Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,794 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up (1780 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 4:39pm On Mar 12, 2012
Guys I saw this topic from a previous NL poster "Is It Disrespectful To Serve A Visitor With Just 1 Piece Of Meat" (link: https://www.nairaland.com/891691/it-disrespectful-serve-visitor-just) and decided I should maybe ask the opinion of the forum on this event that happened 2 a friend of my cousin. This said lady got married about 2years ago to her University hearthrob so the couple knew themselves well b4 they married. Though the lady in question was raised well (at least I think so) problem is that she can't seem 2 please her in-laws. The latest event that I am told broke the camels back was an issue that involved food (meat to be specific). From what I heard, there was an event within the extended family. She was supposed to give specific parts of the cow that was butchered to her husbands uncles, elder cousins and brothers but since she didn't know who gets which parts she mixed it all up. I am told her husbands elders brothers and cousins got really upset and took it for a sign of disrespect ("among her many other sins" so they said) and since then have been very mad with her. People, when I wedded last year, my people told me about this part of tradition but didn't stress how serious it can be taken and I used to think it was just formality till I heard about the case I mentioned. What advice would u give to the lady in question cos she is really broken? Can anyone shed more light on this part of tradition pls?
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by MissyB3(f): 4:52pm On Mar 12, 2012
Her action should have been excused on the basis of ignorance, but some people are very difficult to please.
Just when you've done all you can and it seems peace is not forthcoming, keep your distance.
As long as she's at peace with her husband and doesn't live under the same roof with her in-laws, she should be fine.

BTW, I'm moving this to the family section.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by othenok(f): 5:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
She should stick to her hubby n ask ques. I have an aunt that was sent packing cos she ate chicken gizzard instead of giving it to her hubby Lol.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2012
othenok: She should stick to her hubby n ask ques. I have an aunt that was sent packing cos she ate chicken gizzard instead of giving it to her hubby Lol.
Wait madam, does that mean women re not supposed to eat chicken gizzard or what
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by maclatunji: 10:06am On Mar 13, 2012
Please, where are these weird cultures coming from? A girl should ask questions and visit her prospective Mother-in-law severally before taking the plunge into marriage, methinks!
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blank(f): 10:39am On Mar 13, 2012
What is the in-laws business in their family life? It is the husband puzzy i blame. How can you let your wife be held to ridicule? He should be covering her and standing his ground as head of his home. So they do family meeting and put the wife on the agenda and he will be ok with that? I jump and pass that kinda man.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 7:58pm On Mar 13, 2012
blank: What is the in-laws business in their family life? It is the husband puzzy i blame. How can you let your wife be held to ridicule? He should be covering her and standing his ground as head of his home. So they do family meeting and put the wife on the agenda and he will be ok with that? I jump and pass that kinda man.

wait till u get married na
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Outstrip(f): 8:51pm On Mar 13, 2012
Why does she have to wait to be married to know that she will not put up with that. What nonsense. I have never even heard of things like these still happening.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by 2mch(m): 10:40pm On Mar 13, 2012
tales by moonlight. What if that is all the young couple can afford. Instead of them being grateful that they were being fed, they are complaining about the food. Well, seems like there have been underlying tensions that are not being discussed, and this is a way for them to explode on the babe. She should open us and tell use the real matter. This sounds like super story.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blank(f): 5:12pm On Mar 14, 2012
drnoel:

wait till u get married na

I am married and he won't stand for such.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by ronkebp(f): 8:30pm On Mar 14, 2012
I think she should buy a whole cow to pacify her inlaws, abi!! what else can be done
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 10:10pm On Mar 16, 2012
blank:

I am married and he won't stand for such.

