Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

The Truth About Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About Lagos (11137 Views)

Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra / 7 Annoying Things About Lagos / Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Lagos by Sagamite(m): 1:54pm On Mar 19, 2012
E nice: You seen to forget that lagos has always been innovative in policy making. She is the first state to show that IGR can be used to develope a state without going cap in hand to abuja, First in PPP projects, first in BOT projects, etc. All this because of the visionary leadership of Fashola. Lagos leads others follow.

That is not innovative. I am sure it was copied from some other city outside Nigeria.

Immitation is not innovation, Mr Man.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by MeGaStReEt: 1:56pm On Mar 19, 2012
All the road they [b]patched [/b]in the run up to last April election are turning back to their old pot-hole self
Re: The Truth About Lagos by scriptwizz: 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2012
bilms: THE TRUTH ABOUT LAGOS

Many would say that the Lagos government has performed and i would ask, show me their works.

Lagos State has no doubt changed,but so is every other states of Nigeria. Taking a look around Lagos,i can't but lament poor government presence in most part of the state just like other states. Many are fast to praise the government for doing well due to the media hype,but truly,i have not seen anything in Lagos that worth the massive praise the government had received.

Can you please mention exactly what the masses in Lagos had enjoyed from the government? Some would jump at comparing Lagos with other states and it is reasonable,but in comparing two states,you should tell us how much does the state you compare Lagos with earn from FG and what they make internally. In my view,the truth about Lagos state is that,it made the poor poorer to the comfort of the rich.

i think the LGA bosses shld take the blame and not fashola.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
If dia is one thing I hate nairalanders for,it is dia inability 2 educate witout throwing punches
Re: The Truth About Lagos by mikron(m): 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ poster you are wrong. Fashola has done well in lagos state. Most govs have failed and are still failing. A good example was my former state gov timipre sylva of bayelsa
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bilms(m): 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
With due respect to the lagos state government and those who thinks they have done enough to deserve all the praises..

I used to live in Lagos in between 2003-2005,ogudu in ojota to be precise. i left lagos in 2005 which means that i know the situation b4 fashola came on board and the situation now.

I lived in ilorin from 2000 till 2003 b4 i move to lagos,i know what kwara looked like then and now.

I have been permanently living in abuja since 2006 till date and in between, i have visited over 15 states in Nigeria.

But truly,i do not see anything better in lagos to the other states i have visited,if compared to the resources available to those other states is considered.

What we all must know is kwara for example,receive between 2-3 billion naira from FG monthly and generate around 2bilion internally. The summation of its monthly resources is around 5billion.

Now, if the kwara state govt invested 2 billion into the state and embezzle 3billion for example,it has invested 40% of its resources. But lagos for example earn around 50billion naira monthly both from FG and internal generated funds,if it invested 10billion naira and embezzle 40billion, it has embezzled 80% and invested 20%.

the level of development you would witness in lagos that invested 20% would be higher than that of kwara that invested 40%. The Lagos state govt would praise for embezzling 80% why the kwara state govt would be seen as not working.

But my question to you is,
Can you please mention exactly what the masses in Lagos had enjoyed from the government?
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Dipwater(m): 2:36pm On Mar 19, 2012
Enuuf of the praises abeg. Na I'm money edey take do the work. Fashola workd sha in away but much is still xpectd. My poeple 8 yrs is okay 4 a visionary leader to change a lot of thngs. Nobody is saying he shuld perform magic. But those living in lagos wants to see more. fine the man try. He shuldnt stop there he shuld continue working and stop living in past glory, changing a lot,constructing more roads, building project with affordable rent to reduce the cost of renting a haus. He shuld remove area boys 4rm the roads and rehabilitate dem he shuld work tirelessly to make lagos a. Very very clean state. My people money dey the contry. Make. Im use the money well well and we go see many many changes. Security na anoda india film
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bilms(m): 2:39pm On Mar 19, 2012
To add to my submission,Good governance is not about textbooks, kwara state has been giving free textbook since 2004 as i am aware,former osun state govt give free books,even free meal to students everyday and i think the current govt is also doing it.

