Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports (32601 Views)

PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima / Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
i also think that people from imo and abia should push for the owerri airport too
it is their duty to do that
in fact every SE person should comment on the one affecting his/her area
that is how to get this done
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 28, 2012
re@lchange:

i think the idea behind this is export and foreign direct investment
SE can never have them without direct international access
even if it has them without the international airports, it would continue to play second fiddle to other zones with them.
that is why you see people from other zones trying hard to kill the idea
they fear that it will deflate their own zones
use your head bruv

The Idea makes sense in theory but at this juncture, there are more pressing issues. There are more fundamental issues to tackle. When you set out on a journey through the desert; which is more important to you: Water or your Cologne?

As Eze- Ndigbo Onlytruth said, "this is the 21st century". The era of the Nwaboy economy is coming to an end. We have to start Thinking futuristically. The new global economy will not necessarily be defined by the number of physical structures standing but by the number of bits your processor can process or how fast your transport drones can transport your goods even from the roof of your house.

It is high time we encourage our kids to embrace passionate and study biomedical sciences to develop vaccines, antibiotics and what have you for diseases that plagues Nigeria and Africa. It is high time we build clean infrastructures to reduce or possibly eradicate malaria and typhoid,etc.

Cmon people ! Lets get real.

ndu_chucks:

^^^+1000 The above is a detribalized and very sensible post for which OlodoWisestein should be applauded

Back to pragmatism cool.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 11:26pm On Mar 28, 2012
Olodostein:

The Idea makes sense in theory but at this juncture, there are more pressing issues. There are more fundamental issues to tackle. When you set out on a journey through the desert; which is more important to you: Water or your Cologne?

As Eze- Ndigbo Onlytruth said, "this is the 21st century". The era of the Nwaboy economy is coming to an end. We have to start Thinking futuristically. The new global economy will not necessarily be defined by the number of physical structures standing but by the number of bits your processor can process or how fast your transport drones can transport your goods even from the roof of your house.

It is high time we encourage our kids to embrace passionate and study biomedical sciences to develop vaccines, antibiotics and what have you for diseases that plagues Nigeria and Africa. It is high time we build clean infrastructures to reduce or possibly eradicate malaria and typhoid,etc.

Cmon people ! Lets get real.

Back to pragmatism cool.

bruv do you know how hard these are to develop without international interaction?
just take a look at nigeria, and SE for now, you can even map the best schools/research centers in nigeria to international airports and see that they are directly co-related.
that is what i think eze onlytruth is trying to say
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by nduchucks: 11:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
re@lchange:
@Olodostein
also please become very afraid when you see ndu-chuks supporting you
he wants igbo land to remain in chains so that he will sleep at night with his wicked one nigeria dreams
these airports will create an entirely new idea and be a game changer
the potential is limitless

chei, you are one paranoid chap. Why would I want to do what's against my best judgement and interest? The boogie man you are afraid of does not exist. Yours cannot be the mindset of the sensible folks in the area. SMH
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 28, 2012
re@lchange:

bruv do you know how hard these are to develop without international interaction?
just take a look at nigeria, and SE for now, you can even map the best schools/research centers in nigeria to international airports and see that they are directly co-related.
that is what i think eze onlytruth is trying to say

Bros, I get the message.If you read me correctly, I pointed out that it is important. In fact, it is very paramount. But timing is very important in every human endeavour.

In every house, there is what we call the Foundation. Ours is very shaky. We need to put it in order and then tackle other things.

Let me give you an instance. I order and read books on Kindle PC sent wirelessly to me. I didn't venture into the US to get them nor was it transported to me via courier services. With basic infrastructure like electricity, the usage would increase in Nigeria and that will bring Knowledge. Do you know the amount of latest books and research on different topics our kids and populace would be impacting and making use of? On the economic side, it reduces deforestation(used to make books) and unfortunately puts books sellers in Onitsha or where have you out of business. We need to develop our brain instead of focus on building a consumer economy(Fiat Money).

