Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,949 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa (13867 Views)

Ethiopian Airlines Apologises To Nigerian Passengers / Turkish Embassy Grants Visa Concession To Nigerian Passengers / France Cancels Transit Visa For Nigerian Passengers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by EFCC1(m): 11:52am On Mar 03, 2012
Many Nigerians aboard Arik Air and South Africa Airways flights were refused entry to South Africa on Friday.

The Southern Africa correspondent of NAN reports that the passengers were denied entry by the South Africa Port Health authority and the immigration service on the ground that they had invalid yellow fever vaccination cards.

One of the passengers, Olaminde Olaofe, told NAN that they obtained their cards from government authorised health agencies in Nigeria and added: ``This is very embarrassing and dehumanising. ``It is an embarrassment not to us as passengers alone but to the Federal Government of Nigeria that another country will say the document we, as Nigerians, obtained in our country is fake. ``We had arrived here about 5.30 a.m. and until now we are still kept at the airport by the immigration officer under the claim that our yellow fever cards are not recognised. ``Some of us are not first time travellers to South Africa and we had used the same yellow card before to enter the country. ``I obtained my card from Eti-Osa Local Government along with my brother. While I am allowed entry, my brother is held by the immigration people.’’

Olaofe said 33 school children on execution were also affected. Arik Airline Zonal Manager in South Africa, Kinsley Uzor, said 28 of the airline’s passengers were returned to Nigeria on Thursday. ``It is an unfortunate incident, 28 of our passengers who came on Thursday were returned back to Nigeria today by the immigration and the Port Health authorities.’’

He added: ``50 of our passenger in today’s flight are still at the airport right now, we are still trying to sort out the problem. ``The South Africa Immigration and Port Health are saying that they don’t recognise the yellow cards and that signature on the cards are irregular. ``We are not the issuing authority for yellow cards, our responsibility is to carry our passengers once they are cleared by the Nigeria port authorities. ``Before now, even if a passenger does not possess yellow card, at the airport he or she will be given vaccination, with payment of 50 dollars. ``But the new South Africa law says there should not be entry into the country without the vaccination card. ``Their argument is that the law stipulates that intending travellers must get vaccination 10 days before they travel.’’ Uzor said the Nigerian High Commission and the Consulate were already intervening in the matter. A Nigeria consulate staff, who spoke with NAN under condition of anonymity, confirmed that Nigerian authorities were aware of the matter. ``We are aware of the incident and we are working with the High Commission to resolve the matter,’’ the official said.

Meanwhile, Arik Air issued a statement on Friday temporarily suspending all flight operations between Nigeria and South Africa with immediate effect. A statement signed by Isla Moffett, Sales and Marketing Manager of the company, stated that the decision to suspend the daily B737-800 service between the two countries was taken due to the ongoing dispute with South African Port Health authorities on yellow fever documentation. ``Many of our Nigerian passengers have been detained and refused entry into the country in the recent month. ``The Port Health authorities cite as being incorrect or unrecognised batch number on the documentation which is mandatory proof before entrance to the country.’’

The statement said the situation had escalated ``culminating in over a hundred Nigerians and West Africa passengers travelling from the region being refused entry ,including 50 Arik passengers today. ``Arik have reached the conclusion that the irregular and obfuscating nature of this protocol is having an impact on its passengers and does not wish to proceed with operation into a country where its customers are at risk of detainment or any other measure meted out arbitrarily by the authorities.’’ In the statement, the Chairman of Arik, Michael Arumemi-Ikhide, said the airline would not stand-by and watch its passengers reach their destination after overnight flight only to be met with a protocol and procedure that was at best haphazard and at worst discriminatory to many passengers.
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/33876-nigerian-passengers-denied-entry-into-south-africa
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by werepeLeri: 12:04pm On Mar 03, 2012
SA again.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Arosa(m): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2012
In a situation like this, all naija needs to do is reciprocate. we should start asking for SA hiv status card. if they have hiv, they should be deported.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by otokx(m): 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2012
Respect is reciprocal but truth be told how many South Africans come to Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by victorazy(m): 12:41pm On Mar 03, 2012
@Arosa:
In a situation like this, all naija needs to do is reciprocate. we should start asking for SA hiv status card. if they have hiv, they should be deported.

