Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,626 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books (8289 Views)

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / Why Are Churches In Nigeria Always Casting Out Demons From Their Members / Quote Me, Pastors Use Juju To Hold Their Members! --- Guru Maharaj Ji’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by GreyBeard: 9:29pm On Mar 04, 2012
There are many methods MOGs use to coerce their members into purchasing their material and it is very important that they do so. This is because in the majority of Pentecostal Churches, the proceeds from the sale of books and dvds goes [b]directly [/b]to the authors - that is the MOG who wrote it. The church does not see a penny of that money unless the author decides to donate a portion of it to the church. This is also the same for most daily devotionals.

So just like a musical singer makes direct income from any concerts they do, MOGs make direct income through the sales of their books and dvds. Now I would like to talk about one very effective devise used to get members to regularly purchase books that is used by some Pentecostal churches including one that claims to have Embassys for Christ in different cities in Nigeria and other countries.

Now the head of the church (or MOGs) publishes a new book called say "A New Walk With God" and needs to sell this. He has a meeting with his senior pastors and asks them to implement a Review [/b]of the book over a two week period throughout the church. And here's how the "review" method works:

- On Sunday morning in every single branch of the church the branch Pastor will announce that today the church is starting a 2 week Book Review of "A New Walk With God".

- The branch pastor will stand on the pulpit for between 10 - 20 minutes and literally "Sell" this book. He (or She) will hammer on about the spiritual and physical merits of the book and mention numerous testimonies on how the book has helped not only people he knows but also himself personally. Now bear in mind that this is happening in all the church branches at the same time.

- Next the branch pastor will announce that all the sermons for the upcoming services in the next two weeks will be based on areas with the book "A New Walk With God" and tells members that they [b]NEED
to pick themselves up a copy of the book not only to gain from the words personally but to also follow the upcoming services properly. He explains that if they do not have this book then they will be missing out on many revelations and blessing. Now bear in mind that the pastor speaking has unquestionable authority in the minds on the "committed members". So by him saying this, he has ensured that this batch of committed members will purchase the book as soon as possible.

- The pastor directs the members to the "bookshop" where enough copies of "A New Walk With God" have been stocked in anticipation of the upcoming sales.

- After the service, the pastor informs the heads of the cell groups that all individual cell meetings for the next two weeks will be based on specific chapters from the book. This guarantees that all cell group heads purchase a copy of the book.

- During the week, the cell group heads pass on the message to their members and "strongly encourage them" to buy the book so that they can contribute during the cell meetings.

- At the next church service, the pastor will openly ask the congregation to indicate by a show of hands who has a copy of "A New Walk With God" in their possession. Those who have bought the book happily wave their copies in the air and those who have not are publically shamed into buying their own copy at their earliest opportunity. Again, the thing to remember here is that this is happening in all the church branches - at the same time.

- As promised, the church services and cell meetings focus on chapters in the book and those who do not yet have a copy feel more and more compelled into taking a trip to the church bookshop where copies of "A New Walk With God" are steadily stocked up. This continues for two weeks until the "Book Review" comes to an end and just like that "A New Walk with God" may have sold over 100,000 copies world-wide - in just two weeks!

- Some churches (including the one with Embassies for Christ) can organise "Book Reviews" up to 7 or 8 times a year.  Nice!  cool

Personally, I'm not a Playa Hater. Whatever one wants to do with his/her money is their business. However, I believe people should be aware enough to make informed choices about what they are spending their hard earned cash on and more importantly - why.

The question I have is, is it right to try to influence people in this way? Do the ends really justify the means?
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by pek(m): 9:42pm On Mar 04, 2012
What is the meaning of MOGs? Does it in any way mean Men of Gods?
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by tithe(m): 9:47pm On Mar 04, 2012
Dummy talk,

If you cannot invest in spiritual things don't discourage others from doing so, Spend your time in better things and stop impugning men of God.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Shalomdee(f): 9:49pm On Mar 04, 2012
Every author is entitled to recieve reward for the effort he or she put into his or her book. There is nothing wrong if men of God sell their books. Even the Bible is sold for money is it not?
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Gsmxpert(m): 9:49pm On Mar 04, 2012
It is lugubrious that you only emphasized on the financial aspect of it. Many despirate members
rich and poor are only interested in the content of the book not where the money goes or come
from. I have personally benefited from a book called "Take back your throne" The price of it was such
an infinitesimal compared to what I derived from it.  cool cool

There will be no perbutation amongs church members as long as what they pay for is advantageous.
even if an MOG spits into a handtowel and place it on sale many people will accept it with alarcrity, believing
It has an advantage.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by GreyBeard: 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2012
pek:

What is the meaning of MOGs? Does it in any way mean Men of Gods?