I know of a guy who works remotely for a company overseas from here in Nigeria as a Database Administrator. Do you know how much outsourcing from western countries countries to the India economy? We need to develop our brains, health and mindset first and foremost. We need to be independent with our brains. That is how you get respected and grow and grass root economy.

Why is Aminu Kano International Airport given a priority? Open your eyes Captain!!!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nnenna1(f): 12:06am On Mar 29, 2012
Olodostein has a point in that manufacturing and homegrown production is paramount in any form of development. China, Japan and Russia did not become superpowers largely by foreign investment. Nigeria as a whole is a colossal failure in garnering as much self-sufficiency as possible. Number one reason for this stemming from lack of electricity.

If the electricity problem was solved and Nigerians (including those in the diaspora) are as resourceful and as creative as I think, many of the basic fundamental needs would have been solved since yesterday.

I honestly believe this.

Come to think of it - I find it surprising that no one has thought of affordable and alternative methods for generating electricity (I.e. Fuel free) to sell. Would this be illegal since electricity generation is a FG scheme?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 12:13am On Mar 29, 2012
Nnenna1: Olodostein has a point in that manufacturing and homegrown production is paramount in any form of development. China, Japan and Russia did not become superpowers largely by foreign investment. Nigeria as a whole is a colossal failure in garnering as much self-sufficiency as possible. Number one reason for this stemming from lack of electricity.

If the electricity problem was solved and Nigerians (including those in the diaspora) are as resourceful and as creative as I think, many of the basic fundamental needs would have been solved since yesterday.

I honestly believe this.

Come to think of it - I find it surprising that no one has thought of affordable and alternative methods for generating electricity (I.e. Fuel free) to sell. Would this be illegal since electricity generation is a FG scheme?

Igbo Kwenu!!!

That's why I'm in love with Igbo girls. Igbo men need to stop their warrior and red sand wrestling mentality - and be more pragmatic. Your problem, and the problem with the "cesspit" called Nigeria (borrowing grandpa dede's favourite phrase) is not building airports. We need to provide basic amenities, and make the whole control conducive for stable middle-class to grow - thus, expanding the economy. Then, we may start talking about building airports in every village in Nigeria.

Nnenna nma, I admire you baby. wink
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nnenna1(f): 12:14am On Mar 29, 2012
This actually reminds me of an article by Chinweizu (who is a great thinker, IMO). I will post later when I have time.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 12:17am On Mar 29, 2012
@ Abagworo

I want to read your suggestions, I like your mentality - you're one the realist people on NL. Okija_juju used to be like you, but I don't know when he contracted the virus. I think Ejine is also someone I rate highly.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 12:22am On Mar 29, 2012
shymmex: I think three airports are not enough, why can't you ask for fifty? Nigerians are dying everyday from hunger, stress, lack of health care, and lack of basic infrastructures - yet you want the government to waste the scarce resources on irrelevant structures. undecided

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by BlackPikiN(m): 12:27am On Mar 29, 2012
^^^^You are becoming real nuisance!

WTF is your problem?

Igbo matter don make u dey go madt?

Are you Alh Harem's cousin?

You are in every Igbo thread showing your insecurities!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 29, 2012
Nnenna1: Olodostein has a point in that manufacturing and homegrown production is paramount in any form of development. China, Japan and Russia did not become superpowers largely by foreign investment. Nigeria as a whole is a colossal failure in garnering as much self-sufficiency as possible. Number one reason for this stemming from lack of electricity.

I honestly believe this.

You get the point!

That is a good observation.

As much as corruption from the seat of power is to blame, "importers" of generators(also a big business;where thousands who can't easily switch to something else make their money from) are as well culprits, in that, they lobby government officials with huge perks to frustrate efforts in creating alternative methods for generating electricity.

The whole thing is complex and funny.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 12:30am On Mar 29, 2012
BlackPikiN: ^^^^You are becoming real nuisance!

WTF is your problem?

Igbo matter don make u dey go madt?

Are you Alh Harem's cousin?

You are in every Igbo thread showing your insecurities!

