Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,496 members, 7,836,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto (8202 Views)

GEJ Commissions 240km Trans- African Highway / GEJ Commissions Uquo Gas Plant And Lays Foundation For Quantum Petrochemical / GEJ Commissions Bullet Proof Vest Factory In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by babs4president: 8:39pm On Apr 10, 2012
Wy must we b abusive because of diffrences in opinion. Pls donot abuse me 4 my stand on dis issue xpecially d SS n d SE. I think on dis issue GEJ misd it big tym because in Naija skool curriculum dre is IRK n CRK topics dat can take care of any religious need of the north 4rm Cradle to any level. Wy den must GEJ succumb to pressure in establishing such a useless skool wen he his suppose to make a law dat wil 4ce parent to send dier children to skool? Or better still wy didn't he coarse d well-educated ones in d north to speak to dier brodas as it was done in Singapore wen illiterate gorillas in human skin were killin pple? I think dre's more to dis dan meetin d eyes. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by KnowAll(m): 9:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
Building of schools like this should have been under d purvey of LG, unfortunately d state Governors have hyjacked LG govt funds to d detriment of LG. The financial independence of LG is something we should pursue with reknewed vigour.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by emmykk(m): 9:55pm On Apr 10, 2012
shagaman: Nice move...the question is are they willing to be educated if not its just a waste of money project...
greater bombing await us in future
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by boysy(m): 9:58pm On Apr 10, 2012
Good step by d president if Almagiri will not pay Nigerian back with bombing after their graduation years of brainwashing by d myopic Islamic schorlars.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 10:01pm On Apr 10, 2012
KnowAll: Building of schools like this should have been under d purvey of LG, unfortunately d state Governors have hyjacked LG govt funds to d detriment of LG. The financial independence of LG is something we should pursue with reknewed vigour.

Word.
However, in the case of almajiri schools, the LG's would have behaved exactly the same way as the state govts and abandoned the kids to a life of violent crime. The abuse of those kids has been institutionalised by the elite; it is that culture that needs breaking.
The financial independence of LG's is a laudable goal, but is a different matter all together.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by werepeLeri: 10:21pm On Apr 10, 2012
Many of your fore fathers laughed at Awolowo in the West when he pioneered free and compulsory primary education. Many of you are laughing now, but you will all become history - dead and forgotten, while the school and the system stays.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by solomon111(m): 10:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
nakedall: Retardeen is a joker for calling that a complete project, look at the surrounding?
Indeed you are very naked intellectually!
SMH.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by ektbear: 10:31pm On Apr 10, 2012
afam4eva: Doesn't sokoto get allocations just like every state in the federation? What do they use their allocation for, that will warrant the FG doing what is supposed to be the perogative of sokoto state.

An excellent question, in addition to the one raised earlier about spending funds on religion.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Chyz2: 10:36pm On Apr 10, 2012
Beaf:

Word.
However, in the case of almajiri schools, the LG's would have behaved exactly the same way as the state govts and abandoned the kids to a life of violent crime. The abuse of those kids has been institutionalised by the elite; it is that culture that needs breaking.
The financial independence of LG's is a laudable goal, but is a different matter all together.

Nothings changed just the look of the school. The kids that are begging on the streets attend almajiri schools. Also, after the are done with their islamic education, where will they get jobs? What skills will they have? Same person,different jacket.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 10:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
werepeLeri: Many of your fore fathers laughed at Awolowo in the West when he pioneered free and compulsory primary education. Many of you are laughing now, but you will all become history - dead and forgotten, while the school and the system stays.

Tell them. Many do not realise the massive force for change that education is.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by strangerf: 10:43pm On Apr 10, 2012
afam4eva: Doesn't sokoto get allocations just like every state in the federation? What do they use their allocation for, that will warrant the FG doing what is supposed to be the perogative of sokoto state.

Stupiddd question:

You know the FG account has what they call special fund for stuff like this? Since the state cant/unable/decided not to do it, dont you think the FG is doing the right thing by stepping in to take control of the situation?

This is a matter of national security which is strictly the purview of the central government. . . No?
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2012
Chyz*:

Nothings changed just the look of the school. The kids that are begging on the streets attend almajiri schools. Also, after the are done with their islamic education, where will they get jobs? What skills will they have? Same person,different jacket.

You couldn't be more wrong, the new system includes western education.
Underneath the facade is the standardisation of the almajiri system.
Standardisation includes accreditation, setting qualifications for mallams, gradual criminalisation etc. You know the drill.

As they say, "softly, softly catch monkey."
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 10, 2012
Before I roll out the drums, I have some unanswered questions. One, what standards of quality are being set now for the staff to be employed in these schools? Two, how do we know the admission process won't be bastardized and/or politicized? Three, what is the plan for subsequent funding of these schools, in a country that still allocates almost a trillion naira for security, N150 billion for a profligate legislature, N1 billion for feeding Aso Rock and 72% of the budget for recurrent expenditure?

