Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

The Truth About Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About Lagos (11140 Views)

Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra / 7 Annoying Things About Lagos / Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Lagos by bilms(m): 1:14pm On Mar 18, 2012
THE TRUTH ABOUT LAGOS

Many would say that the Lagos government has performed and i would ask, show me their works.

Lagos State has no doubt changed,but so is every other states of Nigeria. Taking a look around Lagos,i can't but lament poor government presence in most part of the state just like other states. Many are fast to praise the government for doing well due to the media hype,but truly,i have not seen anything in Lagos that worth the massive praise the government had received.

Can you please mention exactly what the masses in Lagos had enjoyed from the government? Some would jump at comparing Lagos with other states and it is reasonable,but in comparing two states,you should tell us how much does the state you compare Lagos with earn from FG and what they make internally. In my view,the truth about Lagos state is that,it made the poor poorer to the comfort of the rich.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Lagos by adino(m): 2:58pm On Mar 18, 2012
Lagos is a mega hype, and oga Fashola is the perfect con Master. What a blessing to his people, who will only discover the great damages done to them long after Fashola leaves Govt. house.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Ejine(m): 3:04pm On Mar 18, 2012
adino: Lagos is a mega hype, and oga Fashola is the perfect con Master. What a blessing to his people, who will only discover the great damages done to them long after Fashola leaves Govt. house.

I'm seriously worried this has always been in norm in most cases. I hope I'm proven wrong by Fashola in 2015 tho'.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 5:02pm On Mar 18, 2012
Make sycophant ekoile catch una. But OP you're spot on.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bilms(m): 9:17am On Mar 19, 2012
may God help us
Re: The Truth About Lagos by achi4u(m): 12:08pm On Mar 19, 2012
mega govr + mega state = 2magabush.

odeshi!!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Idango(m): 12:15pm On Mar 19, 2012
And the condition of roads in lagos, i mean street roads where common people live is so horrible now that in the 12 years that i have lived in lagos, it has never been like this. Somebody will tell me that the local government are not helping out. Some body will tell me that Tinubu is chopping all the money. Fasola can say no to God father-ism like Ngige.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by ayobase(m): 12:22pm On Mar 19, 2012
bilms: THE TRUTH ABOUT LAGOS

Many would say that the Lagos government has performed and i would ask, show me their works.

Lagos State has no doubt changed,but so is every other states of Nigeria. Taking a look around Lagos,i can't but lament poor government presence in most part of the state just like other states. Many are fast to praise the government for doing well due to the media hype,but truly,i have not seen anything in Lagos that worth the massive praise the government had received.

Can you please mention exactly what the masses in Lagos had enjoyed from the government? Some would jump at comparing Lagos with other states and it is reasonable,but in comparing two states,you should tell us how much does the state you compare Lagos with earn from FG and what they make internally. In my view,the truth about Lagos state is that,it made the poor poorer to the comfort of the rich.

somebody came around to fix what has been for decades.though our rights,but still worth being appreciated unlike those that have been denying us!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by ayobase(m): 12:23pm On Mar 19, 2012

somebody came around to fix what has been for decades.though our rights,but still worth being appreciated unlike those that have been denying us!
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 19, 2012
His supporters are always quick to tell you he has done some roads and some other things but @ what cost to the taxpayers? Lagos is slowly but steadily becoming an elite state.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by dabrake(m): 12:25pm On Mar 19, 2012
Fashola don work. I lived in lagos from birth till 2004 before relocating to Uyo. Coming back to Lagos for my SIWES programme, I can boldly tell you that BRF have done above average. There is nowhere in this world where you won't find slums. Besides, Lagos is a difficult place to govern. The number of area boys in lagos is outnumbers Akwa Ibom's population. You just must give credit to BRF

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Lagos by AjanleKoko: 12:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
I would still say that the government has done a lot. Especially when I compare with states with a similar revenue allocation profile: In particularRivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Delta.

Major roads are being fixed (Apapa Expressway is an exception), transportation is being restructured (BRT and the licensing of cab companies, as opposed to all-comer transportation model), there is an emphasis on a clean environment (beautification of major districts and highways, as well as an increase in street sweeping and drains cleaning), and even healthcare is getting a revamp (general hospitals in Lagos Island, Ikeja, Agege off College Road and Gbagada have new structures, new equipment). In fact LASUTH is now much better than the Federal LUTH. You can't discount LASTMA, even though Tinubu started it, Fashola hasn't allowed it to descend into a farce.

One of the major improvements I have seen in Lagos include the Lawanson-Itire road network all the way to Cele. Also the cleanups of Oshodi and Mushin, and the work done on the Orile-Badagry expressway. Also the work of LASAA is much more positive, and the signage space is becoming a lot saner. I drove down to Agiliti, a much-neglected area behind Mile 12, and the Chinese are building a massive road and bridge. That's a low-income area, which is easy for a government to neglect.

Lastly, I think the government has done a lot to improve its revenue-generating portfolio. A lot of previously-unregulated spaces are now being levied, unlike the free-for-all Lagos we were used to in the past. Land use, tenement rates, in this past, this was awuf for some random local government touts. State government has taken those over now. Those who own property know now that you need to pay your levies else they will seal up your place. That can't have made the typical shylock Lagos landlords happy, they are used to swallowing rent and paying nothing to government.