I'm a DETRIBALIZED NIGERIAN, and this is NAIRALAND not IGBOLAND. I have a right to critique anything concerning all the regions in Nigeria. If you don't like it, you know what to do.

N/B: I'm tired of the government spending part of our national wealth on irrelevant structures. Nigerian masses are suffering!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by BlackPikiN(m): 12:42am On Mar 29, 2012
^^^^So Igbo threads are the ones you can will face squarely abi?

You know no where Aso Rock dey again!

You are really insecure and no amount of twisting can deny it!

Go get a life and stop the f0rking I am a Nigerian sh/it!

You no get village again?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by bittyend(m): 12:48am On Mar 29, 2012
BlackPikiN: ^^^^So Igbo threads are the ones you can will face squarely abi?

You know no where Aso Rock dey again!

You are really insecure and no amount of twisting can deny it!

Go get a life and stop the f0rking I am a Nigerian sh/it!

You no get village again?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by GAR3TH(m): 1:08am On Mar 29, 2012
Onlytruth:

I never said anything about building NEW international airports. All I said is that SE needs international airports. I then went ahead to qualify the one for Onitsha, saying that Asaba can be upgraded to play that role.

Thats incorrect. You said you want to Build or upgrade the airport. By upgrade you said you want to build new airport terminals and demolish the old "crack house" terminals that currently exist. You then went on to post pictures of airports around the world. Yes you want to upgrade them, but according to your vision you are basically building a new airport ontop of the site of the old one. So yes your are [wastefully] building a new airport, even if you upgrade.

you cannot use current traffic to estimate likely future international traffic. That is even a laughable method. I would say that about 20 -40 percent of the Lagos traffic originate or terminate in SE. I am even being conservative with that figure. So, look at Enugu in the neighborhood of 1 - 2 million annually if it is upgraded into a FULL international airport. cool

Really so Enugu will have 1-2 million people once upgraded while port harcourt which is only an hours drive away only has 13,000 international passengers per year, really. can you tell me were the 1-2 million people will come from. Were the average igboman will find the money to buy a $2000 international plane ticket? You actually believe a market seller or a trader will have the money to buy a ticket and go on vacation in Bahamas, really. You my friend have lost touch with reality.

And stop with those stupid propaganda stats about the south east please!!!

Again, you can't use current statistics showing LOCAL operations to estimate the likely traffic for Enugu.

Yes i can. If enugu's domestic passenger traffic is low because people cant afford to by a cheaper domestic plane ticket. what in your right mind makes you think they can afford a more expensive international plane ticket, really.

Please don't compare Enugu with PH because Enugu is yet to enjoy international status.

I can compare them. Both airports are only an hours drive apart from one another. PH international is only a 5 minute drive from igboland. So if an airport that is 5 minutes away from igboland is not doing well internationally [domestically its busy] what makes you think enugu airport, a couple of miles away will be any different. Oh, because its in igboland so by logic it will do well, really.

What you have is exactly what nigerian politicians have, MISSED PLACED PRIORITIES. How does 3 international airports help the common man when you have no roads to access the airport, no rail system, no secuirty, no light, no water, no educational system etc. I recall that you were bragging about the renovation of the river port in onitsha.

You said the port will be the economic engine of the south east and people wont have to go through lagos anymore to get to the south east. Well the River port and dredging of the lower niger river has been completed for months know. So what does the port look like today, its empty, not a single ship, no cargo whats so ever, the port hardly get used. WHy? because there are no basic infrastructures around the port!!!! unlike lagos there is no good roads leading to the port to handle the heavy traffic, no railway system connect to the port, improper security around the port etc.

What you are proposing with the airport is exactly whats happening with the port. You are basically putting the cart before the horse.

1 Like

Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by BlackPikiN(m): 1:22am On Mar 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

Thats incorrect. You said you want to Build or upgrade the airport. By upgrade you said you want to build new airport terminals and demolish the old "crack house" terminals that currently exist. You then went on to post pictures of airports around the world. Yes you want to upgrade them, but according to your vision you are basically building a new airport ontop of the site of the old one. So yes your are [wastefully] building a new airport, even if you upgrade.

