Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,977 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Love Triangle - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Triangle (1218 Views)

The never ending crazy love triangle and How To avoid It. / Urgent Advise Needed (in A Love Triangle) / Ever Been In Love Triangle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 4:04pm On Oct 29, 2007
How is traditional marriage recognized in Nigeria?
Re: Love Triangle by IderaN(f): 4:17pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hi,
im new here and im from nigeria, im also a female like you and i understand you perfectly, it's a real love triangle. well i will suggest you study him patiently and don't jump into quick conclusions. he might be a Us citizen but that does not mean he cannot go back to nigerian to meet that woman or did he impregnate her in US? I DOUBT.
But if you really love him geniuely, you can as well throw caution to the wind but it won't pay you at all, pray to God about so he lead you.

take good care of yourself.
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 4:25pm On Oct 29, 2007
Idera, thank you for your reply. Actually she delivered the baby here in the US.
Re: Love Triangle by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2007
Your story is self explanatory,
What if you married him and he also does same to you,(i mean dump you)
Re: Love Triangle by Joey82(m): 4:45pm On Oct 29, 2007
@poster,
Take time 2 study and analyse the situation b/4 u'll b putting assunder on what is joined 2gether.
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 4:52pm On Oct 29, 2007
shocked
Re: Love Triangle by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 29, 2007
Well he says that since they were only traditionally married, there is no such thing as divorce. He claims they are no longer together, only that their families are joined. I want to believe him, because what kind of marriage could this possibly be if they live in two different countries and only see each other 2 times a year for the sake of the child.
and do you believe that
It's not about trad. marriage or not,
if he can divorce a woman who had a son for him what then do we say about you,
Re: Love Triangle by Joey82(m): 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2007
@poster,
aint trying 2 discourage u but fact remains that he's still married traditionally or other wise, in any case, b sure he's telling u d truth.
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2007
mdsocks - couldn't the point be that since they live so far apart, they just aren't able to maintain the relationship as well as someone who is in the states with him? i think it would be hard to maintain a relationship with someone you only see twice a year.
Re: Love Triangle by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2007
@nalijah07
Love dosen't know distance
What if they meet on one of such visits and they realize their past mistakes
We are not discouraging you from going on
you can take lessons from this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6197.0.html
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2007
@mdsocks. True - Love does not know distance or time.
Re: Love Triangle by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 29, 2007
@nalijah07
I understand what you saying
What i would advice that you don't rush into it,
I wish you all the best
Re: Love Triangle by omega25red(m): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2007
people with their crap answers

@ poster

Nigerian traditional marriages is only recognised by the people who were present during the ceremony it is not recognised by the govt because no marriage licenses were applied for or obtained. Also just because a man has a child with a woman doesnt mean he can't get along with her for the child's sake. he lives in the U.S and she the wife lives some where else what more do you want. At least he was forthright with you some people wouldn't even mention it.
my opinion although you still want to take it slow due to potential baby mama drama but i think you have a good man there he told you all that was going on and he is a citizen so he dont need you for papers.

if you really want to find out if there is a problem with this wife of his ask to go on vacation with him and make sure the wife comes too.
Re: Love Triangle by IderaN(f): 8:53am On Oct 30, 2007
omega25red- i like your statement because you viewed all these from a different perspective and you contributed but i tell you that because he said the truth about his life does not mean he really meant what he said.

Nalijah- you will know he is truthful if he can boldly take you to Nigeria and introduce you to his parent as his wife then i will be assured that he is really serious.

it can also be a case of a long-lost love btwn him and the lady in nigeria whereby they made promises before he left for US which resulted into pregnancy. now who is to blame here?
Re: Love Triangle by zignorr(m): 10:31am On Oct 30, 2007
My dear, marriage is marriage . . .trade with care undecided
Re: Love Triangle by sammy6(m): 11:05am On Oct 30, 2007
Are you desperate or something?The guy is married for Gods sake.Let him even get a divorce first b4 you should even start to consider him.I hope you guys have not stated, (you know what)
Re: Love Triangle by onyekang1(f): 11:40am On Oct 30, 2007
$ammy:

