Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,186 members, 7,860,260 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:27 AM

Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? - Foreign Affairs (143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? (183756 Views)

Why Are They So Many White People In Accra? / Why Are White People Claiming Africa ? / South Africa Is Racist Towards White People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (162) (Go Down)

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
AwodwaGyanOniwe: I didn't MTN was big in Mid east Afghanistan and Pakistan grin grin grin grin
EVERYWHERE U GO, WE'RE THERE. YOUR MONEY OUR BUSINESS!!!!!! RSA!!!!!!RSA!!!!!!!RSA!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Not in a developed market yet. MNT runs things in the third world countries. Bwahaha...
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by 14(m): 1:22am On Sep 03, 2014
AwodwaGyanOniwe: Martyn
Note: MTN made $2,5 billion in profit in Naaigayria 57m subscribers cheesy Thats not money thats NOTHING. Thats far lesser to what shoprite makes in other parts of Africa cheesy Bantulands of course. For me RSA firms must focus on

BANTULANDS, Population=over 450 million people living south of equator.

SW Cameroon, CAR, Gabon,Equitorial,Cong Brazza,Congo Kinshasa,Angola Guinea,Kenya,Uganda,Tanzania,Burundi,Rwanda,Malawi,Mozambique,Zambia,Zimbabwe,Namibia,Botswana,Swaziland,Lesotho etc..We must help these DEVELOP INFRASTRUCTURALLY even help them in farming like Congo these days gets help from SA farmers.
grin grin grin grin

Many people have this illusion that SA companies are making more money in Naigeria than in SA, which is not correct.

Shoprite has 20 stores in Naijeria, and Their have over 2000 stores in SA. Do the maths

DStv has 800 000 subscribers in Naigeria, and they have over 4 million subscribers in SA, do the maths
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by 14(m): 1:30am On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija:
Not in a developed market yet. MNT runs thing in the third world countries. Bwahaha...

So which developed country has any Nigerian company invested in? I mean a country with a GDP of $500B but with $23B budget fr 160m people, No liquidity, no nothing. Nigeria is the richest country on paper, but in reality, you are broke, you got no money.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:05am On Sep 03, 2014
14:

Many people have this illusion that SA companies are making more money in Naigeria than in SA, which is not correct.

Shoprite has 20 stores in Naijeria, and Their have over 2000 stores in SA. Do the maths

DStv has 800 000 subscribers in Naigeria, and they have over 4 million subscribers in SA, do the maths

As for MTN, Yes! Shoprite make more money in Nigeria than SA because its revenue has been posted before in past debate thread. The Shoprite in SA is a conglomerate of other affiliated shops. As for DSTV, they are probably making more money in Nigeria. I mean DSTV not multichoice.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 03, 2014
14:

So which developed country has any Nigerian company invested in? I mean a country with a GDP of $500B but with $23B budget fr 160m people, No liquidity, no nothing. Nigeria is the richest country on paper, but in reality, you are broke, you got no money.
So stop bragging about MTN to us. Not until your MTN runs things in the developed market it is still a primitive continental telecommunication network. Bwahaha...

Go Nigeria, the true GIANT of Africa.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Centrifude(m): 7:06am On Sep 03, 2014
Was watching 'Channel O' this morning and I'm really surprised by the amount of Nigerian and other African Singers who have shot a lot of their Music Videos in S.A

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2014
If what you are saying is true sir....it means Nigerians are exploitable

I
all4naija: As for MTN, Yes! Shoprite make more money in Nigeria than SA because it revenue has be posted before in past debate thread. The Shoprite is SA is a conglomerate of other affiliated shops. As for DSTV, they are probably making more money in Nigeria. I mean DSTV not multichoice.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
EroZA: If what you are saying is true sir....it means Nigerians are exploitable

Bwahaha... You mean to say friendly to investors. South Africans are not the only investors in Nigeria. Their businesses makeup just a fraction of what is happening there, most especially, in the oil sector. That is one of the GIANT natures we are talking about in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
Centrifude: Was watching 'Channel O' this morning and I'm really surprised by the amount of Nigerian and other African Singers who have shot a lot of their Music Videos in S.A
There is nothing wrong with that. South Africa is a tourist destination and you must expect that to happen. Your leader has begged Nigerians to bring the money to your country so that we can provide employment for the primitive Zulus and Xhosa in their dirty squalor of Townships!

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2014
if 9 shoprite stores in Nigeria can make more money than over 1200 shoprite stores in SA....surely Nigerians are exploitable

all4naija:
Bwahaha... You man to say friendly to investors. South Africans are not the only investors in Nigeria. Their businesses makeup just a fraction of what is happening there, most especially, in the oil sector. That is one of the GIANT natures we are talking about in Nigeria.