The measure of governance should be based on How much does the gvt have and how did it spend it,the policy it implemented,how many percentage benefited and how many is affected,is the govt working for the poor or rich? ..that is the measure of good govt in my opinion. So please, can you mention how the lagos masses benefited from the govt?
Re: The Truth About Lagos by fm7070: 2:45pm On Mar 19, 2012
If Nigeria is changing the same way Lagos is changing, no one will have any course to complain. The change may be slow, but its sure and evident
Some people just lack ability to think deep and wide.
You can drive smoothly around Lagos without ditches
Good healthcare for common man
Good schools
The road BRF Government constructs has drainages and as such will last longer.
Better Security
Unique innovation - PPP
many more.

I am not saying that Fashola is a saint or he's the best or that he doesn't have mistakes, but HE TRY NO BE SMALL. What has PDP governors and even Federal GOvernment been able to change since 1999.
No light
Bad Federal Roads (i almost died along Ibadan Ife Road when I ran into a deadly ditch at night)
No security
No innovation
Too much promises, no action
Bad policies
Fuel increment
Boko Haram
koro-koro Corruption
Bad leadership.

Igbinedion rulled Edo State for 8years, nothing to show for it.

I am not a polician, neither have I gained anything directly from politics, but it is only a f0ol that will say Fashola has not done anything.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by stillme(m): 2:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
I dont blame the poster. So quick to forget the old lagos. I,also thought Fashola has not done anything until recently i was watching an old movie and i saw Lagos of 90s,then i realised he has done much. The outlook of lagos is changing but lagosians has refused to change.
For lagos to better lagosians has alot to do. Lagosians non-challant attitude is a problem to development of this state. Fashola has really touched the lives of most lagosians by teaching them how a normal human being should live and how he should take care of his environment.
If fashola can help some people gain back their senses,then he has done a lot.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Dipwater(m): 2:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
Don't 4get dat evriwher in lagos is market imagine!. Instead of relocating them he wuld distroy it and build anoda one without compensating the market people. Alot of slums in lagos shuld be distroyd and replacd with govt hauses with an affordable price 4 rent. Our transport sysem is 18 century style.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by MORNDEW(m): 3:11pm On Mar 19, 2012
Are you so blind that you cant see the improvement that has taken place over the years in Lagos
if you have nothing to post, why dont you go and sleep.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Enice(m): 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2012
Sagamite:

That is not innovative. I am sure it was copied from some other city outside Nigeria.

Immitation is not innovation, Mr Man.
How many state goverment collects tax in nigeria? If that is not innovation, then you should have a rethink. A country where people hardly pay tax and are oppose to change? Where it is difficult to take even one naira from a man. why did other state governors (even the FG in the case of the NIPP project and road concession) wait for lagos to act before doing theirs? Because Fashola is an achiever. they learn from him. Is that not innovation?
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Sagamite(m): 4:03pm On Mar 19, 2012
E nice: How many state goverment collects tax in nigeria? If that is not innovation, then you should have a rethink. A country where people hardly pay tax and are oppose to change? Where it is difficult to take even one naira from a man. why did other state governors (even the FG in the case of the NIPP project and road concession) wait for lagos to act before doing theirs? Because Fashola is an achiever. they learn from him. Is that not innovation?

So because no other state IN NIGERIA collects tax when Lagos started collected tax, that means Lagos has "innovated" the art of tax collection!

Fck me Lawd! undecided

Go and buy a dictionary and look up the meaning of innovation.

So if I start learning Tongan when no other Nigerian speaks Tongan, then I have "innovated" learning a new language? grin

Kai! Jesu Olugbala! grin
Re: The Truth About Lagos by omoeso(m): 4:04pm On Mar 19, 2012
WahWith due respect to the lagos state government and those who thinks they have done enough to deserve all the praises..

I used to live in Lagos in between 2003-2005,ogudu in ojota to be precise. i left lagos in 2005 which means that i know the situation b4 fashola came on board and the situation now.

I lived in ilorin from 2000 till 2003 b4 i move to lagos,i know what kwara looked like then and now.

I have been permanently living in abuja since 2006 till date and in between, i have visited over 15 states in Nigeria.

