Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira (63397 Views)

President Buhari Voice Recognition Program - Contest For 50,000 Naira / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Convert Existing Website To Phone App? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by eazyd(m): 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:
This is a really tough decision for me. You can enter but let me think about the prize issue for a while.

Don't bother about the price--i'm not init for the price bt to sharpen my skills...i will nominate a charity to get the money thats if i win oo.lol

I tried to create a project on google code bt couldn't can you explain hw to do this.

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 6:40pm On Mar 31, 2012
morufoye: game on
Please express interest ASAP by creating a public repo and posting a link to it here.

PrinceDudu: Add java nah, abeg.
You can learn Python easily using links provided earlier in this thread

askphantom: @Seun: whats your beef with PHP?
Learn Python using the links provided above. Your eyes will be opened to wondrous things you never imagined.

I tried to create a project on google code bt couldn't can you explain hw to do this.
Go to code.google.com and click on "create a new project". You have to be signed in to your Google Account.
If Google Code doesn't work for you, try Bitbucket. The most important thing is to setup a public hg repo.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Fayimora(m): 6:52pm On Mar 31, 2012

@Seun
Errm I dont understand what exactly is going on here! Who conducts the exams? I am sure they have THE database. How exactly are you going to get access to that or is there an API that the developers would make use of? Are they supposed to mock a db?(not a good idea) Couldn't see anything making that clear enough in your description.

FYI, I am not competing but just trying to .......

----------------
Why Python? Why CherryPy? Why Google code?
My first assumption was that you are just trying to promote what you use. Hmm I thought I read a previous post saying "I also want to bring great programmers out of the closet (for jobs)". I think it should be rephrased to "I also want to bring great Python programmers out of the closet (for jobs)" . I don't think your flexible strict 'laws' would help you achieve that and if I am missing something then please share it.

BTW, I sent you 4 emails when you launched NL2 but didn't get a reply.

Goodluck to anyone attempting this! wink

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Slyr0x: 7:09pm On Mar 31, 2012
Personally, I believe JAMB's issue is a "capacity-handling" one. .It goes offline as a result of tooo many people trying to connect at the same time. Just a practical example of what a DOS (Denial Of Service) is.

Buying a server and allocating more resources to it should solve it.

But I might be wrong. .afterall, what do I know? sad

3 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by smsmoney(m): 7:11pm On Mar 31, 2012
Weldone @ Seun!Goodluck to the contestants
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by emsquare(m): 7:13pm On Mar 31, 2012
hydiciousb: chai i regret not knowing hw to build site o. but that money small o compared to what jamb will offer u if u were to sell to them.

Well said!
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by eazyd(m): 7:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:
Please express interest ASAP by creating a public repo and posting a link to it here.

You can learn Python easily using links provided earlier in this thread

Learn Python using the links provided above. Your eyes will be opened to wondrous things you never imagined.

Go to code.google.com and click on "create a new project". You have to be signed in to your Google Account.
If Google Code doesn't work for you, try Bitbucket. The most important thing is to setup a public hg repo.

Here's the link to my google code project-

http://code.google.com/p/my-result-eazy/

Still going through google code to see how it works ...

4 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by mpmp: 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2012

IT Experts working for JAMB can just follow this contest and download the winning script when it's over. They can take it, polish it, and install it on their server, free of charge. I don't mind. I'm just doing this to expose the hidden programming talents among us.

If the above is done, then JAMB will be easier to pass, because all a money-maker needs to do is hack the website, pass somebody who should have failed and charge a fee.

just my 2cents.

I think the question we need to ask is: who are the IT experts handling JAMB's websites / result checking application.
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by pystar: 7:28pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun,
I think I am going to give this a shot but there are some clarifications I need before getting started:
1. The specs: is this going to be a 1:1 copy of the current jamb website? I need to know because I have never used the site before, so I think you should bring out a specs list of what exactly you want the site to implement. Also, would I be using a mock database or what?

I am strolling over to github to create my repo (github is allowed right?) but I would be watching this space to get your clarifications on the specs list.

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by captalex(m): 7:47pm On Mar 31, 2012
Slyr0x: Personally, I believe JAMB's issue is a "capacity-handling" one. .It goes offline as a result of tooo many people trying to connect at the same time. Just a practical example of what a DOS (Denial Of Service) is.

Buying a server and allocating more resources to it should solve it.