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by CraigB: 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=EroZA]
if 9 shoprite stores in Nigeria can make more money than over 1200 shoprite stores in SA....surely Nigerians are exploitable

"Exploitable" Tafelkoppe - now there's an interesting word.

___

SA ripping Nigeria off
24 June 2013, 20:29

I had the misfortune of walking through a South African owned shop in Lagos recently. Mr. Price to be precise. I had just returned from a trip to Johannesburg and looking for cheap gifts i had forgotten to pick up for my hangers on when i returned. There was a piece of sweat shirt I had made a mental note to purchase at Mr. Price and decided to get it at the Nigerian store. T

his was a piece of item placed at their “priced to go” racks at N1,800 (R114.74) per piece. I have a long, retentive memory and i could still recall that this same piece of sweatshirt sells for N784.24 (R49.99) in South Africa. And if you factored in my 14% tax rebates, that sweat shirt did in fact come to me at N669.34 (R42.99). That’s some 269% increase over and above the marked prices inside South Africa.

This huge price differential is typical across board on most south african owned consumer products in Nigeria. From Shoprite to Chicken Republic to Massmart (Game), Mr. Price, Woolworth and Truworths. It is a tale of undue exploitation of Nigerians by South African Businesses.

Before i am crucified for being xenophobic, it is important to understand that the criticism of South African companies have persisted as a consequence of their approach to business in Nigeria, which has often been characterised as predatory and mercantilist. South Africa’s foreign policy towards Nigeria and indeed, towards all of Africa is not based on any Pan-Africanism or anti-imperialism; it is rather based on promoting South Africa’s expanding business interests on the continent.

It is an expansionist agenda that South African corporations and parastatals have successfully implemented in a one-sided hegemonic relationship. As echoed by Foluso Phillips, the chairman of Lagos-based Phillips Consulting, a business consultancy of branding advisors, “There is much that South Africa can offer Nigeria, but there has been a problem of attitude and lack of trust as well as divergent objectives by both parties,… however, there must be a strong spirit of win-win, as the track record and perception makes it all look one-sided in South Africa’s favour.”

Believe me, I am a fan of South African business in Nigeria. Rightly or wrongly, the economic boosts our country has experienced in various sectors of the economy, in particular, retail and telecommunication, through the interventions of South African businesses have helped to redefine the consumer experience here. They have brought healthy competitions and quality alternatives to other product offerings. They have been open about their desire to conquer the consumer market and have in turn created employment opportunities for thousands of Nigerians. They saw the potential of the middle income groups in Nigeria and positioned themselves to tap into it.

My grouse however, is that this competitive positioning cannot and should not be exploitative in nature, which is exactly what is happening today. It shouldn’t happen in a market of 170 million people in which, 40% of the population describe themselves as middle income earners.

This target group alone represent a market that’s still larger than the entire population of South Africa! Worse still, this should not be happening in a country that allows businesses to repatriate 100% of entire profits back to home. And it definitely shouldn’t be happening in a country that has massive disparities in incomes with it. Some comparative economic data will suffice here:

Nigeria South Africa
Population 170 million 52 million
Gross Domestic Product $268.7 billion $375.9 billion
GDP per Capita $1,657 $7,257
Exports (1st Quarter, 2012) $750 million $150 million

How does it happen that the earning power of the average south african is more than 4 times that of his Nigerian counterpart and yet, Nigerians are made to pay almost 3 times for the same quality of goods. The reality is, South African companies are making a dangerous killing in Nigeria and we are helpless to do anything about it. There is evidence that South African companies have been involved in blatant profiteering and looting in Nigeria.

For a very long time, MTN charges in Nigeria were the highest rates in the world for cellular phone calls. And despite its massive profits, MTN has really only created about 500 permanent jobs. Most of its employees are casual or temporary workers, and just like other South African corporations, denies all of its workers the right to join a trade union. Something that would be most unheard of in their own country.

And do not be deceived by the trade surplus in Nigeria’s favour. Of the 750 million dollars worth of Nigerian exports to South Africa reported in the first three months of 2012 by The South African Revenue Service, 740 million dollars worth are made up of mineral products, mainly oil. That means, other than oil, Nigeria have absolutely no stake in South Africa’s economy.

Compare that with MTN owning 52% of Nigeria’s mobile telecommunications market; franchises like Nandos, Chicken Republic and St. Elmos, etc owning 50% of the international fast food market worth US$2.5 million per annum; DSTV accounting for 90% of the viewers that watch satellite TV in Nigeria; SASOL playing major roles in Escravos with Chevron; and Entech and Broll managing prime estates and properties including the development of the Bar Beach (Eko Atlantic) and management of over 600 fuel stations and malls across Nigeria respectively. This can’t healthy.

