Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,959 members, 7,852,238 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:25 PM

Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? (6358 Views)

Shocked Doctors Deliver Baby Born With Half Head (photo) / Cossy Orjiakor Holds A Glass Of Wine With Her Boobs (Photos) / Nearly Half Of Women In Relationships Have A Back-up Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by SAFO(m): 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2012
LOL @ all the slow people in class today.

Half empty = you're a pessimist or more of a realist. You tend to see things as they are and place value accordingly. You're prepared for the worst but hope for the best.

Half full = you're an optimist, you tend to look for the bright spots and assume every outcome a success. These people tend to either be a tad bit naive or overconfident.

Me personally, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2012
[quote author=lefulefu][/quote]

Smh.
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by KevinII(m): 5:47am On Apr 21, 2012
Yield: Kevin II, please satiate an inquisitive mind and dive further into this correlation (that I, myself, am not even aware of) between this thread and me looking for a man + me being stressed. LOL.com! Odd, yet intriguing variables. Being the curious person I am, I would so looooove to be informed, so fill me in, pls. That would actually make for an interesting conversation! Meep, Not!

-Terminates sarcastic mode-

Really, don't bother. The paper-thin words you uttered up there are more than enough. This was a question for people to think outside the box. I simply wanted to hear people's p.o.v's, but it's not by force to answer. If you knew you weren't capable of answering the question, your immature self should've made an exit. Even a 1st grader would've had something more sensible to say. Someone like you would've benefitted from an all-day kindergaten, Olodo.

yield did you by any stretch of imagination just otter those word to me? smhid.
may amdioha seal your yansh with slurry from a pigsty! may sango breath raw fire into your lungs. ode. god save you that i did not see this on time i for pour u acid for toto. olori ibu
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by KevinII(m): 5:48am On Apr 21, 2012
SAFO: LOL @ all the slow people in class today.

Half empty = you're a pessimist or more of a realist. You tend to see things as they are and place value accordingly. You're prepared for the worst but hope for the best.

Half full = you're an optimist, you tend to look for the bright spots and assume every outcome a success. These people tend to either be a tad bit naive or overconfident.

Me personally, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.
for your mind now u be sharp guy. when an answer is so obvious it's actually dumb to say it, comprende?
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2012
Kevin_II:
for your mind now u be sharp guy. when an answer is so obvious it's actually dumb to say it, comprende?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
no mind am jor grin.he think say becos he dey yansh landlord dauther and the landlord no know den he be smart guy grin.he no know say one day na one day monkey go go market he no go come back again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 23, 2012
Kevin_II:
yield did you by any stretch of imagination just otter those word to me? smhid.
may amdioha seal your yansh with slurry from a pigsty! may sango breath raw fire into your lungs. ode. god save you that i did not see this on time i for pour u acid for toto. olori ibu
Oooh, I'm so scared. *Wails in horror.* Mcheew! And No, I was talking to the wall, i.diot! My replies keep eliciting vulgar replies from you. Is your life so miserable that you cannot communicate without wishing harm on someone? Acting like a keyboard warrior does not make you look cool, neither does it make you look like Mr. Wolf. Stop making threats online; it makes you look very juvenile! There's absolutely nothing you can say that would make me fear you, trust me. The internet is a great place for people to come on and act all scary. See, the problem with wishing bad on someone is that you don't know the kind of air they've around them, because what you say just might come right back to you, ten times stronger. I didn't say it; it was already written. Just some words of advice. Be well.

Kevin_II:
If you're going to correct someone, at least make sure you're correction's on point. "The answer is so obvious?" Is that right? Big mumu. How could I even expect any different?! Someone with limited reasoning like you cannot think outside the box. I didn't post this topic because I wanted to see who's a pessimist and realist. It would take much more than a question like this to determine those qualities in someone, especially on an internet forum. Although those're two possible ways of looking at the question (SAFO, I appreciate your reply; thank you!), there're other ways of analyzing it and that was what I wanted to see! So far, only Jackpot came close to one of them (thank you, Jackpot!). And quoting you, "when an answer is so obvious it's actually dumb to say it?" Really? Did you at all move past 1st grade? Did you even make 1st grade? Because it seems you've the mind of a toddler, haba! For the record, even if you think answer is wrong or obvious, whether you're doing an exam of being asked a question, you should still speak up or write down an answer, regardless!

