Delta militancy, it was reported that dynamites were used in all if not most of the attacks. How come?
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3xltGTqaIZwyCEX-xmmicQYjWpRV1_zvzMwIgWIZhD0VlMxtLUw[/img]

What problems do u hv with d type of weapons or explosives used? Maybe u should recommend, or possibly, supply the type used in ur area to them.
@topic. Hw sad. I only wish they spare innocent lives when carrying out their evil acts.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by humblebee: 1:42pm On Mar 01, 2012
Raxxye:

What problems do u hv with d type of weapons or explosives used? Maybe u should recommend, or possibly, supply the type used in ur area to them.
@topic. Hw sad. I only wish they spare innocent lives when carrying out their evil acts.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by humblebee: 1:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
mukina2:

Witnesses, who pleaded anonymity, said the armed robbers operated unchallenged for almost one hour and later escaped, while policemen arrived on the scene[b] two minutes[/b] after the hoodlums had left

there's something similar when it comes to Nigerian Police and Fire fighters,
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Emilo(m): 1:53pm On Mar 01, 2012
Raxxye:

Good answer to a stupid question!!!
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by newslive(f): 1:57pm On Mar 01, 2012
na waooo

Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by kemiola89(f): 2:25pm On Mar 01, 2012
the issue of armed robbery in dis country is really getting out of hand, may God save us in dis country called nigeria.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by sniperwolf(m): 2:50pm On Mar 01, 2012
c-4
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 01, 2012
Just got a call that a colleague of mine was among the  Victims of the robbery attack. Such a promising young man.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by LEXYLOV: 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2012
when confussion and insecurity grip everywhere what do you expect. The government of the day who look unable to protect themselves want to protect people? Everyone in administration from A-Z are there for themselves alone, people kill each other everyday because of political posts what do you think if not because of embezzlement they will inherits when they enter there. Only Ghana Jerry Rawling style of revolution led by a young and brave officer who will eradicate all the decays in the country can solve this problems. lipsrsealed
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 01, 2012
they will soon upgrade to military tanks
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 01, 2012
I'm in uniport,and was almost near d bank to use d atm, Only 1 death was recorded, Nd several injured, I think this story has been exaggerated,
As for d police, dey only waited for d hoodlums to escape, Den dey started forcing innocent students to du frog jumps,
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by devigblegble: 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2012
Nigeria Police grin did I hear someone say Nigeria Police grin?nna never know sey confusion dey break bone lipsrsealed
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 01, 2012

the fishermen in the niger delta normally use dynamites in catching fish. they throw it into the river, after the explosion, the dead fishes float in the water and easy to catch. due to this use of dynamite, dynamites are common in that area, thus the assumption that dynamites are always used
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by hoodboy(m): 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
It happened around 7pm not 8 and lasted for about 40 minutes and it was first bank to be exact
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 01, 2012
@rabzy01:boko haram attacks place of worship(churches)and institutions. The main motive behind this, is to steal, while bokoharam is to take lives.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
The incident happened between 7pm and 8pm; from what we gather this morning a day after, money was brought quite late on that day so its probably an insider collabo. One of our church members is amongst the injured with a bullet passing through her leg as she was going to bolt the gate of her house which is close to finbank. She is currently receiving treatment at the University teaching hospital. There was so much drama that evening, a lot of pandemonium and we really may never know the true number of people injured or dead. This is one of the disadvantages of allowing banks to operate in a largely residential area, the banks in the university have their permanent buildings on one street far from any residential area.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
Otokx, Don't be surprised i may know u.
Well, d girl in ur post stays @ dsame house wit ma frnd, She really got lucky sha, But weneva u see her, tell her she should be careful nxt time, she shouldn't have gonefurther when she sighted d guy wit a gun.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by tEsLim(m): 4:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
I'm sure someone that had a D in his WAEC should be able write the story better. I dont know how the journalists are recruited. Nobody proof reads that papers anymore.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Okijajuju1(m): 4:43pm On Mar 01, 2012
I have always said it that those so-called security doors at the banks serve zero purpose. . .

A simple dynamite would remove the freaking thing from the foundation . . . It reminds me of when some robbers used an rpg to tear open one of these new bullion vans. . The driver sef shock. . .

Anyways, welcome to the Niger Delta. . . Where dynamite is used for various purposes from fishing, to sabotaging pipelines for oil spill compensation and clean-up contracts to opening bank doors. . cool
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 01, 2012
First in Ogun, now PH.

Does anyone wanna tell us where the stolen money is going towards?
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by snowdrops(m): 5:20pm On Mar 01, 2012
And there was a similar robbery at Babcock Uni this week. So is this the new trend? Attack banks in Uni premises?
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by velo10: 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
- While the robbery was going on the uniformed officers pulled off their uniforms and ran
- The police station must have been alerted by the bank, but the distress call because of fear was ignored
- The robbers kept robbing without any hindrance. What were the police around doing then?
- At the end of the robbery, police comes to investigate
- After few days, the issue is forgotten. No trail is made on the robbers and the whole tragedy becomes history.
- The vicious circle goes on.

[size12pt]Now tell me if I'm wrong to infer that the Nigerian security situation is simply a big joke. [/size]
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 5:39pm On Mar 01, 2012
Imanuelle:

Otokx, Don't be surprised i may know u.
Well, d girl in ur post stays @ dsame house wit ma frnd, She really got lucky sha, But weneva u see her, tell her she should be careful nxt time, she shouldn't have gonefurther when she sighted d guy wit a gun.

It was dark, do not think there was NEPA at that time; don't think she sighted any gun man. A lot of people rushed into their compound to take cover but in the confusion she tried to lock the passenger gate and the sound attracted those bad guys who sent some bullets her way. Thank God she is in stable condition
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by juman(m): 5:45pm On Mar 01, 2012
Kill cabal:

Dis is wat corruption still bring back,  Guys i mean people dey vexxxxxxx

Yeah.
Re: Robbers Attack First Generation Bank With Dynamite In Port Harcourt by seechris(m): 8:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
Just a few weeks ago my cousin narrowly escaped death on his way home in ph,almost ran into a gang robbing a bank at night!he ran away from his car as the gun man turned to spray it with bullets,i couldnt believe it when i saw the pics of the car,funny that incident never made any news! Well all beware this gang robs banks at night,bankers shld balance up and leave as early as they can!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Warri - Youths Rescue Kidnap Victim, Beat Kidnappers Mercilessly / Russia Backs US Nominee Kim For World Bank Presidency / Dialogue With Boko Haram Amount To “abysmal Appeasement.” – Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.