Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project (15595 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 7:06pm On Mar 23, 2012
Just thinking of this innovation, and welcome development, that is going on in lagos, and the possibility of, if we can ever have the same kind of train network as the metro-lines/tubes of the UK fashola said he would soon commission/open the badagary axis calling it the blue metro-line, and the other the axis Red metro-line, I would love to see the map though, though I am wondering how much demolition would have to go into it for it to be successful I know it would never be possible to have under ground tubes though I wish it was possible but the only reason I can see are because of our poor maintenance culture and the possibility that some armed robbers may decide to form road or train blocks with an intent of accousting a moving train just my thought what of you

Even as work progresses on the first phase of the 61 kilometre Lagos-Badagry Light Rail Project christened the Blue Line, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has begun moves to woo British and other investors to take concession on the second part of the rail project.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Jide Idris has expressed the state government dismay at the high rate of maternal and infant mortality in the state disclosing that the design of projects and programmes to address the issue was underway.

On the light rail project, Fashola, while hosting the British Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for International Development (DFID), Mr. Stephen O’Brien at the Lagos House, Marina, said the Red Line which, according to him, “is waiting to be taken”, offers so much options for collaboration.
www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/fashola-woos-british-others-on-lagos-light-rail-project/
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 10:55pm On Mar 23, 2012
I had two maps of the project, but I can only find one (I can't find the map that shows the proposed stations).

Lamata has proposed 7 lines. They are:

1) Blue line: Okokomaiko-Marina
2) Red Line: Agbado-MMIA-Marina
3) Green Line: Lekki Airport-Marina
4) Yellow Line: Otta-Iddo
5) Purple Line: Redeemed Camp-Ojo
6) Brown Line: Mile 12 - Marina
7) Orange Line: Redeemed Camp-Marina

I'm going to search for the link to the briefing document and post it here. I'm also going to post artist impressions of the project and hopefully, I can take pictures when I next visit the area.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 11:14pm On Mar 23, 2012
The Lagos Rail Transit (LRT) system will be similar to the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in the sense that the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) will build and maintain the tracks, while the concessionaire will procure and maintain the trains.

Already, the concessionaire on the blue line has procured carriages from Canada (they were subway trains, but have been converted to surface trains). Lagos State Government will build a dedicated independent power plant to provide electricity to the system.
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 4:07am On Mar 24, 2012
The Blue Line.

The Lagos-Badagry Expressway is part of the abandoned Trans-African Highway project. However, it is prone to massive traffic jams. This has stunted development along that corridor since people don't want to live and work in that area because of the traffic problems.

Therefore, the Lagos State Government is expanding the road. It will be a 10 lane expressway with BRT and LRT routes. Julius Berger is expanding the road (so far they've expanded the road between Orile and Mile 2 and expanded the Mile 2 Bridge), while Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC) is laying the tracks. It's largely going to be an elevated rail system (CCECC has built part oof the bridge along the Orile axis and they are also building elevated stations from Orile too Mile 2).

Here is a link to the briefing document and below is an artist impression oof the project. http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Blue%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 4:29am On Mar 24, 2012
Marina will become the main transport hub in Lagos when the project is completed. It will be served by LRT, BRT, regular bus, taxi and ferry services.

There isn't much work going on with regard to the red line, although the current NRC track in the area is being upgraded. Here is a link to the red line briefing document. http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Red%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf

Below is an artist impression of how Marina will look when the project is completed.

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 4:57am On Mar 24, 2012
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2012
naptu2: The Blue Line.

The Lagos-Badagry Expressway is part of the abandoned Trans-African Highway project. However, it is prone to massive traffic jams. This has stunted development along that corridor since people don't want to live and work in that area because of the traffic problems.

Therefore, the Lagos State Government is expanding the road. It will be a 10 lane expressway with BRT and LRT routes. Julius Berger is expanding the road (so far they've expanded the road between Orile and Mile 2 and expanded the Mile 2 Bridge), while Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC) is laying the tracks. It's largely going to be an elevated rail system (CCECC has built part oof the bridge along the Orile axis and they are also building elevated stations from Orile too Mile 2).

Here is a link to the briefing document and below is an artist impression oof the project. http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Blue%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf
Nice one I am just trying to imagine how my lagos our lagos would be nice
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 10:44am On Mar 25, 2012
naptu2: Marina will become the main transport hub in Lagos when the project is completed. It will be served by LRT, BRT, regular bus, taxi and ferry services.

There isn't much work going on with regard to the red line, although the current NRC track in the area is being upgraded. Here is a link to the red line briefing document. http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Red%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf

Below is an artist impression of how Marina will look when the project is completed.
CCECC are also the ones handling the abuja light rail system and they have just done what average nigerian's would have done, I would have preferred LCC handling the construction when I was in lagos I loved the lekki axis road they constructed what os retail stores around the place to create businesses a terminals hoping it wouldn't look like the old ikeja oshodi terminal plan where people stand and hang around like criminals until the train comes
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 10:51am On Mar 25, 2012
Currently this is the last picture I had of the way second degree holders move around lagos by train two of my formal classmates where on top of the carriage and that's what made me take the picture to make jest of them, so I hope this would not be another repeat of that

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 8:34am On Mar 26, 2012
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2012
I gather, from the briefing document, that they'll have proper terminals and stations with shops etc (renting out shops is one of the ways they want to make money from the project).