I just want to be sure that the FG has covered its bases and thought this thing through, before I begin to applaud.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by soloj1(m): 11:54pm On Apr 10, 2012
Fg is aiding more irresponsibility. This almajiri stuff is an ethno-religious thing, - Hausa/fulani -muslims, to be precise. Y wuld d Fg use our resources to cleanup dia mess so they wuld continue to marry more and divorce-to-marry again, and in the process, giving birth to children they can not fend for.
I was in Zaria sm yrs bk and sm of them were collecting Agric bank loans and marrying xtra wives -wt no intention of paying back the loans...
So many of them defaulted. Years later, the banks wisen-up and started asking them to form cooperatives, but no more individual loans...
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Gadboy: 12:27am On Apr 11, 2012
Almajiri is a clear case of child abuse i stand to be corrected, if not why are the elite not sending their children to almajiri all dis are misconception from their so called mallams.the government should enact a law to arrest parent that voilet child right act and perental care which the need rather than build schools cause this will not keep them off the street.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Afam4eva(m): 12:32am On Apr 11, 2012
strangerf:

Stupiddd question:

You know the FG account has what they call special fund for stuff like this? Since the state cant/unable/decided not to do it, dont you think the FG is doing the right thing by stepping in to take control of the situation?

This is a matter of national security which is strictly the purview of the central government. . . No?

I really don't care if the the Almajiris get an education. What's my worry is this preferential treatment been given to this people despite the fact that they have a government in that state. Why can't the FG extend the same largess to the south. Why can't an educational trust fund be launched for area boys in Lagos or for petty illiterate traders in east. Don't they need an education too? Our commonwealth cannot be used to develop a region of this country while other regions that are already cheated with federal character and resource allocation remain neglected.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Fornorth(m): 12:56am On Apr 11, 2012
Ournaija: This shows that the North is not ready for a change. They even embrace this nonsense called Almajiri Model School. I bet with my 20 kobo that more Almajiris will be produced in the next two years. This is like a free ticket from the government to the irresponsible Northern parents to manufacture more Almajiris that will cause more troubles. After all the government is there to fund their Almajiris. The Almajiri system is bad, a responsible government should scrap it and replace it with a new system.
Nigeria is gradually taking over from the terrorist Arab countries.
we northern muslims realy want to be educated and live in the way of holy qouran and our prophet teaching,any one try to change this is our enemy.by the way we muslims are not against western education but we are against the lie,corruption,bad habit and ungodly rules it bring to the whole world. So if our presdent did this with a good intention for expandin and modernizing our qouranic school we are behind him 100/100. MAY GOD ALMIGHTY HELP AND PROTECT NIGERIA FROM ALL EVIL PEOPLE FROM WHAT'S EVER RELIGIONS. AMEEEEN
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Nymphnode(m): 12:56am On Apr 11, 2012
I beg, What excactly does ALMAJIRI means? Because it sounds to me like a school only for them Almajiri's alone
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 12:56am On Apr 11, 2012
If we say that the problems in the North are caused by widespread lack of education, then what can be wrong with educating the people?
Long before boko haram started and right here on NL, I argued that illiteracy in the core-North was Nigeria's biggest security threat; today, that argument is like a prophecy.

There is nothing more dangerous than an ignorant person and nobody more easily brainwashed than an illiterate. Educate the people and 90% of our problems will be solved; it is straightforward and easy. Everyone benefits; the abuse of the kids as begging almajiri's/riot weapons will cease, Nigeria's productive workforce will increase and the intensity of regional rivalries will decrease as we begin to read the same books and see through the same eyes.

Everyone wins.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by billyG(m): 1:30am On Apr 11, 2012
What a Bleep up! the best thing to do is to scrap almajiri system & jail any malam who encourage it send those children to modern school,and make them to stop churning out to many bad creations(bokoS).
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Seamate(m): 1:34am On Apr 11, 2012
NO comments
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Fornorth(m): 1:37am On Apr 11, 2012
Nymph node: I beg, What excactly does ALMAJIRI means? Because it sounds to me like a school only for them Almajiri's alone
the word ALMAJIRI means "BEGGER" and let me explain this to you there is no where in islam that god of our prophet told us we muslims to let our own children beggin on the street in the name of islam, in fact the only stuation that a muslim has a permit to beg someone is when he is not physicaly in any way capable to engage in any work that will get him some food to eat,once he had food to satisfy his hunger he is forbid to beg. So note this islam has nothing in anyway relating with ALMAJIRI. its only some old tradition in the some northern rural ereas with lack of islamic education that are perfoming this bad habit, couse you cant imagine to educate a child while he is beggin for food and cloth to wear. Iam a full hausa man and muslim but iam really ashame for this almajiri things.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Nobody: 2:00am On Apr 11, 2012
What do they learn in such a school? If they are not taught about sciences,arts,sociology,etc other than religion doctrines, it's better not to set up such a school. If it something equivalent to seminary for Christian, then, it is meant to care for religion purposes which would not do the nation any good. On the other hand, if things which apply to Western education, some disturbing fundamental group like Boko Haram is against is part of the system then, it is a laudable program. And, I hope to see a better funded and well equipped ones springing out through out the whole Northern part to contain the less number of educated people in that region.

