Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,985 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal (22907 Views)

What A Nigeria Woman Can Do, An Oyibo Woman Can Do Better, Caption This Photo / Read A Lady's Take On Woman Claiming Equal Rights With Men + Photo / What A Woman Can Do (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2012
It doesnt have to be a competition.A man and woman are 2 sides to the same coin.I think if each brings their strengths to a relationship, and recognizes their own weaknesses, they could make a great team with mutual respect.

2 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by taryour(f): 9:54pm On Apr 14, 2012
talina: It doesnt have to be a competition.A man and woman are 2 sides to the same coin.I think if each brings their strengths to a relationship, and recognizes their own weaknesses, they could make a great team with mutual respect.

very very well said.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by ijebabe: 10:14pm On Apr 14, 2012
We need to clarify a couple of things here. Firstly, A man and a woman are not inferior to each other, and secondly a woman is to be submissive to her husband. As a Christian I believe the husband is the head of the home as God intended it to be. This does not mean that the role of the wife is to be a doormat who doesn't question her husbands decisions or actions, going about her wifely duties with a bowed head and muted lips! The bible says a wife is to be submissive to her husband and the husband to love his wife like himself. If a husband loves (in the true sense) his wife, she will defintely submit to him and vice versa. Note that we have the society's version and the religious version.

Now that that is out of the way, the role of women and wives in 2000AD have changed alot in 2012 and we all know the only thing constant in this life is change. Marriage nowadays is that of partnership where the wife consults with the husband on important decisions and husband the same. Women now occupy positions of power that wasn't possible in the old days, even in muslim countries in the Middle East where women hold seats in Parliament (this is big deal for the muslim community!). Even the catholic Church now have altar girls and female lay ministers/priests. Women are now empowered to lead, some countries have/had women as Presidents.

A man and a woman have different roles because we have different mindsets not because of superiority. Is a man less of a man because he stays home to take care of his own children while the wife is at work? Is a woman less of a woman because she has a very demanding job that doesn't allow her the quality time that she would love to spend with her kids instead? Moms, for instance, who work 2 jobs to keep up with the bills and maintain her family's livelihood.

While i'll respect my husband and never do anything without a proper discussion and decision with him, i will never raise my daughters to believe they are inferior to any man but to respect everyone and know that their husband is the head of the house and in most cases has the last word in important matters. If you believe your husband is making a wrong decision and can't convince him otherwise then let it be but he should defintely know the consequences/impact his decision can have on your lives (after all its a discussion and depends on the matter at hand). God will not judge a wife harshly for being submissive to her husband no matter how difficult, in fact that is what HE wants!

Personally, mutual love, respect and patience is neccessary in a marriage. Between a man amd woman, it should be mutual respect. If its physical strength that makes a man superior then there are some women out there that can outdo a man. If being an emotioanl being makes a woman inferior then there are men out there that are more emotionally unbalanced than some women. But i fear this is something that will never be resolved with so many opinions flying around and will be an ongoing battle for both sexes. Every one and every situation is different. So do whatever works for your relationship whether its a marriage, social gathering or at the workplace.

4 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Afam4eva(m): 10:41pm On Apr 14, 2012
When people try to circumvent the will of God, it causes problems. The reason why there's a high rate of divorce is because everybody is trying to prove that they're the head. Women were made to be under the headship of men and nothing should change that.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2012
Whatever.

Everybody should believe whatever they want to believe. If a man believes a woman is not equal to him, he should marry a woman who thinks so and vice versa. That way, nobody will take any body for granted.

The problem here is ego. Period.

There is no where in the Bible that says men and women are not equal.

The christian God gave men and women equal authority in Genesis and anything other thing is as a result of the curse of Eve.

Thanks to chauvinist pastors, all we hear is the man is the head. THE WOMAN IS NOT JUST THE NECK, SHE IS THE WHOLE BODY.

If the Bible says the woman is to help the man, any real xtian man who has died to self and ego will also know that the man should help the woman. Goes both ways.

Same goes for man should love his wife, shouldn't the woman love her husband too? But men full of ego will say, Noo o!

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 10:51pm On Apr 14, 2012
21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

By African standard, men and women are not equal.

But by the christian God's standards, they are certainly, all human beings are equal, all human beings got potential.

Just because Obama or Cameron are leaders of their country does not mena they are superior to everyone. Is Obama superior to Bill Gates or is Cameron superior to Bernie Ecclestone?

Women were given talents and brains by God who does not expect them to waste it (in a normal circumstance). Women have equal potential. The onlt thing is they are physicaly weaker not mentally weaker. If the woman is weak in any other aspect, it's as a result of African/Asian upbringing and programming.

All things being equal, there should be no limit to any human being's actualization of their potential. Cos the potential is from God not from man.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 11:02pm On Apr 14, 2012
1 peter 3:7 In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God's gift of new life (AFTER JESUS DIED AND BROKE THE CURSE). Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered.