Now, you sir, have yourself a good day and I mean that literally.
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by ANYPEN(m): 12:39am On Jul 17, 2012
Okay now, listen everyone. the glass is half full.
the water wasn't manufactured with the glass, it was poured in after the glass was manufactured & even if it is half empty, it must have first been @ the level of been half filled. grin
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Ranoscky(m): 1:29am On Jul 18, 2012
Half empty.

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by freecocoa(f): 2:12am On Jul 18, 2012
That glass is actually full because the two halves doesn't look like they come from one glass cup abi na tumber to me.

So i say the glass is very full and an empty glass of the same size was placed on the full one to make it look like half of the full glass undecided.

Thank you class grin

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
I see a glass that is in need to be filled and at the same time has some water to quench the thirst of the thirsty.

I See transperency, equity and balance. I see purity, tranquility and imperfection.

it's more than a glass of water. it's mystery yearning to be solved.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
Matthew briggs: I see a glass that is in need to filled and at the same time has some water that can quech the thirst of the thirsty.

I See transperency, equity and balance. I see purity, tranquility and imperfection.

it's more than a glass of water. it's mystery yearning to be solved.

Superb.

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 06, 2013
Err...half full = optimist. Half empty = pessimist. That's the everyday thing.

However, I'd use my own translation/semantics to explain what I can see in the picture.

Let's say "half empty" means half-way from full to empty. And "half full" means half-way from empty to full.

So, I'll say the constant there is "half way", right?

Then flip that, and let's see what "half-way" represents in everyday life.

I can see an "inbetweener." Between two extremes, two contrasting views, two contrasting conditions. I see a balance. A balance between good and bad. I see the best of both worlds.

I'm done before I start chatting shyte.

@Yield

Never knew you had a tough side to you. This thread is hysterical!! You defo go hard.

Btw, where's KevinII the ar.sehole? -I've not seen that doozy on here for time. God bless him!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 3:53am On Dec 07, 2013
Actually, that's an interesting way of looking at it, Shymexx.
'The constant is always half-way': Half way to being full, Half-way to being empty.

Zero = Empty
One = Full

0 + 0.5 = Half Full [0.5]
1 - 0.5 = Half Empty [0.5]

-Would you say it's better to live by an "half-way to being full" or an "half-way to being empty" motto?
-Would you ever consider the glass as being full [One] at all? Why?
-How can you even be sure the glass exists? Can you ever be sure?

-The catwoman in me comes out when necessary, especially when it comes to standing up for myself. Rawr.
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:13am On Dec 07, 2013
From an other prespective.

Who says this glass is half empty and half full, I see a glass that is actually filled up to the brim and even overflowing, it just that it's filled with different elements.

It is filled Half way with water and the remaining half with air.

I see this glass as a symbol of unity and coexistence... the glass is making itself available as an instrument to house 2 disparate elements that hardly coexist, Air & water and at the same time giving them equal chances to survive.

I see a man and woman held together by the beutiful bond of marriage. The water rep the woman, the air represent the man. And the glass the beautiful bond(container) of marriage. And for that marriage to survive transperency, equality and purity of purpose is quite crucial. It should be noted that this bond is as fragile as glass.

it's more than a glass of water. it's a symbol.

#Matthew briggs

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Miner13: 7:28am On Dec 07, 2013
I will be more happier if do not find this comment lengthy, but read and compare it with your life.

The cup is way full and cup is half empty both option are right based on what is visible to human eyes.
Because, the cup was in a state of stable condition with no signal of adding to or removing from the content in it.

But........,

This cup and the content therein should be view beyond what will see in the physical.......

What if it is compare to fulfilment and accomplishment of life goals and dreams.

Call back your IQ, and ask yourself, is my set goals and dreams to attaining a certain standard in life "HALF WAY FULL or HALF WAY EMPTY".

If it's HALF WAY FULL, i say a big congratulations. My advice; do not relent, put in more zeal and let your race be to winning the goals and not in competition with anybody. Then you would be able to beat every of last performances.

If you discover it's HALF WAY EMPTY, it is never too late, you still have the intellect to rebuilt your goals and dreams toward achieving a fulfilled life...
Give your a very quiet time in a quiet place if possible with your writing materials or voice recorder, think out yourself; note down/record everything you think is causing the reduction in your achievement.
Forget not the best solution you can use to annul/cancel the effect of the changes.