Really so Enugu will have 1-2 million people once upgraded while port harcourt which is only an hours drive away only has 13,000 international passengers per year, really. can you tell me were the 1-2 million people will come from. Were the average igboman will find the money to buy a $2000 international plane ticket? You actually believe a market seller or a trader will have the money to buy a ticket and go on vacation in Bahamas, really. You my friend have lost touch with reality.

And stop with those stupid propaganda stats about the south east please!!!

Yes i can. If enugu's domestic passenger traffic is low because people cant afford to by a cheaper domestic plane ticket. what in your right mind makes you think they can afford a more expensive international plane ticket, really.

[size=25pt]I can compare them. Both airports are only an hours drive apart from one another. PH international is only a 5 minute drive from igboland. So if an airport that is 5 minutes away from igboland is not doing well internationally [domestically its busy] what makes you think enugu airport, a couple of miles away will be any different. Oh, because its in igboland so by logic it will do well, really.
[/size]
What you have is exactly what nigerian politicians have, MISSED PLACED PRIORITIES. How does 3 international airports help the common man when you have no roads to access the airport, no rail system, no secuirty, no light, no water, no educational system etc. I recall that you were bragging about the renovation of the river port in onitsha.

You said the port will be the economic engine of the south east and people wont have to go through lagos anymore to get to the south east. Well the River port and dredging of the lower niger river has been completed for months know. So what does the port look like today, its empty, not a single ship, no cargo whats so ever, the port hardly get used. WHy? because there are no basic infrastructures around the port!!!! unlike lagos there is no good roads leading to the port to handle the heavy traffic, no railway system connect to the port, improper security around the port etc.

What you are proposing with the airport is exactly whats happening with the port. You are basically putting the cart before the horse.

You sound as dumb as f0rk!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:22am On Mar 29, 2012
BlackPikiN:

You sound as dumb as f0rk!

lol, I was starting to wonder whether I am the only one who thinks that guy is as dense as a wet firewood. The annoying thing is that he resorts to provocations and insults when he runs out of logic, or is it illogic. He is also a desperate attention seeker. The other day, another guy here got fed up and simply cursed him out of a thread.
What an oaf. The only way to educate that type of a guy is to cut open his head and stuff things in.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 4:48am On Mar 29, 2012
Now that I'm back, I want to thank realchange nwoke oma for getting my message and putting it effectively across.
I also want to thank all those who contributed to the debate without prejudices (though they are quite few here, lol).
ndu_chucks, please stay away from this thread because a fox would never support the idea that a chicken grows teeth. So, I understand you well. undecided

Olodostein nwanne I think you are viewing this as if this is some Anambra state thing. I noted in your first post here where you warned that this idea should be collective and should not be "about superiority complex". Nna my survival race is a shameless race. I run like mad without caring what folks might think! It is part of your duty as nwa afo Igbo to push for the Owerri one. Please don't tell me that you don't believe that Owerri deserves an international airport. I would be very sad if you believe that.

I maintain that if you sit down and think, you would see that the only reason SE is losing large population is because there is no international access from SE. You gave an example of Kano international airport which is undergoing a massive transformation and expansion. Why do you think that is the case?

Do you think that a toad runs in the daytime for nothing?

Why should we be encouraging other zones to develop international airports, but when it comes to Igboland people remember that we don't have roads? Do jumbo jets ride on highways? Why should we continue to wait for federal government to fix roads when we can get international investors/concessionaires to produce world class roads and collect tolls on them? For how many years have we waited for roads and bridges and electricity and the like? Let me guess, at least 45 years! Has it happened? NO!

The core idea here is for us to take our destiny in our own hands and partner with foreign investors to build world class businesses which would sustain our economy long after Nigeria's oil wells dried up. Without international access, Igboland will continue to depend on others and can NEVER overtake them. What if those others decide to go at tortoise pace? That means that Igboland must go at snails pace! Meanwhile we continue to wait for roads and electricity, when we are the most cheated zone in the sharing scheme of the Nigerian rogue system.