Are you desperate or something?The guy is married for Gods sake.Let him even get a divorce first before you should even start to consider him.I hope you guys have not stated, (you know what)
WORD
@ poster
besides, the last time i checked,the holy book says,THOU SHALL NOT CONVERT YOUR NEIGHBOUR'S WIFE/HUSBAND (as the case mayb)/ GOODS.for crying out loud,d guy is still marrieddddddddddddddddddddddddd HABA! dnt be deceived by all those SWEET NUSERY RHYMES he tends 2 feed u with, cos all that glitters is not GOLD.wateva decision you make, i wish u all d best wink
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 12:19pm On Oct 30, 2007
@$ammy - how would he get a divorce wih a traditional marriage?
Re: Love Triangle by chychy(f): 12:46pm On Oct 30, 2007
Matters of the heart are so delicate yet complicated.
I want to believe for your sake that he's being truthful and while no licenses are issued at traditional weddings, marriage is still marriage.
It's easy for me to tell you to follow your heart but my dear, you have to use your head. Do you think he is worth all the drama? While it is not a crime for him and his "so called ex" to be on good terms because of the kid, how do we know there isn't more to it than meets the eye?
Snoop around, ask questions, conduct research, find out as much as you can about him and the "ex". And please can someone answer why a guy would marry for the sole purpose of child rearing?

All i can say is that you should tread carefully. I admire the fact that he told you some part of the truth though.
Re: Love Triangle by IderaN(f): 1:01pm On Oct 30, 2007
@nalijah
   traditonal marriage is done in a TRADITONAL WAY. Its an agreement between both parties to get married. the guy has paid her Dowry. he has brought money, yam, palm oil and other necessary things to show that he is interested in taking their daughter home WITH HIM.

he is married traditionally not legally you are thinking, POINTBLANK  shocked
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2007
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I now have a general question. Why do people opt for the traditional marriage if the legal marriage carries more weight?
Re: Love Triangle by sidje005(m): 3:13pm On Oct 30, 2007
firstly, traditional marriage is part of the cultural bedrock of the people, they cherish it a lot. legal marriage is more of a formalistic form of marriage meant to formally announce the marriage in case of sociopolitical matters. it will be imperative if you note that even after most traditional marriages, the couple still head for the court. so it is always two-in-one. but before i can profer further answers to your question i'd like to say, u are not yet in the triangle, its just an apparent triangle that will be formed only if you wish to be a new vertice. your own personal disposition matters in the situation but like an important adage amongst the yorubas, "oja ti omo ba ti wo okuta ti wo", a marriage that has a child in between, is very delicate. but see check it out this way, if you love him "madly" like he loves you and you are so willing to get him, bear it in mind that you are automatically a second wife. because no matter hw mad he is he will still kip it in mind that he has a son and i dnt think it he would like to jeopardize that. and then if he wants to jeopardize that because he said he madly loves you? girl thats a better indication that the stick we use in chatising the first wife is in stock for the second wife,  traditional marriages are accepted in the laws of the land and hence it is quite formal/ look before you leap
Re: Love Triangle by sidje005(m): 3:17pm On Oct 30, 2007
just think about urself first and know if u can really dig it or not
Re: Love Triangle by Joey82(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2007
nalijah07:

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I now have a general question. Why do people opt for the traditional marriage if the legal marriage carries more weight?

cos african customs only recongnise traditional marriage as d only means of tying d nuptial knot. after which u can go do which ever kinda wedding u choose.
Re: Love Triangle by ksmiles: 11:52am On Oct 31, 2007
I guess your mind is already made up because you keep on taking his sides just to justify yourself, Its not done that way my dear,

In nigeria, Traditional Marriage has it all, Both families get to know each other and there is a kind of bond formed,

I really wont tell you what to do, but just think before taking any step, because one dangerous step can disrupt your life,

But Remember that "When you meet that special someone you'll understand why it didn't work out with anyone else."
Re: Love Triangle by bebe2007(m): 10:29am On Nov 02, 2007
Traditional marriage is recognised in Nigeria. Its recognised in our courts. It allows polygamy!!! so he can stay married to his baby mama and marry you aswell. Divorce here would be to go to the ladies family and request for his bride price back. He would have to take her home, tell her people he is no longer interested and ask for his money and goodies back.

I know you love him and all but is he the only guy in the US?? babes try other blokes ok, do not get involved with this polygamist. You would get hurt. YOu could follow him down to Nigeria and meet his people. Thats the only way you will know the truth for sure. But like i earlier said, its not a good idea to get involved.
Re: Love Triangle by nalijah07(f): 5:47am On Nov 19, 2007
@sidje005. How would I be known as the "second wife"? Here in the US I would be considered the only wife, because legally traditional marriage is not recognized here.

Also, if this is a polygamist situation, how would the "first wife" receive me. He tells me that she has been informed of our relationship.

(1) (Reply)

How Would You Act And Behave? / Closed / Tell Me Why Your Friend Would Go After Your Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.