different strokes 4 different people my sister
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2012
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Fhemmmy: 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2012
drnoel: Guys I saw this topic from a previous NL poster "Is It Disrespectful To Serve A Visitor With Just 1 Piece Of Meat" (link: https://www.nairaland.com/891691/it-disrespectful-serve-visitor-just) and decided I should maybe ask the opinion of the forum on this event that happened 2 a friend of my cousin. This said lady got married about 2years ago to her University hearthrob so the couple knew themselves well b4 they married. Though the lady in question was raised well (at least I think so) problem is that she can't seem 2 please her in-laws. The latest event that I am told broke the camels back was an issue that involved food (meat to be specific). From what I heard, there was an event within the extended family. She was supposed to give specific parts of the cow that was butchered to her husbands uncles, elder cousins and brothers but since she didn't know who gets which parts she mixed it all up. I am told her husbands elders brothers and cousins got really upset and took it for a sign of disrespect ("among her many other sins" so they said) and since then have been very mad with her. People, when I wedded last year, my people told me about this part of tradition but didn't stress how serious it can be taken and I used to think it was just formality till I heard about the case I mentioned. What advice would u give to the lady in question cos she is really broken? Can anyone shed more light on this part of tradition pls?

May i ask what part of that animal would have gone to her husband?
How come the family that knows it all cant be the one to do the distribution since they are the one that are expert in how to distribute parts of an animal.
Besides, what is her husband saying in all these, cos it is what matters most.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Fhemmmy: 12:01am On Mar 17, 2012
chaircover: The way I look at it is if you love me then you must love my dog

Many a time in-laws say that they love their son/daughter but dont think anything of hurting their son/daughters spouse. I have never been able to understand this concept.

I will blame the husband or the wife whose parents are doing all the stuff, cos the man or the woman would have to be the to stand up for the one that is being oppressed.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by i1: 6:57am On Mar 17, 2012
I think she has commited other crimes( Ɣø̲̣̣UЯ words) but at Τ̲̅ђe same time it Ȋ̝̊̅§ for Τ̲̅ђe huSband †☺ call his family's bluff aπϑ insists she stays. $☺ men aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wimps. Even if na my papa talk A̶̲̥̅♏ Τ̲̅ђe guy no go ‎​Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ or my wife aπϑ pikin for one yeAr. Bad belle peeps.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blacklion(m): 9:58am On Mar 17, 2012
blank: What is the in-laws business in their family life? It is the husband puzzy i blame. How can you let your wife be held to ridicule? He should be covering her and standing his ground as head of his home. So they do family meeting and put the wife on the agenda and he will be ok with that? I jump and pass that kinda man.

From what I heard, there was an event within the extended family. She was supposed to give specific parts of the cow that was butchered to her husbands uncles, elder cousins and brothers but since she didn't know who gets which parts she mixed it all up. I am told her husbands elders brothers and cousins got really upset and took it for a sign of disrespect

Did you actually read the bolded?
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blacklion(m): 10:11am On Mar 17, 2012
Where I'm from, there is pretty strict protocol about things like breaking of kola nut, order of precedence in serving drinks, distribution of portions of meat etc. Its not limited to women e.g. a younger man cannot be seating and expect an elder to stand and serve him drink.

But I've never ever heard of a man being asked to send away his wife merely for not adhering to protocol in sharing meat portions. That would be really bizarre and extreme. The in-laws may rake for the iyawo who does not know the culture properly but to demand that she be kicked out merely for not sharing meat well is extreme. Never heard of it in my entire life.

Obviously the key issue is {as the OP put it] the "among her many other sins". That is the main issue - there is previous aggro between the woman and her in-laws.

And we don't know the cause of the aggro or whether the woman is at fault or the in-laws are interfering un-necessarily.

This is not necessarily about a husband wimping out on his wife in the face of his relatives - as some ladies here are trying to portray it. We don't have enough details of the story to come to that conclusion.

There is a tendency here on NL that once the word 'in-laws' appears in a story, some women here quickly jump on a sisterhood bandwagon as if every married woman is a saint and all in-laws are the devil incarnate.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blacklion(m): 10:57am On Mar 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

How come the family that knows it all cant be the one to do the distribution since they are the one that are expert in how to distribute parts of an animal.

Well, in my area, its the younger wives in the family (i.e the most recently married) that are expected to share food and meat at family occasions, younger men share and serve/pour drinks. Usually at such events, there are older wives and other female family members around the location who should be able to tell the younger wives who is entitled to what portion of meat.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 5:36pm On Mar 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

May i ask what part of that animal would have gone to her husband?
Besides, what is her husband saying in all these, cos it is what matters most.