We need those INTERNATIONAL airports! cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ACM10: 7:01am On Mar 29, 2012
bittyend: @ Abagworo

I want to read your suggestions, I like your mentality - you're one the realist people on NL. Okija_juju used to be like you, but I don't know when he contracted the virus. I think Ejine is also someone I rate highly.

Weakling!
You can't throw your own punch. You are waiting for someone else to do the job for you. Anyone that quits doing that automatically enters your blackbook.
Sissy!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 8:29am On Mar 29, 2012
chino11: Am beginning to think that Eze Onlytruth is light years ahead of all these retardeens we have on NL. This is somebody who is seeing the future of Alaigbo even beyond some of our sitting governors. He made sense when he posited that cities like Onitsha needs an Irnternational airport going by the volume of economic activities taking place in the city, which can only be compared to Lagos and PH. Nnewi also needs an access to the international airport that will be sited around Onitsha or Anambra north area.

Chino nwanne ka anyi na anwa nu o. cry
One day we will get the type of leaders thinking like me. I want Igboland to possess her possessions BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY. Some of the people opposing this idea are people with twisted mindset who think that they can cage us in Nigeria by denying us something as strategic as an international airport. They want us in Nigeria on their own terms: an evil and invidious term which forces us to live like them and become dreamless and vision-less bunch; a caricature of human potentials in the modern era. When certain first world businesses talk about the world, they basically talk about every other continent except Africa. I never wonder why that is the case because I see Africans in today's 21st century world thinking like 19 century humans. I bet you that most people opposed to this have never thought beyond oil revenue. They cannot think of a tax based fiscal sustainability.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Onlytruth(m): 8:45am On Mar 29, 2012
The core idea behind this proposal is that we need direct contact with foreign expertise. That can come from Nigerian diaspora, or foreigners. Without it, we can never grow modern businesses, and even professional practices.
I'll give one example.

A relation of mine who is an attorney here in the states, was sharing an experience about his interaction with top Nigerian lawyers on Facebook. He and they would discuss legal issues ranging from constitutional law, international law and jurisprudence, intellectual property law and others. He said that on most occasions, he would be making a particular argument using solid legal tools he has acquired in his over 12 years of practice as an attorney here.
He lamented that his Nigerian counterparts on most occasions seemed overwhelmed and could not follow his drifts. At a time he gave up and stopped trying to engage them in such discussions.
Bottom line is that there is a skills gap between Nigeria and the rest of the world.
The region that gets shut out of that international "skill pool" is the region that must migrate to other regions where such access exist.
SE cities lack that access. That is part of why our people move to other regions to settle and develop them, while neglecting our own.

Onye obuna murukwa anya ka azu o.
Ekwusikwa m ka oha m n'onu. cool
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 10:08am On Mar 29, 2012
Dede1:

Are you in any way insinuating that air carriers will take off and land at any airport deemed necessary without auhtorization? Please try to book a direct flight to Port Harcourt from certain air carriers other than air France or Lufthansa and listen to the response.

I am not insinuating anything - provide EVIDENCE of the FG trying to 'kill' PH airport or keep your imaginations to yourself.

You can't idly make claims that the FG is trying to do so and so without evidence.

Even if we believe the ridiculous idea that the FG is trying to 'kill' PH airport, what makes you think the same FG cannot try to 'kill' airports in the SE? Oh wait - the Igboland argument again - simply because it is in Igboland it will succeed.

The same way the roads have been built in Igboland, the same way pipelines are supplying petroleum products to Igboland and gully erosion has been dealt with in Igboland. undecided
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 10:14am On Mar 29, 2012
Dede1:

I heard you sound and clear, bro. People who have never tried to bring partners to Nigeria through the ports other than Lagos or Abuja will never understand the essence of direct flight into Nigeria from abroad.

So where is the evidence that direct flights into Abuja and Lagos are insufficient? You need direct flights into each mud hut in Nigeria before you can have investment there?

I will not mind a quick and hassle-free road journey for my guests but the stopover in Lagos or Abuja with local flight inconsistence and in certain cases sudden outright cancellation of flights.