There is a reason why such unequal trade relations exist between Nigeria and South Africa. The bilateral agreements signed by both governments since 1999 allows this to happen without hinderance to operations. South African companies’ investments in Nigeria are heavily protected from any interference at any level by the Nigerian government. It is a license to grow as they please without consequence. Added to this, there are substantial tax rebates for companies operating here through agreements on eradicating double taxation.

South African companies that paid tax in Nigeria are protected from paying taxes back home and can repatriate the entire profits. Now, imagine the US$5.3 billion MTN had earned after tax in the 10 years of operation from 2001 – 2011 finding its way back to the South African economy tax free! Why wouldn’t the Rand be stronger than the Naira at any level?

When the foundations of this country was laid in the fight against imperialism, it was not envisioned to have it substituted with another form of neo-colonialism. The activities of South African businesses in Nigeria have been abrasive to Nigerians and the Nigerian economy.

There is a siege mentality they have on this country that needs to be addressed. They have created opportunities not to develop the Nigerian economy but to exploit its resources. We experienced that with the British, endured it with the Chinese and now, it’s the South Africans that are our new colonialists. This is not the sort of relationship we should be aspiring to at this time. The sooner our government addresses these imbalances the better.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by 14(m): 1:53am On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=CraigB][/quote]
They dont complain about China or USA who are doing the very same thing SA is doing. I think its all about competition, Nigerians are so surprised how a country which has smaller GDP than theirs have so may multinationals. Its a shock to them, they thought since they have the (fake) Big GDP, they would be running the show in AFRICA, little did they know that SA runs Africa, from cape to Cairo. Then they are left asking themselves or believing whether their GDP is real or not.

I have been saying from the onset, that their GDP is not real, First of all they say Nollywood makes $6B a year, whereas Bollywood makes $2B, India with 6 times nigeria population, it does not make sense, Somewhere somehow numbers were cooked just to attract investors with the No.1 Economy Tag. And its not really working because the money is not visible on the ground.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:48am On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA:
It becomes exploitation when it involved Nigeria surviving the people of South Africa. Bwahaha...

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 04, 2014
CraigB: SA ripping Nigeria off
24 June 2013, 20:29

I had the misfortune of walking through a South African owned shop in Lagos recently. Mr. Price to be precise. I had just returned from a trip to Johannesburg and looking for cheap gifts i had forgotten to pick up for my hangers on when i returned. There was a piece of sweat shirt I had made a mental note to purchase at Mr. Price and decided to get it at the Nigerian store. T

his was a piece of item placed at their “priced to go” racks at N1,800 (R114.74) per piece. I have a long, retentive memory and i could still recall that this same piece of sweatshirt sells for N784.24 (R49.99) in South Africa. And if you factored in my 14% tax rebates, that sweat shirt did in fact come to me at N669.34 (R42.99). That’s some 269% increase over and above the marked prices inside South Africa.

This huge price differential is typical across board on most south african owned consumer products in Nigeria. From Shoprite to Chicken Republic to Massmart (Game), Mr. Price, Woolworth and Truworths. It is a tale of undue exploitation of Nigerians by South African Businesses.

Before i am crucified for being xenophobic, it is important to understand that the criticism of South African companies have persisted as a consequence of their approach to business in Nigeria, which has often been characterised as predatory and mercantilist. South Africa’s foreign policy towards Nigeria and indeed, towards all of Africa is not based on any Pan-Africanism or anti-imperialism; it is rather based on promoting South Africa’s expanding business interests on the continent.

Thank you for posting that boring article. Now, it is time for me to chase out your blood-sucking demons in Nigeria parading themselves as investors. Bwahaha...
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:01am On Sep 04, 2014
14:
They dont complain about China or USA who are doing the very same thing SA is doing. I think its all about competition, Nigerians are so surprised how a country which has smaller GDP than theirs have so may multinationals. Its a shock to them, they thought since they have the (fake) Big GDP, they would be running the show in AFRICA, little did they know that SA runs Africa, from cape to Cairo. Then they are left asking themselves or believing whether their GDP is real or not.

I have been saying from the onset, that their GDP is not real, First of all they say Nollywood makes $6B a year, whereas Bollywood makes $2B, India with 6 times nigeria population, it does not make sense, Somewhere somehow numbers were cooked just to attract investors with the No.1 Economy Tag. And its not really working because the money is not visible on the ground.
You i d i o t! You are really a sore loser indeed. Overrated South African multinationals only operate in banana republics not in the developed economy. So shut the F up!

Nollywood is probably larger than Bollywood for the fact that it is embraced by almost all black people around the world. The earlier you realize that the better for you to move on with your pathetic life.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 04, 2014
I thought SA is surviving the people of Nigeria by giving them food and water through shoprite,game,nandos etc

all4naija: It becomes exploitation when it involved Nigeria surviving the people of South Africa. Bwahaha...