I believe the christian God is a not a partial God. Eve was cursed in the beginning and God said the man would ruleover her. But Jesus broke THAT CURSE. No one is permittted to rule over another, we are meant to help each other. We dominate animals and the earth not each other.

So Moses brought their case before the LORD, 6 and the LORD said to him, 7 [b]“What Zelophehad’s daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance [/b]among their father’s relatives and give their father’s inheritance to them

If we can love our neighbour as ourselves (100%:100%), how much more our wives? Your neighbour is equal to you, but different. If you read the bible from a non-egositic perspective, you get it right. It is even common sense.

The most intelligent rule in the world for atheists and theists is that you should love thy neighbour as thyself.

2 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 11:07pm On Apr 14, 2012
Women should submit to the head. The man was created first, afterall someone has to come first. It is a matter of ORDER. So that's why a woman must submit not because the man is the owner of the house or because he's richer. And because God commanded it and with it comes a A REWARD.

[size=13pt]MOST AFRICAN WIVES SUBMIT TO THE MONEY (AND BECAUSE OF THE MONEY) NOT THE MAN.[/size]

In any relationship, two people cannot tbe the same thing. The follower is not inferior to the leader.

Obama's people are not inferior to him. At the end of the day, because of order, only one person can lead or make final decisions so that does not mean the others are not equal. There is nothing stopping a couple from buying a house together as opposed to the man owning 100% of the house.

If people are dead to ego and self like Christ commanded, all these equality talks will not arise. If the woman is more hard-working than the man or is using her talents more, won't she be more financially blessed? The problem is a lot of African pastors are chauvinist.

Most men are afraid that women who have been trained from birth to see men as 'hard people' will take them for granted and disrespect them if they do the right thing i.e. treat them as equal.

I once heard a minister, Pastor Dolapo Adelakun say that marriage is a union of two independent beings and that God never said, a woman cannot be richer than a man.

2 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 11:27pm On Apr 14, 2012
Galatians 3:28 (NIV)

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

there is nowhere in the Bible that says a woman cannot provide for her family so saying the man is greater than the woman just because of money. is . . .

Equality of people refers to our "value." We have equality among all men and women, while at the same time we have some who are in a position of authority over us such as members of congress, senators, and governors. They are in no way of greater value than the people they serve.

I will rather believe God personally and through the bible than believe 100 million people. I will rather be like Noah. I answer to Him alone on the last day(which is so soon by the way).I will rather God than follow man's tradition.

If I treat someone like an equal and I am disrespected, then I go to God and ask what next?

At the end of the day, may we all find what we want. It is a free world, we have the right to believe what we believe, African trad, xtian, muslim, Hindu, freemason, freethinking, and we have the right to live by what we believe. Individual freedom should be promoted.

2 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by freshera: 11:28pm On Apr 14, 2012
I know a woman who has stood by her husband for almost 20 yrs. They have no child and it's his fault. But now she has cancer and guess what the man still expects her to cook. Haba.

But I am not surprised, cos there is a saying that it's when you have compassion on yourself that people will have compassion on you. It's when you value yourself that people will value you.

She believes she is not equal to him and that's the way it has been. When the man helps, he behaves like he's doing her a favour. Fine, the couple is enviable cos they have stuck by each other even with their lack of children but mehn the cancer issue is an eye opener.

She is even doing chemo and yet . . .

What am I sayin? Wives take care of husbands all the time, even when they are sick, they pack vomit but can husbands do the same for wives without complaining or even looking outside? It's the mentality we are talking about that causes this.

How many men will spend their last dime on their wives' health for example? Most men spend cos they can afford it.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by ijebabe: 11:33pm On Apr 14, 2012
The underlying factor here, I feel, is motive. By claiming men are superior or both sexes should be equal what do you want or hope to get out of this? Is it for the egocentric individual to feel they are better or wiser than the other person, Or is it to be a protector and empower the weak? Is it to rebel, or use your God-given gifts/talents for the positives?
I know some religions take women as the weaker sex and I have even read that the word of a man is equal to that of 2 women in bearing witness. The days when women stay locked away at home is past and people need to realise that. The husband is the head of the house and the wife is to submit to him, no doubt, but the husband is obligated to lead with love. To lead, sometimes you have to follow also.
Again it is everyone to his/her own opinion.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by ronkebp(f): 5:02am On Apr 15, 2012
Freshera...thank you...All your post is EOD (END OF DISCUSSION). God bless you.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by queensmith: 8:03am On Apr 15, 2012
tpia@:
yes, you're a rabble rouser just like i thought.

explain this:

(I have a ) Stubborn girlfriend

https://www.nairaland.com/276584/sturborn-girlfriend#3925417

are you seun by any chance, or just one of his the usual touts around here.

silly question, i know. Isnt the answer obvious.