So you think that an airport in Igboland will magically remove all these problems?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 10:22am On Mar 29, 2012
Onlytruth: The core idea behind this proposal is that we need direct contact with foreign expertise. That can come from Nigerian diaspora, or foreigners. Without it, we can never grow modern businesses, and even professional practices.

So you need to fly people directly to an airport to have contact?

When people in modern countries are collaborating across continents using IT technologies like virtual offices,digital libraries, teleconferencing, virtual conferencing, webcasts, webinars and the like, you phoolishly think you need to fly people directly into an area before they can be contact?

So your attorney friend needs to be able to feel the spit coming from the mouths of the people he is talking to before he can pass on knowledge?

Heck you should also say phones should be banned and people only talk face to face.

Backwards doesn't even begin to describe your mindset.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 12:29pm On Mar 29, 2012
debosky:

I am not insinuating anything - provide EVIDENCE of the FG trying to 'kill' PH airport or keep your imaginations to yourself.

You can't idly make claims that the FG is trying to do so and so without evidence.

Even if we believe the ridiculous idea that the FG is trying to 'kill' PH airport, what makes you think the same FG cannot try to 'kill' airports in the SE? Oh wait - the Igboland argument again - simply because it is in Igboland it will succeed.

The same way the roads have been built in Igboland, the same way pipelines are supplying petroleum products to Igboland and gully erosion has been dealt with in Igboland. undecided

There is no doubt you came with load of bias to this debate. All you have been writing is roads and gullies or lack thereof in Igbo land. I guess the argument the original poster made was south east of Nigeria is due for 3 International airports.

It is unfortunate you kept asking for evidence when the FG of Nigeria is final arbiter on the landing rights with regard to Nigerian airports. If the government of Nigeria has no hand in stymieing Port Harcourt airport, why is it only two carriers can go to Port Harcourt from abroad? During the patch-up of Port Harcourt airport, Air France begged the FG of Nigeria to permit landing rights in Owerri but Nigeria refused the request.

I could not believe reading such tribal-tinted post from you. From roads to airports, it has been the responsibility of the FG yet failure is what we get. The Port Harcourt-Owerri road, which would have made a journey from airport to Owerri memorable one, is neglected by FG of Nigeria. Yet you have the audacity to ask me for evidence.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Dede1(m): 12:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
debosky:

So where is the evidence that direct flights into Abuja and Lagos are insufficient? You need direct flights into each mud hut in Nigeria before you can have investment there?

So you think that an airport in Igboland will magically remove all these problems?

What a nonsensical poser. Debos, what are you smoking when you wrote this crap? What do you mean by a question such as “So where is the evidence that direct flights into Abuja and Lagos are insufficient?” I am not talking about sufficient or lack thereof. I am talking about convenience, safety (bad roads and local coffins they fly in Nigeria), time and memorabilia.

Lagos is 270 miles to Owerri and Abuja is close to 1000 miles to Owerri. Why in the world would I want to fly into Lagos or Abuja to get to Owerri on bad roads or fly in a coffin while Port Harcourt is 51 miles away from Owerri? Should I fly to Boston or New York from Nigeria for an intended journey to DC? Though granted the fact USA had good roads and transportation systems, such option is not in the cards of any right-thinking fellow.

Most people in DC find it hard to fly to BWI (Baltimore Washington International Airport) which is 44 miles away from DC. Instead they opt for Dulles International Airport in northern Virginia which is 30 miles from DC.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by ocelot2006(m): 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2012
debosky:

So you need to fly people directly to an airport to have contact?

When people in modern countries are collaborating across continents using IT technologies like virtual offices,digital libraries, teleconferencing, virtual conferencing, webcasts, webinars and the like, you phoolishly think you need to fly people directly into an area before they can be contact?

So your attorney friend needs to be able to feel the spit coming from the mouths of the people he is talking to before he can pass on knowledge?

Heck you should also say phones should be banned and people only talk face to face.

Backwards doesn't even begin to describe your mindset.

