Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,344 members, 7,860,885 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:03 PM

Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? (8110 Views)

I will deny my husband sex until he pays his debt — wife / Who Pays Bride Prize In Ghana / Who Pays The Bills (husband Or Wife) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 4:50am On Mar 31, 2012
neyostica: Op, leave the girl alone, she wants a real man who can takecare of her not some struggling modafucker like you. Yeye boy, why she go contribute? You beta go n work harder. Queensmith, you are a foollllllllllll
i just must laugh. I believe he will be just to treat her as his slave also.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 4:50am On Mar 31, 2012
neyostica: Op, leave the girl alone, she wants a real man who can takecare of her not some struggling modafucker like you. Yeye boy, why she go contribute? You beta go n work harder. Queensmith, you are a foollllllllllll
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 5:14am On Mar 31, 2012
Lexusgs430: I also live in the UK and pay towards my mortgage and have been doing for almost 15 years. There is no crime in you paying the mortgage, but there are other bills that needs looking after, ie council tax,water bill,electricity bill,sky bill,household and contents insurance,life insurance policies,feeding expense,kids extra curriculum activities,kids clothing,car insurances,kids school meals to mention but a few.
Both of you would sit down, work out who does what and who pays what, problem solved.
If she insists on you paying all, run like fire is burning you,cos after you have overworked yourself and ended up an invalid, she would serve you a divorce petition and claim she needs to keep to the house for the well being of your kids and inevitable, kick your sorry ass out!
Best of Luck.
Jesus!! Na which one again come be the bolded? @queensmith, God bless your father. Anything you touch, e no fit spoil, e no fit dey average. This is pure selfishess. She want to keep her own money. I do not blame her. I blame nollywood and the thieves/owners of 9ja. If we must call a spade a spade, this is the mentality of a typical nigerian girl(60% of them).
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 5:17am On Mar 31, 2012
ledima: Some of u pple r funny. We keep shouting that we are 'equal' so women are now sharing the responsibility of men at home, but that's all. @poster if get home u will demand for dinner, if there is a mess u may demand for an explanation. If you choose to help ur wife with the baby n domestic chores it is because u have 'chosen' to, and if you don't nobody will call u a bush man. So, it is the mans 'responsibility' to provide for the home (including mortgage). If u are married to a wife who helps with that thank God, but if u r not, suck it up and be a man. Don't come and make a mockery of your home on NL. After all, were u forced 2 marry her?
orisirisi. Outstanding primitiveness.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 5:29am On Mar 31, 2012
walcolm:

you have put it succintly. any averagely educated woman who tells you your money is our money but her own money is her money is just a wicked and selfish person and it has nothing to do with culture.

i know of a couple...the husband was badly burnt in the 2008 economic and stock market crash in Nigeria and he has been struggling with paying loans and maintaining his stock portfolio to wade through the downturn. he was already in that situation by the time they got married. the woman earns a significant income from her job with a top multi-national bank but keeps all her money to herself. she has not helped the guy with a penny to offset his loans. she keeps her money in fixed deposit and treasury bills, always shopping for shoes and clothes and travelling for vacation every year. she would rather offer to buy his ticket for them to go abroad for a holiday than put her money in the family pot.

so OP, dont fall for that cultural BS...men were saddled with the responsibility for providing for the family because historically, men were empowered with education and the means to earn a living whilst women were expected to be domesticated. they made noise about inequality and all what not but now that they are now equally empowered, they now dont want to accept the responsibility that comes with that power

why would a woman spend 12hrs of her time working at a job, 10hrs sleeping, eating, taking her bath etc. thats 22hrs spent on herself and 2hrs available to spend on issues that have something to do with me and i get to pay for her 24hrs of existence in a day? that's the height of inequity!
brother, if I ever hear that, the only thing that will keep me close to her is her punny. (un)fortunately, I will get it free cos I have my way of getting things done my own way legally.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 5:42am On Mar 31, 2012
neyostica:
Shut ur mouth, thats how we do it here, if the guy cant takecare of the home himself, let him go n marry oyinbo. Waka pass jor, nonsense
is that how you do it in that your rented face-me-i-face-you house that i'm seeing on your profile?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dabrake(m): 5:48am On Mar 31, 2012
tpia@:
how is the guy paying his mortgage now, before marriage?

if he's not ready to marry then he shouldnt for goodness sake.

and if paying rent is a problem then he should find a rich woman where he is, who can pay his bills for him.
t[/b]ila[b]pia, why are you so ugly?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Nobody: 6:29am On Mar 31, 2012
OP, what you have on your hands is a selfish, unreasonable individual. A real partner's PRIMARY concern would be making sure you BOTH are working as a team regardless of who makes what or how much. I'm sorry, but if she cant be bothered to commit part of her wages to keeping the home her own husband and children live in then you are better off without her.
Obviously she doesnt love you. . . i would be skeptical marrying a woman who feels she can do better single than being with me solely because i dont earn enough to make sure she can coast through life for free.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Piyke: 9:26am On Mar 31, 2012
I'm sick of this kind of reasoning between couples, especially women. Isn't the bedrock of marriage sharing If a couple can share their bodies y not finances?