Furthermore, large sections of the rail line will be elevated, while the sections at ground level will have barriers, to prevent people from encroaching on the rail line (as it so often happens with the NRC lines).

I heard that the Abuja line is having funding issues. Apparently, the National Assembly believes that the project is too costly.
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 12:32pm On Mar 27, 2012
naptu2: I gather, from the briefing document, that they'll have proper terminals and stations with shops etc (renting out shops is one of the ways they want to make money from the project).

Furthermore, large sections of the rail line will be elevated, while the sections at ground level will have barriers, to prevent people from encroaching on the rail line (as it so often happens with the NRC lines).

I heard that the Abuja line is having funding issues. Apparently, the National Assembly believes that the project is too costly.
yea its having serious issues from what i heard though it hasn't been confirmed the bane of Nigerian society has entered there CORRUPTION, i also heard the contract was awarded to Turai Yar Adua wife of Umaru and that woman "sabi" pilfer money so they revoked it but could get the advanced payment of the $12 billion paid for the commencement of the project, well i also heard she came in with her technical partners these Chinese guys, i hope they are not the same guys that were awarded this contract, you need to see the nature of the job very ugly looking and it has been done in very funny phases some areas have been laid but i tell you if a serious rain should fall around it it would sweep off the stones and the rails the laid and i don't think they really had the shops things for rent in the picture very ugly looking though i was even thinking it would have made more sense to start and gradually expand the network their is this part where the trains are supposed to pass over cars like a carriage bridge but with the standard of work going on their and the nature of the materials they are using we are in for serious trouble its like they say fake substandard products it would have been a tourist attraction of some sort but mehn! i dey fear oh! guess i would take some pictures
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2012
just my observation, from the economic point of view i would loved it if was excavated its cheaper, then the elevation and it gives room for them to pore concrete as re-enforcement through the path you know they could even support the train from tipping but pore granite and my people will bring wheel barrows in the night to cart it a away to sell or build their own houses
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 8:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
I have been asking for this picture and I guess if my friend that sent me this picture is on nairaland he would shout for me posting the because of what I said earlier about guys sitting on top a carriage but all the same this is the picture

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by ak47mann(m): 8:20pm On Mar 28, 2012
naptu2: .
well what can wan do baby chicken got to fly grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin hey hey hey ara ga agba ndi ara cool
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by ak47mann(m): 8:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
olajide_07:
yea its having serious issues from what i heard though it hasn't been confirmed the bane of Nigerian society has entered there CORRUPTION, i also heard the contract was awarded to Turai Yar Adua wife of Umaru and that woman "sabi" pilfer money so they revoked it but could get the advanced payment of the $12 billion paid for the commencement of the project, well i also heard she came in with her technical partners these Chinese guys, i hope they are not the same guys that were awarded this contract, you need to see the nature of the job very ugly looking and it has been done in very funny phases some areas have been laid but i tell you if a serious rain should fall around it it would sweep off the stones and the rails the laid and i don't think they really had the shops things for rent in the picture very ugly looking though i was even thinking it would have made more sense to start and gradually expand the network their is this part where the trains are supposed to pass over cars like a carriage bridge but with the standard of work going on their and the nature of the materials they are using we are in for serious trouble its like they say fake substandard products it would have been a tourist attraction of some sort but mehn! i dey fear oh! guess i would take some pictures
u don kill me chie tears don full my eyes nice one grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 2:30pm On Mar 29, 2012
This is quite common on the NRC line. The police in Lagos prosecuted some people for riding on top of the trains a few months ago.

In Yaba I often see scenes like the one pictured above.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 3:42pm On Mar 29, 2012
naptu2: This is quite common on the NRC line. The police in Lagos prosecuted some people for riding on top of the trains a few months ago.

Will this really work why can't the rail corporation have on board police that assist the ticket checking officers just in case someone doesn't pay and someone wants to climb the carriage, since some people do not value their lives just imagine a slight shift to the left and right no rails to support and BAM the person is underneath being grinded by the rails and in fact that could derail a train
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 3:43pm On Mar 29, 2012
naptu2: This is quite common on the NRC line. The police in Lagos prosecuted some people for riding on top of the trains a few months ago.