Her hubby was initially upset with his family 4 giving his wife so much stress over what she didn't know.
When it finally downed on him that she was actually asked 2 distribute the stuff by one of his uncles that was against his wedding her (the uncle wanted him 2 marry the daughter of one of his rich business partners) he suspected foul-play. Then he told me one of his younger cousins overheard the said uncle gloating later 2 another uncle that this time they would make it so hard 4 her that his nephew will see how untrained she is, it was clear his wife was given the task cos they knew she would mess-up due to her inexperience.
I don't know what part of the animal her hubby was 2 get nor did her hubby know. Like I said he is the youngest of the brothers. The situation is tense now sha, but the hubby is very sympathetic with his wife but is saying nothing 2 his family. He told me he simply wants the stuff 2 blow over. The problem is, the extended family has told him formally that they would call him 2 discuss the issue in a few months and the couple is worried about what the uncles and elder brothers would request of his wife 2 make-up 4 the mix-up.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blacklion(m): 9:53pm On Mar 17, 2012
This is beginning to sound like Tales by Moonlight. A family meeting will be held in two months time to discuss what is at worst a minor infraction by a newly married wife due to ignorance or inexperience? These people get time on their handssmiley
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by drnoel: 8:50am On Mar 18, 2012
blacklion: This is beginning to sound like Tales by Moonlight. A family meeting will be held in two months time to discuss what is at worst a minor infraction by a newly married wife due to ignorance or inexperience? These people get time on their handssmiley

I told them the same thing. I also told them am glad that it was not my family cos I would have told everyone involved off, uncles and elder brother inclusive. What bullshit. But looks like these things do happen, cos the couple involved are family friends. U know sometimes I understand why most white people don't care so much about family cos of all this minor complications that are turned to major ones.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by blacklion(m): 2:24pm On Mar 18, 2012
drnoel:
U know sometimes I understand why most white people don't care so much about family cos of all this minor complications that are turned to major ones.

White people have social welfare, child benefits, decent public education, public housing, unemployment benefits etc provided by the government. In Africa, we have only extended family to play the role which government does in Western countries - hence most people are compelled to tolerate extended family wahala because you may need assistance from them in future.
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Fhemmmy: 2:32am On Mar 19, 2012
blacklion:

Well, in my area, its the younger wives in the family (i.e the most recently married) that are expected to share food and meat at family occasions, younger men share and serve/pour drinks. Usually at such events, there are older wives and other female family members around the location who should be able to tell the younger wives who is entitled to what portion of meat.

Time has changed that they have to stop blaming people for what they do not know . . . . If they know they deserve bigger meat or something, they could just make it a buffet, in that case, the older one goes first and serve themselves and give me a good reason, i mean very good reason, why the wives of the older husbands cant serve their own husbands . . . . .
Re: In-laws Demand She Must Go Just Cos Of A Little Mix-up by Fhemmmy: 2:33am On Mar 19, 2012
drnoel:

Her hubby was initially upset with his family 4 giving his wife so much stress over what she didn't know.
When it finally downed on him that she was actually asked 2 distribute the stuff by one of his uncles that was against his wedding her (the uncle wanted him 2 marry the daughter of one of his rich business partners) he suspected foul-play. Then he told me one of his younger cousins overheard the said uncle gloating later 2 another uncle that this time they would make it so hard 4 her that his nephew will see how untrained she is, it was clear his wife was given the task cos they knew she would mess-up due to her inexperience.
I don't know what part of the animal her hubby was 2 get nor did her hubby know. Like I said he is the youngest of the brothers. The situation is tense now sha, but the hubby is very sympathetic with his wife but is saying nothing 2 his family. He told me he simply wants the stuff 2 blow over. The problem is, the extended family has told him formally that they would call him 2 discuss the issue in a few months and the couple is worried about what the uncles and elder brothers would request of his wife 2 make-up 4 the mix-up.

They need to grow with time

(1) (Reply)

Buy Home Appliances And Pay Installmentally For 6 Months / What Makes Your Wife Special? / Hilarious Photos Showing That Kids Can Fall Asleep Anywhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.