Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA (14004 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme 2015 / What Was Your First GPA &now Your Current CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by abbey621(m): 8:02pm On Apr 09, 2012
Some of you guys are just pathetic, it's easy to blame someone for asking for advice. We all know how the educational system works in 9ja, a lot of things could have contributed to that low GPA, including sadist lecturers and intentional oppression. The only way that I can see that she's at fault is that she should have realized that she didn't have the intelligence to survive her courses and immediately should have had the brains to runs her way through, in 9ja if you're not intelligent, at least stay smart, no be everybody wey pass sabi book. Also, what kind of university allows a student to have a 1.4 CPGA without any disciplinary actions, sometimes I wonder if there are any credible university in Nigeria.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Sharon6(f): 8:02pm On Apr 09, 2012
[quote author=Ileke-IdI]

Stop that thing.

Witha 1.48 GPA? Even Mr. Biggs will not hire her.

No be Naija we dey?
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by crackhouse(m): 8:07pm On Apr 09, 2012
wiseman2011: 1.4 is capital 3rd class. 4 her additional one year should be a thing of secret she should tell her mum d truth n nothing but truth that is thing that can set her free before she wil cause more harm.O.
1.4 is not up to 3rd class. 1.4 is pass and not 3rd class.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by crackhouse(m): 8:17pm On Apr 09, 2012
Ramcie: 1.48. Hmm! Tnk God I graduated b4 the bb era came into being. If not ehn! I for fail with pride grin
kind of funny mehn. Pinging, tweeting and 2going. BB era indeed. It's sad that most of the BB girls don't know what else to do with the internet apart from pinging.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 09, 2012
First let me acknowledge the mental difficulty of overcoming such a setback. She has to finish strong no matter what she comes out with. The problem with part time is that the level of seriousness is not that high as to full time studies. But not withstanding she is not to be excused. I studied Engineering and while I was in finals, i knew i was going to have an extra year. So I informed my family. It was like hell. My family believes I am a first class material but some how in my 400 i performed poorly. I immediately responded to my ability. I knew i was better than this. I knew engineering was it for me but i have been distracted by my own misdemeanor in 300level. It is easy to lose focus. I outlined the courses I need to pass very well. My problem was if I wasn't gettin A's, i was gettin stupid carry overs. So i prepared myself mentally. I participated in my final year program activities, sendforth etc to save face and don't feel self pity. Got materials from some of my out going colleagues. And i painted the big picture in front of me. I was determined to finish strong. My family supported me by giving me some money if it meant going for extra tutorials. There is renewed passion when family supports you through difficult times. I went back and saw where i missed it. So i went for it, took off pride and attended the classes. Some colleagues of my set were with me too. New colleagues helped alot but sometimes i had to deal with the feeling of depressed. God helped me... I don too talk but I would like to encourage her to tell her family. She'd be amazed the supports she'll get. Although at first they will show their disappointment but she'll come through. Now, I'm done with service and about going for masters in France in September. Isn't it amazing? I didn't give up. Upped my CGPA to 3.35. Although family stil feels I was distracted but i've moved on with it. After school i got books that would be helpful in my career pursuit. The reading process doesn't end in school. It is even more required when you graduate. Today I am happy with my growth academically. I didn't let failure kill the passion i had for engineering. Let her find strength in pain. In a year's time, if she put in the required effort she will be proud of herself. I repeat, she must inform family. Before i round up, i want to encourage students who are in the university and are having a hard time getting the required grades. I know some may be of your own doing but some largely beyond your control. You may be out of touch with the course but i'm alwaz an advocate of the purpose of university education is not to get a degree but to be educated. It's not CGPA that prepares you for life. She must find where she naturally habitat. There is hope for a tree if it be cut down because it can grow again at the scent of water. She can grow again. She can pursue excellence from now on and she should take responsibility for her career and her personal success. Yes! She can. Sorry folks for the long post. I have interest in folks who think they have failed and when i see or read about one. I just want to help,inspire and motivate them.

8 Likes

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by crackhouse(m): 8:24pm On Apr 09, 2012
Which course did she study? With that i can profer solution.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by chidike(m): 8:31pm On Apr 09, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
1.48 out of 4.0?