@OP whether its naija or london ur girl needs to understand marriage is joint business and you guys must share finances in some formula. If u don't believe this how will u handle her earning much more than u if that happens? I and my wife have a sharing formula which has been working for us with no problems.

A woman should understand this. Do consider another relationship if this understanding remains lacking.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by oraclefemi(m): 11:17am On Mar 31, 2012
if she ever opened her mouth to tell you that she wants to keep her pay..then she is a crazy biatch...who does that? shit like this makes my balls cringe when i think of marriage...
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by clintwine(m): 11:21am On Mar 31, 2012
The greatest advice my dad has given me is love is not blind
and i will tell you mine, love does not cut it.

You are hesitating to make a decision now because you are in love with her now
in 2 years after marriage, it won't be as it is now

Let me tell you how that love is going to die a natural death.

You will get so worked up paying up every bill while you look at an unsupportive woman buying gucci shoes and handbags, calling you names like stingy (cos u are prudent) ; lazy ; comparing you with her friends husbands.
then you would start feeling resentment at a very very selfish and wicked wife who watches you suffer everyday,
then you would wish you never married her, by then it will be late.

You need to re-define the characters of what you want in a wife.
You need to marry someone who is reasoning at the same level with you, someone who understands that marriage is about her building and making her family succeed and secure.

You are about to make the biggest mistake in your life and you alone can stop it.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by clintwine(m): 11:28am On Mar 31, 2012
You've made one already which is always sending her money
she has bragged about you to her friends
In her mindset you are the meal ticket.

You are an equivalent to her young aristo senator.

How many times have we seen this kind of things
a man from here goes to Nigeria marries a selfish woman or gives her an impression of who he is not
only for the woman to turn up abroad to get a reality shock that its a hard life

Then they wreck the mans life or the man ends up killing the woman.
You are a nice guy and family oriented, she is not, stay clear off her or you would be back here asking for advice on how to make your marriage work

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by oraclefemi(m): 11:51am On Mar 31, 2012
clintwine: You've made one already which is always sending her money
she has bragged about you to her friends
In her mindset you are the meal ticket.

You are an equivalent to her young aristo senator.

How many times have we seen this kind of things
a man from here goes to Nigeria marries a selfish woman or gives her an impression of who he is not
only for the woman to turn up abroad to get a reality shock that its a hard life

Then they wreck the mans life or the man ends up killing the woman.
You are a nice guy and family oriented, she is not, stay clear off her or you would be back here asking for advice on how to make your marriage work

pls tell him oo ..if he like make he hear word.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Vergil: 12:31pm On Mar 31, 2012
MrMaintain: Thank you all for d responses and lots of food for thought.

Want to clarify. I know hw hard I worked to purchase the place I have now, although those who are familiar with London will know that whilst Camden is good for young professional you can't have family there (hectic). So I'm talking abt in the future. Should we (God willing) be blessed with family etc and have family home. I must add that my current one is perfectly fine, as I (thankfully) got a sweet variablÉ rate deal and am not locked in fixed.
She isn't a gold digger @ all, I agree with most of you that this is just an individual issue with us. I was very careful not to sayy MOST women are like dis cos its clear that they aren't. I guess it's abt the communication anyway.

noyostica....hmmm u think I don't know your type ehn? Form big guy for nairaland to make u sound somehow but how be it u get so much time that every one of your posts has been on romance section? (Go check his profile) Keep deceiving urself, cos u not deceiving anyone else.

Hmm...you say she's not a gold digger. Some girls are good at concealing that m8!

Be careful. Still haven't answered how you two met? Especially, since you never stayed in Nigeria that much.

Be reaaally careful. Advice, 4get here please! This is no cultural beliefs or what have you!!

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
MrMaintain:

Thanks for your reply,

It's not that I pretend to be something that I am not. I am
I hear what you are saying about comparability and not trying to change someone. But I am thinking, maybe once she gets here and sees how things are done here, her mindset might change?

U wish!

