Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,057 members, 7,814,637 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto (8192 Views)

GEJ Commissions 240km Trans- African Highway / GEJ Commissions Uquo Gas Plant And Lays Foundation For Quantum Petrochemical / GEJ Commissions Bullet Proof Vest Factory In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by mukina2: 3:35pm On Apr 10, 2012
Today, in Sokoto, Sokoto State, I commissioned the first of several Federal Government Model Almajiri Schools for itinerant scholars commonly referred to as Almajiri. This is in fulfillment of the promises I made on this page in a note titled 'Fighting Insecurity With Education' on the 15th of November 2010. This promise was also repeated at various times during my presidential campaign. I gave my word that I would ensure that every child in Nigeria has access to quality education, and today, in every state of Nigeria where the almajirinci form of education is practiced this administration will ensure that a Model Almajiri School is built. These schools will promote the learning of Islamic religious knowledge and Western education. The schools will be equipped with modern facilities such as a Language Laboratory, Qur'an recitation hall, classrooms and dormitories as well as a clinic, vocational workshop, dining hall and mallam quarters. This is only a beginning. We will not stop there. This administration has given and will continue to give all levels of education (primary, secondary and tertiary) priority because as a teacher myself I know that in this knowledge-driven age, a nation does not become wealthy by what it has under the ground rather the wealth of nations are today measured by what is between the ears of her citizens. GEJ
https://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck/posts/360744297309284

President Goodluck Jonathan has commissioned the first Model Almajiri Boarding School in Gagi village, Sokoto-south Local Government Area, of Sokoto state.

The President described the commissioning as “truly historic” noting that nation is marking another milestone in its educational development process with the commissioning of the Model Almajiri Boarding School.

According the President, “this is the first modern boarding school entirely dedicated to the Almajiri”, adding that the school is part of his administration’s “determined effort to provide equal access to education for all Nigerian children.”

Source
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by xterra2(m): 3:54pm On Apr 10, 2012
Why is it that every thread started by mukina2 is posted to the homepage ? ??

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by shagaman: 3:59pm On Apr 10, 2012
Nice move...the question is are they willing to be educated if not its just a waste of money project...
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:17pm On Apr 10, 2012
This is a very good move indeed - the Teachers will be from Yemen with years of experience in indoctrinating almajiris in the culture of hate and terrorism - Hey! why is Firefox trying to convert almajiris into "Irishman"

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2012
I hope they're planning to build one each in all the geopolitical zones of the country.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Ejine(m): 4:27pm On Apr 10, 2012
Damn! I give this school 2 years to get totally run-down. Hell, even the building itself looks like it was built with complete indifference.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by stolenstone: 4:37pm On Apr 10, 2012
yeah! Why is every thread started by mukina2 moved to d front page with or without traffic
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by stolenstone: 4:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
well, nice move from the FG but that is if the talibans will agree to the school afterall they forbid western education!
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 10, 2012
d school is n north west, boko s rampaging n d north east! im jst curious

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by PointB: 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2012
Almajiro School? Better the North dump this archaic educational system for something more progressive!
I hope they won't wake up 20 year to regret settling still for this model!
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Apr 10, 2012
Commmissioned an old school? Really?? ROFLMAOO
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by werepeLeri: 5:12pm On Apr 10, 2012
Today, in Sokoto, Sokoto State, I commissioned the first of several Federal Government Model Almajiri Schools for itinerant scholars commonly referred to as Almajiri. This is in fulfillment of the promises I made on this page in a note titled 'Fighting Insecurity With Education' on the 15th of November 2010. This promise was also repeated at various times during my presidential campaign. I gave my word that I would ensure that every child in Nigeria has access to quality education, and today, in every state of Nigeria where the almajirinci form of education is practiced this administration will ensure that a Model Almajiri School is built. These schools will promote the learning of Islamic religious knowledge and Western education. The schools will be equipped with modern facilities such as a Language Laboratory, Qur'an recitation hall, classrooms and dormitories as well as a clinic, vocational workshop, dining hall and mallam quarters. This is only a beginning. We will not stop there. This administration has given and will continue to give all levels of education (primary, secondary and tertiary) priority because as a teacher myself I know that in this knowledge-driven age, a nation does not become wealthy by what it has under the ground rather the wealth of nations are today measured by what is between the ears of her citizens. GEJ
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by emsquare(m): 5:17pm On Apr 10, 2012
shagaman: Nice move...the question is are they willing to be educated if not its just a waste of money project...

Well said!
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Ournaija: 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2012
This shows that the North is not ready for a change. They even embrace this nonsense called Almajiri Model School. I bet with my 20 kobo that more Almajiris will be produced in the next two years. This is like a free ticket from the government to the irresponsible Northern parents to manufacture more Almajiris that will cause more troubles. After all the government is there to fund their Almajiris. The Almajiri system is bad, a responsible government should scrap it and replace it with a new system.

Nigeria is gradually taking over from the terrorist Arab countries.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by iykak47: 5:26pm On Apr 10, 2012
stolen stone: yeah! Why is every thread started by mukina2 moved to d front page with or without traffic
This is nairaland where Mukina2 level is higher than yours,she is not just a poster. Guy mind your own business.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by friedrice1: 5:36pm On Apr 10, 2012
how can The President of Nigeria, commission this trash, and be proud of it.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by edoyad(m): 5:37pm On Apr 10, 2012
Ejiné: Damn! I give this school 2 years to get totally run-down. Hell, even the building itself looks like it was built with complete indifference.