But I might be wrong. .afterall, what do I know? sad

Afterall what do you know?.
sly,we've seen your posts and the damage you've caused.quit being modest and attack this challenge,
you guys are the pros.
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by softdir: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
captalex:
Afterall what do you know?.
sly,we've seen your posts and the damage you've caused.quit being modest and attack this challenge,
you guys are the pros.

I agree with Sly. As a search engine, the google pagr as so vety little visual elements. I used fire bug on the Jamb site and damn there were alot of unessesary elements, scripts, post backs and many more. There are several ways to skin a cat. But adding anothet skin is not one of them.
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by pystar: 8:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Seun
This is the link to my Google code repository http://code.google.com/p/nairaland-jamb-checker/

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Nobody: 9:06pm On Mar 31, 2012
doncigalo:

Nope you're way of mark, even though it is a read only website, it still requires the CPU resource of the server to load and serve the request to the users web browser. So if you have let say a million people trying to read or access data from the database on the server, the server's CPU needs to have enough RAM and processing power to handle all these requests if not it will CRASH.

Any optimisation that has to done will be done on the server end, by either configuring server to see if tweeking the load balance between the memory buffer and RAM will increase performance, if this doesn't work then generally you need to physically upgrade the server itself.

If at all there is any possibility of doing it script wise, then SUEN this is where transaction & concurrency management comes into play irrespective of whether it is a read only or read/write database. DB adimns are all to familiar with this.

JAMB needs a dedicated server to host these records, most likely they are using a shared server like those used for web hosting packages.

But lets see, it will be interesting to see what pips come up with.

How are you going to test their solutions ??

why is anyone here not mentioning cloud servers? its far more expensive but u'll never have a system failure due to over load!!!

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by lungtruth(m): 9:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun it is nice idea and the act of showing nigerian potential. But the pepper is too poor
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by abayomi77: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
What features do you require for this result checker?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 9:33pm On Mar 31, 2012
Fayimora: [font=Courier][size=11pt]@Seun
Errm I dont understand what exactly is going on here! Who conducts the exams? I am sure they have THE database. How exactly are you going to get access to that or is there an API that the developers would make use of? Are they supposed to mock a db?(not a good idea) Couldn't see anything making that clear enough in your description.
You'll create your own database and populate it with randomly generated data.
I'm thinking of developing a reference DB schema to make things easier for newbies.

Hmm I thought I read a previous post saying "I also want to bring great programmers out of the closet (for jobs)". I think it should be rephrased to "I also want to bring great Python programmers out of the closet (for jobs)"
Great programmers can learn new languages. Python is the easiest language to learn. Piece of cake for you.

BTW, I sent you 4 emails when you launched NL2 but didn't get a reply.
I didn't get any of them. I don't know why .... where did you send the mails to?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by pystar: 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2012
Can @Seun respond to the question of the features he wants for the result checker? I need it like yesterday
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by tunesoft(m): 9:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
wish i could...really wish, xolubi could try sha...
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Fayimora(m): 10:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:
You'll create your own database and populate it with randomly generated data.
I'm thinking of developing a reference DB schema to make things easier for newbies.
Oh ok fair enough. You might want to update you spec.

Seun:
Great programmers can learn new languages. Python is the easiest language to learn. Piece of cake for you.
Yeah but it would be a bit unfair to the absolute beginners. Referring to the 5 days development process. All good though!

Seun:
I didn't get any of them. I don't know why .... where did you send the mails to?
I sent them when you opened NL2 to the public via NL. Wasn't the PM feature fully working then?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by tegasworld: 10:14pm On Mar 31, 2012
askphantom: The problem with jamb website first has to do with scaling of the application to handle the heavy traffic that they get each time the result is released. During registration, over 1.5 million students use the website at different intervals over a period of time (several months). But during result checking, at least 1/3 of the number will check jamb result at almost the same time causing an overload of the server. No matter how sophisticated the application is and language used to develop it, if the server is not scaled to handle the amount of traffic, it will always crash. Twitter has crashed several times and it was not because of the application or development technique or language used to develop it. So i think coming up with a way JAMB can use multiple servers to handle result checking and scale the application will be better.

Just my thoughts.