All said, the government has done well, they've tried to start the process of moving Lagos to modern-city status. They're not perfect, they also play their politics, but at least they won't leave the state the way they met it.

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About Lagos by lacasa: 12:31pm On Mar 19, 2012
If BRF has not performed in lag, then I dnt knw who will ever perform. Let's giv credit where it is due
Re: The Truth About Lagos by anydek: 12:33pm On Mar 19, 2012
Comparatively, Lagos State has not performed more than any state in terms of internally generated revenue and statutory allocation accrued to it.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bimboashiru: 12:34pm On Mar 19, 2012
Fashola has really done well for Lagos.

http://www.otunbabimboashiru.com
Re: The Truth About Lagos by ochukoccna: 1:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
The number of area boys in lagos is outnumbers Akwa Ibom's population.
LMAO!
Lagos ,city of dreams and schemes
Only state you see Ibadan ['you fight lion' tribal marked] boys collecting 'owo ile' and omo onile bearing Chukwudi. wink grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Lagos by shadrach77: 1:09pm On Mar 19, 2012
the poster is 100% right - BRF is over-rated. He did a little bit during his first term and relaxed towards the end of his first term. He hasn't done anything since. He is living on past glory angry grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: The Truth About Lagos by tunde300us(m): 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2012
Let the OP be specific about the areas he has issues with,i know the one way to fail in life is to try and satisfy everyone.The lagos state govt to my believe is trying to do its best despite the massive population in lagos.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Ayor93(m): 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2012
shadrach77: the poster is 100% right - BRF is over-rated. He did a little bit during his first term and relaxed towards the end of his first term. He hasn't done anything since. He is living on past glory angry grin cheesy wink smiley
THRASH
Re: The Truth About Lagos by babaowo: 1:19pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ op....how do want to see fast development when u ppl troops into lagos 100,000 daily and never go back.If u know ur not comfortable in lagos Pls we will arrange transport fare for u to go back to your beautifull villages thanks.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by akinmax: 1:20pm On Mar 19, 2012

it is possible for you not to see it because you are so blind.A state that has more than 15million dwellers ,trying to maintain law and order that is far beyond any state in this country ,revamping decline/abandoned infrastructures,curtailing the ever increasing overhead cost- I doubt if there is any state in Nigeria that has employed more worker than Lagos state govt,from slum to mega city project.lagos, like most big city of the world is not an egalitarian society it is a capitalist society, no free lunch,if you a have potential(s) you will compete favorable well irregardless of where you come from and get real value for your effort in Lagos unlike other parts of the country .
Re: The Truth About Lagos by bid4rich(m): 1:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
Only a blind man wil not see what fashola has done. I did not appreciate Lagos until i went outside of lagos to see the diff. PH was disapointing, Anambra, rubbish, Benue where i am now dilapitated. Oh my God! Only Abuja and Asaba cum Edo stands out. God bless Lagosians, God bless Fashola, God bless Nigeria.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Kakatazz(f): 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2012
Yes yes yes.My kid got FREE health care in of Lagos state's ultra modern hospitals. wink
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Seun(m): 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2012
Kakatazz: Yes yes yes.My kid got FREE health care in of Lagos state's ultra modern hospitals. wink

It was not free. It was paid for by other people's tax. Your kid got the health care and they paid the bills.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Sagamite(m): 1:33pm On Mar 19, 2012
To all the fooola talking trash on this thread, if you had a brain in your head, you will not be talking moronic thrash about the impact Fashola is making.

Let me be clear to you, you are suppose to shut up and learn from us with superior brains.

Here comes the lecture:

Lagos was in a fcking mess well before Fashola. A serious fcking mess that Fashola has to start untangling. This untangling would inevitably bring some pain and if you brain was not made of cement and you have worked at a high level solving complex problems, you would not be asking for immediate impacts.

If you were well educated, you would understand the structure and systems the man is putting in place in all parts of the government that would lead to SUSTAINABLE CHANGE, not the firefighting change your daft brains are used to. Most good and sustainable change are slow and normally have highly-vocal, person doubting Thomases.

Focus on the vision, you fucktards. I am PISSED morons like you have a right to vote and your vote carries equal weight as mine.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Baawaa(m): 1:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
Fashola is not a politician but a leader!!Kudos to him,the poster of this topic is a useless politician grin
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Demdem(m): 1:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ Poster

am based in PH, currently in lagos. Just come over to PH side and also have a look at bayelsa and probably Delta. i believe u will have a rethink. Fashola to me is trying however a lot still needs to be done.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Exponental(m): 1:41pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ OP, wat do u expect 4m him n tell us how he can or should have achieved it.
D ijesha/cele bridge (a real blessing 2 many)..........guy, go google, d depreciation was bad, so dont expect a complete revolution within a short time.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by Enice(m): 1:43pm On Mar 19, 2012

You seen to forget that lagos has always been innovative in policy making. She is the first state to show that IGR can be used to develope a state without going cap in hand to abuja, First in PPP projects, first in BOT projects, etc. All this because of the visionary leadership of Fashola. Lagos leads others follow.
Re: The Truth About Lagos by begwong: 1:48pm On Mar 19, 2012
@op,are you from the PDP secretariaat in agege or ajegunle?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Poor Road Network At Iyana Ejigbo / 3 Beneficiaries Of Amnesty Programme Graduate With First Class From Belarus.PICS / President Buhari Set To Sign Continental Free Trade Agreement..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.