@pek - Consider me duly corrected  smiley

Shalomdee:

Every author is entitled to recieve reward for the effort he or she put into his or her book. There is nothing wrong if men of God sell their books. Even the Bible is sold for money is it not?

@Shalomdee - Have you ever paid for a copy of the Gideons Bible? Besides, it's wrong to compare the Bible with any text written by a MOG today whatever the basis.

Gsmxpert:

There will be no perbutation amongs church members as long as what they pay for is advantageous.
even if an MOG spits into a handtowel and place it on sale many people will accept it with alarcrity, believing
It has an advantage.

So if I understand you correctly, it's the Faith many would pay for. Agreed! But is it right to [b]Profit [/b]from this? I think not.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Lexusgs430: 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2012
They are all as gullible as each other!!!
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nobody: 9:58pm On Mar 04, 2012
Anti-christ Embarassy is guilty. Nigga is making fortune on reselling books the congregation already paid for. Kick me
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by bros12345: 9:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
This poster needs prayer. He/she definitely doesnt have a vision for life
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by GreyBeard: 10:02pm On Mar 04, 2012
tithe:

Dummy talk,

If you cannot invest in spiritual things don't discourage others from doing so, Spend your time in better things and stop impugning men of God.

@tithe - Judging from your user name and the judgemental statement you made above I don't believe I could even have an intelligent exchange with you even if I wanted to  undecided

1 Like

Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 04, 2012
As long as i dont have to buy the books at gunpoint, I am just fine.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by SamMilla1(m): 10:06pm On Mar 04, 2012
They are just taking advantages of under educated and semi illiterates all over the place. How many white men will buy such things with their money? If you want salvation for people, dash them the books. We cant buy our salvation.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by bros12345: 10:22pm On Mar 04, 2012
Sam Milla:

They are just taking advantages of under educated and semi illiterates all over the place. How many white men will buy such things with their money? If you want salvation for people, dash them the books. We cant buy our salvation.

Its obvious that many things are still hidden from you. Pls start reading
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by KINGwax(m): 10:25pm On Mar 04, 2012
Grey Beard:

@tithe - Judging from your user name and the judgemental statement you made above I don't believe I could even have an intelligent exchange with you even if I wanted to  undecided

i'm not a fan of that man but it's evident u don't have an intelligence, How can u exchange wot u dnt have? If that is not an ad, wot is it? Secondly, when advertisin, u target your required customer. So, who does he plans to sell it to if not those written for? Now, do u expect him to hire marketers outside to do that? The same way people biliv internet or tech is evil, many still take advantage of it by using bulk sms in sending bible quotes. You use wot u have at ur disposal so sharap dude!
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by manmustwac(m): 10:29pm On Mar 04, 2012
Greybeard you are spot on. Seen this happen at Christ embassy many times
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by stagger: 10:31pm On Mar 04, 2012
Op,
you are indeed a very stu.pid human being. You can afford to buy music CDs from coke-using musicians whose lifestyles are highly immoral and whose music is pure filth, but you criticise men of God who write books for our edification?

The information passed across is what is being paid for, and I buy many of such books from local and foreign men of God without inhibitions.

It is only paupers like you who have never handled bulk money all your life that have the time to talk such nonsense!