That wasn't the school in that pic, don't know where they got that from. Anyways, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by mrperfect(m): 5:43pm On Apr 10, 2012
That is a welcome development.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by hakanai(m): 6:00pm On Apr 10, 2012
Thank you Mr president for setting a standard and i hope the state governors can take it from there.Please Mr president push the governors the establish more and get good teachers.A blend of the religious and western knowledge will eliminate any suspicions or reservations.Also the states should pass and enforce strict laws on child education.Child hawking and labor should be halted for the next 15years and mandatory schooling hours must be enforced.
Parents should also be informed and advised to en-role in the adult education/mature student programs.It could also be customize with the modern Almajiri school concept since alot of people still offer Quranic classes regardless of age.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by edicolove: 6:03pm On Apr 10, 2012
Ournaija: This shows that the North is not ready for a change. They even embrace this nonsense called Almajiri Model School. I bet with my 20 kobo that more Almajiris will be produced in the next two years. This is like a free ticket from the government to the irresponsible Northern parents to manufacture more Almajiris that will cause more troubles. After all the government is there to fund their Almajiris. The Almajiri system is bad, a responsible government should scrap it and replace it with a new system.

Nigeria is gradually taking over from the terrorist Arab countries.

Like you rightly pointed out, almajiri is a creation of Northern parents not by government. And please people should stop saying it is caused byu poverty or the situation in the country. Poverty should not not make someone give birth to scores of children they cannot cater for. It is purely a cultural issue. They should introduce birth control in the North. Simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by PointB: 6:10pm On Apr 10, 2012
haka_nai: Thank you Mr presidnet for setting a standard and i hope the state governors can take it from there.

Well meaning state governors should 'rescue' this children from this Almajiri system and put them in better school - western standards.

Nevertheless, let's thank the FG. They have done what your people myopically asked for - a new improved Almajiri Factory!
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by ektbear: 6:17pm On Apr 10, 2012
Why is the FG of an at least on paper secular state building Islamic religious schools?
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by amosy007: 6:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: This is a very good move indeed - the Teachers will be from Yemen with years of experience in indoctrinating almajiris in the culture of hate and terrorism - Hey! why is Firefox trying to convert almajiris into "Irishman"
lmao.. Very funny
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:28pm On Apr 10, 2012
edicolove:

Like you rightly pointed out, almajiri is a creation of Northern parents not by government. And please people should stop saying it is caused byu poverty or the situation in the country. Poverty should not not make someone give birth to scores of children they cannot cater for. It is purely a cultural issue. They should introduce birth control in the North. Simple as that.

^^^I couldn't agree more. I think for any woman that has more than three kids, they should tie her tubes. And for the dudes (ah!! a tricky one undecided), i think they should tie their pipes after three kids as well.

Unless of course they can afford to take care of any number of kids they and their wife/s produce.

Shikena.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 7:01pm On Apr 10, 2012
God bless GEJ, those innocent kids have been abused for far too long.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 10, 2012
fried-rice:
how can The President of Nigeria, commission this trash, and be proud of it.
mumu dey worry u.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by mamdanju: 7:04pm On Apr 10, 2012
Although i am not a fan of Jonathan and his PDP but i have always wished and prayed for him to succeed as a leader so that the country will be better. I must salute GEJ for this giant leap. This is about giving hope to the poorest of the poor for a better future. More of this please!!!
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by okunoba(m): 7:53pm On Apr 10, 2012
I commend Mr President on this giant step, but is it the right step? I don`t think so, I believe the system of Almajiri education should be scrapped for secular education where they are given the skills necessary to survive in this modern World. Learning the Quran will not achieve this but will rather perpetuate the brain washing of our youth in religious dogma of the dark ages, where humanity is divided into two camps of believers and non believers, who are for ever at war with each other until the day islam is victorious and rules the World.

The Usman Danfodio`s white flag of jihad being passed on to the next generation, with Niger Delter oil money. Allah truely is great and Mohamed must surely be is last messenger. Allahu akba.

Northern Nigeria desperately needs an Ataturk to free it from the shackles of religion.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Arosa(m): 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2012
GEJ is doing the right thing. Good job.

@Okunoba, what GEJ just did is called compromise. "you can't force a horse to drink water" as they say.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beync(f): 8:18pm On Apr 10, 2012
I dont see much usefullness in building schools for reciting quran. these traditional school has caused more harm than good as we can see these almajiris being used for sucide bombings meaning quran doesnt teach them how valuable a life is. A sort of vocational schools where they can learn usefull skills and become useful to themself and not nuisance would hav been more productive. And serious law on birth control is important in the north so as to stop these women from shitting out children they cannot bring up properly
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by member479760: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2012
Retardeen is a joker for calling that a complete project, look at the surrounding?
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Afam4eva(m): 8:30pm On Apr 10, 2012
Doesn't sokoto get allocations just like every state in the federation? What do they use their allocation for, that will warrant the FG doing what is supposed to be the perogative of sokoto state.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Trouble Looms As High Court Says No Party Must Field Obaseki As Its Candidate. / Yahaya Bello Increased Kogi Students Scholarships By 300% / List Of Igbo Governors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.