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: I thought SA is surviving the people of Nigeria by giving them food and water through shoprite,game,nandos etc

No, it is the other way round because Nigerians can do those things themselves. We have indigenous businesses doing what SA companies are doing in Nigeria. Your investments repatriate 100% profit to your country. That is what I called surviving your people. That is surviving your country indeed.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 04, 2014
ok

all4naija:
No, it is the other way round because Nigerians can do those things themselves. We have indigenous businesses doing what SA companies are doing in Nigeria. Your investments repatriate 100% profit to your country. That is what I called surviving your people. That is surviving your country indeed.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA:
ok

That is not enough. You need to understand that Nigeria is the true GIANT of Africa. Bwahaha... grin
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Indeed you are overpopulated

all4naija: That is not enough. You need to understand that Nigeria is the true GIANT of Africa. Bwahaha... grin
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: Indeed you are overpopulated

Hahaha... That is part of the GIANT nature we have. Bwahaha... wink
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yes sir,a Nigerian can kill his entire family just to remain with the title of The giant....you remind of some of our Nigerian friends based in SA who paid south African ladies huge some of cash so that those ladies praised Nigerian men sexual performance on YouTube...you are indeed the giants

all4naija:

Hahaha... That is part of the GIANT nature we have. Bwahaha... wink
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: Yes sir,a Nigerian can kill his entire family just to remain with the title of The giant....you remind of some of our Nigerian friends based in SA who paid south African ladies huge some of cash so that those ladies praised Nigerian men sexual performance on YouTube...you are indeed the giants
Bwahaha... What has paying South African Zulu and Xhosa ladies huge money got to do with this? Intimate performance is a personal thing but talking about GIANT is natural. You still haven't understood that it is in our nature. You talked about population size as one of them before, your investors coming to scramble for money for survival by increasing products prices, etc.

Isn't it true that average Nigerians are more equipped down-under than South Africans? wink cool

grin cool
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lol....if a country like Lesotho can beat the so called giant of africa interms of global competiveness,who can laugh at them when they call themselves the kings of africa...if you people do not put that empty house into order you will remain the most exploitable nation in Africa.

quote author=all4naija]
Bwahaha... What has paying South Africa Zulu and Xhosa ladies huge money got to do with this? Intimate performance is a personal thing but talking about GIANT is natural. You still haven't understood that it is in our nature. You talked about population size as one of them before, your investors coming to scramble for money for survival by increasing products prices, etc.

Isn't it true that average Nigerians are more equipped down-under than South Africans? wink cool

grin cool[/quote]
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA:
Lol....if a country like Lesotho can beat the so called giant of africa interms of global competiveness,who can laugh at them when they call themselves the kings of africa...if you people do not put that empty house into order you will remain the most exploitable nation in Africa.
Hehehe.. That is a sore loser's post! Comparing Lesotho to the GIANT of Africa is very funny. That is blaspheming if you don't know.

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
Am not comparing your giant with Lesotho but telling you that Lesotho is ahead of Nigeria when it comes to global competiveness ...

all4naija:
Hehehe.. That is a sore loser's post! Comparing Lesotho to the GIANT of Africa is very funny. That is blaspheming if you don't know.

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: Am not comparing your giant with Lesotho but telling you that Lesotho is ahead of Nigeria when it comes to global competiveness ...

Okay! What about Mauritius beating South Africa in global competitiveness too? Please, give the GIANT of Africa a break. Just accept that you are always looking for ways to talk down the true GIANT, dude. How many private jets do black South Africans have? Bwhahaha... I love Nigeria, man.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by CraigB: 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: Am not comparing your giant with Lesotho but telling you that Lesotho is ahead of Nigeria when it comes to global competiveness ...

If the Tafelkoppe aren't competitive, what are they?

Oh, I know! Exploitable, that's what.

1 Like

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lol...

CraigB:

Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
owning a private jet could be a great thing in Nigeria but not in south Africa....a black south African rather spend his millions uplifting the lives of poor people ,mate Mauritius is a very organized country,big up to them...remember SA is on that top three not because we are competing with anyone,we are just doing our own thing...it puzzles me to see those who are playing the giant game always find themselves on the tail

all4naija:
Okay! What about Mauritius beating South Africa in global competitiveness too? Please, give the GIANT of Africa a break. Just accept that you are always looking for ways to talk down the true GIANT, dude. How many private jets do black South Africans have? Bwhahaha... I love Nigeria, man.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
CraigB:

You should probably tell that to Mauritius people as well for being ahead of South Africa in the global competitiveness ranking.
Re: Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
EroZA: Lol...

There is nothing to lol about in that post. angry cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (162)

Gov. / South African Officers Caught On Camera Having Sex In A Hospital / US Presidential Election 2020 (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.