I should have known ,the poster is a bloody fool.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 15, 2012
No, they're not equal, as in, they're not the same. One does need the other and vice versa, however. Keys and locks are not equal, but the key has no purpose if there is no lock. A lock will remain closed and without purpose if there is no key. Tada.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by sweetcocoa(f): 9:57am On Apr 15, 2012
WTF is this poster saying?

Talking about submission and head,what the bible i read said is "wife submit to your OWN husband" so what's this rubbish about men and woman not being equal? Make we hear word jare.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by taryour(f): 10:17am On Apr 15, 2012
queensmith:

I should have known ,the poster is a bloody fool.

i am not suprised at all,its obvious u lack manners,dats y u can talk to a maried woman like dat,am sure u av elder sisters os brothers at home n am sure u woukdnt tok to dem as such or even ur parents d way u are toking to me. I gues u should b btwn 18 - 20yrs. Every oda woman has come here acting maturely with their own opinion and thier point was noted. I would advice u go back home n learn ur manners or betterstill face ur studies.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by taryour(f): 10:18am On Apr 15, 2012
sweetcocoa: WTF is this poster saying?

Talking about submission and head,what the bible i read said is "wife submit to your OWN husband" so what's this rubbish about men and woman not being equal? Make we hear word jare.
ur point is very well noted. Tnx for ur comment
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by taryour(f): 10:20am On Apr 15, 2012
ogugua88: No, they're not equal, as in, they're not the same. One does need the other and vice versa, however. Keys and locks are not equal, but the key has no purpose if there is no lock. A lock will remain closed and without purpose if there is no key. Tada.

ur point is also noted
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by taryour(f): 10:23am On Apr 15, 2012
ronkebp: Freshera...thank you...All your post is EOD (END OF DISCUSSION). God bless you.
madam ronke very true,it is indeed EOD.
@freshera,God bless u real good,
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by queensmith: 10:40am On Apr 15, 2012
taryour:

i am not suprised at all,its obvious u lack manners,dats y u can talk to a maried woman like dat,am sure u av elder sisters os brothers at home n am sure u woukdnt tok to dem as such or even ur parents d way u are toking to me. I gues u should b btwn 18 - 20yrs. Every oda woman has come here acting maturely with their own opinion and thier point was noted. I would advice u go back home n learn ur manners or betterstill face ur studies.

By your own admission we are not equal, you are inferior to me. I don't have to respect you since you are below me. i am your master and you are the doggy
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by olamide123: 10:53am On Apr 15, 2012
taryour: Impossible!! A Man & A Woman Can Never & Will Never Be Equal.

As mothers do we intend training our female children into believing they are equal to their brothers and the male they meet in life?

And how do you intend achieving this bit? By giving your sons better clothes? By making your sons go to better schools? By telling your daughters than their brothers are better than them?

I am here planning to bring up my children to love and RESPECT every human irrespective of their sex, religion, age, sexual orientation and race ( i taught my younger brothers this and honestly I envy their girlfriends grin) While you are busy planning to teach your

Boys that they are SUPERIOR to EVERY female and your girls that they are INFERIOR to every male. Sweetie I wish you all the best doing this, but those angels deserve better, trust me.

See why we need to pray for our children right from conception. May they not come across children brought up in the way the OP plans to bring hers up

4 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 15, 2012
ijebabe: We need to clarify a couple of things here. Firstly, A man and a woman are not inferior to each other, and secondly a woman is to be submissive to her husband. As a Christian I believe the husband is the head of the home as God intended it to be. This does not mean that the role of the wife is to be a doormat who doesn't question her husbands decisions or actions, going about her wifely duties with a bowed head and muted lips! The bible says a wife is to be submissive to her husband and the husband to love his wife like himself. If a husband loves (in the true sense) his wife, she will defintely submit to him and vice versa. Note that we have the society's version and the religious version.

Now that that is out of the way, the role of women and wives in 2000AD have changed alot in 2012 and we all know the only thing constant in this life is change. Marriage nowadays is that of partnership where the wife consults with the husband on important decisions and husband the same. Women now occupy positions of power that wasn't possible in the old days, even in muslim countries in the Middle East where women hold seats in Parliament (this is big deal for the muslim community!). Even the catholic Church now have altar girls and female lay ministers/priests. Women are now empowered to lead, some countries have/had women as Presidents.

A man and a woman have different roles because we have different mindsets not because of superiority. Is a man less of a man because he stays home to take care of his own children while the wife is at work? Is a woman less of a woman because she has a very demanding job that doesn't allow her the quality time that she would love to spend with her kids instead? Moms, for instance, who work 2 jobs to keep up with the bills and maintain her family's livelihood.