But truly,i do not see anything better in lagos to the other states i have visited,if compared to the resources available to those other states is considered.

What we all must know is kwara for example,receive between 2-3 billion naira from FG monthly and generate around 2bilion internally. The summation of its monthly resources is around 5billion.

Now, if the kwara state govt invested 2 billion into the state and embezzle 3billion for example,it has invested 40% of its resources. But lagos for example earn around 50billion naira monthly both from FG and internal generated funds,if it invested 10billion naira and embezzle 40billion, it has embezzled 80% and invested 20%.

the level of development you would witness in lagos that invested 20% would be higher than that of kwara that invested 40%. The Lagos state govt would praise for embezzling 80% why the kwara state govt would be seen as not working.

But my question to you is,
Can you please mention exactly what the masses in Lagos had enjoyed from the government?

(Report Post) (Quote Post) Like

What a moronic contribution. Thot was never going to say anything until I saw this reply. Comparing ilorin to Lagos. My friend (not sure though) now u comparing a town to a state. What's d population of Ilorin compared to lagos. I live in lagos and sincerely I do visit ilorin almost once a month. Is ilorin the only town in kwara state? Ve u visited other parts of kwara... Offa and co? Only development u see in kwara is down there in ilorin as if other parts of kwara does not exist. Even there in ilorin, the only good things u see are around the GRA. That's all. I beg don't say rubbish here. Lagos with over 15M resident... U think say e easy? Do u know how many roads are there in lagos?
Pls give Kudos where its due. This man has done so well. Maintaining infrastructures costs a lot not to talk of building new ones. In terms of roads, accommodation, health, education, management,beatification etc for over 15M ppl? Pls dis man try. Some of ui self no fit manage ur family of 5 talk less of managing your street... Rubbish!!!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by mayorlee1: 4:10pm On Mar 19, 2012
u ar rite my brother..
Re: The Truth About Lagos by sped1oro(m): 4:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
You can never assess a leader for what he has done until he vacates his position by way of expired tenure or naturally through death,so lets wait for him to finish his tenure and we can begin proper assessments.As for me Fashola is now taking one step forward and two backward.Shikena!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by presfedrep: 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Enice(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
Sagamite:

So because no other state IN NIGERIA collects tax when Lagos started collected tax, that means Lagos has "innovated" the art of tax collection!

Fck me Lawd! undecided

Go and buy a dictionary and look up the meaning of innovation.

So if I start learning Tongan when no other Nigerian speaks Tongan, then I have "innovated" learning a new language? grin

Kai! Jesu Olugbala! grin
i rest my case.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bilms(m): 5:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
lol
Re: The Truth About Lagos by chosen04(f): 5:45pm On Mar 19, 2012
Fashola's government is a Big Charade. Infact, the only time that Fashola and his God father has succeeded in doing is just ''growing Area boys and omonile''.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by emmatok(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
The OP is truly on crack cocaine.

If Fashola has done noting in Lagos what are your complaining about.

Just go to your villa.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by DuduNegro: 6:06pm On Mar 19, 2012
People are getting agitated about Fashola's promise for 2015 and this post is just veiled attempt to attack and discredit Fashola, it's not about what Lagos stands for.

The poor gets poorer is a wrong index of assessment when you are calling for measurable results. Just what do you call poor, do you mind to define, OP?
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Akshow: 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2012
babaowo: @ op....how do want to see fast development when u ppl troops into lagos 100,000 daily and never go back.If u know ur not comfortable in lagos Pls we will arrange transport fare for u to go back to your beautifull villages thanks.
i couldnt av said it beta. Awon free loader oshi wey no de siddon dere fillage, only 4 anoda man town.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by 4q: 6:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ OP, question for you, do you live in Lagos?