REMEMBER YOUR GOALS AND DREAMS IS THE BATHON YOUR ARE HOLDING IN HAND FOR THE MARATHON RACE TO YOUR SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT.

SO,

HOLD IT TIGHT.

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 07, 2013
Yield: Actually, that's an interesting way of looking at it, Shymexx.
'The constant is always half-way': Half way to being full, Half-way to being empty.

Zero = Empty
One = Full

0 + 0.5 = Half Full [0.5]
1 - 0.5 = Half Empty [0.5]

-Would you say it's better to live by an "half-way to being full" or an "half-way to being empty" motto?
-Would you ever consider the glass as being full [One] at all? Why?
-How can you even be sure the glass exists? Can you ever be sure?

-The catwoman in me comes out when necessary, especially when it comes to standing up for myself. Rawr.

Interesting... grin

- "Half-way to being full" or "half-way to being empty" motto? - I'd say this particular description represents decrement and increment. Being hopeful vis-a-vis hopelessness. Inspired vs. broken. Realism vs. idealism. I'm riding with "half-way to being full." I'm hopeful. I'm on my toes. And I'm seeking increment. I'll never give up nor back down. grin

- If I were to use physics - I'd say the glass is full because in quantum mechanics empty space doesn't exist. Since what you might consider as being empty, or a vacuum, actually has physical fields with virtual particles moving in and out of existence - even if there's no matter there. So if we consider that - then glass might be full, with an equilibrium between the physical matter and the physical fields. Do you get my drift?

- This is a tough one. If the glass doesn't exist, then there can't be vacuum/emptiness nor physical matter. Matter/atom signals the presence of a vacuum. And there has to be a "container" for matter to be pulled inwards towards it by the electric field - and other part which is the physical field is repelled to achieve equilibrium. Hence why you've got the half-way sequence - half-way full and half-way empty. Evidently, if there's no glass - then both sequence wouldn't exist. Let me compare it to real life situation and say - if there's no aspiration, there won't be any need for pessimism (half-way empty) and optimism (half-way full).

Darn!! These are some scary questions! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic reply, Shymexx,

-I don't want to quote your reply, in case you want to do anything with it later, so here goes:

-Firstly, I think there're pros and cons to each side. Having an "half-way to being full" or an optimistic motto is great, but sometimes one might set their expectations so high ...only to be disappointed, or one might simply be too comfortable. An healthy level of neuroticism can be a good thing, as it can promote vigilance. Those with low levels of neuroticism can be exposed to various types of threats - because they always focus on positive aspects of situations and ignore warning signs. On the other hand, "an half-way to being empty" motto leads to more realistic expectations and more productivity. Secondly, yes, I know what you mean. The "empty" part of the glass doesn't really exist because it's actually made up of interactive [virtual] particles, mostly photons. The empty space or vacuum is not really empty at all because at its lowest energy state [absolute zero], it is full of rapid fluctuations - necessary for its existence, and these particles are constantly being created and destroyed. Although it appears empty, it actually isn't - because it's filled with activity and energy. So, technically, the glass is actually always full, always. With your last point, true. Nothing exists without a cause and space cannot exist without matter, yes. However, one can also say that the glass can exist independently of its contents. But it won't exist in time, but in space. I'm not sure if you know about Plato's theory of Forms? It pretty much says that everything that exists in the physical world is just an "idea" or a copy and the real, perfect entities exist in space. Here, space only exists in the the nonphysical world that we do not see. It is also not dependent on the mind, meaning, even if you do not see the object (in this case, the glass), it exists. There's a little more I want to say, but I'mma stop here for now. It's fun how you can look at one question from different angles.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

[size=1pt] Sure, you will. smiley [/size]
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 08, 2013
Matthew briggs: From an other prespective.

Who says this glass is half empty and half full, I see a glass that is actually filled up to the brim and even overflowing, it just that it's filled with different elements.

It is filled Half way with water and the remaining half with air.

I see this glass as a symbol of unity and coexistence... the glass is making itself available as an instrument to house 2 disparate elements that hardly coexist, Air & water and at the same time giving them equal chances to survive.

I see a man and woman held together by the beutiful bond of marriage. The water rep the woman, the air represent the man. And the glass the beautiful bond(container) of marriage. And for that marriage to survive transperency, equality and purity of purpose is quite crucial. It should be noted that this bond is as fragile as glass.

it's more than a glass of water. it's a symbol.