Forget mindset. Have never lived outside of Nigeria but whenever we have a major expenses to do @ home, I support my hubby in my own lil way. Even is its just 5% of the total figure.lol

Having explained to dis lady and she still doesn't get it, its better u RUN like sumone suggested.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by afrodoc(m): 1:58pm On Mar 31, 2012
and what did she say she intends to do with her own money? wants u to pay for housing,feeding,clothing and all other expenses.......and she spends her money on what? shoes,fur coats and extensions?
i believe this problem is really deeper than you think.some questions remain unanswered 1)how did u guys meet 2)u say u love her,so what r d redeeming qualities that u love about her? she is always in naija and u r usually in d uk,r u sure u know her well enough to say u want to spend d rest of ur life with her.cos guy it seems like u guys have different philosophies of how a family should work.most nigerian women r not like ur babe but there r women over here that spend all their money and a large chunk of their husband's cash on aso ebi,vacations,jewellery while the education,character n sometimes health of their children goes to the dogs.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by linearity: 4:00pm On Mar 31, 2012
It should be joint...in some States in the US things like houses are jointly owned regardless of who makes the payment...If she does not want to contribute any dime to the family....and you pick you the taps....she still can lay claim to the House down the road and also get some settlements from you should you decide to sell.

This is unlike in Nigeria, where in majority of the cases; the person that pays for the house owns it.

Both of you should sit down and discuss this over...it might not necessary be her contributing half for the mortgage...depending on the ratio of both of your salaries...she can be asked to take care of all domestic things like food/grocery, utilities, gas for vehicle(s), daycare, etc...while you take care of things like mortgage and car notes.....This is the formula I am using with my wife..even at that...she was still have a better balance than myself....so in addition we agree to setup an regular automatic withdraw for certain amount from her salary account into our bill paying account...this brought some sanity to the ratio of take home salary...and each person have enough for other personal needs of theirs..

And like some people have said...this has nothing to do with culture, geography, Nigeria or anything...this is the kind of individual she is or she does not really want to settle down with you or does not want to settle down yet...because she might still have some sugar daddy footing the bill for housing, food, utilities, etc for her....The reason I say this is...if she still want to be single as you stated...she would have to pay bills for utilities, food, housing etc..so I do not see the problem for her to continue to do that during marriage in contribution to someelse share, except that some sugar daddy is footing those bills for now and she will lost access to those funds when she gets married plus be asked to start contributing towards them.

Most women out there even in Nigeria, will love to contribute to their home when they get married.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tpia5: 5:20pm On Mar 31, 2012
MrMaintain: Thank you all for d responses and lots of food for thought.

Want to clarify. I know hw hard I worked to purchase the place I have now, although those who are familiar with London will know that whilst Camden is good for young professional you can't have family there (hectic). So I'm talking abt in the future. Should we (God willing) be blessed with family etc and have family home. I must add that my current one is perfectly fine, as I (thankfully) got a sweet variablÉ rate deal and am not locked in fixed.
She isn't a gold digger @ all, I agree with most of you that this is just an individual issue with us. I was very careful not to sayy MOST women are like dis cos its clear that they aren't. I guess it's abt the communication anyway.

noyostica....hmmm u think I don't know your type ehn? Form big guy for nairaland to make u sound somehow but how be it u get so much time that every one of your posts has been on romance section? (Go check his profile) Keep deceiving urself, cos u not deceiving anyone else.

you still dey talk?

what concerns nl with your personal problem btw.

did you meet your fiance here?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tpia5: 5:24pm On Mar 31, 2012
dabrake: t[/b]ila[b]pia, why are you so ugly?

are you saying ugly people are not created by God?

If I'm ugly, does that remove something from your jollof rice?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Africaine(f): 6:36pm On Mar 31, 2012
Its admirable that you are talking about money before signing the dotted lines,I can't begin to tell how important it is.
When I got married we didn't talk our money,I just assumed that since we were married it automatically meant that we shared and plan together and was I wrong. He took some financial that almost wrecked us witout telling me,he tried to cover up bcus I guess he knew he was wrong, but instead of things to get beta,they got worse and he refused to come clean,instead he was giving me stories that just didn't add up,things got so bad that I had to sell my car just to help correct the mistakes he made and by the time I found it was almost too late,we had lost almost everything,I was 7months pregnant wit our 2nd child when I got the true picture of hw bad things were,I had hypertension and was in hospital till gave birth,I felt betrayed and still trying to work out that part,a lot happened a whole lot I cnt go into right but with the grace of God we are working out our marriage and I have taken up all the expenses while he concentrates on repaying his loans which I have insisted I won't help pay anymore,
Today we much happier and we working on ourselves
So see poster,its good you spell out ur expectations in clear terms and same applies to her,both of you have to find a common ground,and if that doesn't happen, pls find ur way. This is experience speakinh oh!
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Fxwarrior: 12:07am On Apr 01, 2012
At first glance I thought this was one of the most stupid postes in nairaland but after reading it I have come to understand it. My candid advice is to leave her.She is still a kid,age aside. If you go ahead it will be the most terrible mistake of your life.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by babuji(f): 12:33am On Apr 01, 2012
Mortgage is not the only thing that is paid for.
there are several other bills and as the children come into the picture so also will the bills increase.