GBAM!!
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by emiye(m): 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2012
This kind of post should not come from an acclaimed leader, it contains lack of deep foresight, and awareness of the problems that are urgently needed to be solved. "International" airport is way remote from your needs, you need a big picture spectacle OP.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 1:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dede1:

What a nonsensical poser. Debos, what are you smoking when you wrote this crap? What do you mean by a question such as “So where is the evidence that direct flights into Abuja and Lagos are insufficient?” I am not talking about sufficient or lack thereof. I am talking about convenience, safety (bad roads and local coffins they fly in Nigeria), time and memorabilia.

I was referring generally to existing flight arrangements - not just Lagos and Abuja - Kano and PH also have regular international frequencies. Simply because you find them inconvenient is not sufficient reason to build new airports.

Will your three SE airports eliminate bad roads from Nigeria or will the flights drop you on your doorstep?

What convenience are you on about? It is far more convenient to fly from Lagos to Enugu, yet majority still go by road. I ask again, will building an international airport change that, or is it simply because majority of travellers can’t afford air travel?

Lagos is 270 miles to Owerri and Abuja is close to 1000 miles to Owerri. Why in the world would I want to fly into Lagos or Abuja to get to Owerri on bad roads or fly in a coffin while Port Harcourt is 51 miles away from Owerri? Should I fly to Boston or New York from Nigeria for an intended journey to DC? Though granted the fact USA had good roads and transportation systems, such option is not in the cards of any right-thinking fellow.

Good - so beyond your claim of the FG ‘killing’ PH, why have the ‘30%’ of MMIA travellers from the SE not switched to using PH since it is closer? Why do they all still use Lagos?

What makes you think they will use a ‘full international airport’ in Enugu if they fail to use them at the moment?
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by debosky(m): 2:08pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dede1:
There is no doubt you came with load of bias to this debate. All you have been writing is roads and gullies or lack thereof in Igbo land. I guess the argument the original poster made was south east of Nigeria is due for 3 International airports.

I definitely came with a bias - a bias against people proposing grandiose white elephant projects like airports while neglecting the BASIC ingredients for economic growth.

People who are too dim to see that similar white elephant airports have failed, even in advanced economies like South Korea, and closer home in places like Akwa Ibom where the acclaimed benefits have yet to be seen.

People who fail to address fundamental problems that will make any airport project fail while making glib references to places like the US that have developed road infrastructure before building airports everywhere.

It is unfortunate you kept asking for evidence when the FG of Nigeria is final arbiter on the landing rights with regard to Nigerian airports. If the government of Nigeria has no hand in stymieing Port Harcourt airport, why is it only two carriers can go to Port Harcourt from abroad?

So your evidence is simply that two carriers fly to PH? What if other international carriers are NOT interested in flying to Port Harcourt - have you considered that possibility?

You have still not provided any evidence - your claim is simply speculation.

During the patch-up of Port Harcourt airport, Air France begged the FG of Nigeria to permit landing rights in Owerri but Nigeria refused the request.

Do you know WHY the permit was denied? That it was denied may simply be because of the lack of certification of Owerri to receive international flights. Still you haven't provided evidence here of the FG trying to 'kill' any airport.

I could not believe reading such tribal-tinted post from you. From roads to airports, it has been the responsibility of the FG yet failure is what we get. The Port Harcourt-Owerri road, which would have made a journey from airport to Owerri memorable one, is neglected by FG of Nigeria. Yet you have the audacity to ask me for evidence.

There is no tribal tint in my post - it is simply illogical to think that building more airports will solve the problem of poor access to a locality - be it in Ogun, Gombe, Ebonyi or in Akwa Ibom.
Re: South East Nigeria Needs Three International Airports by Nnenna1(f): 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2012
As much as I have my opinions on this topic I also cannot help but notice the general contempt and dislike certain posters here have for the SE. I don't know when this sort of mentality will end (probably not for a while), and it is indeed a shame.

I will leave this thread at that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Wike Commissions Doctors Quarters In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Polls: Prophets Of Doom Must Apologise To Nigerians – Mark / MURIC Reacts To Proscription Of Shi'ite (IMN)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.