The girl no dey even try at all. chaii!!! embarassed

They should not let this girl operate machinery or any sort of computer.
Where i graduated from its 5.0 not 4.0 o! I remember my final year 1st semester my GP was 3.4, i worked hard at studying and eventually came out with a 3.6. Abeg her result is her own doing, that's wat uni students don't get, there's LIFE after university. Where your good degree will give u a lil edge over others. Most companies won't even collect CV from 2.2 graduates, if u like sabi book well well. i hope she has some kind of skill she can harness, or if she fine, find a husband and settle down, cos that result only tells me that this chic went to school and didn't study. i remember a guy in my dept when i was in 4th year, he was withdrawn for having over 20 carry over in various courses (i'm not exaggerating). Tell me where that one wan start from. If you're still in the uni and reading this, let this be a lesson to you, study hard and make your parents proud. i came out with a 2.1, i'm still serving and i've already been called for two aptitude tests. i'm believing God that before the end of my service year i would have secured a job.

6 Likes

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Riodiao(m): 8:38pm On Apr 09, 2012
Sometimes fate marks a man out..But like sir alex ferguson will always say: dont give in. Just do a gov Amaechi.Hope u knw his story in uniport. Non of his mates 2day r beta off dan him.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 09, 2012
Afta 2much flexin in school,so she don realize say tym don go. If she no fit do 1yr,my advise go b mke she stat all over frm yr1. So as dey say xperience is d best teacher.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by starlightRR(m): 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2012
careytommy:
And I thought I've heard it all!
What the fvck is 'honourable third class'?

If someone graduated on his|her normal time (4yrs for a 4yr course) it becomes 3rd class (hons) ......since an extension is involved its now 3rd class
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by chidike(m): 8:50pm On Apr 09, 2012
My bad! U needed advice on wat to do? Tell your friend to just come clean and tell her mum, u don't hide this kind of issues, cos sooner or later, it'll rare its ugly head.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by mctemmy(f): 8:56pm On Apr 09, 2012
If u wan hear fact I go tell una tell d gal make she just vex comot drop school and go into music wt jazzzz!!! Or better still make she just go learn trade or register for apprenticeship to learn ifa divination wt dat she fit become yeye osun of our time!!!! OLODO RABATA TI KO LE FIDI IGO KO O.....can u imagine 1.4 cheiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Tatian(f): 8:56pm On Apr 09, 2012
[quote au[url][/url]thor=emmerks[color=#000099][/color]]please can we know the school and course of study, nothing is impossible in nigerian universities. Depending on the school, she can even graduate with 1st class; but can she defend it

(Unilag DLI) university of lagos , Distant learning insitute.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by 9zeros(m): 8:58pm On Apr 09, 2012
duality: she should just move on with her life; coz ther's not much she can do for now IF she wants to do the right thing.

@op, tell her to move on and that she has greater successes awaiting her in the future. besides all these degrees are vanity, they no longer guarantee daily bread.

she should hear the word of the Lord: PICK UP YOUR BED AND (MOVE ON) WALK. she also will soon find out that most of the things we kill our self for don't really matter much.
well said.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by dipoley2k(f): 9:07pm On Apr 09, 2012
[size=13pt]Get your university transcript transfer to final year & finish up within (one year or one & a half years) in Malaysia(University of East London Campus) for your degree with good result and go for another 1 year for your Masters[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/910841/study-malaysia-british-university-visit

2 Likes

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by dipoley2k(f): 9:08pm On Apr 09, 2012
[size=13pt]Get your university transcript transfer to final year & finish up within (one year or one & a half years) in Malaysia(University of East London Campus) for your degree with good result and go for another 1 year for your Masters[/size]

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by dipoley2k(f): 9:08pm On Apr 09, 2012

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by saska1122: 9:11pm On Apr 09, 2012
Yea, Final year is always the time to realize these mistakes. All hope is not lost except she accepts to be defeated.
Even if she has to graduate with a pass(1.4 is a pass), but let her loose her head.
Like @leki2 said, there is more to education than grades(or class of degree). Let her tell her family and face
whatever comes out of it. The challenges we face in life makes us stronger.

But on a serious note, BB(or phone internet) has done more harm to our younger generation than good. Like someone said,
all most of them do with their internet is "Pinging", facebooking etc. Imagine me trying to assist a student to solve
some problem and she is busy with her phone. All she was doing was replying to facebook messages. I stopped helping since
that day. I think our society should start to preach "Freedom with responsibility" which is lacking otherwise the future
will be horrible when the crop of students today are in leadership position.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by stagger: 9:18pm On Apr 09, 2012
I am very sure this your friend is one of those girls that did nothing but runs throughout her school years. Even 2-3hrs a day of consistent daily study can easily put someone at a level of 4.0 and above.