If only our Gov. will approve that but they wount becuz they have invested in SA so much that they are now slaves to them.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2012
otokx:

Respect is reciprocal but truth be told how many South Africans come to Nigeria?

guy u serious with this your question?
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 03, 2012
Lol @ 33 school children on execution. Honesty. Who writes these crappy articles?

Anyway, It's their country so let them do as they wish.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by toyemz(f): 12:47pm On Mar 03, 2012
I think the Nigerian Govt. should look into this
It is derogatory to have to go through this as a foreigner

Health officials should seek to dialogue with south Africa over this matter to resolve it once and for all and come to the conclusion which ' yellow card' is valid and which is not.

it is really humiliating to have gone through this ordeal especially as a child.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Leemak: 12:51pm On Mar 03, 2012
Can dt happen in dis country? Look at our retardeen & clueless president GEJ instead of fixing some issues with other countries he would rather busy travelling with uncountable aides for unnecessary celebrations like birthday parties & burial ceremonies. Foolish fisherman!
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by ofala(m): 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2012
*I weep for Nigeria, my dear country*
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by ismhab(m): 1:05pm On Mar 03, 2012
May God bless South Africa for this reciprocal gesture, we Nigerians are criminal never allow us into ur country if not ,
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by slam7000(m): 1:16pm On Mar 03, 2012
Abacha would have retaliated with a red card [/b]to all their passengers for refusing our [b]yellow cards.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by slam7000(m): 1:18pm On Mar 03, 2012
quote from ismhab,

May God bless South Africa for this reciprocal gesture, we Nigerians are criminal never allow us into ur country if not ,..

That was a very silly post my friend.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by beespak7(m): 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2012
Arosa:

Triple gbam  grin
An eye for an eye, lets start asking them for hiv test cards .
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by EzePromoe: 1:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
I see that as an anti-south african programme.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by 27naira(m): 1:51pm On Mar 03, 2012
Its very unfortunate but lets be honest with ourselves, several times i have travelled through Muritala Mohammed, i have been approached by people selling yellow fever vaccine cards, it shocked me because the airport authorities are aware of this.

Don't blame SA, blame our the decay in our health system.

It's sad though.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by ismhab(m): 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2012
slam7000:

quote from ismhab,

May God bless South Africa for this reciprocal gesture, we Nigerians are criminal never allow us into ur country if not ,..

That was a very silly post my friend.

My friend, how did it become a silly post, am i lying?
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by olaezebala: 2:02pm On Mar 03, 2012
Bandit C.:

Lol @ 33 school children on execution. Honesty. Who writes these crappy articles?

Anyway, It's their country so let them do as they wish.
meself see am I fear o. Dem won kill them be that
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Arosa(m): 2:04pm On Mar 03, 2012
ismhab:

My friend, how did it become a silly post, am i lying?

I agree, your post was quite ninnyish.  undecided
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by kollinsfbi: 2:14pm On Mar 03, 2012
Let's be sincere to ourselves, how many Nigerian travellers with The International Certificate of Vaccination (yellow card) actually received vaccination? The first time I travelled out in year 2007, I was injected and issued
The yellow card in my state capital (Akure) but these days, 60% of travellers buy their cards either @ embassies upon submission of visa application or at airports upon departure without any form of injection.I think it's right for SA to force Nigerian Government to do the right thing, no vaccination no entry.The only painful part of this is the fact that many with real yellow cards will still be affected and denied entry. Shame on Nigerian Health Authority, shame on Nigerian Government.

Gbammm over and out
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by talk2tosep(m): 2:15pm On Mar 03, 2012
I think the govt here in southafrica is up for something,ashlyum seekers from ghana,nigeria ,and mali were arrested and detained in my present on thursday,later this morning I heard they have been deported.this is just a big slap on us ,
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by collinsfbi(m): 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2012
@talk2tosep,

I think that is a great development for SA government, it was revealed some months ago that there is no more asylum for Nigerians and some other countries and I think it's a very good development because I wonder why Nigerians will travel all the way to SA, overstay their visit and trying to seek asylum, for what and on what basis? Boko haram or what? If many are deported through this medium, I think it will reduce the rate at which Nigerians fleeing to SA.