@Seun: whats your beef with PHP?
i totally agree with you definitely not the script this JAMB dudes are on low budget GERMAN server host the site on a DEDICATED US SERVER AND SEE?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by a4extra: 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
Hey guys,

A scalable system does not need to change(much) when the size of the problem changes

Been a long time since i participated in a thread esp nairaland, but just for the sake of thisone.. imma offer my thots... Been always interested in this type of problem over here.. smiley

A well optimized script can only go so far.. thats why there is a job description called infrastructure management/engineering ops in larger IT companies. smiley

True, the app is a read only app.. and should work just as fast. But if infrastructure is not managed well its gonna be just as bad.
The problem statement here is to handle the jamb traffic.. thats what im gonna tackle.. Taking a look from the infrastructure angle grin

Quick Tips to Scale the App... without boring nitty gritty

vertical scalability: Just increase the size of the machine... if hav the money.. its easy and will do just fine... but it might get to a point where money cannot buy u a bigger machine

horizontal scalability: add more smaller machines (processing units) to tackle the problem.. its how everybody else does it.. ask google, facebook, yahoo... gbogbo won..

CACHING
Simply cache every page that does not have get or post parameters... will do just fine to solve the jamb site problem.. say like the login page... everyone wants to see it fast. You can also cache things like saayyy.. ummm.. db query results.. and you reduce database hits.
Gonna save your db some stress mehn
(Memcached is the king) wink

LOAD BALANCING
There is something called (Shared Nothing Architecture). Basic idea.. Every machine in your pool should understand and be able to process a request once added to the pool.. Everything required by a machine to understand a request should be within its reach.. This makes scaling the app very trival.. Just add another application server..Spread the work between multiple nodes(servers) in a cluster(farm) and u are good to go.. Just use software load balancers... Nginx is a gangster at this... i love HaProxy too

QUEUEING
Does not really apply here.. but say u had a hard job to do.. Just take the load off the app server and push it on to some other servers in your pool to the work later at their less intensive time.. when things are a little bit cool and the resources are available... u dig ??
lots of options mehn.. currently playing wiht RabbitMQ here... seeems cool though..

THE DATABASE...
ah haa... Replication is the in thing here...
Since the app is heavy read... Just add slaves.. The slaves take up the job of serving reads..
and a master simply takes in the write.. writes are a lot scarce here mehn.. like 2 powerful slaves (Dedicated Servers) will just hit the nail on the head.

When u hit the wall with that ... Sharding is the next thing.. Though i doubt if u are gonna ever get there....
Or just look into some solution that's built to scale...

Lastly .. Measure Everything..
Server Load, CPU Usage, I/O... this is where me stop my measuring for now sha..
but u can always look further.. database queries, indexing, memcache rate evictions, queue lengths. gbogbo e

Im tired mehn... hope u enjoyed my quick rant...
Python 3 is the future.. But mehn.. python 2.7 still does a lot for me

May the best coder win.. cheesy
Goodluck

Regards
Python Programmer. grin

7 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by doncigalo: 10:40pm On Mar 31, 2012
@fewj nice one!! thanks for spotting that, cloud servers are a good way to go, especially when combined with a master-slave configuration setup(kudos to a4extra for mentioning that) and not forgetting to mention that standard cloud hosting companies such as rackspace and ukfast provide load balancers as part of your cloud hosting package.

@a4extra Ur on point !! just one thing doh, u cant cache web pages that need a network resource irrespective of whether it has a get or post parameter, If the page requires a connection to a network resource like a DB then it cant be cached especially a login page which requires a connection to a DB.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by dmainboss: 10:51pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun, with all due respect, the reason the jamb site goes down is not just down to bad script. I have been a programmer for over 15 years and i know what am saying. Its a combination of several factors including hosting. in fact load balancing is a major factor. even if you write the best script in the world, if you don't host it on the right server or tweak the environment, it will still crash. one funny thing i find with many programmer is they do not understand nada about production level applications development. they tend to see everything from a geeks perspective. some don't even understand basics like database normalization and flow structure. a script to search for jamb result is a very simple script that can be done in 4hours. but jam must have the right. hosting and tweaking to make it rock.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by techytom(m): 10:57pm On Mar 31, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by ogzille(m): 10:58pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun, how will the data be handled?

Is part of the task creating a script that handles the backend result upload?

I guess d contestants will create their db structure or will you be providing that? Is it only the front end task that will be tackled?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by a4extra: 10:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
doncigalo: @fewj nice one!! thanks for spotting that, cloud servers are a good way to go, especially when combined with a master-slave configuration setup(kudos to a4extra for mentioning that) and not forgetting to mention that standard cloud hosting companies such as rackspace and ukfast provide load balancers as part of your cloud hosting package.

@a4extra Ur on point !! just one thing doh, u cant cache web pages that need a network resource irrespective of whether it has a get or post parameter, If the page requires a connection to a network resource like a DB then it cant be cached especially a login page which requires a connection to a DB.