I personally think your presentation of issues to her might be flawed hence the kind of response you're getting.
What you need to first of all understand from her is if she is willing to help both of you make it in life.
If she loves you, definitely she will.But if the willingness is not there, then sadly, you might have to think twice. (the ultimate decision lies with you and not nairaland)

From my understanding of your write up, She believes as the man, you should at least provide shelter(mortgage)

Experiences from her past might be playing a role here where women have helped men to build the house (all in the man's name)and later the woman is ejected out for another wife.

You know her more than us and you also know her background. Find out her fears and try to express and explain better.
If you havent lived oversees, you cant understand the rigours, so please dont blame her.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by dayokanu(m): 12:42am On Apr 01, 2012
^^ Actually not only the mortgage, She believes her money belongs to her, while His money should be the one used to run the house
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by queensmith: 12:50am On Apr 01, 2012
Africaine: Its admirable that you are talking about money before signing the dotted lines,I can't begin to tell how important it is.
When I got married we didn't talk our money,I just assumed that since we were married it automatically meant that we shared and plan together and was I wrong. He took some financial that almost wrecked us witout telling me,he tried to cover up bcus I guess he knew he was wrong, but instead of things to get beta,they got worse and he refused to come clean,instead he was giving me stories that just didn't add up,things got so bad that I had to sell my car just to help correct the mistakes he made and by the time I found it was almost too late,we had lost almost everything,I was 7months pregnant wit our 2nd child when I got the true picture of hw bad things were,I had hypertension and was in hospital till gave birth,I felt betrayed and still trying to work out that part,a lot happened a whole lot I cnt go into right but with the grace of God we are working out our marriage and I have taken up all the expenses while he concentrates on repaying his loans which I have insisted I won't help pay anymore,
Today we much happier and we working on ourselves
So see poster,its good you spell out ur expectations in clear terms and same applies to her,both of you have to find a common ground,and if that doesn't happen, pls find ur way. This is experience speakinh oh!

Goodness, alot goes on. I know how an oyibo woman will have dealth with such a man. o dear o dear!
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tpia5: 12:53am On Apr 01, 2012
i wonder what the big deal is about the 20- 50 or so pounds per fortnight the wife might be earning from the minor burger flipping job she might get until she finds proper employment?

is that what will pay the mortgage?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by chinweub: 10:19am On Apr 01, 2012
This is serious issue...... Thank your God this came to light now, she is still in 9ja. If she dont listen to ur point ....better take a walk now that it will not involve divorce. Take it from me ... The speed LOVE will disappear when u miss ur financial target Will amaze u.... What is d population of single females in Nigeria or UK. Sure i will find more compatible girl
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by afrodoc(m): 1:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
@tpia
read the OP's posts well,d fiancee isn't talking about her present financial status.what she said obviously meant that her money (whether she was flipping burgers or she was CEO of RBS)was HER MONEY...for her to spend on herself while the whole of the family including her shared the husband's money (whether he was a busboy or a City banker).it is not about how much money she may or may not have now but how she views family life and her philosophy about how a home should be run.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by gabbytabby: 5:19pm On Apr 01, 2012
She is being honest with you about what she is looking for in a partner and you need to also be honest with her on your expectation of your partner. The rest of your life, your dreams and aspirations, your homelife etc is too important for you to share this with someone who does not share or dream your dreams. It could all become a nightmare if you get married to someone under false pretence as a marriage founded on deceit lives in deceit.

You can help her fill the application form but you cannot do the interview for her. If she does not want to work then the interview will never be successful. If she does not want to contribute there will always be war in your home and do you want that. Your expectation is not unreasonable and neither is hers (especially where she is upfront about it as a lot of people would shake their head and then wait after marriage to show their true colour) it just does not go together.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by IgboWifeUSA: 4:18pm On Apr 03, 2012
queensmith:

Actually if we are to be frank thats exactly what it is, it isn't today women have been travelling to England for the full purpose of working to support thier husbands. Women that base thier life choices based on whether the man will cover their every need without them having to contribute are exactly so.
Whether the man is a cleaner or a billionaire is irrelevent since our perception of wealth in this case is relative.
I may not blink twice at the OPs situation, but to your typical village girl he's a goldmine. See what I mean?

Well if that is her attitude, im sure he's wise enough to further examine things before taking the big step of bringing her there. Many of my wise teachers have taught me that Marriage is a Contract, you both should be Able and Willing to bring something to the table, whether its food or money. This is why they say you must take your time to choose a partnert. This decision impacts you for a lifetime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sexually Frustrated Housewife Of Rich Husband / What Can I Use For Baby's Diaper Rash / Did I Act Too Desperate??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.