May God pepper dat your mouth!  angry angry angry
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by teewai27: 10:35pm On Mar 04, 2012
@ op, while i dont support pastors spending more than 50 percent of their time on the pulpit advertising their books, i also thnk any one who buys books by a mog has their reasons. Like the invaluable resources and spiritual insight in those books. Some of these books have d power to change lives and thats not wat money can buy@.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 04, 2012
From the posts here it seems there are lots of christian sheeple on NL. Oh wait! NL's built for the "edification" of christian sheeple.
_
It's been scientificaly proven that you can't reason with christian sheeple, especially Nigerian christian sheeple.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by MOILOVINA: 10:44pm On Mar 04, 2012
@grey beard.
Do you realise someone paid for the Gideon`s Bible? they have partners, get ur facts right
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 04, 2012
Oh and if I were a christian (which I most definitely am not), I won't buy any text from preachers 'cause that's THEIR OPINION. As if the bible ain't confusing already.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by ekpriobong(m): 10:52pm On Mar 04, 2012
Am so happy that NLs are beginning to understand the nature of person that you are. You started gradually and now you have loose your fame here. Your inputs would not be regarded anymore by any rational human no matter how the construction may sound great. And I still repeat that your Gross Mental Output and Attitude [GMOaA] is erroneously low. You waste most of your time thinking and writing bullshit. Imagine the time you wasted to come up with this shit. Is this growth at all? The last time I told you if you don't apology and leave men of God alone if you cannot say anything good about them your future is seal and you took it as a threat but it beginning to happen. The large support you used to enjoyed whenever you drop shit here is waning and very soon you won't even be useful anymore to even yourself if you don't realize what you have done and make amends. A word they say is enough for the wise. It all left for you!

1 Like

Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by ichuka(m): 10:54pm On Mar 04, 2012
Rev3:18;I COUNSEL YOU TO BUY FROM ME GOLD REFINED IN FIRE,SO YOU CAN BECOME RICH;AND WHITE CLOTHES TO WEAR,SO YOU CAN COVER YOUR SHAMEFUL unclothedness;AND SALVE TO PUT ON YOUR EYES,SO YOU CAN SEE.
@op,
Revelation comes with a price tag.

1 Like

Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Elgaxton(m): 11:16pm On Mar 04, 2012
1 corinthians 9:8-14

7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.”[a] Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?

Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 [size=15pt]Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.[/size]

Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by zaboy: 11:32pm On Mar 04, 2012
you know, Nigerian christians are one of the most devout christians i have ever met! yet, their knowledge of christianity is zero! they only know what they are taught in church on sundays, they dont make independent research on their religion. The Pastors know this too, as soon as someone starts reading and asking questions, they will tell them the devil is playing with their minds.
If Jesus were to come back today, he will disown almost all of you guys. The christianity practiced today is totally different from what Jesus preached. A lot of paganish has been incorporated into christianity.

Read brother! emancipate yourself from mental slavery!
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by deadie(m): 11:42pm On Mar 04, 2012
People who believe in a Space Daddy deserve to be scammed this way grin grin grin
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Krazylover: 11:45pm On Mar 04, 2012
Nigga is making fortune on reselling books the congregation already paid for. Kick me [img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by teekrackz(m): 11:58pm On Mar 04, 2012
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nnenna1(f): 12:01am On Mar 05, 2012
The success of Pentecostal Churches is just one manifestation how gullible, subservient, and superstitious the average Nigerian person is.

This reminds of a story narrated to me by a family friend who lost her father. During the onset of his illness they had rushed him to the small "Christian" hospital (in our Neighborhood) in the late hours of the Night. The chief doctor, who also happened to be head pastor of his church, had received them  initially but then (I guess sensing that there was nothing he could do) asked them (quite rudely) to leave, saying that his hospital was blessed by God and was not one to harbor curses of the devil such as her father's predicament. And that they should find some other hospital who could harbor them.

His zombie assistants and nurses were also quick to usher them out too.

I will not mention names but this doctor is a highly respected professional and Christian around the parts that I lived in. Of course hearing this story strengthened my position on seeing the majority of these "men of God" (puke) for the opportunistic, fake, and anti-christian people that they are.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by tithe(m): 1:20am On Mar 05, 2012
@Op
What i don't understand is your motive for starting this thread, bible says that he that does not gather with me scatters, which one are u doing?

And why should a useless post like this be on the front page, any post that gainsay Men Of God always appear on front page of NL, you guys should promote thread that will add value to peoples life not ignoble thread like this. NONSENSE
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by gegee(m): 1:21am On Mar 05, 2012
wetin concern una. shey the pastor carry gun force people to buy their book ? mumu post make una post better tin jor.
Re: How Churches Make Their Members Buy Their Books by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 05, 2012
@OP: Are u a muslim/Islamic fundamentalist?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Celestial Church Exposed / My Right Hands Keep Shaking Since I Had An Encounter With God. / How Do You Do It?: Keep Your Eyes And Thoughts Pure!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.