Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: (3722 Views)

Life In The Usa As A Student. / How Convenient Is Student Life In Austria? / Travel Pictures And Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by fellybabe(f): 10:02pm On Oct 25, 2007
am relocating to london soon and i need tips, stories, dos,social security numbers( what's all about) tax, 30 working hours per week, getting mortgage from your bank after one year of banking. infact, all it takes to start a new life in london.
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by Seun(m): 10:04pm On Oct 28, 2007
Moved to travel section
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by anusule(m): 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2007
mortgage ke? u never land u don dey think of mortgage.
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by omega25red(m): 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2007
well my dear social security is a number you aply for and are given if you have legal status in the country you are going to and with this number all the taxes you pay while you work on the books would be recored to this number and at the begining of each year you could file your taxes with the govt and possibly get a return which is some money. People generally work 40hrs a week depending if your employer pays you while you are on your lunch break or else you would be working something like 35hrs a week minus over time which is needed now a days because things are getting tight.

I dont know how they do it in london but in the US a mortgage has to do with buying a house or property. This means that you buy your house for example with a loan that was given to you by a bank and the payments on the loan is the mortgage which is made monthly for about 30yrs depending on the price of the home you buy and the type of loan you get. A bank would not just give you a loan even if you have been banking with them for 30yrs. you have to build whats called a credit in order for you to get a good loan witha a good interest rate. Good credit means you have credit cards student loans and bils in your name and you are paying your bills on time and stuff like that. Honestly most of this stuff is based on personal experience. You might be rich and pay off your house with cash money or something but i hope this answers some of the questions you had.
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by ST3V3(m): 12:27am On Oct 31, 2007
fellybabe:

am relocating to london soon and i need tips, stories, dos,social security numbers( what's all about) tax, 30 working hours per week, getting mortgage from your bank after one year of banking. infact, all it takes to start a new life in london.

In the UK, the social security number is called (National insurance number) NINO. but its just the same as the previouse poster explained.

Just like the previous poster wrote, you will need to build a credit history first!
Dont bother your head about mortgage for now, cos it involves a process you cant jump, except you are buying off a house. Your priority now should be getting settled, getting a good job and paying your bills on time. Try not to drag urself into bills ur income can not support. After sometime (minimum 2yrs) depending on immigration status, with constant cash/wages going into ur account, with a permanent correspondence address, a permanet employment with annual income above a certain level, and your bills always payed (on time). You (might) be able to secure one. So be wise and save save save!
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by fellybabe(f): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2007
thanks guys, i appreciate
Re: Starting Life In London, Tips And Stories: by Tats(m): 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2007
www.direct.gov.uk will tell you a lot about public services and things in the UK.

Couple of things to note:

Register with the National health Service. It is free and you only need your passport showing your residence permit or your british passport if you've got one.

Register immediately with the local electoral registration office in your local council (where you reside), so that your name can be in the electoral roll/register. This is very important. Details are in the website above.

Refrain from applying for some things considered credit, such as store credit cards, bank credit cards, contract phone line, e.t.c. immediately you arrive (even if they offer the forms to you to fill). You are likely to be refused such if they do a credit check on you with the credit agencies and this would bring your rating down. Every search that results in decline brings down your credit rating. Until after you are registered in the electoral register, then the credit rating agencies can have a proper record of your address.

Do not be in a hurry to send your CV out to companies or recruitment agencies if you are looking for a job. Do it with careful thought. Any phone call you receive after you send out your CV is nearly always an informal interview and seems like a chat.

Some banks offer international accounts to new arrivals but you may need your bank statement from Nigeria to show your previous home address. (these accounts are not usually proper UK accounts, but will get you by for a while until you get a proper account)

You can apply for your National Insurance number if you have proof of evidence of looking for a job or if you have an employment letter. You will go for an interview to get this after scheduling an appointment and you will need some documents to carry along. They will tell you what to bring along when you book for the interview.

My working hours is 37 per week (I resume at 9am and close at 5pm with a lunch break)

Mortgage? Forget that side for now  grin. Come in, settle down, get a history in the country and mortgage will come later!

Tax and so on? Different bands of tax depending on how much you earn. Details are in the website above.

You can drive with your Nigerian drivers licence for only one year. You must stop driving immediately after the first year you arrived in the UK and have to get a Full UK driving licence to continue driving. The process and stress to get that one is another book chapter! Details are also in the website in motoring section.

(1) (Reply)

Canada,germany,finland, And Australia. Can 2m Take Me To Any Of These Countries? / Where Is The Best Motor Park When Travelling To Kano From Lagos? / Is Ethiopian Airlines Into Fraud?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.