While i'll respect my husband and never do anything without a proper discussion and decision with him, i will never raise my daughters to believe they are inferior to any man but to respect everyone and know that their husband is the head of the house and in most cases has the last word in important matters. If you believe your husband is making a wrong decision and can't convince him otherwise then let it be but he should defintely know the consequences/impact his decision can have on your lives (after all its a discussion and depends on the matter at hand). God will not judge a wife harshly for being submissive to her husband no matter how difficult, in fact that is what HE wants!

Personally, mutual love, respect and patience is neccessary in a marriage. Between a man amd woman, it should be mutual respect. If its physical strength that makes a man superior then there are some women out there that can outdo a man. If being an emotioanl being makes a woman inferior then there are men out there that are more emotionally unbalanced than some women. But i fear this is something that will never be resolved with so many opinions flying around and will be an ongoing battle for both sexes. Every one and every situation is different. So do whatever works for your relationship whether its a marriage, social gathering or at the workplace.
exactly!! I couldn't have said it better.
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 15, 2012

4 Likes

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 15, 2012
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 15, 2012
taryour:

LMAO . What will i not read on this forum? Shut up, so because you are a married woman everybody has to respect you even when you are acting silly? I never believed you were a woman let alone maried and thanks to Tpia for opening Your Nyash. You did not get the gold medal you were looking for from the men on this forum so sorry you hear, e go better
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Tgirl4real(f): 11:57am On Apr 15, 2012
taryour: Impossible!! A Man & A Woman Can Never & Will Never Be Equal.

Many times, I have heard some women claiming equality with men. Its a sin and we cant reverse God words that A MAN IS THE HEAD OF A WOMAN. It is only an insane woman that will claim equality with her husband. No reason whatsoever makes us equal.
You are absolutely right. I have been trained as a woman esp in church to take the back seat and allow my hubby to lead.

As mothers do we intend training our female children into believing they are equal to their brothers and the male they meet in life?

I donot agree with this. Are you a northerner? How can u say ur female daughter is not equal to their brother. Training your kids up in this way may lead to you raising chavaunistic males.

Every human is born equal, boy or girl, but our roles differ. Men are created to lead and be the head, it's a natural thing. That is why I do not support female pastors. Traditionally, it is also very rare to find a 'female king'.

On the otherhand, women are created to support, encourage, help. We are more subtle in our ways. Only in an extreme case will u see God permitting a female leader e.g. Deborah.

Please, let's put things in the right order.

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by DukeNija(m): 12:00pm On Apr 15, 2012
freshera: I know a woman who has stood by her husband for almost 20 yrs. They have no child and it's his fault. But now she has cancer and guess what the man still expects her to cook. Haba.

But I am not surprised, cos there is a saying that it's when you have compassion on yourself that people will have compassion on you. It's when you value yourself that people will value you.

She believes she is not equal to him and that's the way it has been. When the man helps, he behaves like he's doing her a favour. Fine, the couple is enviable cos they have stuck by each other even with their lack of children but mehn the cancer issue is an eye opener.

She is even doing chemo and yet . . .

What am I sayin? Wives take care of husbands all the time, even when they are sick, they pack vomit but can husbands do the same for wives without complaining or even looking outside? It's the mentality we are talking about that causes this.

How many men will spend their last dime on their wives' health for example? Most men spend cos they can afford it.
See Fallacy of generalization. Na wa O. The devil must be a Nigerian Man. undecided
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
ftmom:
@olamide123

A resounding "amen" to that.
In this day and age!!!!
And what was that bit about how to talk to a married woman. Next thing we will hear is how unmarried females are genetically inferior to their married female counterparts
Seriously? I thought I had seen it all!

Btw, I have been happily married for almost 20 yrs so this is not sour grapes/frustration/jealousy. I'm inclined to believe your assertions are rooted in your upbringing and your marriage but even so, all i can say is "nkan mbe"
I was just coming back to comment on that married women post, but you have done it for me. I think the OP has some unresolved issues somewhere. SMH
Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by maryini(f): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
Has anyone noticed that it was actually a curse God placed on Eve that is causing some of our male folks to think they are superior. "Your desire shall be for your husband and he shall rule over you" Guys pls we have been liberated from this...you don't hold the reigns anymore. Let go and let God grin

1 Like

Re: A Man And A Woman Can Never Be Equal by DukeNija(m): 12:14pm On Apr 15, 2012
All Men are born equal. I remember my aunt who's a PHD holder in S/psychology told me it's a man's world. Women are paid less in every field except Modelling. A woman is not inferior to a man, but under her own husband. My aunt is not inferior to a bus conductor. She is only under her husband who is the head of her home. She is not equal to him. The moment a woman puts herself in the same rank with her husband, her parents are about to visit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / "My daughter can speak 3 international languages" Nigerian Dad praise daughter / Please Help!who Do I Confess To,pastor Or My Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.