Memory and mind are very interesting part of us human, we get so use to things that we totally forget how they were before. Who can remember how these locations were before, be it POP eye governor, be it BRF. Anybody is free to add locations as i don't know all of lagos.
1) Marina in Lagos.
2) Oregun Road.
3) Murtala Muhammed Way
4) Oshodi
5) Eric Moore Road.
6) Awolowo road Ikoyi
Re: The Truth About Lagos by oraclefemi(m): 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2012
If Fashola hasnt done anything what are you still doing in Lagos? why is everyone relocating to lagos with all their problems overwhelming the small resources? he has tried, i used to help my mom sell stuff at oshodi market way back from 1996 and trust me ive seen it all with the endless mugging, i am an eye witness of how they snatch your gold necklace around oshodi, now i can drive in that area and shit wont happen, he is not perfect but he is trying, go to Ekiti where i graduated from and you will appreciate lagos and its traffic!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 7:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
oraclefemi: If Fashola hasnt done anything what are you still doing in Lagos? why is everyone relocating to lagos with all their problems overwhelming the small resources? he has tried, i used to help my mom sell stuff at oshodi market way back from 1996 and trust me ive seen it all with the endless mugging, i am an eye witness of how they snatch your gold necklace around oshodi, now i can drive in that area and shit wont happen, he is not perfect but he is trying, go to Ekiti where i graduated from and you will appreciate lagos and its traffic!

I don't think the OP is saying he hasn't tried. He's just saying that he's over-hyped.

And what has Fashola not doing anything got to do with "what are you still doing in Lagos?". Haven't people always lived in lagos despite the odds?
Re: The Truth About Lagos by dadicvila(m): 7:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
dabrake: Fashola don work. I lived in lagos from birth till 2004 before relocating to Uyo. Coming back to Lagos for my SIWES programme, I can boldly tell you that BRF have done above average. There is nowhere in this world where you won't find slums. Besides, Lagos is a difficult place to govern. The number of area boys in lagos is outnumbers Akwa Ibom's population. You just must give credit to BRF
shocked
dabrake: Fashola don work. I lived in lagos from birth till 2004 before relocating to Uyo. Coming back to Lagos for my SIWES programme, I can boldly tell you that BRF have done above average. There is nowhere in this world where you won't find slums. Besides, Lagos is a difficult place to govern. The number of area boys in lagos is outnumbers Akwa Ibom's population. You just must give credit to BRF
Re: The Truth About Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 8:43pm On Mar 19, 2012
@@@@@

it clear that with all the money generated and allocated lagos is getting less value

now thats not good enuff

give a local council that amount and see how much road network they will do with that which will last for years in UK
Re: The Truth About Lagos by DrKnow1(m): 8:55pm On Mar 19, 2012
Opposition foot soldiers at work!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Ninilowo(m): 9:06pm On Mar 19, 2012
I ve said it before. all politicians are PROFESSIONAL IGNORAMUS. Only Ikoyi, Obalende and V.I are developed.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by chucky234(m): 12:43am On Mar 20, 2012
I don't even understand how people reason,imagine a sane man saying Fashola has done well because Lagos has 15 million dwellers. What has the dwellers got to do with developing the state,do you how much Lagos state generates daily.
Fashola is only governing Ikeja,Ikoyi,V/Island,Yaba,Oshodi-Apapa Exp. Way as well as Badagry Exp. Way, what happen to the other places where the poor lives like Okoko,Iba,Ajangbadi,Agric,Satellite Town,Maza-Maza,Ajegunle,Amukoko,Orile,Mushin,Surulere,Ijora, e.t.c
The man is ruling the rich instead of the poor,Lagos state has the worst roads in Nigeria,Asaba,Owerre,Calabar and PH have better roads than our darling Lagos. The only roads we can boast of is the Lekki/Epe concession roads which ironically is the only standard roads in Nigeria (but all know the story of that road).
Go to South Africa or Botswana and see infrastructures in cities that has far less revenue generation than Lagos,then you will know that Lagos is a mega bush,we love Lagos and that's we can't do without living in Lagos but to say that Fash has perform with the kind of revenue Lagos generates is a taboo.
8 years is more than enough to record significant achievement with the money we have in this state
Eko Ba Je lo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo Pays Tunji Braithwaite's Famiy A Condolence Visit - Photos / 2017 Ogun State Christmas Carol Service In Pictures / Emir Of Bungudu, Hassan Attahiru, Still With Kidnappers Despite N20m Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.