Will this really work why can't the rail corporation have on board police that assist the ticket checking officers just in case someone doesn't pay and someone wants to climb the carriage, since some people do not value their lives well I have also forgotten we are in Nigeria where nothing can be done, just imagine a slight shift to the left and right no rails to support and BAM the person is underneath being grinded by the rails and in fact that could derail a train
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by olajide8(m): 4:28pm On Mar 29, 2012
I guess its the same CCECC that are handling the lagos project that were handling the abuja light rail structure this is the best part I have seen and I guess its supposed to have an underground running about. Where I took the picture from

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 8:13am On Mar 30, 2012
Going through the briefing document, it's clear that the Lagos State Government is concerned about encroachment on the rail line/right of way and the activities of some Nigerians who throw caution to the wind and ride on top rail carriages. That's why much of the rail line will be elevated and the ground level sections will have barriers.
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 8:15am On Mar 30, 2012
26 Arrested Over Alleged Attempted Suicide

A team of railway officials and policemen on Wednesday night in Lagos arrested 26 men, including a deaf and dumb, for allegedly sitting on the roof of a moving train and attempting to commit suicide.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the men were arrested at about 8 p.m. at Iju railway station on the roof of the Iddo-Ijoko mass transit train.

Mr Samuel Elumole, district superintendent of the railways, told NAN in Lagos on Thursday that the men would be charged to court on Friday for “attempting to commit suicide”.

According to Elumole, though the offence carries a fine of N50,000 or a 3-month imprisonment, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) will plead that the men be sent to prison as the fine had proved to be no deterrent against this suicidal act.

https://www.nairaland.com/666131/26-arrested-over-alleged-attempted#8309416
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 8:21am On Mar 30, 2012
Passenger killed while boarding train at Agbado, Ogun state

Lagos – A passenger was killed and another broke his legs while rushing to board a moving and  overcrowded train at Agbado train station, Ogun, on Monday.

According to reports, the two separate accidents were linked with the Ijoko-Lagos Mass Transit Trains (MTT) services of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC).

The mangled body of the dead victim was pulled out from the wheels and placed beside the rail track, while the man with a broken leg was taken to a nearby hospital.

Eyewitnesses told journalist that the two victims slipped and fell off while trying to board the moving train.

“The man that died rushed to board the train while on motion, he would have succeeded but was blocked by passengers hanging at the entrance.

Regular train passengers blamed the accidents on overcrowding and the attitude of passengers who blocked the entrance of the coaches, preventing other passengers from getting onto the train.

An NRC official, who pleaded anonymity, told journalists at Agbado station that the incidents had been reported to the NRC headquarters at Ebute Meta for proper action.

Earlier, the railway police command had warned passengers against hanging on moving trains, saying that offenders would be charged with attempted suicide.

Meanwhile, a trader at Agbado station, Mrs Ronke Ogunlade, has appealed to the NRC to increase the number of shuttle services and attach more coaches to trains on the route.

“The number of passengers on this route is increasing on daily basis; I think more shuttles and more coaches would solve the problem,’’ she said

She said that people would continue to hang on the train because there were not enough coaches for the ever-increasing passengers on the route. (NAN)

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/national/145962-passenger-killed-while-boarding-train-at-agbado-ogun-state.html
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 8:26am On Mar 30, 2012
Nigerian police harassment at Jibowu railway line.

https://www.nairaland.com/738583/nigerian-police-harassment-jibowu-railway
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by KINGwax(m): 9:52am On Mar 30, 2012
naptu2: Lagos State Government will build a dedicated independent power plant to provide electricity to the system.
my friend, anything that garto rely on electrictity for 9ja, no be me and you o. In fact, for me to enter any building wit lift guy, see prayer!
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 10:06am On Mar 30, 2012
grin grin grin

I feel you. I had an uncle who vowed never to get on an elevator in a government building cos of a bad experience he had.

However, the IPP projects that the Lagos State Government has established so far have been reliable (I.e, the IPP @ Marina, Adiyan water works, etc).

Let's see how it goes.
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2012
Blue line stations will include:

1) Marina

2) Ebutte Ero

3) Iddo

4) National Theatre

5) Iganmu

6) Alaba

7) Mile 2

8 ) Festac

9) Alakija (Satellite Town)

10) Trade Fair Complex

11) Volkswagen

12) Lasu Gate

13) Okokomaiko.

Red Line stations include:

1) Marina

2) Ebutte Ero

3) Iddo

4) Ebutte Metta

5) Yaba

6) Jibowu

7) Mushin

8 ) Oshodi

9) Shogunle

10) Murtala Mohammed Airport (an arm of the line will branch off to the airport)

11) Ikeja

12) Agege

13) Iju

14) Agbado

1 Like

Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by johnie: 11:52am On Mar 30, 2012
Great posts Naptu2.

Keep it up!
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by babaowo: 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2012
God will lagos state government, its not a easy project.
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by musiwa43: 1:18pm On Mar 30, 2012
Ok. you need money to get money .
Re: Fashola Woos Foreign Investment Partners For Lagos Light Rail Project by naptu2: 3:40pm On Mar 30, 2012
johnie: Great posts Naptu2.

Keep it up!

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apprehension Grips Aviation, Transport Workers Over Merger Of Ministries / Godwin Obaseki Escapes Assassination In Edo / What Is The Electricity Situation In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.