However, it is not something that can be guaranteed to be free of religion sentiment and rife at the long run. Constant monitoring of activities going on in the school should be of utmost priority, to better understand how this kind of education system can best help those who are asking for it. Still, from a reasonable perspective, with insight to what Islamic education has achieved around the world, it is important to give these kids extra orientation about the world they are living in, because, it is beyond a secular community and to get along requires approach basically associated with Western education.

It is disturbing to see the Northerners are asking for something like this when Arab nations(their model) are incorporating different aspect of Westernised ideas into their system yet Nigeria Northerners are asking for the backward and degradable part. Let's hope at the end this idea serves them well for the benefit of all Nigerians to live in peace.

Above all, I sincerely doubt this would be of consequence to the issue of Boko Haram at hand.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Beaf: 2:01am On Apr 11, 2012
^
Take time out to learn about the schools first, bro.
Western education is part of the curriculum; also these are primary school level places, so physics, biology etc are out of it.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by nduchucks: 3:00am On Apr 11, 2012
I applaud the President for championing the education of the most marginalized Nigerians, the Almajiris. Each school opened will get hundreds, if not thousands of potential BH members off the streets.

As articulated by Obama just yesterday, Nigerians are hungry for progress and improvement in their lives, but northern Nigerians feel this need most acutely. Life in Nigeria may be tough for many, but life in the North is grim for almost all. There is strong sentiment throughout the North - that government is not on the side of the people and their poverty is a result of government neglect, corruption, and abuse. This action by the President is a big step towards changing this perception. Kudos to GEJ.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by ektbear: 5:45am On Apr 11, 2012
Government funded Islamic schools. Where they will memorize the koran and other useless activities. All on government's dime.

na wa o

So can I have a grant to teach kids in my own state (Ekiti) science, mathematics, and english, if they'll get a grant to teach kids the koran in Sokoto?

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by nyabingi(m): 7:05am On Apr 11, 2012
THIS IS ANOTHER ROUND OF PEOPLE DECEIVING PEOPLE, FROM THE LOOK OF THIS PICTURE THESE LITTLE DUDES DO NOT LOOK ONE BIT LIKE ALMAJIRIS ON THE STREETS OF KANO, KADUNA, MAIDUGURI, YOLA, ZAMFARA OR EVEN NIGER...THIS IS SIMPLY A MEANS OF AWARDING CONTRACTS TO APPEASE SOME NORTHERNERS IN THE FACE OF INSECURITIES OVER HERE...MARK MY WORDS IN TWO YEARS TIME LETS VISIT THIS TOPIC AGAIN THEN YOU'LL SEE WHAT WOULD BECOME OF THOSE BUILDINGS!!

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by Jack65: 7:06am On Apr 11, 2012
Tomorrow some of these Almajiries will start joustling for federal jod with a Southner with Bsc. In the name of Federal character. Nigeria! SMH
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by cute08: 7:13am On Apr 11, 2012
Nice one! Before nw i ws sugesting sm alternativ ways we cud educate d almajiri in2 inculcatin gud quranic, moral, health wise,socialy, mentally n oda skils.. n i tink n pray dis helps IA
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by oluoma1: 7:28am On Apr 11, 2012
Good idea, but have dey forgotten dat boko haram still dey parade. Dis is an easy access and opportunity for dem to enter the state. I heard dat they're bombing schools in maiduguri, and beer parlor in jos. Is gud as they built it for alamajiri, cos them boko haram uses dem to perform and they want to wipe dem all. Dats gud idea believe it or not i have spoken. Hahahahaha.. I laugh.
Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by cute08: 7:30am On Apr 11, 2012
I disagree wit u. Almajiri doesnt mean BEGGERS bt IMMIGRANTS who move fm place 2 place in search for knowledge irespective of family backgrounds or statue. As tym elaps, D Almajiri system became bad dat sm parent took it for grantd as poverty is d oda of d day 2 ease denselves witout sendg money or food for d child. Of cus d child has 2 feed if nt cloth n entitled 2 gud health of which d said MALLAMS cnt aford as d children r much..to survive d children find demselves beggin in d streets. Yes, AL ISLAM abolish beggin. Wht we shld do is sugest ways in which we cud help d system nt tarnish it..

1 Like

Re: GEJ Commissions Almajiri Model School In Sokoto by cute08: 7:44am On Apr 11, 2012
Almajiri skol is nt a system n cn neva b a systm 4 Boko Haram. D almajiri skol is 2 teach d child d light of islam.. as islam is a religion of just..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Yar'adua - 3 Years Remembrance / I Am IGBO But Nnamdi Kanu Is WRONG About The Biafra Map! / Biafra: The Memo Of Oba Akenzua On Aburi- Eric Teniola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.