1.48 as CGPA? My God!
shocked shocked shocked

Why can't our undergrads render what is Caesar's to Caesar for crying out loud?
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by bikokwe(m): 9:21pm On Apr 09, 2012
life is full of challenges, failure is not a person just an event. failure in a task doesn't mean failure in life. we have all failed at one point or another. She should tell her parents. I recommend the book I read several years ago by John C Maxwell Failing Forward. She should simply Face it!

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Uglyduckling: 9:47pm On Apr 09, 2012
I feel no pity for the girl whatsoever. In the four years she was in school, was she living under a rock? such a poor CGPA does not occur overnight. In as much as Nigeria's educational system is bad, that is no excuse for such a poor performance. As one person rightly said, most undergraduates in Nigerian universities act like there is no life after school and that is one of the reasons their results are so bad. thankfully, she can still succeed in life as a good university degree is not a prerequisite foe success but as far as her university education goes she has failed and has to deal with the consequences rather than postponing the evil day.

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by jayruby83: 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2012
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by eklassical(m): 9:59pm On Apr 09, 2012
iykay4455: That's just too low.What has she been doing all these years?

partying i guess,or making out wiv diff magas...SMH... Tell her 2go back 2 write jamb jare...
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by jayruby83: 10:02pm On Apr 09, 2012
iyak445 is right, i played games,skipped classes, messed around but still i always had a little time to cram/read, that kinda GP means being absolutely vacant from lectures or school. its way too low
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by femi4: 10:21pm On Apr 09, 2012
1.4 out of 5.0; you no try at all. That's ordinary PASS. What a waste!!!
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 09, 2012
1.48 CGPA? grin lol i no fit shout.
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by abdurrazaq(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2012
It is of no use blaming her now. I‘m not a graduate yet myself but I know how hard it is to cope with the Nigerian education system.
I have a friend who has outstanding courses to pass but still managed to get a good job even though, his best will be 1.80 after the completion of his program.
My advice is that she should summon the courage to open up to her parents and resolve to do better in her extra year. This may actually be a blessing in disguise as this may force her to become a successful enterpreneur.
May GOD guide us all aright. AMYN

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Prestonvic(m): 10:40pm On Apr 09, 2012
iykay4455: That's just too low.What has she been doing all these years?

Pinging, being d hotest chic in campus with political connections through sugar daddies-RUNS and staying in a well furnished appartment without oppening her books let alone reading, hmmmm...
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by ladygaga(f): 10:46pm On Apr 09, 2012
1.48? I really don't w.ant to jugde but seriously what was she doing over the years
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by stagger: 10:52pm On Apr 09, 2012
Let us face the facts. We all studied in the same f***ked up Nigerian system. How does that excuse a CGPA of 1.48? A CUMULATIVE grade point average of 1.48?

Seriously what the hell was this girl even doing in the university? The babe is worse than an olodo rapata!
Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by Kennyinusa(m): 11:11pm On Apr 09, 2012
Wow 1.4 is not bad, but one thing you should let your friend know is that she should build a lot of stuff around that CGPA. She doesn't need any to be an employee to earn the extra income, she shouldn't just sit back and do nothing because at this stage there is nothing she can do about it. As for her mom, she should tell her or come up with some lie because I can tell that they aint that close else she should have known some about it all along. She should face her if she can

1 Like

Re: My Undergraduate Friend is Depressed About Her CGPA by kaelz(m): 11:17pm On Apr 09, 2012
ATMC: d truth is dt what she's graduating with is her making, it hurts especially when she sees her mates coming out with better g.p, nd she knows very well dt she could have done well...i suggest she carry on. She should convocate with her mates, snap pictures, let her mom come if she wishes then afterwards she can tell her dt her name didn't come out for service dt she failed some final year courses...u know, dt she least expected she'll fail those courses period...face d shame now but vow to do better in future, may be go for a second degree in another course.. Don't worry ok, she is not a failure, d mere fact dt she was ashamed proves so
!! dat's very brilliant of u, i lyk pple lyk u....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Will The 2012 JAMB Results Be Released? / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / Lasu Produce Six First Class , 6885 Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.