Gbamm over and out
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by yemmyma: 3:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
otokx:

what respect? How many South Africans come to Nigeria to work or study? Imagine University of Capetown is in top 100 in the world and will send a student on exchange to University of Ibadan ranked in about 6000 ? O r which Nigerian company have working standard like in South Africa?
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by jidewin(m): 3:08pm On Mar 03, 2012
@collinsfbi
The issue at hand is not those seeking assylum, but the wanton and discriminatory health requirement which changed suddenly without a proper broadcast.At least the South african healt department could have issued this to their High commission in Nigeria regarding WHAT type of Yellow fever vacinnation is PERMISSIBLE.No record here that shows or prove that.
-One of the passengers, Olaminde Olaofe, told NAN that they obtained their cards from government authorised health agencies in Nigeria and added: ``This is very embarrassing and dehumanising. ``It is an embarrassment not to us as passengers alone but to the Federal Government of Nigeria that another country will say the document we, as Nigerians, obtained in our country is fake. ``We had arrived here about 5.30 a.m. and until now we are still kept at the airport by the immigration officer under the claim that our yellow fever cards are not recognised. ``Some of us are not first time travellers to South Africa and we had used the same yellow card before to enter the country. ``I obtained my card from Eti-Osa Local Government along with my brother. While I am allowed entry, my brother is held by the immigration people.’’

And another ``The South Africa Immigration and Port Health are saying that they don’t recognise the yellow cards and that signature on the cards are irregular. `
And to buttress my point on why there was no proper notice issued in advance -``Many of our Nigerian passengers have been detained and refused entry into the country in the recent month. ``The Port Health authorities cite as being incorrect or unrecognised batch number on the documentation which is mandatory proof before entrance to the country.’’
And yet another -``Arik have reached the conclusion that the irregular and obfuscating nature of this protocol

If this was not meant to be a A STYLISH CONTROL MEASURE IN PREVENTING NIGERIANS and some other west African countries nationals from entering their country,then why not simply UPTIGHT your visa requirements and use that as a control measure?.But no,they would rather not loose all the visa application fees and Repartration deposits,in some cases, which they hardly return on time as promised.

Personally,i think while the "issue is been resolved between the two commissions" The health and Immigration dept at MMA too should mete out same measure with south african nationals coming in for whatever reason,by demanding their HIV HEALTH STATUS before been allowed in.
Whats good for the goose is also good for the gander.
South African government too have business investments in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Arosa(m): 3:11pm On Mar 03, 2012
yemmy_ma:

what respect? How many South Africans come to Nigeria to work or study? Imagine University of Capetown is in top 100 in the world and will send a student on exchange to University of Ibadan ranked in about 6000 ? O r which Nigerian company have working standard like in South Africa?

Even if its just one, we should harass, detain and deport that one SA just to prove a point. angry
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Ingonyama: 3:21pm On Mar 03, 2012
I'm glad the South Africans are starting to get tough. I think we've had about enough now, angry
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Litmus: 3:28pm On Mar 03, 2012

I'm kinda curious, all these Africans who have  graduated from African Universities thousands of league places above Nigerian universities, what stride of note have they attained in the world. Can someone please show me the bright sparks, (black male or female)  from one of these universities  currently doing something of note or innovative in the world of engineering, bio-medicine, research etc?  

Personally, i find the idea of going to South Africa repulsive---
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Thespecialone(m): 3:42pm On Mar 03, 2012
I have it on good authority that most of those Nigerians on that particular flight had dagbo yellow cards. That's why some were allowed entry and others denied.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by jidewin(m): 3:44pm On Mar 03, 2012
Thespecialone:

I have it on good authority that most of those Nigerians on that particular flight had dagbo yellow cards. That's why some were allowed entry and others denied.
Including the 33 school children on EXCURSION??
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by jidewin(m): 3:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
As at late January,If you are using "DAGBO"yellow fever certifcate,your application will be turned down and visa denied.Unless you carry waka go eti osa local govt office go kollkt officially wey dem go stamp (i write am so for only my kontrimen) and sign the pages appropriately.
So with dagbo yellow certi, no visa o.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Thespecialone(m): 4:07pm On Mar 03, 2012
jidewin:

probably they paid for the sins of others. If you must know, some passengers were not allowed to board last night because of this yellow card issue.
Re: Nigerian Passengers Denied Entry Into South Africa by Pythonskin: 4:13pm On Mar 03, 2012
jidewin:

The Children were not on excursion but execution

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Incident Averted In Awka As Fuel Tanker Fails Break. / Obama To ‘decide’ Fate Of Nigerian Battling Illness, Deportation / Canadian Visa Fee?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.