Yo @doncigalo.. Yes true.. depends on how the login page is built though.. the login page can be cached just as well as other static pages... and the login processing can be forwarded to some gansta script that's ready to handle it (here on.. the script CANT be cached..)

The idea behind caching is so that the network resources dont have to be requested all the time.. since most of them dont change, we can just always re-render.. Some folks call this "per-site cache". I know django does a pretty good job at this
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by lanriz: 11:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
doncigalo:

Nope you're way of mark, even though it is a read only website, it still requires the CPU resource of the server to load and serve the request to the users web browser. So if you have let say a million people trying to read or access data from the database on the server, the server's CPU needs to have enough RAM and processing power to handle all these requests if not it will CRASH.

Any optimisation that has to done will be done on the server end, by either configuring server to see if tweeking the load balance between the memory buffer and RAM will increase performance, if this doesn't work then generally you need to physically upgrade the server itself.

If at all there is any possibility of doing it script wise, then SUEN this is where transaction & concurrency management comes into play irrespective of whether it is a read only or read/write database. DB adimns are all to familiar with this.

JAMB needs a dedicated server to host these records, most likely they are using a shared server like those used for web hosting packages.

But lets see, it will be interesting to see what pips come up with.

How are you going to test their solutions ??

Well said Don, this is a good contest at least to get a lot of people thinking, busy and creative but seriously how do you leave one part out for another. It is good to have a well scripted site and it is another to have a capable dedicated server to handle the bandwidth request with proper load balancing. Well scripted site in my opinion is like 30% of the issue with the official site. The major problem is a capable server, with what JAMB dedicates for running and maintaining this site, it can be conveniently hosted on very high-capacity dedicated server but it is just one of the politicized effort with corruption backing it up.

Now, talking about testing, you can't just test the script or codes alone, can you and the judges carry out a good Code Vs Traffic test? I know your site command good traffic but not as much concurrent traffic request during result release on Jamb website.

I still must say, I appreciate your effort, it is a good one geared towards positive result. We will get there.. good work Nairaland
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by doncigalo: 11:25pm On Mar 31, 2012
@a4extra There is another alternative actually, which is to make use of the new local storage feature in HTML5 (HTML5 rocks by d way !!), using this feature when a user visits a website that has this feature enabled, up to 5MB of data is downloaded into their browser, coupled with a cached script the user is able manipulate the data in the localstorage. So basically u can query and even insert data into the local storage whilst ur offline,if u want to even go further u cud write a script that checks once ur internet is up and running it automatically uploads new data from your local storage unto your online DB.

If you even package and launch it as a web app with Google Chrome, you can even store more than 5MB as long as you follow Google's strict guidelines .

@lanriz tnx, actually u can test the script/codes even the database as well, there r even loads of opensource tools for stress load/performance testing. I know because its part of my current job role wink

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by pystar: 11:47pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Seun
I just submitted my solution to the Nairaland mini web application challenge. You can check it out @ http://code.google.com/p/nairaland-coding-challenge/

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by toluxa1(m): 12:22am On Apr 01, 2012
Seun please I have a question. I am currently learning Python and you were actually the one that inspired me to pick it up. Am not a beginner to programming though. I want to know if Python has a Certification they do like Microsoft, JAVA etc? If yes can one do it in Nigeria?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by gururguy: 12:56am On Apr 01, 2012
u guys are funny. all this things. u can do it. i can do it. i learn programming. is very simple. i can create scripts but there is one thing i always want. see my members happy. if u can do it do it. i have already started the project and by 3 days time it will be ready
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Fayimora(m): 1:08am On Apr 01, 2012
toluxa1: Seun please I have a question. I am currently learning Python and you were actually the one that inspired me to pick it up. Am not a beginner to programming though. I want to know if Python has a Certification they do like Microsoft, JAVA etc? If yes can one do it in Nigeria?
Forget about certification and do your thing! Just my opinion! I know 2 Nigerians that brag about some crappy Java cert and yet they could not write a SIMPLE Library application, even after giving them a requirement spec! I was really disappointed and had to do that job myself! (I got an email and an offer but referred the employer to someone them). I believe your Seun would agree with me on this!

Please if you arent saying anything related to the thread could you please open a new thread! I intentionally did not hide a few posts here but if it continues .. well trust me kodewrita doesn't waste time!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet Dare Obasanjo Who Works With Microsoft / The Greatest Programmer On Nairaland / Funny Programming Memes. Just For Laughs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.