#Matthew briggs

Very good, Matthew. Thanks for your thoughts!

Miner13: I will be more happier if do not find this comment lengthy, but read and compare it with your life.

The cup is way full and cup is half empty both option are right based on what is visible to human eyes.
Because, the cup was in a state of stable condition with signal of adding to or removing from the content in it.

But........,

This cup and the content therein should be view beyond what will see in the physical.......

What if it is compare to fulfilment and accomplishment of life goals and dreams.

Call back your IQ, and ask yourself, is my set goals and dreams to attaining a certain standard in life "HALF WAY FULL or HALF WAY EMPTY".

If it's HALF WAY FULL, i say a big congratulations. My advice; do not relent, put in more zeal and let your race be to winning the goals and not in competition with anybody. Then you would be able to beat every of last performances.

If you discover it's HALF WAY EMPTY, it is never too late, you still have the intellect to rebuilt your goals and dreams toward achieving a fulfilled life...
Give your a very quiet time in a quiet place if possible with your writing materials or voice recorder, think out yourself; note down/record everything you think is causing the reduction in your achievement.
Forget not the best solution you can use to annul/cancel the effect of the changes.

REMEMBER YOUR GOALS AND DREAMS IS THE BATHON YOUR ARE HOLDING IN HAND FOR THE MARATHON RACE TO YOUR SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT.

SO,

HOLD IT TIGHT.
Kudos. I don't find it lengthy at all. Totally: The "cup and the content therein should be view beyond what will see in the physical".

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Miner13!
Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Teespice(f): 6:51am On Dec 08, 2013
I always see the glass as half full. Shows optimism on my part and if I persist, it would transform from half full to very full and pouring over.

1 Like

Re: Is The Glass Half Full Or Half Empty? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
Yield: Thanks for the fantastic reply, Shymexx,

-I don't want to quote your reply, in case you want to do anything with it later, so here goes:

-Firstly, I think there're pros and cons to each side. Having an "half-way to being full" or an optimistic motto is great, but sometimes one might set their expectations so high ...only to be disappointed, or one might simply be too comfortable. An healthy level of neuroticism can be a good thing, as it can promote vigilance. Those with low levels of neuroticism can be exposed to various types of threats - because they always focus on positive aspects of situations and ignore warning signs. On the other hand, "an half-way to being empty" motto leads to more realistic expectations and more productivity. Secondly, yes, I know what you mean. The "empty" part of the glass doesn't really exist because it's actually made up of interactive [virtual] particles, mostly photons. The empty space or vacuum is not really empty at all because at its lowest energy state [absolute zero], it is full of rapid fluctuations - necessary for its existence, and these particles are constantly being created and destroyed. Although it appears empty, it actually isn't - because it's filled with activity and energy. So, technically, the glass is actually always full, always. With your last point, true. Nothing exists without a cause and space cannot exist without matter, yes. However, one can also say that the glass can exist independently of its contents. But it won't exist in time, but in space. I'm not sure if you know about Plato's theory of Forms? It pretty much says that everything that exists in the physical world is just an "idea" or a copy and the real, perfect entities exist in space. Here, space only exists in the the nonphysical world that we do not see. It is also not dependent on the mind, meaning, even if you do not see the object (in this case, the glass), it exists. There's a little more I want to say, but I'mma stop here for now. It's fun how you can look at one question from different angles.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

[size=1pt] Sure, you will. smiley [/size]

Plato's theory of forms? - sorry, I'm not into really into Greek epistemology, metaphysics and philosophy. I only align with the the ancient Egyptian versions. Classical age philosophy isn't my thing. I keep it 100% African. grin tongue Just messing about. Read a lot of Plato's works, but I've never paid much attention to that theory.

Anyway, I dig everything you wrote and the explanation is refreshing. I can relate to the "set expectations too high" vis-a-vis " "too-comfortable"/"complacency" bit. Hmmm...some say reality is an illusion, while others say you create your own reality. The complexity in humanity's existence and the need to always create a balance in everything.

All in all, I like the way you explain things and your level of understanding of complex things. You're a star! Looking forward to reading more stuffs from you. tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Like About Your Boyfriend/girlfriend / Suicidal Mission: I Will Do Anything To Have Sex With My Father Again / How Do You Like A Boyfriend That Cooks Like Me? Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.